IMDb > Absolutely Fabulous: The Movie (2016) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Absolutely Fabulous: The Movie
Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Quite simply absolutely fabulous!

Author: Jay Johnson from United Kingdom
1 July 2016

I'm from someone who is a massive fan of the TV series, the film didn't disappoint. No it's not particularly original, nor is it the best comedy Saunders herself has written, but this film is so feel good you can't help but grin, giggle and laugh-out-loud throughout.

The film is brisk and whips by very quickly. Though the story is often disjointed, it's not where the film goes it's what happens while you're there. Joanna Lumley and Jennifer Saunders are just a joy to watch and there's a ton of fan service as practically everyone who has ever been in the show makes an appearance here.

I came out of the cinema grinning ear to ear, which oddly not all comedies manage to do. It was like going for meal with an old friend that always makes you laugh.

If you weren't a fan of the show steer well clear - this is not a film for you. To those that did enjoy the show it's a must see. No it's not going to win any awards (though Joanna Lumley is such a terrific comedy actress), nor is it going to challenge the convention of comedy, but it is going to make you happy. Isn't that comedy was created for?

Absolutely Fabulous Sweetie Darling!

Disappointing; Only for die hard fans of the original series

Author: Andrew Reaney (RubyMowzRulez) from United Kingdom
11 July 2016

As a huge fan of Ab Fab I was looking forward to this a lot. What's more, I wasn't worried about the quality of the writing, as the special Olympic episodes merely a few years ago stood up to the original shows quality. I wouldn't say my expectations were particularly high nonetheless, I didn't expect anything groundbreaking, merely something in the range of The Last Stand or Gay. Alas, the film doesn't quite live up to any of that.

Overall, it ends up just being a homage to the original series. The majority of the screen time is stuffed with "LOOK! CELEBRITY CAMEO! YEAH WE GOT THEM!" or "HEY REMEMBER THAT ONE JOKE FROM THAT ONE EPISODE? HERES A REFERENCE TO THAT!" I came out of the theatre disappointed and just craving to go home and re-watch the original show.

Honestly, I think a huge part of it's weakness is it totally drops the strengths of the original series. Some of the original series funniest moments were it's overly dramatic monologues, laden with smart insults and often traded between Patsy/Saffy or Edina/Saffy. There isn't really any of that here.

If you are a huge fan like myself, I'd still recommend seeing it. I think, like me, you may end up disappointed, unless you are such a die hard fan you are blinded by the weaker writing quality, but it's still worth a watch to judge for yourself, and the film still has a couple moments worth seeing. It's not very long either, or at least doesn't feel too long, so at least you won't feel like you've wasted your time.

Either way, it's obvious this film is largely the result of a bet between Saunders and Dawn French. It lacks the soul of the original series, and while it isn't awful, it's just not good either.

Bonkers, but great for fans of the TV show

Author: laurenb-03294
11 July 2016

This film is lighthearted, funny and crazy from beginning to end. If you were a fan of the TV show, I think you're more likely to enjoy it because you would understand the silliness and not expect it to be amazing. This film shows the return of Patsy, Edina and Saffy, along with some new characters and many celebrity cameos.

One of the new characters we see in the film is Edina's granddaughter; Lola. Lola appears frequently throughout but fails to engage the audience. The character is weak and I think shouldn't appear as often as she does in the film.

From the very beginning of this film we notice there are many celebrity cameos in this film, 60 in total. Many of these celebrities only appear for a minute each, but some of them are not needed at all as they only say a word or two. Despite this, many of the other celebrity appearances are very amusing and bring a smile to our faces. For example, Rebel Wilson, Lulu etc.

Overall, this film is crazy, amusing and doesn't fail to make you smile. It is definitely aimed at people who were fans of the TV show, as it brings a sense of nostalgia and reuses some of the classic jokes used in the show. The story line is bonkers, but that's what we expect from Patsy and Edina. Some characters definitely shouldn't have been included as they don't add anything to the film and appear to be used to fill time. If you weren't a fan of the show, I'd give this one a miss.

I'm a fan of the show, big fan of the movie!

Author: retrofiles from Cardiff, Wales
2 July 2016

I have loved Ab Fab from day one, back in 1992 and have a boxset I sometimes still dig out and watch when I have time. Last night I chose to watch the movie over watching Wales win their way to their first semi final ever in the Euros. That's how much I love the series and had been looking forward to the film hitting the cinema!

I love the characters Eddy and Patsy - always thought Jennifer Saunders is hilarious, even when she was still doing French and Saunders. Joanna Lumley looks fantastic though and what a great actress with perfect comedy timing at 70! - and this movie delivers its familiar in your face parody of the fashion scene and PR business, showing how pretentious they are with sharp satire. It returned to everything that was witty in the first few series, with outrageous behaviour from the lead characters.

I may be biased because I am such a huge fan, so if you love the series like I do, you won't be disappointed.

Not so Fabulous

Author: Guy Jeffries from London, Uk
3 July 2016

Eddie and Patsy returns, the super smash hit comedy TV directed British TV comedy director, Mandie Fletcher who directed a few of the 47 episodes spanning twenty years, a few of Desmond's, some Blackadder, loads of Brush Strokes and most recently, a couple of Miranda's.

Comedy extraordinaire Jennifer Saunders writes her first screenplay off the back of a £100,000 bet with partner in crime Dawn French, but apparently at page 35, the rest just reads "blah blah blah..." Actually showing her comedy brilliance. I do wonder if Frenchie paid up.

All the key characters are there, Press Gang's Julia Sawalha, inflatable wearing Jane Horrocks' Bubble, June Whitfield actually turning 90 during filming and Kathy Burke reprises her role as the outrageously demanding Magda. Singer superstar Lulu, Spice Girl Emma Bunton, Peep Show's Robert Webb and Glee's Chris Colfer joins the cast.

Joanna Lumley still looks incredible for 70 (sorry JL!) but 70! Wow! Her Patsy character has always been my favourite and she seems to gets the most laughs. Saunders reprises her Edina without fault and I sometimes find it hard to remember what she's like in real life, expecting her to be Eddie full time.

The film introduces a young Indeyarna Donaldson-Holness this possibly being her acting debut which unfortunately shows. She's not bad but isn't convincing. Little else is known about her and I wonder how she got the part of Saffy's daughter.

There's plenty of product placement and branding, cameos galore, more cameos than actually extras and cast I think, many of them from the fashion world that I don't particular acknowledge, oh! Stella McCarthy. Who I do know is Joan Collins, Graham Norton, Jean-Paul Gaultier, Jerry Hall and even Dame Edna and a Timmy Mallet plus many more! Having such a long list of regal cameos proves it's for the older fans as I doubt many of these silver stars would be recognised by a younger generation. Then again, there's some sweeties for the kids, Pitch Perfect and Bridesmaid Aussie star Rebel Wilson, who's a massive fan of AF and begged to be in the film before hitting her own stardom; and of course Game of Thrones' Brienne of Tarth, the mighty Gwendoline Christie.

As expected, it has a silly story and a funny script. Eddie, hitting an all time low, runs out of money, kills Kate Moss and earns the hatred of the fashion world. Resulting in the duo to elope to the French Riviera. Quite a lot happens in the long 90 minute run time and is a little, all over the place, even for a comedy.

Nothing much of a soundtrack, and I was expecting more but it does suit the TV series. Just shame as many of these TV-to-film seem to take advantage and give themselves a decent soundtrack album. Didn't even notice anything of Jake Monaco's score.

Just wasn't funny enough, but maybe that's just me as a couple of people in the packed out audience just couldn't stop laughing. It's starts on a roll and then loses traction. I think my one time laugh-out-loud moment was Saffy's short but beautiful cursing rant and Patsy's reaction. Joanna Lumley was absolutely fabulous darling!

Running Time: 4 The Cast: 8 Performance: 6 Direction: 6 Story: 5 Script: 3 Creativity: 4 Soundtrack: 4 Job Description: 3 The Extra Bonus Points: 0

43% 4/10

absolutely awful

Author: m_a-62756 from nz
26 August 2016

I did not hear a laugh throughout the movie theater. I only stayed for 30mins I felt I could be having more laughs at our local ambulance depot went home depressed from spending $32.00 (2 of us) this is a real shocker of a movie. it just ain't funny and you cringe because you are so embarrassed for them. Maybe they desperately need the money, and thought we will jump on the ole gravy train we are all typecast anyhow. should of wrapped it up at the end of series one when at least it was funny,its kinda sad to see such a mass of brilliant English talent plus a pile of money be wasted on this pathetic vehicle. really if I were any of them I would be so embarrassed and so they should be. it really is absolutely awful

Absolutely Awful Daaarling!!I I was looking forward to this too :(

Author: sam isaac from United Kingdom
3 July 2016

I was really hoping this would be as funny and clever as the TV series, unfortunately it was torture to sit through, i so wanted to get up and leave and tbh i wouldn't have missed a thing if i did as it didn't get any better. It was an even keel of rubbish.

I can't believe the BBC were behind this embarrassing movie, i guess they saw £pound signs first, which is fair enough but PLEASE make a bit of effort at least! And i couldn't believe when the credits rolled to reveal that Jennifer Saunders wrote the screenplay.

I remember Keith Lemon:The Film getting panned by the critics and public, this is easily as bad or worse!

The celebrity cameo's in this movie were embarrassing to watch and they will surely regret there decisions to be in this once they see it for themselves. And the non "celebrity" actors/actresses involved seemed as if they were pulled off the street, very amateur and over the top, like Edina's granddaughter Lola for example.

The movie felt sooo cheap considering the glamour involved with the characters. Patsy and Edina did the best they could to wring laughs from every situation but it just didn't work...i just can't believe Jennifer Saunders and Joanna Lumley went through with this without some sort of clearer plan to make it a fun movie at least even if it wasn't as laugh-out-loud, i mean there TV shows were all well made! It felt like it was trying to be a American comedy movie in its form but it came across more like those cheap and nasty cash-in American spoof movies like Epic Movie, Disaster Movie, etc., which you would probably get more laughs from tbh.

In an audience of about 30 people there was only a few slight giggles from a couple of people throughout the whole film which isn't really enough to qualify as a comedy success sorry to say. I watched Central Intelligence last week and that had the same audience reaction BUT it was a fun movie and i left with a smile on my face so i gave that an average 6/10, just for the fun factor.

I liked the Absolutely Fabulous trailer so all i can say is if you like the trailer then just be prepared for that to be the best thing about this whole project.

Fabulously entertaining

Author: Gordon-11 from Earth
2 July 2016

This film tells the story of two high profile publicists in London, who are on the run because they accidentally pushed Kate Moss into River Thames during a red carpet party.

"Absolutely Fabulous: The Movie" is purely silly but it's entertaining and glamorous. It is fun to watch the numerous cameos, and Joan Collins who is in the film for only two seconds but receives a credit! Kate Moss and Emma Bunton are both great to watch, I think how Kate lost track of time is hilarious. The locations are full of fabulousness, especially that house they live in with a huge indoor swimming pool next to the lounge!

It's a great way to spend time thinking about nothing and have a laugh.

It's the best, darling!

Author: Dagnessa from London
2 July 2016

I have been waiting for this movie for a long time and it did not disappoint! I am a huge fan of the TV series. I am addicted to it. So I missed them. I missed Patsy, Edina and the gang. Going to the cinema was like visiting old friends. All of them are there, everybody. Big names, you know; and again they make you laugh like if nothing has changed.

Lights! Models! Guest list! It was the best, darling!

The only issue was that I was only allowed 2 bottles of wine in the cinema!! Do they know who we were going to see?!

ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS!

Lots of fun.

Author: Paul Evans from Swansea, United Kingdom
17 July 2016

Now I think it's fair to say there isn't exactly a phenomenal success rate transforming sitcoms into movies, with the Office looming, it looks like a new trend. The main question I guess, does An Fab the movie hit the spot? The answer is yes to some extent, as a die hard fan it's helped fill the void since the last run ended. I imagine the world of PR is about getting celebritied up, and that's exactly how the film felt. More A Listers then you could shake a stick at, including the beautiful Kate Moss, as well as the usual series favourites, laughed at seeing the characters i guess for the memories they conjured up, such as the nurse, Marshall and Bo. Patsy and Edina provided the usual laughs and chaos, and the group of friends I saw it with all concurred, laughs for fun and sentimentality.

A film I very much looked forward to hugely and enjoyed, but please team bring us another TV series. One word on Joanna Lumley's figure, wow!!!

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]