Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 2
Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

the Dark Knight Returns with a BANG!

Author: thezakman182 from Medan, Indonesia
17 January 2013

This is the animated film comic fans have been waiting for. Batman fanatics will want to watch this and the Dark Knight Returns Part I back to back. Casual movies goers will want to head to their local comic shop for the first time ever.

The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller is among the most acclaimed graphic novels ever. For years fans hoped for a film version of this four part miniseries. Just when we thought the cinematic world of Batman couldn't get any better (thanks to Chris Nolan's masterful Dark Knight Trilogy) we were finally bestowed the very faithful film adaption of the Dark Knight Returns.

This films follows immediately after the Dark Knight Returns Part I. Bruce Wayne is old but more determined than ever to reclaim the city. Batman is met with both praise and animosity from the public. Commissioner Gordon has retired. The new commissioner wants Batman arrested. A teenage girl is the new Robin. Nazi gangs are roaming the streets. Joker is being released from jail. Green Arrow is getting involved in Gotham City's conflicts. Street gangs proclaim to be the Sons of Batman. The Cold War is about to reach its nuclear climax. Superman has been hired as an assassin by the president....

All of these events come together beautifully (and with many surprises) in a well-paced, brilliantly written, thought provoking, elegantly animated, and savagely action-packed epic played out by fascinating characters. The Dark Knight Returns reaffirms that the Legend of the Dark Knight is timeless and can only die when the rest of the human race goes with it.

totally epic

Author: shuhaabshah-3 from India
1 February 2013

after the first part came out i thought this is as far as a thriller animation can get............ . I WAS WRONG.

I don't know how they have managed to show all this in 75 minutes .. but i thought i was watching a 2 hour movie and the thrill never went down . NOT EVEN FOR A MINUTE ,

the battle between BATMAN AND JOKER was mind blowing and to be honest my body was shaking

but to my surprise the end battle between BATMAN AND SUPERMAN was even more brutal and thrilling .What else could you ask for

I have watched almost all the batman anime ..

BUT TAKE MY WORD THIS IS THE BEST BATMAN ANIMATION EVER.

Satisfying second part

Author: thebackofmyhouse from Malaysia
15 January 2013

The first part was in itself great, but the second part really breaks the boundary of excellence. Not being familiar to the graphic novel origins of the story, what happens in second part really blows my mind. Not only does Batman have the Joker to contend with, but put Superman together in the mix, and you get another level of awesomeness.

I feel like the animation in the second part is more fluid, the fighting choreography was smoother and the direction, especially the "camera" work was definitely better than the first. An overall improvement. However, it might also be due to more "stuff" happening in the second part, thus more avenues to feature all these improvements.

This is one of the best animated movies I've had the chance of seeing. It even stands fairly well on its own without watching the first part, but seeing the first part adds a lot to the enjoyment of the second. Watch this. I don't give out 9 stars easily, and this movie is better than every movie I've watched in 2012. A very good start to 2013.

Batman : The Dark Knight Returns (Part 1 & 2)

Author: Piraveen Mahesan from Colombo, Sri Lanka
5 February 2013

WB/DC's Direct-to-DVD Animated Film "BATMAN : THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS" is an Adaptation of Frank Miller's comic published in 1986.

Summary (Without Spoilers): Bruce Wayne is now 55 years old & 10 years have passed since the retirement of Batman. With the rise of a new nemesis called the Mutant Gang, the city descends deep into chaos and the Dark Knight is forced to wear his cape again. Despite his age clearly showing, Batman still takes the fight to injustice with the help of a new Robin in the form a teenage girl named Carrie Kelly. While 70 year old Commissioner Gordon is being replaced with an Anti-Batman minded Ellen Yindel. Things get worse as two of Batman's Greatest Villains, Two Face & the Joker who have been keeping quite with a plastic surgery and in a catatonic state respectively break out of Arkham Asylum with the public blaming Batman for their returns. The government feels Batman has gotten out of hand with his Do-whatever-to-do-what-is-right policy and sends his former ally, Superman to take him down once and for all. The film also features Selina Kyle who is no longer Catwoman and Oliver Queen (Green Arrow) who plays a short but vital part to tie up this Masterpiece.

My Views: This is one of the darkest portrayals of the Batman universe and it makes me wonder how the hell did they get away from an R rating. Never has been an animated movie been so thrilling and so serious for me like these. The whole story and some of the fight scenes are just epic. While face-offs with Harvey Dent & the Mutant Leader in Part 1 was great, battles with the Joker & Superman in Part 2 takes animation movies to a whole new level. Some might be disappointed not to hear Kevin Conroy & Mark Hamill's familiar voices, I'd say the chosen actors to play the older counterparts was a right decision. Some subplots might be mildly uninteresting, but that is irrelevant when most of the package is stuffed with such greatness.

All this ties up perfectly as a well paced, superbly written, beautifully animated and savagely action packed movie with many surprises. The Dark Knight Returns reaffirms the fact that the Legend of the Dark Knight will continue to amaze us in unprecedented ways and be part and parcel of us fans forever.

Final Verdict : 10/10

Wow!

Author: nama chakravorty from India
22 October 2013

The continuation of 'Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 1', 'Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 2' is a stellar sequel to a equally superior prequel. Its Wow!

'Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 2' Synopsis: The Batman has returned after a 10-year absence. The Gotham authorities want to arrest him. An old foe wants a reunion. The Feds want the Man of Tomorrow to put a stop to him.

'Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 2' begins & ends with a bang. The Writing Material is fantastic, it leaves a lasting-impact. The Rivalry between two of the greatest superheroes is a delight to watch. Even the sequences involving Joker are extremely competent. In numerous ways, 'Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 2' overtakes its prequel, thanks to the fabulous execution. The Animation is mesmerizing. Jay Olivia's Direction is very well-done.

Vocal Performances are remarkable: Peter Weller as Bruce Wayne/Batman, is flawless, yet again! Mark Valley as Superman, is convincing. Michael Emerson as Joker, is despicable & loathsome. A Class Act! Tress MacNeille as Selina Kyle, is appropriate. Conan O'Brien as David Endochrine, is witty & entertaining in a bit role. Ariel Winter as Carrie Kelley/Robin, David Selby as Commissioner James Gordon & Michael Jackson as Alfred Pennyworth, are good.

On the whole, 'Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 2' is so good, it has the potential to become an instant classic.

An epic conclusion to a grand two-parter

Author: xamtaro from http://thexamtaroshowvault.blogspot.sg
26 April 2013

The animated adaptation of Frank Miller's epic classic Batman tale concludes in "The Dark Knight Returns: Part 2". Whatever made part one great makes this one just as enjoyable. The producers continue their policy of adapting 100% the critically acclaimed graphic novel while expanding on story elements that could not have been expanded upon due to a lack of space in the original 4 issues worth of comics.

Spurred on by Batman's actions in the first part, The Joker uses a clever ruse to return to crime and senseless murder. As Batman attempts to bring the increasingly chaotic city under control, numerous forces are out to get him. The Joker wants to bait him into the ultimate showdown, the Cops under a new commissioner want to arrest him, the United States Government wants to end him. All the while, a war is brewing that would tear the country apart. Driven to the brink, Batman does the unthinkable and the government brings in a red and blue secret weapon who is faster than a speeding bullet.

Easily the most powerful conclusion and the finest animated production from Warner Premiere, the whole thing looks superb. Animation is of the highest quality, rivaling that of big budget anime movies. Fight scenes are in full motion, bristling with a kinetic sense of energy and without a single short cut. All of it set to a unique score by composer Christopher Drake which combines blockbuster orchestral tunes with a futuristic noir inspired synthesizer sounds. Again, the main complaint is more with the art than the animation. Frank Miller's art is faithfully replicated but in certain scenes, the quality of the art takes a nose dive. One such scene involves superman taking on a naval fleet; the way the ships are drawn look pathetically cheap compared to the rest of the movie.

And the final fight between Superman and Batman has some laughable dips in quality too.

Telling a story in a new medium would warrant some tweaks. For example, Fans would remember that the comic featured walls of text to give exposition and explanation. In animation, the story is expanded enough so that said exposition is not necessary. Events flow naturally into each other and scenes that were slightly confusing to the casual reader makes perfect sense: scenes like Joker's final moments, the war with the Russians, why Gotham is suddenly snowing when it was a heat wave in the first movie etc. Just one of the examples of how this movie expands and improves on the original. The only thing lacking is that Frank Miller littered his narrative with characters' inner monologues. These give us an insight into the thoughts and personality of the characters; these are also, sadly, missing. And with it goes that insight that audience could have been given.

The voice cast are just as top notch as the previous installment. Michael Emerson's Joker is oozing with a certain homoerotic creepiness, quipping in a psychotic slur. Just listen to his dialogue during his climatic hand to hand showdown with Batman, it is almost traumatising. On the downside, Peter Weller seems to gave grown a little bored of the role as Batman. His deep baritone becomes almost monotone and his inflection is.....all wrong. Just listen to that half hearted "I Am the Law" speech he gives to the ex-mutant gang. Yes the script is the same as the book, but the delivery is below expectations.

Yet with its strict adherence to the source material, this animated movie also carries over the flaws of the source material. A good number of going-ons require some suspension of disbelief. Like how does Joker get his hands on lip stick that can mind control people? How does someone make near sentient robot dolls that spew poison gas and flies and has the strength of Superman? Oh well.....

It can be said that Dark Knight Returns, when both parts are viewed as one whole movie, is a true animated epic worthy of some awards. Perhaps the slight dip in some animation quality was due to the fact that they were producing Part 2 concurrently with the "Superman Unbound" animated feature. Nevertheless, this is a solid animated feature with good production values. DC and Warner Premiere keeps topping themselves, and the next animated feature will be hard pressed to keep this level of quality. The Dark Knight Returns duology is a must watch for any comic book fan.

The Batman is back again....again.

Author: chandlerjoey_2004 from United States
3 February 2013

This was an excellent translation of Miller's piece of the same name. Animation and the overall attitude of the movie was perfectly executed like the first part. This Batman mini-series is so satiating for Miller's fans; but it is also very satisfying to Dark Knight patrons unfamiliar with his work. I remember reading the description before reading the graphic novel; and then kind-of begrudgingly read them because I wasn't anticipating a Batman/Superman story would be as gritty and raw as Miller typically does and I was inevitably still in awe of the beauty of that entire side of the story. I didn't begrudgingly watch this series but my excited meant reestablished. Absolutely bloody-well done!

Excellent animation

Author: truk91
7 August 2013

Part 1 was good but part 2 was great. I haven't seen many Batman animations and this just makes you want to watch more.

The plot is great and dark, the way it should be. There is plenty of action (shooting, fighting, chases). Two epic battles, just non stop action, bloody action as well.

The animation looks great and it sounds great too. This was really enjoyable and extremely well made, one of the best animations I have ever seen. Batman, Superman, Joker - What more do you need?

Well worth watching, this is one not to be missed.

8/10.

It is Glorious!

Author: Naim Smash from Rasht, Iran
31 October 2013

Batman is my number one superhero, Always and Forever. I always follow movies, TV shows or video games, and everything came out about batman, with Scrutiny. And I'm not totally cool with making characters different than usual. Specially comic Superheroes, Specially seniors of them, and this "Specialty" is even more with The Dark Knight. I watched both part of "Batman: The Dark Knight Returns" with that background, And I realized; When they make it right... WOW! it could be Glorious! We can see this Glory and Greatness in this 150 minutes of "Batman: The Dark Knight Returns". I enjoyed watching these two parts. It was like something I was waiting for, for a long time.

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Part II

Author: johnhstrm from Sweden
26 July 2013

I had a really hard time believing that Part II would be better than Part I, I was wrong. This movie was packed from start to finish and I never found myself even the slightest bit bored.

The first part with the Joker could have been a movie by itself. It felt like over 1 hour of the movie had passed at that point, but in a good way. I was really excited from the ending of Part I when the Joker did his "B-B-B-Batmaaan, daaaarling" thing. The Joker was portrayed in a good way by the way he acted and talked throughout the movie.

One thing I did not like and that I didn't like from the first one either is how the new Robin is played.

I had some doubts about the Superman part, but it turned out really great and I love how the battle between them turned out, especially the ending!

Overall an awesome movie!

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]