IMDb > Paranormal Activity 4 (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Paranormal Activity 4

Paranormal Activity 4 More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 24:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Disappointingly par for the course

Author: (aaronballam@hotmail.co.uk) from United Kingdom
17 October 2012

Franchise fatigue has definitely set in with this tedious fourth instalment.

After taking things off on a slightly different tangent with the previous film, the same writing/directing duo instead plump for the same old, same old - lots of nothing happening before LOUD NOISES! freak out the teenage girls in the audience and the less discerning horror moviegoers.

And, despite some spirited (ha!) performances, the lack of any real plot development leaves the mythology treading water and the series as a whole rather confused.

Ultimately, PA 4 is a step back and the textbook definition of 'diminished return'.

Waste of time and money

Author: Njinked from United States
22 October 2012

what a waste of time and cash.. the movie was pointless. with no flow. no questions answered. just a waste. I never review movies but had to share how bad this was..compared to part 1- 2- and 3.... i don't know what else to say other than how misleading the commercial is.. the commercial was cut and spliced with video and audio that didn't even match what happened in the movie... you have been warned. when the movie was over.. people actually Boo'd. hopefully people will spread the word, and save others from throwing their money away. i know die-hard fans will go and give it a shot, but will be disappointed as well. Sinister was better and actually made you jump quite a few times.

lazy / conveniently-chosen cinematography genre that's, to me, most unforgivable of all… very, very poor storytelling

Author: wcameronmartin from Seattle, WA
21 October 2012

I am never giving this franchise another dime, nor another minute of my life; mark my words, so long as I live. That's four movies, at approximately two hours per film, twelve opening-weekend cinema passes at three tickets per release… all for what?? There's no bigger-picture, here! There's no larger story being told… there *IS* no story to this story!

The writers are doing nothing more than frantically clamoring to try and keep the series going for just one-more-year. Short pay-off, because they realize they've got NOTHING of substance. Like "Lost," in it's final season, you're left holding the bag, realizing it was all for nothing: the writers had sh*t, and so that is what they gave you… sh*t.

Me? I'm embarrassed I stayed this long. This is my stop, this is where I get off.

Rubbish

Author: bbwrotherham from Rotherham
21 October 2012

What complete and utter garbage!! I want my money back!! so slow and it didn't really get going at all....makes you jump a couple of times and that's mainly due to the loud bangs...and the ending,what was that about??? really hope they don't make another one !! if they do I certainly will not be going as much as I love the cinema,it says I have to write ten lines to be able to post my view...can I really moan about it for that long?? yeah I guess so,and would I be able to put a spoiler,well no you can't spoil what is already rubbish ....really disappointed with this but then again they kind of did go down hill the more they made,if they do make another one it will be the same again I suppose cause what else is there do with it,the same happens over and over..OK well rant over,if you do go and see this be prepared,you may nod off.

A major step backwards in the franchise, even for fans of it.

Author: andell (andell1@juno.com) from Toronto, Canada
19 October 2012

Okay, so I'll admit that I found the first "Paranormal Activity" to be overrated, and the second to be largely an extension of the first. The third one, I must admit, I found very effective at times, and it was the best of the franchise in my view.

Now we have "Paranormal Activity 4," and I must admit, I found this one utterly ridiculous in so many ways.

The base story is that Katie, the possessed woman from the first two films, and the sibling who was haunted by Toby in the third film, has moved next door to a new family with her adopted son "Robbie" in tow.

Robbie has a propensity for wandering onto the property of the neighbours across the street, giving Alex, the daughter of the family, and her best friend Ben the creeps...something that they mention seemingly every 30 seconds in the first half of the film.

One night Katie is taken away in an ambulance, and so the family across the street takes in Robbie until Katie is well enough to come home. During this time Robbie bonds with the family's young son Wyatt...and introduces him to his unseen companion...who we assume is "Toby," though I don't recall this ever being made clear.

Paranormal activities begin to plague the family, in particular Alex, from the moment that Robbie enters the home...but her efforts to alert her family of what's going on falls on deaf ears until, by the end, they meet the typical franchise fate.

Now it has to be said that I think the found footage element in this film has been stretched to the max. I mean, there are no home video cameras in the film...it's all captured apparently on laptop web cam...which requires Alex to basically cart along her laptop wherever she goes, while the other laptops are set to remote record.

Apparently no one closes there laptop after they're done using it, but I digress...the formula is obviously warn out.

As is the need to rely on jump scares and CGI. Seriously, aside from some menacing moments when Katie appears behind someone, and you're waiting to see what she does, there is literally no scares besides jump scares.

The most bizarre moment of the entire film...is when Alex and her Father are under attack by the witches coven and the paranormal force...and presumably as she's running for her life, Alex is carrying around her laptop.

To be honest, I just think they've run out of ideas on this franchise, which is I suspect why the film, even with about five minutes of clips from the first two films, just barely makes it over the 80 minute mark.

My advice: if you're looking for a scary film that will be with you for days...go see "Sinister." If you see this one, prepare to be disappointed...as it wouldn't be incorrect to say that the scariest scenes...are in the trailer...some of which somehow don't even make it into the film itself.

Epic fail :(

Author: www-qwat from Minsk, Belarus
19 October 2012

At first, i want to say, that i was expecting a lot from this movie. I went to cinema all pumped up with a lot of my friends and i prepared myself for something really scary. Even when "night #1" appeared on the screen, we were ready to pee our pants. But all my hopes ended within 40 minutes. At first, 80% of the movie was completely pointless, and i'm not even mentioning the fact about absence of shocking moments, even "traditional paranormal activity jump scares" were left out. Most of the intense moments were interrupted or not finished at all. The main characters were acting like a group of idiots. So many "no reason" things throughout the movie. Horribly written script which ruined the whole paranormal activity "thing" in it. And a trailer shows a lot of the moments which didn't appear in the movie itself.

P.S. Result: Hollywood makes good movies in a pile of dog crap. Period.

Disappointing to say the least.

Author: Danielle Padula
18 October 2012

I went into the movie not expecting it to be as good as the other Paranormal Activities. They all seemed to go downhill since the first one came out. This one was just too slow. There were the obvious suspenseful scenes but there just wasn't enough. The movie had hope at times but then it was just squashed by rushing through. They didn't go into much detail about the demonic possession and skipped over plenty of unanswered questions. The last twenty minutes of the movie were by far the best. And that is the only reason it got four stars. I do hope they give up and don't plan on making another one. The few screams that the movie did get wasn't worth the $11.50 I paid for the ticket. Wait until it comes out on RedBox.

Horrible

Author: Sam Al Sayed from Canada
21 October 2012

Honestly, they definitely messed this one up big time, there was absolutely no major scary scenes....it was extremely slow for the audience to even keep them frightened in one pace. In the movie, they show you dates of incidents, and the first incident I believe it started from November 1st 2011, and I kid you not, some small jumpy parts started in incident November 9th 2011....your just sitting there questioning your self, when the hell am I going to fly off my seat?? because lets face it, we're all there to enjoy an actual horror movie right, the 1st one was scary as HELL, 2nd one was OKAY, 3rd was GREAT. It just bothers me how they don't keep the movie exciting enough for the Paranormal Activity fans, how would they like to have the people come back to watch the movie again? or be able to trust the director or writer of the movie? I was very VERY disappointed in this one, and if there is 5 its just going to get even more sillier and sillier and just come up with stupid ideas and story, not with this movie they won't be able to keep up! EPIC FAIL IN THE 4TH ONE. enough said.

Absolute waste of time!!

Author: NieshaStevens07 from United States
18 October 2012

First off let me just say that as a film in a franchise this was absolutely horrible!!!! I was bored out of my mind and my friend was yawning throughout the film. We did, however, get a good laugh when the grown men in the theater were screaming. Much of the scenes shown in the trailer did not make it in the film which is disappointing. With about seven scenes where we actually flinch, the movie is completely drawn out and a sad attempt to end a franchise that was held in such high regards. Other than that Katie's presence was a plus and the acting of the young girl Alex. Please do not waste your money, time or screams.

Was Not Even Worth The Price (May contain Spoilers)

Author: zdavies45
17 October 2012

I would just like to start by saying that if you are a true fan of the original and know the story through and through, then this movie will not do anything for you. BUT, if you are just there for a few cheap jump scares, go for it.

Still here? Okay lets continue.

From the get go, you are introduced to the films before it, but none of the true mythology the previous films have built up (which is a shame because the third film left things to be explored). You are also introduced to a new family and that all you should really know for now.

This movie is not worth it. Unlike the first film (and to an extent the second film) tension is not built up to a satisfying ending, as 20 minutes into the film we are already well established and getting scared by things popping out at any time. The acting in the film is okay for a horror movie for a film. BUT for a film so late into a franchise with no set direction for a 5th film, i think they should just let it die (but i'm sure 13 yr olds will just LOVE it for the fact things jump out which is NOT scary) And the Ending. I will not even comment as i believe it to be not a proper ending and i will go on a rant.

Don't expect too much and you might enjoy it but for what its worth, it was atrocious, just another franchise getting run into the ground like the Saw films.

Page 1 of 24:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]