IMDb > "Video Game High School" (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Video Game High School"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Video Game High School" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Fantastic work!!!!!!!

Author: skcolombage from Sri Lanka
6 June 2012

This is the best entertaining show I've seen in a while! It might not have the heavy star studded cast, production or anything.. But these guys who have spent time in to making this are the real stars! No gimmicks! This show captures the essence of fun! Its other worldly! And as unique as Harry Potter was when it first came out, this concept has also never been taken seriously enough! And yet they portrait this in a great scale! The acting is fine! This script is fine. But above all the graphics are outstanding! And this is really a trend in the making! I really hope these guys make many more seasons! And I hope they benefit from all this at the end! And Freddie and Mat and all the others who thought of this amazing concept,, please don't allow the middle men to screw your ideas! I know this is not serious or even scientific! But this is certainly what you want to see to have a good laugh! And all those who have not scene this, watch this at rocketjump. Its really worth your time than watching *****'s got talent! Cause if you want to see real talent, its all in this Show!

Organic, Flawed, Perfect

Author: azderson from Coburg, OR
17 July 2012

I wish I could watch this series again through the eyes of someone else. Someone who hasn't been watching freddiew videos for over a year, and wasn't refreshing the VGHS Kickstarter page to watch the donations accumulate, and wasn't subscribed to bfirenzi and EpicMealTime and feastoffiction ...

My first-timer friends fit all of those qualifications. To my delight, they were all just as engrossed and entertained as I was. It was as if I had helped create the episodes and was yearning for their approval.

The series is not flawless. The character development felt a bit rushed and a critical eye can spot minor inconsistencies. But who cares? What makes this series special is that it wasn't polished by the Hollywoodlanders. It's organic. And in the end, I was able to share a common experience with my non-youtuber friends: we loved it.

(Shout out to Brian "The Law" Firenzi--you stole the show, fantastic acting)

Author: sarthakcroy from INDIA
16 July 2012

Brings back the memories of the good old high school movie styles along with some mind blowing action scenes.This short movie series is one of the best among all out there.Here the plot and the cinematography is so well done, that one wouldn't move his eyes from the screen for a moment.The computer Graphics done through out the movie for generating special effects is flawless and fantastic.I congratulate Matthew Arnold, Brandon Laatsch and Freddie Wong for making a superb short movie series.Not to forget...the writers also did a fantastic job for writing a strong plot.Hope they decide to do another sequel.....At last I would definitely recommend everyone to watch this.Its a complete entertainer.

Don't hate on this so much

Author: David Rao from United States
20 February 2013

I get where some people are coming from, but I don't agree. The point of this show is to entertain, not to have an intricate plot and great humor. I know myself that the puns are terrible. But that's what makes them great. I know some of you agree... Freddie made this series for the fans. That's what it's about. Not swindling money, or getting popular and into theaters. It's all about the fans. And please don't give me hate for this, I am just trying to support a cause. This series did not take our money, we gave it. If you have ever wanted something then you know too. When you want something badly, you'll go for it. As much as it takes, you'll do it. And that's what it's about.

Kind of like Harry Potter for gamers.

Author: corpse_man from Canada
31 December 2012

I am 34 and have been gaming for around 25 years now. I am also big into online gaming, and my son is also getting into it. We watched this together and both loved it. My daughter loved it too.

I found this series, hilarious, imaginative, and just really cool, despite being a little unpolished. I can see it becoming super popular for teenagers. I wish more people knew about Video game high school, I had never heard of it until last night. I would really like to see this succeed in a big way.

My only complaint is that sometimes, it starts to feel like a YTV show. At times it feels like the target audience all of a sudden drops in age by like 10 years. At 34 years of age, most of the series I thought was very watchable, but some moments were just too YTV-ish. My son liked the entire thing. However, I think Video Game High school would appeal to more people without the "YTV" moments.

Video game High school is kind of like Harry Potter, but with video games as the theme instead of magic.

Great show given the budget

Author: darkwingsoul-music
8 January 2013

The only reason I truly had to dock this show any points is because of the cheesy one liners that often left you cringing. However, I must say that the overall flow of the show was quite nice, and provided a unique spin on gaming. Now it's obvious the character development could use some work as well, however, you must consider the fact that none of the writers/producers/directors had ever previously worked on an episodic series like VGHS. I believe that as a first time attempt at a series centrally about gaming, it was an effort not in vain. Although certain aspects of the show could use some work, I have to say that the show left me with a sweet taste in my mouth for more VGHS. This show allowed me to experience my teenage dream through someone else's eyes; And this is why I must give it the credit it is due. This is a series you should definitely give a chance. If you aren't pleased with season one, then I suggest you give the upcoming season Two a chance. They have taken many suggestions from the community, as well as from professional editors/writers, which should allow the story to develop further. VGHS is most definitely a series to watch for.

Author: killer1h from United States
17 July 2012

This show is what happens when you let people write, act and direct about something they love. It's all fun factor and none of the commercialized compromise. A show for gamers by gamers, that really puts you in touch with your inner child.

So we have Brian D who is the main star of the show, and as it turns out as he's playing just another run in a mil game and goes AFK the top gamer in the world gets on and demolishes his team. As he comes back he doesn't realize who he's playing against and sees a grenade on his head which he cleverly kicks back at the gamer and detonates winning his team the match, and humiliating Law(the top gamer). The show then goes on through a series of things that happen as Brian D gets invite into VGHS the school where you learn about every aspect of gaming, and without spoiling too much it just gets crazy from there. Bottom line this is exactly the kind of show that needed to be made, to prove once and for all it's not about name brands and regurgitated actors. It's about passion and commitment to making series about doing what you love, and let's face it every gamer at one point or another thought about what it would be like to destroy the worlds best on national TV. 10/10 please don't change a thing and keep it coming!

A rare movie which is exactly what it aspires to be

Author: Jake Kramer
25 January 2013

VGHS is a love letter to video games and those who love them.

The basic construction is reminiscent of paint by numbers. All the necessary plot points are there and more or less exactly where they need to be, enough so anyway that the story is complete if simple. You won't find much by way of nuance or depth, but that's okay, the movie is fun.

It's clear everyone involved in the project earnestly loved what they were doing. There's an honest innocence to it. This is a film for 11-15 year-olds and there's nothing wrong with that.

If you can accept what it is, you'll find it's a nice little gem.

Season 3 ruined it

Author: mbacon-95459
18 June 2015

Loved seasons 1 and 2. They were very entertaining and there is nothing that I've found that quite resembles VGHS. Season 3 was horrible. The writers deviated from the formula too much and seemed to just give up. I would recommend making a 4th season if and only if it mimics the creative and fun construct of seasons 1 and 2.

Ten lines of text in order to publish?

Seems strange.

Maybe this will work.

Guess we'll find out.

The show remarkable transforms from an easy- going tale of a few friends who play video games, to one with serious emotional weight.

Author: aspammer-96946
25 April 2015

Each season is so dramatically different from the other, its as if you're watching 3 separate shows.

The first season: It's immediately clear this show was created by youtubers. It's funny, irreverent, yet lacking the capability to deal with real substance.

The second season: It contains all the humor and quirk that made the first season enjoyable to watch, yet there are issues delicately woven in. Relationships, parents, and friendship are explored, without the show feeling contrived or fake. Personally, this is my favorite season.

The third season: I never would have thought in a million years that a show titled Video Game High School could ever carry so much emotional weight. It's character-driven story line is poignantly realistic, yet I feel remorse over what the show use to be. I watched the first and second seasons because they were fun. They were funny, but not How-I- Met-Your-Mother funny, with one liners and punchlines. It was the kind of fun everyone has experienced, the casual yet incomparable fun with friends that makes one forget life exists outside of that moment. However this feeling is absent in the third season. The fate of the characters doesn't seem so concrete and certain. Maybe things don't turn out alright. Maybe they never will. The characters fall prey to real- world issues. And while these issues are explored fantastically, I still find myself missing when I could sit down, turn on the TV, and know I was in for a barrel of laughs.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]