IMDb > The Cohasset Snuff Film (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Cohasset Snuff Film

The Cohasset Snuff Film More at IMDbPro »

Judging a film by reviewer ratings - a meta review

Author: AnusPresley from Kosmopolites
28 January 2013

Firstly, is anybody really going to shed any tears when the "found footage" genre finally dies its long overdue death? Anyhow, I was prompted to add my thoughts after looking through the written reviews here and felt some things really needed to be added.

1. This film has an average rating of 3.0 from 26 users

2. The written reviews rated this film at 9, 8 and 9

3. Each of these reviewers have a total of one, and only one, review on IMDb.

4. Subtract these three review scores from the total and the average rating drops to 2.3 - which is the level that should trigger alarm bells. It ain't easy to score that low here.

5. The one external review (horrornews.net) tries to be as polite as it can, but does raise some other points of interest which are not mentioned in the IMDb user reviews: the absence of film credits; that the "based on a true story" claims fall apart on investigation; and, quote: "Essentially what this film is, is a collection of the Youtube videos that follow Collin Mason from being a snot-nosed teen into his self recorded murder exploits".

6. The horrornews.net review has only one comment from a person under the pseudonym "CinematicCritic", claiming to be a horror cinema connoisseur and reviewer but offering no credentials or links, who attempts to reassert that yes, this is indeed based on real life but, again fails to provide references. The rest of the rather long comment has to be read to be appreciated as an exercise in true shill-craft.

My final thoughts. Horror fans are a fickle bunch. And there is a golden rule no aspiring new film maker should ever break. Don't take us for a ride by feeding us false premises and praise for one's own genius. We have long memories and we don't often get fooled twice.

Yet another found footage that people were suckered in by but which will disappoint the critical enthusiast.

Author: Shawn Stetsko
13 June 2014

I think that the reason a lot of people gave this movie high credit is it is topical... dealing with school killings, which is sure to strike a chord with many Americans. I checked it out based on one such recommendation. I was told it was a daring insight into the mind of a school killer and that you could watch the decline of the kids mind through the progression of the story. Frankly... BS. The character's decline is more like one step from a comic villain into a only slightly more villainous comic villain, and the acting is so god awfully hammy I actual didn't know whether to find it funny or painful. A couple of the support characters don't do a bad job, although most are less than sterling performers... but the lead... :P All the director needed to add was a maniacal laugh as he wrings his hands. Nor is it daring. This has been done, several times, and several times it has been done so much better. Don't believe the hype... this movie is just tripe, but if you are an American teenager... well, you might think it is good.

Interesting and mind chilling film

Author: Trish Ann from United States
30 August 2014

I watched this film thinking it was going to be a typical made up blood and gore film. It was not. It was more of a look into the mind of a serial killer and watching as he fell deeper into insanity. I felt it was very well put together, and kept me interested throughout the entire movie. I recommend this film to anyone who is fascinated with the psychological aspect of serial killers. If slasher films are your thing, you may be disappointed though. Otherwise, this one is not a waste of time. I found myself very focused and had actual reactions while watching this movie. It gets into your mind and you can almost feel what the people in the movie feel, which makes it chilling. 7 stars for sure.

One of the worst "performances" I have ever seen by a lead actor

Author: manuelasaez from New York
26 November 2014

As a huge fan of found-footage, this has got to be one of the worst, if not the worst, FF film I have ever seen. The lead was beyond incompetent, so much so that he actually ruined the film. His awkward pauses, and uninspired performance just made me laugh out loud, and not in a good way. It was like watching an amateur try to remember his lines. There were some convincing people in this movie, in particular, the rest of the high school cast. But when your lead is that untalented, how can you save the rest of the movie? It had great potential, but honestly, nothing good can be said about the actual finished product. It was just plain terrible. People really need to stop casting family members and friends in their movies, and find people with actual talent instead. It is a shame that the premise was wasted by such a horrible actor. Avoid this film and do not support such shoddy and poorly conceived film making.

A disturbing reality of a person's mind that no one would suspect

Author: angiequidim from United States
23 February 2014

In 2009, the town of Cohasset, Massachusetts stopped being a small peaceful town in the eastern seaboard. 17-year-old Collin Mason murdered three classmates and videotaped and uploaded his accounts for the world to see. Although all the sites have with the footage have taken the videos down, copies were spread and still available through the underground.

If you like found footage films this is one that will have your hairs standing on the back of your neck. The chilling tale of this disturbed individual and the interviews of the people around him will take you into a dark place. It was something so horrible I really couldn't imagine watching it, much less hearing it. The movie subject is so disturbing to hear and so realistic you forget it's a movie.

Edward Payson takes some risks and it pays off in the end. If you like slashers and psychological thrillers, the cast will paint a picture that will keep you awake at night wondering and thinking of the unthinkable. Steven Wu does an excellent job playing Colin Mason and his voice lingers even after the damage is done. This is a very disturbing experience and if you are into being scared out of your wits, then watch this film.

.A secret Now Told For The First Time

Author: Philip Hewitson from Durham, England
20 March 2014

A normal 17 year old growing up in the USA would be studying, playing sports or possibly designing the latest app but Collin Mason from Cohasset in Massachusetts has other ideas involving the demise of his class mates.

The Cohasset snuff film reminds me of the blair witch project because of it's personal camera cinematography and the horror combination but another likeness is not knowing if it's real or acted.

The movie is based around Collin with snippets of interviews from people close to events or have something to add, collin describes his hate rid for others and the end result is quite chilling.

The movie is very well constructed considering the budget and if you like real horror and extreme violence this is well worth watching.

Don't expect, just experience

Author: drhnj from United States
29 January 2013

I've seen a lot of horror films, from mainstream to low budget indie, but I won't call myself an expert. I will say though that if you go into this movie expect a gory, blood gushing slasher, you're not going to get what you are looking for. Perhaps the best way to describe this movie is more psychological thriller with a tinge of horror. This movies doesn't delve too deeply into the gruesome, but rather adheres to the old adage "what you don't see can scare you." It doesn't go for cheap jumps like most of the mainstream horror films do now but rather studies the inner workings of what drives people to commit these crimes through the "found footage" genre. While it may not be in the highest of production values, it does emphasize in the character and story structure which is what is needed in this genre. Take the time to watch this movie, but don't let it M. Night Shyamalan you into expecting what it isn't.

fantastic horror

Author: tpkwqtlk from United States
30 January 2013

I read some of the other reviews online and decided to give this film a shot. I am not the biggest indie film fan, let alone a horror movie fan. All I can say is that I was so pleasantly surprised with this movie. I went into it knowing what it was about and knowing the basic plot. What I didn't know was how awesome the story, the timing and the overall atmosphere of the world that you are thrown into was. I though this was just another "found footage" movie, but it is much more than that. It has a great documentary style, with found footage mixed in. I loved how is flipped back and forth and it really drew you into everything that happens. This was a really great movie and like I said, even if you aren't really into the indie and/or horror genre, this is still definitely worth a watch.

Take a walk through the mind of Colin.

Author: David Kingsley from Bridgewater, MA
3 January 2013

Don't judge a movie by it's cover. This is not a slash 'em up gore-fest. Instead they let you into the mind of a killer in order to try to get some incite on what is actually going through his mind.

I have never done well while watching "home movies" because of the cameras shakiness, however, this camera work was handled excellent.

Steven Wu gives an excellent performance as Colin. Ted Payson did an superb job walking us through every event and lets us see the changes Colin endures throughout the film. There is a lot of talent throughout this film, and personally, I'm really excited to see the other works of Ted Payson, along with where the cast and crew goes from here.

Sensational Movie

Author: sebastianfort from United States
3 January 2013

This movie is sensational! The view of perspective is highly unique combined with an unpredictable storyline kept me on the edge of my seat. The way this picture is filmed truly brings out an airy feeling throughout. There were no dull moments; each scene was gripping and I found myself attempting to out think the main character on his next move. Being from a small rural town I was connected and understood the "local folk" feel of the film. The story is realistic and can happen anywhere also there is a personal touch that brings you into the realm of Cohasset, Massachusetts. The Cohasset Snuff Film is doused with a touch of twisted humor that was truly enjoyable. I even thought of this film after a few days of watching and the story was still in my thoughts.