IMDb > "House M.D." We Need the Eggs (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"House M.D.: We Need the Eggs (#8.17)"

"House M.D." We Need the Eggs (2012)

« Prev | 171 of 176 Episodes | Next »

We Need The Eggs

Author: FanScribbles from United States
9 May 2014

From the beginning of this series, I have cringed at the blatant errors made regarding pretty much every medical procedure, large and small. Doctors do not do 98% of the things these doctors do themselves. Granted, it makes much better TV for the doctors to do everything themselves, because admittedly it would be far less entertaining to watch them write orders in the chart then sit around drinking coffee or whatever doctors do until the results of the procedures come in. But for the record, doctors do not transport patients anywhere, ever; they do not run the MRI or CT machines, ever; they do not hang drugs, draw blood, or give medication, ever. Specific to this episode, anyone paying the least bit of attention would have seen the Chase and Adam thing coming. The writers seemed to flirt with the idea near the beginning of the season, but mercifully, they seemed to let the issue drop. Unfortunately, they're at it again. Chase has become something of a horndog, and Adams is attractive. Makes since the writers would take us in this direction. But it will take the show down several notches. House's feelings for his fake wife Dominika change from episode to episode. He seems disinterested, then interested, then not. There isn't any real reason for him to have agreed to fake marry her in the first place, and certainly none for him to continue upholding the farce in order to get her a green card. The only one who stands to gain anything is her, and as has been made perfectly clear in this season, House has reverted to his old self-serving self; it is extremely unlikely he would do anything for this near stranger unless he stood to gain something in return. When we learned of the marriage, he said she agreed to be something like a maid/cook/prostitute to him four days a week in exchange for the marriage and subsequent green card. But shortly after that, we learn she's gone away with her boyfriend, reneging on her end of the deal. When she does return, what possible motive would House have to help her in any way? Yes, he would like to avoid going back to prison. Yes, she's offered to pay him thirty grand. But it just seems like there is something lacking with this storyline, and I can't figure out where the writers might be taking us with it. I will say that in a lot of ways, Dominika is well suited to House. She's not above subterfuge, games, and manipulation—all House's specialties, and qualities he holds in high regard. But are they so well suited they stand a chance at any longevity? I don't see a lot of ways in which the writers can end this show, and I seriously suspect Dominika will be part of it. However, after Cuddy, it's hard to see any other woman, particularly Dominika, as the woman in House's life and heart. On a related note, the hooker thing has been played to death in this show. House parading a string of hookers through his office as he interviews them for a replacement for his favorite about-to-retire hooker is outlandish, even for House. Granted, House does have a history of inability to accept change. It does make sense that he would cling to his favorite hooker. But this whole hooker storyline is really ridiculous, pointless, and very, very uninteresting. A patient with a doll for a girlfriend? Naturally, House will eat that up. This is one thing the show has never done before, and shouldn't be surprising for any long-time House fan. This medical mystery is boring, and takes a backseat to the non-medical story lines in this episode. This has become the norm with this show, particularly in season eight. It seems the writers' bag of tricks has been picked clean. Too bad. Early in the show, they were often able to take a fairly run-of-the-mill disease and present it in a unique way, unique and exciting enough that it was interesting to House and the audience. They've lost that edge. Indeed, even Hugh Laurie seems bored with his character these days. He has no call for any real range or depth; it's the same old grumpy immaturity every single episode. We never see him play the piano anymore, never see him struggle to connect with a patient, never see him try to connect with a coworker. Hugh Laurie is an amazingly talented actor. It has been a delight to watch him dazzle us with the magnificent range House has required of him over the lifetime of this show. Unfortunately, so very little of that has happened in season eight, whatever audience has stuck it out this far is quickly losing interest. Bonus highlight of the episode: Park's jam session with the band guy. The song was great, the band guy (Patrick Stump) can really sing, and it brought some much-needed depth to Park. It was a throwback to the many episodes in which the other characters, namely House, played music. It was nice, and well done.