IMDb > "Once Upon a Time" Hat Trick (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Once Upon a Time" Hat Trick (2012)

« Prev | 17 of 66 Episodes | Next »

The caterpillar smoking the hookah lol

Author: Anita de Acosta Keith (g_keith@sbcglobal.net) from Columbus, Ohio USA
25 March 2012

Hat Trick great. A surreal romp into some of the Alice in Wonderland story.... I wanted to hear the Q. of Hearts scream out, "Off with his head!" but it was merely a whimper/whisper. I did like the red colors of the people of Wonderland. Her soldiers dress in red, whereas the Evil Queen's soldiers are outfitted in dreary yet regal black. Both are quite spiffy IMO.

Regina needs her comeuppance, and she needs it badly. I would love to see her squirm, twitch, get tortured and her heart torn out. Maybe her father will do it, lol. She is such an evil S.O.B., and I mean that with all sincerity. Any woman who is nasty and horrible I call an S.O.B., because she has no feminine qualities.

I liked the part where psycho Jefferson (an odd name here) tries to convince Emma to believe in all the legends and stories. I even liked the part where Emma said she was going into the other room to kiss her mother, then she hauls off and cracks Jefferson with his telescope. The part of his beheading/healing scar was really creepy.

I didn't know that the Mad Hatter had such a backstory. I liked the parts about the two rabbits, the one in the marketplace and the one later made by Jefferson. I wish there had been a real, live rabbit like in Alice in Wonderland (maybe the Disney movie?), wearing a vest and pocket watch). Maybe he will show up in a later episode, and I wonder (pun intended) whose counterpart he is in Storybrooke. Perhaps Jefferson's handmade rabbit was wearing the vest, but I am not sure.

This is a great series. It beats out a lot of mediocre and poor shows on the rest of TV.

Hat Trick

Author: tbmforclasstsar from United States
26 March 2012

I mentioned it last week, but, again, I was a bit skeptical after having watched the sneak peek for tonight's episode of "Once Upon a Time." I've noticed that one of this show's flaws has been to show us a whole slew of characters for, seemingly, just the hell of it. And while it can be fun to see in what new, whimsical manners our favorite time-honored characters will be presented in, in doing so, "OUAT" often fails to propel itself in the direction it needs to head. Luckily, though, tonight's episode proved that, for the most part, I was unnecessarily worried.

We pick up right where last week's episode left off—Mary Margaret is officially on the run after having escaped, and it's up to Emma to find her before Regina can take notice. On her way to do so, however, Emma nearly runs over a handsome stranger (guest star Sebastian Stan) who introduces himself, simply, as Jefferson. Noticing a slight limp (which he is obviously faking—the camera doesn't just linger on his feet for no reason), she offers him a ride home, and he graciously accepts it.

Back at his place, which is riddled with eccentric wallpaper, top hats, and large tea cups ("OUAT" is many things, but subtle is not one of them), Jefferson's true nature is revealed as he drugs Emma and ties her up. While she's quick to attempt an escape, she doesn't get too far before she stumbles upon Mary Margaret, who Jefferson has likewise kidnapped. Realizing his advantage (no one in town knows of Emma's whereabouts), Jefferson threatens the women and refuses to let either of them go free, as he's in dire need of Emma's help making a "magic" hat.

Why?

Because—just in case you didn't watch the previews for this week's episode, or simply failed to pick up on the blatant signals this show continuously throws at you—Jefferson, in the fairytale flashbacks , is The Mad Hatter.

Now, The Mad Hatter is one of those fictional characters I've always been inexplicably intrigued by, so there was the slight chance that this particular fairytale flashback could've gone terribly wrong. Surprisingly, though, it didn't, and I found this "new approach" to a familiar character to be amongst my favorites this show has done so far.

Read the rest of the review at: http://custodianfilmcritic.com/once- upon-a-time-1-17-hat-trick-2/