IMDb > Stalled (2013/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Stalled

Stalled More at IMDbPro »

Harmless comedy, will bring a smile or two.

Author: Flow from Romania
6 November 2013

Stalled, in my personal opinion, is actually a good comedy/horror, something that works even for girls, even for the stomach weak people, because it doesn't rely that much on gore. Of course, it has its parts, but mostly it tries to be constructive, as much as it can, especially considering the plot and somehow I think it succeed.

We all know that a janitor is trapped in a women's restroom, so if you lower your expectations a little, especially from those 2 bad reviews that are here, I think you might just laugh a little at this one. I watched it become more interesting, more humorous and smarter, therefore I do recommend such a movie. You want a real crapper, then watch "Zombie ass: toilette of the dead", you wanna have some innocent fun to pass the time, sure, give "Stallet" a try. I'm telling you, if you are a horror fan that likes to put one eye on the cross with comedy from time to time, this one will do the trick. A nice add-on to the gender.

Other horror comedies I would recommend: Dead Snow; Night of the living dorks; One eyed monster; Grabbers.

An hilarious and heartfelt horror comedy

Author: May_lo from United States
6 November 2013

Stalled was a real surprise. A zombie picture that takes place in a restroom? Sure to be full of puerile urine jokes, yes? No. The surprise element came in the form of emotional u-turns (u-bends?), well drawn characterizations and unique performances. The majority of the reviews for this film have been great, the bad ones seem to be on IMDb and are so bitter it is clear that the individuals writing them have more of a deepseated problem with themselves than any film!

This film is equally silly, emotional and action packed and the makers (for the most part)stay true to their all-in-a-stall concept. I saw this with a festival crowd and the entire audience cheered and laughed and whooped throughout. So inventive I squealed. Give it a chance - you won't regret it.

A fresh zombie film in a stale genre

Author: Lauren Donis from Australia
25 November 2013

I heard about this film whilst preparing for my first FrightFest and the concept of a zombie apocalypse taking place in a toilet instantly excited me. Not only are zombie films my favourite type of films, I also love films set in a limited location. I desperately wanted to see it, but I figured it was either going to be awesome or terrible. Thankfully, it was the former.

Unlike many films that trick you with an interesting and original concept which is barely utilised, it fully explores the thing that draws you in. The majority of the film takes place in the stall, and the rest of it within the bathroom (mostly), so there are no unnecessary filler scenes.

It is more or less a one-man show, with Dan Palmer taking on the job of carrying the entire film on his shoulders. Playing to his strengths, he manages to create a likable and sympathetic hero in WC, as well as delivering his lines perfectly and just being damn hilarious. I knew I was going to love it as soon as soon as he uttered, "There's zombies in your toilet!".

A secondary character, who we never see, is introduced later on and she is one of the few faults I find with the film. She's an interesting character with some funny lines, but also feels a little distant and occasionally forced - which may be especially jarring as she's playing against Palmer, who is much more natural. That's not to say I didn't sympathize with her either; it's just she felt a little out of place.

It is very much a film that focuses on its characters and their situation, rather than being a slasher-zombie film. The zombies themselves look good and they, and the gory stuff, are used sparingly and to effect.

It is a near-perfect film with only a few weak spots; the 'Evie' character, a bit of the overly sentimental dialogue and a couple of too-silly jokes, but after having seen it three times, it's definitely solidified itself as an all-time favourite for me, and I'm sure it'll be held up as one of the best zombie films in recent years for others as well.

Dreadful

Author: film_fan1991 from United Kingdom
30 March 2014

This film is the biggest pile of crap. it makes no sense the lines of comedy (well i say comedy) aren't even funny and the one set they have used is stupid if i was you i would rather stick pins in my eyes than watch this film again!!

The film is basically a badly done rip off of Shaun of the dead it starts with a janitor who is fixing the hand dryer in the ladies toilet then two girls come in and start kissing the one of them bites the other then more zombies come in from a Christmas party no explanation of where it started or anything. in review i only gave it a three out of ten because they used a few good special fx during the film otherwise i would have given it a 1/10

Best Zombie Comedy for Quite Some Time

Author: abbydirects from London, England
8 November 2013

I saw Stalled at the Film Four Fright Fest in Leicester Square this past Summer and it was most deffo in my number two (haha) of the weekend, after Big Bad Wolves and before Curse of Chucky. Myself and the people I saw the film with went in thinking we had 'had it' with zombie films ..we were dead wrong.

This film is charming from beginning to end with a lovably unlovable lead in Dan Palmer who makes you root for him even though he does some pretty low things and often messes up. But I think what really made this film for me was the razor sharp dialogue and the very clever way they came up with ways to battle or defend themselves from the zombies (now and again it reminded me of MacGuyver ...or MacGroober!!).

Don't listen to the few nay-sayers on this board, everyone in that screening loved the film and if you look at most of the reviews from real critics it has got AMAZING reviews. WHich I agree with!

It has been compared to Sean of the Dead but it only has vague similarities, I think it is more comparable to Brain Dead or Jack Brooks with a bit of Evil Dead thrown in. The character of WC could be a new nerdy ASH - maybe he could fight werewolves next?! Cannot wait for the sequel!!

Zombie movie with heart

Author: jon_dolan2000 from United Kingdom
24 August 2013

Having been aware of Dan Palmer and Christian James, with their debut feature Freak Out, I was looking forward to seeing their new film STALLED. Described as Phone Booth meets Evil Dead, STALLED takes the concept of being stuck in a confined space with no visible escape and runs with it. What sets it apart from other zombie films is that is has a great deal of heart. You learn about the characters lives and they too learn about themselves. I found that, although the concept lends itself to all kinds of lowbrow gags and knowing winks, it avoids them and plays it pretty straight up. That's not to say it's a totally serious film, there are some real laugh out loud parts. The dialogue is incredibly funny and there's a healthy amount of red stuff splashed about the place.

I saw this at the 2013 Frightfest weekend in London. I enjoyed it a great deal and will definitely be going to see it again when it finally gets an official UK release. I believe it has a limited run in Cinemas and VOD in October. Since I'm visiting Orlando for a holiday then I will definitely be checking to see if this is playing whilst I'm over there.

There were certain parts which stayed with me, and made me laugh, long after I'd left the cinema. The only downside is that I really want to re watch it again. Unfortunately until an official release comes along I'll have to wait.

Highly recommended.

Oh my giddy Aunt !!

Author: Burn The Witch . from United Kingdom
7 April 2014

This is the best comical UK zombie movie in a long time! When reading the storyline, I wondered how a film could be shot entirely in the vicinity of the toilets? It was extremely well thought out, and I was pleasantly surprised how this was executed. All the cast and crew deserve a major big "thumbs up" with sprinkles on! I thoroughly enjoyed how the story started to unfold, dishing out dilemma's round every corner. There were intense moments which me jump through the roof and then nearly wet myself with laughter. I was transfixed with the superbly written script, visuals and SFX. There were belly laughs throughout every scene and many highlights! It promises to entertain from beginning to end - Definitely a must watch!!!

Interesting in itself, but didn't really stand out...

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
1 February 2014

I enjoy all things zombie, and check out just about everything I can come across. Now, the title of this movie, the concept of the story and the fact that it brandished "a worthy successor to Shaun of the Dead" on the front cover really had my interest peaked.

So, of course I had to give it a go. And the verdict is, well, the story has its moments, and it is one of those particular movies that is thick with British comedy. A worthy successor to "Shaun of the Dead", however, nah, I wouldn't go that far.

The story is in all its simplicity about W.C. (played by Dan Palmer), a janitor who gets trapped in a women's bathroom stall when a Christmas party takes a turn for the worse and people start turning into ravenous flesh-eating zombies.

I will say that director Christian James did have an interest approach to this movie, especially since about 95% of all the movie just takes place in a confined, cramped stall in a ladies restroom. That being said, then that limitation of location also set a heavy limitation on the movie, because it was starting to wear a bit thin towards the end.

The acting in the movie was alright, especially since the entire movie was just riding on the performance of Dan Palmer and the voice of Antonia Bernath - from two stalls over.

"Stalled" is in itself a good enough zombie movie, that should be watched at least once, if you enjoy zombie movies, as I do. However, it is not outstanding, nor is it as great as initially hyped up to be. The movie is fairly generic, and while it is not amongst the worst of zombies movies I have seen, nor can I claim that it is amongst the better of such movies.

Needs Something

Author: gavin6942 from United States
6 December 2013

A janitor (Dan Palmer) gets trapped in a women's restroom and encounters an all-out attack by a horde of zombies.

Clearly the people who made this have talent, had an idea, had a good cast and crew and had a sense of humor. But it just never really took off. There are some scenes that are pretty awesome, but the vast bulk of the time is drawn out (I could not care less about the relationship between WC and the girl in the other stall).

Unfortunately, another issue was the strong British accents. I cannot hold this against them -- or at least I should not -- but many of the talking parts were completely lost on me. These were some thick accents.

great premise....

Author: Sorpse from Canada
3 December 2013

This was a very competent film. The premise was incredible but it definitely worried me into wondering how they could pull it off. A guy surviving the zombie apocalypse from a bathroom stall. Funny, but could it fill a feature? In the end I would say that they pulled it off. The script went at a good pace, the zombies and gore looked good, and probably the best part was the lead actor who pulled off his role very well. The only problem that I would have with this movie though is that there wasn't anything that really put it over the top for me too make it overly memorable, besides the original premise of course. It satisfied but it didn't quite thrill me so for that it gets a 6.5. Its a movie that achieves what it set out to do and for that its a success in a genre (low budget independent zom-com) that can be very tricky to tackle.