IMDb > Mockingbird Lane (2012) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Mockingbird Lane (TV) More at IMDbPro »

It's a Hit

Author: killbasa from United States
28 October 2012

As an old fan of the George Barris Munster cars, and being 7 years old when the original series came out, I ate the pilot of this new series up like nobody's business. No, it's not a direct copy, so grumpy old people need not apply if that's what they expected. Portia de Rossi steals the screen like few could, the perfect Lily. A remade Grandpa is much more evil and sinister, and the mischief he engages in is ruthlessly diabolical. Charity Wakefield is just the cutest Marilyn you could ask for. The stunningly beautiful home is fantastic, and updated special effects breath new life into a timeless classic TV series. I hope the best for this new series, and look forward to more of Grandpa's sinister antics and what becomes of Eddie's new pet dragon. And, of course, the stunning Lily Munster, who will steal your heart and, it appears, eat it also.

Munsteriffic. Am I the only one who thinks so?

Author: mattydee98 from United States
28 October 2012

Mockingbird Lane is truly a work of genius. I have never seen anything quite like it ever before. It brilliantly mixes comedic, dark, horrific, and family elements together to form the greatest TV show to ever air on NBC. I'm a huge fan of the original Munsters TV show, but I'm on-board for this reboot/remake/whatever the hell it is. NBC has given us a glimpse of an amazing TV show. I hope that they plan on continuing this idea as a TV show rather than making it a TV Movie. The cast has a great chemistry and their talents can be utilized to form more family and supernatural bonds, that viewers will just eat up. NBC would be completely and totally idiotic if they didn't continue this genius idea.

I'd definitely watch this if it were picked up

Author: backflipboy from Sydney, Australia
30 October 2012

I'm old enough to remember the original Munsters television series and all of its clichéd comedy set ups - Herman and Grandpa getting into situations and find a way out every week etc.

This "re-boot" fleshes out the characters and give them life. In todays TV world, the old "set up the gag, hit the punchline" style of comedy has lost its appeal and comedies now have to be clever enough for the audience to find the joke themselves - Malcolm In The Middle really started this trend.

While there were not a lot of laughs in this Pilot, there were enough to warrant giving this show at least one full series to find its feet. Sometimes ratings shouldn't be the driving force that makes studio execs make the right decisions.

One of the best things about this re-boot is the fact that none of the characters is instantly recognizable as a parody of the famous Hollywood movie monsters like the original Munsters series. Yes, we know that Herman is a Frankenstein type of Monster, but he can fit into the real world in this show - of course, turtleneck sweaters would need to be added. Lily, Eddie and Marylin could quite easily pass as "normal". In this version, Grandpa would just be seen as odd rather then looking like Dracula.

This has got to be made into a viable series - dark comedy is something that has been lacking in TV for a long time.

Munsters for the 21st Century!

Author: km2442
27 October 2012

I really Loved it! It was fantastic. There were nods to the original series that were great and it was funny! Jerry O'Connell was a fantastic Herman, being a big softie monster. The actors had awesome family chemistry together and the special effects were stunning. I really loved the 'charming monsters' and All the actors did a great job of embodying their characters. To me the special just played pitch perfect, hitting all the right notes to capture the spirit of the original while still standing well on it's own as a new and unique show. Strong plot, humorous quips and beautiful special effects! Please pick this up NBC!!

1313: a modernization of a classic

Author: penni333 from United States
27 October 2012

1313 Mockingbird Lane was a blast from the past with a modern twist. I loved it... They did an amazing job of modernizing a classic show with an updated story. The four main characters are cast brilliantly and is perfect. The set and costuming is enchanting and wonderful, and the storyline was truly entertaining and well paced. It left me wanting more.

Although, the cost of the production was said to be quite high, in my opinion, it was worth every penny of the investment and I hope they plan to produce many more episodes, as I can't wait to see full seasons.

Excellent Reincarnation

Author: draegan613 from United States
11 November 2012

I'm not sure why NBC decided against moving forward with this series as it was a successful pilot as far as I can tell. Many people across the nation enjoyed seeing one of their favorite older shows being brought back to life. It was imaginative and witty, and it kept me wanting more. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell there will be no more which really irritates me. If they had no intention of continuing the show past the first episode they should not have even aired it. But, as I have said before it was a successful release. The actors played their parts quite well. I was surprised by the Herman aspect but then I took into account that they are hitting refresh on the series and that nowadays in media anything created doe NOT look like the older Frankenstein monsters that they had back in cinema history. It was a bit nice to see a little bit of realism in the reincarnation and I think that is what appealed to me the most. I honestly think another network should pick this show up and continue to run it. That or the original network should realize its true potential and continue it.

Adorable homage for a mature Munster fan.

Author: Martine Picard from Philadelphia
4 November 2012

I come to re-makes with an open mind. If you are -expecting- a regurgitation of Munsters of olde, you are barking up the wrong Woff Woff. They've tried that, and its failed miserably. Why bother re-making a classic? PLAY WITH IT. Allow it to mautre with the audience.

Just as Battlestar re-approached it's story line, so does 1313 Mockingbord Lane. With clever retro writing and playfully nostalgic nods to the Munster's monster clichés, the humor tip-toes across Mockingbird Lane to the dark side. The romantically creepy visuals created are a unique departure from anything I've seen on network TV.

Due to its approach, this one is not for those who choose to protect their wee ones from the spookie-ookie.

My only 'complaint', such that it is, is that so much content was introduced in the episode that it became a wee bit disjointed. Could'nt they have fleshed it out to be a two hour movie?

I want to know more about Marylin's mom? Will Herman's heart break? How will Eddie cope with his growing pains? Will we see Spot run? The questions created leave me craving...

I hope 1313 triumphs and goes on. It would be a shame to dumb down this deliciously deviant diversion from the hum-drum. We giggled and guffawed from beguiling beginning to elucidating end. I am BLOOD THIRSTY to return!

Certainly not what it could have been.

Author: Tresix from Chicago, Illinois
10 November 2012

Brian Fuller, the man behind the dark fantasy TV series "Pushing Daisies", decided to do an equally dark update of "The Munsters". For those not familiar with "The Munsters", it was a sitcom from Universal Pictures that parodied their classic movie monsters like Count Dracula and the Frankenstein Monster by taking these terrifying creatures and placing them in suburban America as the typical family. Fuller attempts to present the Munsters as their dark original counterparts with "Mockingbird Lane".

However, that negates the point of the original series: It was how these ghastly individuals got along with the average American in a very humorous vein. Instead, "Mockingbird Lane" seems to be trying to be a straight horror show with little glimpses of comedy. The problem with this is the horror overshadows the humor. For starters, the original Munsters all looked like monsters except for "poor" Marilyn. In this version, everyone looks close to normal, yet they still pick on Marilyn because of her "looks". Marilyn here (played by Charity Wakefield) is still a beautiful girl who is thought of as unattractive by the rest of the family. The thing about this is that Herman in this version (Jerry O'Connell) is rather handsome even though he does have spare body parts (he's having trouble with his replacement heart). Also, Grandpa (Eddie Izzard) and Lily (Portia de Rossi), though they are vampires, don't have the pallor that they had in the original series. Even young Eddie (Mason Cook) looks like a normal little boy until he transforms into a werewolf under the full moon. Every one plays their role too seriously except Izzard. He has great lines and is the only one who seems to be having any fun at all.

On the plus side, the special effects are great. Especially in the introduction of Grandpa and Lily. However, if the series is picked up, things need to lighten up greatly. Make the show fun to watch and it might pick up where the original series left off.

surprisingly pleased

Author: adorkable-boo
29 October 2012

I never really watched the original show, it just wasn't my type of humor. I liked this reboot though. No, it's not like the original and it's not trying to be, which I think is a good thing. Seeing Jerry O'Connell as Herman has me feeling a little iffy though. He's not my favorite actor, but I think his kinda dopey-happy vibe is fitting for Herman and serves as a good balance with the devious Grandpa. Speaking of which...Eddie Izzard is marvelous, and the main reason why I'm loving the show so much. Without him, I don't think I would have enjoyed it, and probably wouldn't watch it. He's simply divine! Err....I suppose diabolical would be a better word, wouldn't it?

Loved it!

Author: pateras from United States
30 October 2012

This was awesome! Marilyn and Grandpa were both very captivating. I like the re-imagined Herman a lot, and Lily was a great character, too. She's simultaneously vulnerable and powerful, and as soon as I saw that truck pull up I knew exactly what was in those crates. Just about every entrance of hers gave me chills. The kid that played Eddie was also very impressive.

For the record, I've only seen a couple of episodes of the original (it was way before my time), but I'm definitely a fan of this new version! It's as clever as it is dark, and I can't wait for more!

I really hope this gets picked up. I'm planning on getting a bunch of my friends as hooked on it as I am.