"Arrested Development" Colony Collapse (2013)

« Prev | 60 of 68 Episodes | Next »

Hello AD my old friend, I've come to talk with you again

Author: gizmomogwai from Canada
30 May 2013

Here goes my first review for a season 4 episode. The show has been resurrected much more successfully than Jesus in GOB's magic act- Colony Collapse is GOB's first episode in the new one character-centric format (and thank god they actually came up with colourful titles for the episodes rather than naming them after the characters like they were going to).

Colony Collapse skyrockets just as surely as GOB's life collapses- Arrested Development has always been a show about losers, and season 4, if anything, heightens those themes. It is probably the darkest season of Arrested Development yet conceived. GOB, in particular, loses everything- his family (including his son), his girlfriend, his bee business, his magic career, his friends he never really had.

GOB's not the only standout character of the episode. There are plenty of great Ann jokes, including the classics like being a wall and a plant, and never being recognized, but also a "Mouth." GOB and Ann interact surprisingly well, with the mouse jokes in particular being hilarious. GOB also unwittingly makes a mockery of Jesus as not a real guy and an illusion. And when Ann unzips her PJs and has sex with GOB, I was shocked- the kids of AD are all grown up, and the AD writers aren't avoiding it (Later, Maeby takes off her shirt in bed with a boy and George Michael is OS).

Ever since seeing The Graduate (1967), I've become a huge fan of the song The Sound of Silence. Seeing that's now the song that goes with "I've made a huge mistake" is thrilling.

There are other great moments, from bees dropping like flies and flying like bees, to a completely unrecognizable Steve Holt. GOB's entourage wasn't entirely funny, and the 911 call was just disturbing, but that's a small part of the episode. In general, Colony Collapse is a hit. And hear that laughter? That's the sound of AD.

The Best Episode

Author: Alex Giles from Oxford, England
16 April 2014

This is literally the funniest episode of any television series that I have ever seen. I put off watching the fourth season after episode one. But I continued and all the season is great. This episode in particular just makes me hysterical. Will Arnett is indescribable. Also, the bits with Michael and George Michael are painful to watch, but in a good way. The way all the episode entwines is incredible. Although this is Gob's episode, each character is given a significant part. How a lot of it relates to Lucille's trial is brilliant. The George/Oscar and the Mexican wall thing is just as good as Gob's magic show. Even Buster's appearance is ridiculously funny. As well as a flashback to Maeyb's 'MARRY ME' makes the show. Literally the best episode ever. Please go and watch it. Hello darkness my old friend. 10/10.

Ohhh soooo disappointed...

Author: jonostler33 from United States
16 October 2013

Just to give you a little background, I am literally the biggest Arrested Development fan in the world! I LOVE every single episode of arrested and give them all 10 stars! This episode though was a big disappointment, and I'll tell you why. Gob is such an amazing character, he makes the show for the part he has. But the performance and the depiction they put him in for this episode is not funny and confusing. The magic show he performs tries to and hard to be funny. To end this, I don't know if it's this episode or the other Gob episode for season four but *here is a spoiler* Gob is depicted as being Gay!! Wow way to ruin the best character on the show!! What the crap this isn't Will and Grace ha, Gob was such an amazing character and they ruined him from this new episode. Any ways to end this rant ha, I feel strongly if you love this show and love Gob as a character, skip this episode, you will be thankful you did!