IMDb > Collide (2016/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Collide

Collide More at IMDbPro »

I enjoyed this movie

Author: headink from christchurch new zealand
25 December 2016

I am no real movie reviewer, just a guy who loves watching good movies!

My first ever review for any IMDb movie. But I have been here looking up movies for years.

I seen some reviewers underrate this. Which is why I decided to let people know what an average everyday person thinks of this movie It deserves more credit than what it has been given.

I myself thoroughly enjoyed it! The time went by too fast. I could not keep my eyes off the screen lots of action, fantastic car chases. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time.

I love Ben Kingsley and Anthony Hopkins and to see both in one movie at the same time was very exciting and For Myself personally thought they did very well. Nicholas Hoult did a great job too.

I know this is no major movie like silence of the lambs. But it was still a fantastic action movie. If you like action movies don't let this one pass you by! It's very entertaining. I look forward to watching this again one day. 7.5/10

Better than I had hoped

Author: Chris King from The Great Shire Of York
31 December 2016

I went into this film with an open mind. I wasn't expecting much in the way of OTT action sequences or sex and violence that is the staple for most blockbuster-esque action films with it being a PG-13. That said it did deliver on the action sequences. Some well shot and exciting car chases and gun battles which kept you watching even if the plot (which has some twists) was rather predictable at times. Essentially though it is a love story although that is glossed over a bit too much for me. Would have preferred a 15 rating and a bit more from the two leads. I disagree with the other reviewer who thought Anthony Hopkins didn't play the villain believably enough. I thought he nailed it. What was a bit unbelievable was the lack of police support during most of the gun battles. Are the German police really so useless? I had an overall sense that a bit of comedy was trying to be injected into the dialogue (especially the scenes with Hopkins and Kingsley)it did make me smile but I fear that may not have been the intention after all. Overall an enjoyable film that I am glad I saw. Could have been made better - yes, could have had more depth - yes. Recommended - yes.

Some fluid action sequences don't just COLLIDE with fluent storytelling.

Author: witra asliga from Indonesia
2 September 2016

Collide is very much alike Creevy's previous work, Welcome To The Punch (2013) with additional love story between Nicholas Hoult and Felicity Jones as plot driven.

Casey needs money to cure his sick girlfriend, Juliette. A slick drug dealer, Geran send him on a mission, hijack a truck that belongs to notorious criminal, Hagen Kahl who can do anything to get rid of anyone in his way.

Here we have two antagonists as the opposites, perfectly crafted by Anthony Hopkins and Ben Kingsley, who are responsible to put Hoult into a series of captivating cat and mouse action caper. At some points, i personally start to think that Hoult is the 'real cat' here who got 9 lives to live.

Relationships between these one dimensional characters felt under developed. Still cast members had shown what they've got to keep our interest going.

The stages are set extremely well to pull us straight away from start with only little time to think but somehow we already have sights on the finish line. A twist might be explained through exposition about 10 minutes before end credits.

Well, some fluid action sequences don't just COLLIDE with fluent storytelling. And it takes 99 minutes of running time to find out why.

Great film for cinema junkies!

Author: Yordan from Bulgaria
2 September 2016

I decided to watch this movie at the last minute while in Bulgaria. I looked at the trailer for the movie when I got back and could not understand why there where so many negative remarks towards it. This movie has great actors (Ben Kingsley, Nicholas Hoult & Anthony Hopkins sure played the heck out of their role), plenty of action (Car chase scenes where outstanding), pure comedy gold (Ben Kingsley, enough said) and a very interesting if not engaging story. Even though at parts I would consider that the film isn't very realistic, but like all movies, there are always plot holes which is why I'm not giving it a low rating.

Overall I enjoyed the movie and would definitely watch again. Just a shame it's not yet released for the public in the United Kingdom.

One of the best indie films

Author: Paul Wycherley from paisley
4 January 2017

Decent story great action scenes what else do you want from a indie movie? Well it turns out that collide is miles better than you think.

The story of a skint backpacker (Nicholas Hoult) who falls in love with a girl who turns out to be sick, so he needs money to pay for surgery. In steps Geran (Ben Kingsley) a drug seller to offer him a job with big pay......To steal from his drug associate and kingpin boss Hagen Kahl (Anthony Hopkins)

Of course it goes wrong but the way it plays out is brilliant with epic performances from both Ben Kingsley and Anthony Hopkins and a stellar performance from Nicholas Hoult collide is one of the best indie films to be released. From great car chase scenes on the famous Autobahn to the reveal of the crime, this is 90minutes of cinema master class

It wasn't groundbreaking, but damn I enjoyed watching this action flick.

Author: Peter Pluymers (peterp@cyberdude.com) from Kortessem, Belgium
13 January 2017

What I do know about you is that you're American, because my friends here tell me you were talking while you were unconscious which or course is typically American isn't it? And judging by your stubborn refusal to talk right now while you are fully conscious, I guess that must make you an extremely, brave American or excessively stupid American. I don't know, you tell me! Yeh. But you and I can surely cut through all that boring back and fourth Sylvester Stallone nonsense … "Eh ah Adreine".

I was ready for a typical action B-movie with a lot of ill-timed fighting scenes, corny dialogues, outworn one-liners used by muscled men and over the top firefights using tons of ammunition. And all this to fill up a thin, highly unoriginal story. Actually, I thought this would be just a simple movie to spend my evening. And I figured it wouldn't matter if I'd doze off or not. Well, sometimes I can be wrong about something. "Collide" is an example of that. And when well-known film stars appear on the screen one after the other, the surprise effect is even bigger.

Granted, the reason why Casey (Nicholas "Equals" Hoult) finally decided to steal a truck, owned by the dangerous and ruthless drug smuggler Hagen Kahl (Anthony Hopkins), commissioned by a nut called Geran (Ben Kingsley), is rather trite. You can't say it isn't used already in another film. The subsequent action-packed portion, with Casey continuously trying to stay out of the hands of Kahl's guard who eagerly want to get back the stolen truck, is of such caliber that you put yourself upright so you won't miss a second. What you're going to see is a series of tough fights, enormous gunfights, dazzling chases in the streets of a picturesque German town and some high-speed car chases on the "German Autobahn" around Cologne. Casey drives with (in my eyes) some expensive sports cars. Fans of "The Fast and the Furious" will be excited about that, I think. I myself am not an expert in that field. I'm already feeling ecstatic the moment I see the speedometer reaching 260 kph.

I was quite impressed by Nicholas Hoult. A cool-headed person with bright blue eyes (undoubtedly successful among females). He looks like Ed "The Transporter" Skrein (as if they are twin brothers) and he shows similarities with the young Bruce Willis in his heyday (not the last 10 years). He's also so impassive and cold-blooded. And he's also suffering from physically damages as the film progresses. Although Juliette (Felicity "The Theory of Everything" Jones) is the one who caused all the misery, you can call her part actually quite limited. And maybe people wonder what star actors like Anthony Hopkins and Ben Kingsley are doing in such a simplistic movie. I suggest you watch the movie "Blackway" with Hopkins in a leading role. And also "Robot Overlords" with Kingsley participating in it. These aren't exactly high quality films or masterpieces either. Both are typical stories with no memorable footage (in other words, they suck). At least "Collide" is peppered with unparalleled action and sometimes masterful monologues. The discussions between the two men are a feast for the eyes and ears.

I haven't enjoyed myself with such a nonsensical action movie for a long time. Ultimately it's all about how love can encourage someone to make inconsiderate decisions and carry out dangerous acts like Casey did. "If the reason is love, then maybe it's not so crazy, and it's the only thing keeping me alive" said Casey at the beginning of the movie. Oh well, maybe it all looks senseless and feels like nonsense. Maybe some characters lack depth and some German supporting roles are pitifully poor. And yes, the German police acted rather stupid and exaggerated during their final intervention. That was indeed rather ridiculous. It was as if Osama bin Laden himself was sitting in that dingy pub. Yet it was entertaining and interesting enough. It's not groundbreaking cinema, but good enough to watch when you have nothing else to do.

More reviews here : http://bit.ly/1KIdQMT

Great Action Movie

Author: Martin Uhr from Switzerland
8 January 2017

If your primary expectation in an action movie is to get entertained then this one is highly recommended. Collide is an enjoyable action flick with solid performances by all main actors, including Anthony Hopkins and Ben Kingsley. The film was shot in nice locations in Germany, features great cars and suspenseful car chases. For the plot, yes there were some mistakes, but not at a disturbing level. I also liked the twist in the end.

Considering the movie's low ratings and some of the crushing reviews the overall quality delivered was a real surprise to me. I considered it much more entertaining then all of the recent mutant/superhero crap made in Hollywood.

Surprisingly enjoyable

Author: Ari V from Thailand
8 January 2017

This is not a movie with deep meaning, a complex plot or redeeming value but was surprisingly enjoyable. The primary characters were not glamorous but rather down to earth which lent a certain innocence and believability. I thought their acting was excellent and sustained the movie through to the end. The bad guys deserve kudos. Ben Kingsley and Anthony Hopkins played quirky drug lords which they pulled off really well in a low key manner. These are often the most difficult characters to pull off in a movie, often being overly done but not here. The secondary bad guys were superbly cast and relentless in the chase which kept the tension level high through the entire movie. Plot wise this was a basic caper gone wrong and chase movie with a surprising twist at the end. Wreakage and carnage on the Autobahn while extensive, was not overdone. In fact, the chase scenes and crash scenes were really well choreographed and not over the top or gratuitous. The only weakness was the ending which was predictable and didn't follow through which left a feeling of abruptness, probably forced through mandatory time constraints. As a result, Anthony Hopkin's character and story did not feel complete. Collide was great entertainment that didn't require deep thought to enjoy....

Comment: the main characters were not "backpackers" but rather ex- pats living and working in Germany. Seems to be growing tendency to refer to anyone between 20-30 as backpackers...

A product placement for various car companies

Author: arriva from -
20 January 2017

Two dimensional characters, hackneyed plot and plot devices, very unrealistic pretty much everything including the behaviour of the main villain - Anthony Hopkins must be ashamed for having a central role in this movie.

I can hardly find anyone who could enjoy this movie. It's not for adults, that's for sure, because its love story is just too simple and repulsing, however the young might enjoy it for its reckless car chases and kisses, fist fights and chivalry.

I pity everyone who starred in this movie. It could have been a very average straight to DVD B-movie but given the range of actors it's simply unwatchable.

This could be a perfect product placement movie on a par with the Fast and Furious franchise. This movie and this franchise share a lot of common. Missing realism is their common staple.

The final twist couldn't save this movie. It just made it even more sickly-sweet.

one of the best action movies of 2016

Author: bcheng93 from ny ny
18 January 2017

nick hoult and felicity jones...2 young stars with solid movies under their belt already...hoult has much better acting chops. anthony hopkins and ben kingsley, 2 of the best thespians of our times. who knew you could cast them in an all out action movie and it would work? not an Oscar winner but it works very well as an action movie. top flight action choreography with an intense focus on high end sports cars chasing and being chased. the gunfights and car stunts are as good as any you will find in the year 2016. predictable story but very well done...kingsley and hopkins could sleepwalk thru their scenes and they would still do well. hoult hasn't made a bad movie yet...all his movies have been entertaining and hes' actually been in a lot of movies as hes started quite young in movies. all in all...OK acting and great action sequences...the time just flew buy...add an extra star for fans of good action movies.