IMDb > "House M.D." Gut Check (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"House M.D." Gut Check (2012)

« Prev | 170 of 176 Episodes | Next »

Gut Check

Author: FanScribbles from United States
9 May 2014

Paternal clocks become an issue in this episode, reinforcing for all of us die-hard fans just how much House has lost. Despite everything he said, he really enjoyed Cuddy's daughter Rachel. And the audience was primed to watch House adjust to and ultimately embrace fatherhood. So we learn Wilson is a father, a secret House has held for the last eleven years. And Wilson is not even remotely angry that House never said anything? We all know Wilson, and we know he would eventually forgive House, but his initial reaction would more likely have been outrage—or some kind of emotion. Because we know Wilson, we know he is as outwardly emotional as House is not. Also, House delivered the information without any fanfare at all. No game, no manipulation, no . . . nothing. He just offers it up. In the most un-House-like way. So what's his hidden agenda? Does he have one? Or was this the best answer the writers could come up with to introduce Wilson's son? Given the quality of the show lately, I was unfortunately leaning toward the latter. By the end of the episode, we learn there was an ulterior motive and a hidden agenda after all. And it was a very sorry storyline for the episode. And Park has moved in with Chase? House and Wilson made fantastic roommates. House and Wilson rooming together was one of the better parts of this series. Foreman and Taub as roommates was also a great component of the show. The dynamic between Chase and both Park and Adams has been strange and awkward since the women joined the show. So where the hell is this going? All I see down this path is disaster. And this seems like a ridiculous source of new drama to fuel the show. I have to say, Chase has always seemed more big brother to Park than source of sexual interest. At the end of the episode, we sort of see some of that come to fruition. Chase is lonely, has no family. Park is a very integral part of her family. By inviting her to crash with him, he's formed a connection to her family, particularly her grandmother. It's nice to see Chase connecting with someone other than a big-busted twenty-something ready to take her clothes off for him. Adams is a useless part of the show. Her character is unremarkable, utterly forgettable. Those of us that know House are all, at this point, wondering why House keeps her around. She's . . . boring, uninteresting, and she doesn't contribute anything the others couldn't do in her place. Park is marginally more interesting. She's weird, and she's obviously got some spunk because she punched her attending after he grabbed her ass. Also, she still lives with her parents, and she has no money. But she's got a generally flat affect, an almost monotone voice, and little range. This is the only thing I've ever seen actress Charlyne Yi in, so I don't know how much of that is the fault of the writers and the directors and how much is Yi's. I questioned the addition of Taub from first episode, but as time has gone on, I've come to see Taub as a real contribution to the show. He and House play well together. His personal life is a good source of dramatic fuel for the show without being too obnoxious or boring. All of this is made that much clearer seeing him beside both Park and Adams.