IMDb > Pixels (2015) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 36:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Great Movie ! Can't Believe all the Abysmal Reviews

Author: Christopher Carr from Las Vegas, NV
13 August 2015

I think some people are expecting WAY too much out of this movie. It's a kids movie which has a lot of appeal for adults. It's one of the more appealing kids movies I've seen in years. It's definitely geared more towards the 8-12 crowd, rather than younger kids' movies (like Despicable Me, which is also great). The language is a bit course at points, but nothing too bad.

I read all these horrible reviews and was not looking forward to it, but it was SO entertaining! I was worried that it would be another crappy Adam Sandler movie (I like him, but he has definitely had some real bombs). But he did NOT try to hijack the entire movie like some people suggest. He shared the screen well with the other actors.

Sure, Kevin James was a strange choice as president but, again, IT'S A KIDS MOVIE! While some adults can't handle the package delivery guy from King of Queens being president, most of the target audience probably doesn't even know who he is. And he is NOT playing some bumbling doofus like in Mall Cop. He successfully pulls off the role of a president who is stuck in a video game and I cannot imagine anyone else doing a better job.

All in all, the movie was very entertaining (better the the Minions movie I took the kids too last month--snore...). How do you NOT enjoy seeing Pacman gobbling up cars and people like dots on the streets of New York City. Each game was parodied just the right amount. I wouldn't have wanted 90 minutes of any one video game, but I think they are successful in giving you just enough of each video game "battle" to keep in interesting and not boring.

It's exciting enough for kids that aren't familiar with the old- school games, but gives some nostalgia (and some subtle grown-up humor) to keep the adults entertained.

Sure, no one is going to win an Academy Award for this film, but it is funny, entertaining and an enjoyable way to spend an hour and 45 minutes.

Ignore The Pretentious & Pompous Film Critics

Author: angelamparo
29 September 2015

I'm really not quite sure what the film critics were expecting from this film. It's a movie about a video game apocalypse starring Adam Sandler. What in the world were they expecting? Citizen Kane? The Godfather?

The problem with these so-called film critics today is that they're impervious to accepting anything at face value. I believe it got such awful review from critics because it starred a lot of big name actors and maybe they expected more substance from them; but you have to look at the source material before making those determinations. This is a tongue-in-cheek slapstick comedy that's meant to entertain people especially those who grew up in the 80's and can relate to the video game evolution nostalgia of that time. If you watch this movie with that mindset, I guarantee you will not be disappointed.

pretty good movie to watch with kids

Author: fuzzhead72 from Dayton, Ohio
4 September 2015

I've been hooked on video games, especially the classic ones, since I played Space Invaders, Pac-Man, Dig Dug, Wizard of Wor, Frogger, Donkey Kong (etc., etc., etc.) at the arcades from the late 70's through mid 80's, and of course on home systems afterwards. My kids have played many of these classic arcade games on MAME and on compilation disks on the Gamecube. We absolutely loved Wreck It Ralph, so when I heard that there was another video game themed movie coming out, I was looking forward to watching it.

I wasn't able to get to the theater for the first month, but then it was showing at a local drive-in as the second feature. I went to watch it with my oldest son, who is not quite a teen yet. We were pretty bored by the first feature, which was a failed attempt to reboot yet another 60's TV show. However, Pixels really captured our attention, and we both loved the humor and the video game action.

I could have done without the reference to Martha Stewart that they put in there, and I would have liked to see maybe 4 or 5 more classic video games featured. I also would have liked for there to be some form of personal appearance by the alien A.I. in charge. Overall, however, I think it was the most fun my son and I had watching a movie this summer, and we've watched more than a dozen. After we watched it, he came home and played a bunch of the old video games for a few hours. I finally bought Pac Man Championship Edition DX+.

It certainly isn't a blockbuster, but with the international box office, it will finish at about 2.5 times its budget, so it will ultimately be another profitable movie. Is it the greatest movie of the year? No, but it would be a good choice for anybody who has played classic arcade games through the mid 80's.

Enjoyed It

Author: cashmere-12 from Canada
31 July 2015

Wasn't sure if we should see this movie or not reading some of the reviews on IMDb. My daughter wanted to see it and nothing else was playing so we went. We enjoyed it so much. It was funny and the 80's songs through out the movie were great. Once in awhile you would hear a little Olaf from Frozen come through seeing the actor who voiced him was in this movie. Adam Sandler was pretty good in this not his goofy self. It is just a fun movie to see.

The Pac Man scene was good with the mini coopers. Donkey Kong was great too. The special effects were good. Go see this movie and judge for yourself.

Although there were some upsides, it was mostly downs.

Author: Timothy Lau from Australia
23 September 2015

Against the advice and pleadings of my friends, I decided to give this movie a watch. After all, this recipe of movies solely about video games is seldom used, and if executed properly, can be a major success, relating to video gamers from the 80s onwards. However, despite the excellent CGI, which integrated 8 bit video game characters into real life, and the amusing jokes that were subtly placed throughout the film, the plot was sorely missing, character development was little to none, and the sound mixing was horrid. While I may accept this movie as a children's film and they would not worry about the plot holes in the movie, the movie is shown to at least consider an older, more mature audience who would watch this film as it may feature the video games that they grew up playing, and if they hadn't switched their brain off during the viewing of this movie, they would at least notice the ridiculousness of the plot, which even surpasses the absurdity of the possibility of an alien race attacking Earth with 80s video game characters. Made of light particles (?).

The movie begins in 1982, and following a not-so-subtle transition, the viewers are suddenly thrown into a world over 30 years into the future, where, without any prior explanation other than a will to achieve great things, Kevin James becomes the President of the United States, and Adam Sandler is given free will to explore the White House, and can attend meetings concerning national security (while uninvited) where he is allowed to insult the heads of the nation and get away without any repercussion... because of his charming personality.

Everybody seems okay with the fact that 8 bit video game characters are attacking Earth, killing (pixelating?) presumably thousands of people, if not more, per attack. And that fact does not incite mass panics or riots in major cities around the world.

There isn't any indication of time throughout the movie, apart from the 30-year jump. How much time passed between the battles and the next declaration? Days? Weeks? Months? There was sure enough time to organise a ball in the midst of intergalactic war, and for Peter Dinklage to invite Serena Williams.

Many things are simply... forgotten throughout the film. The trophy following the battle of London. The character development of many characters. How much do you know about the Wonderkid, despite him playing a major role in the movie?

The sound mixing is done terribly. During the final battle against Donkey Kong, We Will Rock You by Queen is dubbed over the dramatic battle music already in place. The same happens throughout the whole film, with Working For The Weekend by Loverboy seemingly placed on top of another battle with no reason I can make out other than the fact that they are the iconic sounds of 80s. The soundtrack comes as an afterthought, with NO correlation or tie-ins with the movie.

Minor plot holes I wanted to address here, consolidated to one paragraph: Donkey Kong cannot be defeated in one level, if the aliens are so anal about sticking to the spirit of the game. Wonderkid and Peter Dinklage wouldn't be alive today. Wonderkid's love interest is the only pixelated video game character of all to become... non-pixelated. And love transcends all dimensions once more, because she accepts Wonderkid's love confession and does not lop his head off straightaway.

Overall, this movie was amusing in some parts, and thumbs up to the visual department for the excellent CGI work, but I could not overlook the terrible plot and the nil-effort that some of the departments of the filmmakers seems to have put in. 3/10.

Virtual reality comes alive - in a fun way :)

Author: Sagi y from Israel
15 August 2015

* MIGHT CONTAIN SPOILERS (and peanuts) *

It had the basic concept we all know of the aliens trying to invade earth in-order to decimate it, and human kind has to come together and rise up to defeat the bad guys.

As technology evolves (in our world) - it is a nostalgic feast for the eyes to see all the games you used to love come to life (1987 here). If you didn't realize it by now, LIFE - is - a video game. You play the role of your persona, and set out to conquer the world.

All in all, for avid people of nostalgic games (and newbies), get your glasses (3D) on and enter the fun world of games.

This film should have been made with someone else, not Sandler.

Author: nixon carmichael from United States
24 July 2015

Adam Sandler is so wealthy at this point, he could about anything he wants, very well, but no.

This movie should have been made FOR me. I am the target audience, I grew up in the 1980s and 1990s playing these games and I WANTED to love th hell out of this film, but this could be the worst movie of 2015.

The video games attacking earth is a great idea, and execution of the game characters themselves is pretty good. The movie fails at its most basic as it is supposed to be a comedy but it's just not funny. Adam Sandler is clearly phoning it in, Kevin James is up to his usual antics, the clumsy fat guy, Josh Gad screams at the top of his lungs in every scene, and even the great Peter Dinklage is not good here, though Dinklage delivers the one laugh worthy moment in the film.

I was disappointed when I discovered that Chris Columbus directed the movie, as he is usually really good.

This is absolutely a 2/10 production, I'm not a hater, I wanted to love this movie so much, but the terrible execution from script to screen was too poor to even consider this as something that I could recommend in good faith. With a different lead actor/approach, this could have worked in spades, but the complete lack of effort here is the true disappointment. It's as though Adam Sandler didn't even try.

who gave money for this?

Author: corpdemon
20 January 2016

although no sane human ever thought this movie would have any value, it doesn't exempt it from being judged. every single second of it feels like a spit in the face of anyone with IQ higher than one digit. the story, the actors and the effects are absolutely terrible, not to mention the blood chilling bad attempts of a broken mind at humor. you can see the desperation of the people present in it, that they were in it for the money and even then are having second thoughts. the simple fact that this crime against viewers even made its budget back makes you wonder about the people that went to see it in theaters. movie industry keeps crying about people pirating, well the pixels is such a bad movie nobody is downloading it, it is losing no money to pirates, because no one in their right mind would even bother pirating it, as that would require them to make greater effort than the movie creators have to film it.

Great Pixels!!

Author: Raksmeychan Chhun from Cambodia
17 November 2015

I recently watched Pixels and was absolutely enjoyed this movie. It is a fiction action-comedy film and if you used to be part of the video gamer in the 80's and 90's, I'm sure you will like this movie and It will surely bring back your memories from your childhood. Adam Sandler was really amazing in this movie. He is somehow like a superhero. The movie is really entertaining with such great effects. There are some silly parts but it is pretty hilarious to me like a human falls in love with the video games' character. It keeps pushing me towards the end of the movie without disappointing me. The end of the movie was really what I expected. It was really cool but before that my heart was pounding like an alarm clock. Finally, I love how this film made my heart goes crazy about it. Overall, this is such a great movie to watch with a big piece of childhood memories mix with laughs and a love story.

This was a perfect family movie!

Author: Stacie Briggs from United States
20 October 2015

Okay, I am actually a little upset I listened to IMDb on this and didn't see it when it first came out.

This is my ideal type of movie, a Sci-Fi - Comedy, that is family appropriate.

This movie was very well made, graphics were great, and the story line and characters were fun to watch and kept you involved throughout the movie.

Its one of the few movies I have seen this year that I actually re-watched and was still loving the movie.

Yes, if you are hoping for a curse filled / sexually derogatory movie... you will not be happy with this.

But if your looking for a family movie that does not have dora the explore,care bears, barbies, or CGI animals in it... this is a great movie.

Perfect for the 20-40 somethings that played the games as kids and now have kids of their own.

Wish they would make more movies like this.

Page 1 of 36:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]