IMDb > 28 Hotel Rooms (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
28 Hotel Rooms

28 Hotel Rooms More at IMDbPro »

eye candy and emotional insight

Author: jpw23 from United States
16 June 2012

A memorable film, a visual treat, so skillfully shot, and emotionally real with outstanding performances by two people caught up in doing the wrong thing when unable to resist the pull of forces many of us might succumb to or at least feel.

Matt Ross has built this work around two characters that are flawed and perhaps not adequate in substance for his prodigious talent but what he has created flashes with real insight into what happens when passion and love arise and grow within the confined space outside marital vows. We know from the start that we are on a journey where anything might happen and Ross's management of that wild ride is handled with an impressive intelligence while avoiding the predictable outcomes.

Viewer response could understandably be driven by whether he/she can empathize with the wrong doers or the off screen victims.

I can't wait to see what is next from Mr. Ross.

Not Perfect But A Lot Better Than The IMDb Rating

Author: 086 jpm from Dublin
1 April 2013

A simple story about a casual but loving relationship across time and 28 hotels rooms. It somehow projects 2 peoples souls in the universe of relationships. There is a beauty to it and the story lingers. It is not an action flick, but it is compelling and definitely more interesting then 5.3.

Its one of those stories that would be happy in a theatre and the performances from the the cast which consists of just 2 actors are wonderful and totally convincing.

It holds you and you are not sure how you would like the situation to end, without ruining the end I will just say it left me satisfied.

I recommend it was worth the rent.

Underrated emotional depth

Author: PeterMedina from San Diego/Goteborg
30 July 2013

After reading the reviews, I had to watch it again to understand what someone said happened in the movie that I didn't see, but found myself continuing to watch past that point. The first time I watched this movie, I thought it to be a modern tragedy, almost Shakespearean by bringing together bad timing, circumstance and what could've been. As I watched it again I drew more to the emotion that the characters and storyline is trying to draw out of the audience.

If you lack emotional depth, experience, or having ever truly fallen in love, I think you watch this movie and brand it as a cheater movie justified. I think it goes beyond that.

The woman having bloomed much later in life was, for all intensive purposes, lacking in self-esteem and unsure of herself. Which was brilliantly communicated by the director and screen writer. She never knew what she wanted, or what she deserved. She only knew to fit into her roles outside of her hotel room encounters. She couldn't bring to bear the question of what was OK for her to have in her life until it was tragically too late.

The man was vulnerable, to a point. And like all men, didn't know whether to admit frailty in the obvious presence of a blossoming love with the massive risk of being unrequited and therefore exposing himself to the dangers of not having that thick male skin.

Director - I think that the tempo was good, even watching it the second time, it wasn't predictable and didn't force me to want to fast forward. It captured the awkwardness of getting acquainted, brought us to a place where they dropped their guard and even a period of adolescent energy where the characters connected.

Chris and Marin connected in this movie in a way that really made the movie. Periods of just conversation communicated something genuine while keeping true to character. It was almost akin to watching someone's reality.

There were so many times in this movie that you just wanted to tell them what to do, and as each tragic bit of circumstance came to fruition you were emotionally disappointed. That's the point of any movie, to get the audience to relate some how and ask questions and get emotional. And this movie accomplished that for me.

Underrated Movie

Author: Angie Thomas from United States
2 March 2013

I thought that this was an excellent movie. I am surprised to see that this movie didn't get much advertisement and didn't gross much in the movies. This movie showed the story of two people who were having an affair side of the story. You could tell that these people truly loved each other but struggled with taking a leap of faith and following their hearts. I am sure a lot of people can relate to that. The only thing I didn't like was the ending because I don't like to fell like I am left hanging and wondering whats going to happen next. I also thought that the acting was pretty good too. I never heard of the actors, but would love to see them both in other movies. Bottom line, if you are into love stories and believe in soul mates then you would love this movie.

Fantastic and memorable film

Author: acel-tolentino
3 June 2013

Out of 10, I give this movie an 8 rating, 8.5 to be exact, for the intriguing plot and transparent acting.

I have watched most films where Chris Messina starred in but could not remember his presence in them. In this one, he shines and shows that he has more to offer. He deserves any accolades thrown at him if any fr this wonderful performance.

I could have honestly given this a 10 but because of all the nudity that aren't really that necessary, I take the 1.5 worth of fail for trying to mimic erotica. It is true though that the idea helps up the caliber and I honestly would not have watched it for the title alone and actors alone.

I also think that the movie was able to capture the vividness of infidelity that is almost not a sin. Here we see two people being drifted once in a while away from marital vows because of love. At some point, I feel that the "Venus and Mars" issues is addressed.

Why it is full of intrigues is because of my failure to understand why these two people did not just stay together. Oh, then there will be no movie! :D For all the wrong and right reasons, it's become one of my favorites.

Rare Intelligence

Author: Bill Yaner from United States
11 July 2013

I would not have chosen this movie but woke up to it in the middle of the night - and was quickly hooked. The characters are wonderful to get to know as they increasingly get to know each other, and delightfully free of self-pity or narcissism. The device they use to go from scene to scene is a black out followed by a new room number which is the scene of their next tryst. That device cleverly moves the action along a continuum of character development and maturing of their relationship without ever bogging down in an overly heavy dialog. Both actors have that kind of cinematic face which is fun to watch and never boring. Best thing I can say about this movie, though, is that it was written, produced, directed, and acted with an intelligence all too rarely found in today's American movies. And not a single car chase, explosion, or blood spattered body! No wonder it wasn't advertised by the studio!

A look into human nature

Author: zif ofoz from United States
22 December 2013

There is no story or plot to this movie! It's a look into human nature in marriage - but here we see the entire spectrum of the husband and wife in two individuals who meet for sexual pleasure - at first!

The beginning - hot heavy thrill of first nighting! But this can last only so long. Then starts the comfortable time just being together - sex is an aside thing - nice but not necessary.

As the relationship continues it's not long until more is wanted from each partner. What that 'more is' one partner is usually unwilling to give into - compromising begins. At some point resentment steps in and things begin to fall apart in the relationship.

Beautifully told by Matt Ross this movie has something in it for anyone that has loved or tried to love. It's all the same, humans go through stages in friendships, brief romances, marriage! And this movie is a grand look into it.

The ending may seem odd - but I interpret it as nothing will actually change and their 'romance/sex thing' will slip away and they will get on with their lives.

We are just given a peek at it .................

Good story, low budget, strange approach.

Author: antonio266
14 December 2014

The story is fine. There are only two characters in the entire movie, don't expect a big production. Filmed out of a holiday inn in Canada. The story is fine. There are only two characters in the entire movie, don't expect a big production. Filmed out of a holiday inn in Canada. The story is fine. There are only two characters in the entire movie, don't expect a big production. Filmed out of a holiday inn in Canada. The story is fine. There are only two characters in the entire movie, don't expect a big production. Filmed out of a holiday inn in Canada. The story is fine. There are only two characters in the entire movie, don't expect a big production. Filmed out of a holiday inn in Canada.

Enduring relationship between two people not married to each other.

Author: suite92 from SoCal, USA
16 December 2013

She is from Seattle; he is based in New York. He is a novelist; she is a data miner. They travel in their work and meet now and then. They are rather guarded about their personal information, but are obviously attracted to one another. They get to know each other over time. She reads his book and likes it.

Eventually they talk about anything and everything. Their careers change over time. They discuss the meaning of what they do. They deal with life events.

When he is about to get married (she has been for some time), they talk about dropping their mates and marrying each other. But somehow it does not happen.

They have some tough times as well, such as when they talk about why they have not married each other. The ambivalence shines through again.

Some of their pretend conversations about possible lives together are fantasy, but still priceless. The acting by Chris Messina and Marin Ireland was very nuanced.

She gets pregnant, and decides to rear the child with her husband of record. Both of them have trouble dealing with it, but it's the decision that involves the least damage. Other changes come along, like his inability to drink coffee, due to a stomach condition.

Will they keep meeting, or will their married lives force that tradition to break?

-------Scores-------

Cinematography: 9/10 Fine, except for the occasional camera shake.

Sound: 9/10 No problems.

Acting: 10/10 The two principals are quite good.

Screenplay: 9/10 Well told evolution of a long-lasting affair between two people who are more than friends.

Strong resemblance to 'Same Time, Next Year' with Alan Alda and Ellen Burstyn, 1978.

A new perspective to Same Time Next Year

Author: timverba-848-888021 from United States
18 November 2013

I was a little disappointed in this movie. The concept reminded me of the Alan Alda and Ellen Burstyn movie - Same Time Next Year (1978). The actors Chris Messina and Marin Ireland are attractive enough to care about them, separately and together, but through the entire movie I wanted their characters to move beyond individual selfishness. The 1978 movie was much more tidy and genteel, but also covered specific milestones of an affair lasting over 25 years. In this 2012 production, you have to guess if their meeting intervals are weeks, months or years apart. Perhaps 28 Hotel Rooms gives us the filler years of the untidy and crass aspects of a long lasting love affair. I am not sure if I would have stayed with the movie if it had gone beyond 90 minutes.