IMDb > "Longmire" Pilot (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Longmire" Pilot (2012)

1 of 53 Episodes | Next »

Great start to what promises to be a great series

Author: Paularoc from United States
30 January 2013

As a fan of the Craig Johnson Sheriff Longmire books, I was expecting to be disappointed in this television series. But I wasn't - I much liked this episode. The character development, the beautiful setting, the lead actors and the occasional quirky characters all make this show a winner. The Vic character was not quite as edgy as in the books but still believable and nicely complements the Longmire character. The plot of this episode of a murdered man and missing Native American girl was sad but realistic.The show also well portrays the vast panorama, loneliness and ruggedness of the Great Plains. It also is a welcome relief from the seemingly endless number forensic, unrealistic action, or inane dramas that are currently in fashion on television.

Great start to a great show

Author: snowdogmom-710-805503 from United States
12 June 2013

One of my favorite episodes and immediately knew I would love this show. Such a breath of fresh air from all the other shows that are on today. Scenery is another character in the show. The casting for this show is spot on. Robert Taylor has found his signature role and is Walt Longmire. Well written, well acted, and has an actual plot. Does not rely on a lot of action for the sake of action. You have to pay attention or will miss a lot of the character back stories that are woven into each episode. This is from the same creative people that did The Closer. Worth a look and you will be hooked. Worth reading Craig Johnson's books that the series is based on but don't expect the series to be a repeat of the books.

Wallander In Wyoming - More Rifles, Less Brains

Author: kevinathome from Canada
27 March 2014

It is basically Wallander, re-localized in Wyoming, with more rifles. The badly damaged but highly intelligent sullen boss of the vividly characterized investigators doggedly pursues victimizers of the weak. He is even still messed up from his former marriage, and his daughter even comes over to scold him. It is all deliberately paced, in wide open gorgeous natural settings.

The pilot episode's conclusion made no sense, or if it did, I missed it. It turned out to be the gun seller, who owned the RV, where the teen runaway turned tricks, who shot the teen's father. No clues, no reason for the killing, he just inexplicably killed the operator while Longmire was interviewing the guy, then started sniping (badly) at Longmire. So Longmire calmly made a miraculous gut shot then calmly walked up to the armed man, who obligingly missed one last time, then confessed.

So, I guess it was stupid. But the Wallander formula works. It had the engaging characters and the entrancingly vivid sense of place, and a beautiful place at that. For enjoyment, it was a 7.

Nope

Author: Asher Refailov
22 June 2012

So I haven't read the books, but I went to the school where this was shot. The production consumed my entire campus, ruining many of my friends' shoots (because they reserved half the buildings on my campus indefinitely).

I assumed they would be working on something good, but low and behold, this was what they produced. There is nothing at all special about anything that is going on here. Nothing is done in any new way and for the amount of effort, energy and consumption they put into this, they should all be ashamed of what became of it.

They had hundreds of kino flows, junior and senior lights and a whole slew of more electricity swallowers (baby lights are 1k, and juniors are usually 2k, and seniors are 5 or 10k... all on all day for 9 months, and that is only what was visually apparent to me), hundreds of human laborers, a stupidly large set taking up two sound stages. It is just gross that so much effort can be put into something so horrid.

The pilot I was working on, produced for 600 dollars, is ten times better than this piece of crap.

Skip it, go watch anything else. Just hit up youtube, that has better content.