From IV, The Lost and Damned or The Ballad of Gay Tony:
- Police computer. Instead a character named Maud Eccles has a sequence of five bounties for Trevor to collect, and there are also Rampage events that only Trevor can locate and carry out, which altogether are like substitutes for vigilante missions. Given Lester Crest's role, no part of the story elicits a need for any protagonist's access to a rap sheet database.
- Crouching. Instead the protagonist bends his knees slightly, curving his back, and moves silently; not so different but there is more vertical exposure than before.
- Firing from a taxi as a passenger. The closet thing to being able to do this is in GTA Online, through Merryweather Security's helicopter pickup service.
- Disarming melee opponents without killing them. The fighting mechanics overall are slightly different, providing other advantages.
- Vehicle save spaces on the street next to the sidewalk. Instead all save spaces except for the Vanilla Unicorn's are organized into either (1) safehouse garages without sufficient vertical clearance for large vehicles to fit in, (2) airplane hangars, (3) helicopter pads or (4) boat docks. Helicopters can only be stored on and retrieved from a protagonist's uniquely designated helipad.
- Selling vehicles. Instead few hundreds of GTA dollars can be earned by whichever protagonist owns the junk yard, whenever he destroys a vehicle; while Franklin can earn similar amounts of money by towing cars. In GTA Online, one vehicle per real-time day can be sold at any automobile customization and repair shop (Los Santos Customs or Beeker's Garage).
- Six-star wanted level. The absence make sense as the only difference between having five stars and six stars had been the radius of the police search area which is no longer a mechanic of wanted levels.
- Receiving raunchy photographs through the mobile phone. Instead there is a serenity in that acquaintances, whether love interests or not, scarcely pester the protagonists at all; and semi-explicit material can be found scattered throughout the in-game Web anyway.
- Internal fire escapes with or without roof accesses. The closest thing to this is the radio tower in Fort Zancudo. In general, there are far fewer interiors that can be accessed outside of missions explicitly involving them.
- Skipping to the next stop while aboard the subway train. The trade-off is that the protagonist can use his smartphone, bawl with other passengers, fire weapons or hop out of the train, at any time along its path, and riding the train is free of charge.
- Being pursued by either FIB Buffalo or Enforcer. Instead the black-colored, unmarked police SUV simply designated as FIB (the non-police variant being named Granger) carrying two SWAT operatives on its exterior (in addition to the usual four inside) pursues the protagonist at the corresponding wanted levels, which is mainly a new, more intimidating sort of ambiance from the way things were done in 2008 Liberty City. Meanwhile, the Police Riot substitutes the Enforcer, as the armored NOoSE vehicle, and is usually strictly used for road blocks.
- ZiT. Instead the name of a song and its performer appear on screen in the middle of the radio station selection dial, which makes identifying the content much easier and more efficient now.
- Surviving explosions or taking no damage from free falling at great distance into water.
- Backup (like Dwayne Forge's friendship benefit). Instead it may be possible to for any one of the protagonists to wreak havoc but not start any mission of any kind while hanging out with any of the other protagonists who will assuredly be armed; the non-player protagonists providing combat assistance the player protagonist. Alternatively Franklin's pet dog, Chop, can be helpful with certain tasks like locating hidden packages, while doubling as a security dog. In GTA Online, an backup helicopter that follows and provides combat assistance the protagonist can be requested, through a service provided by Merryweather Security.
- Loyal taxi (like Roman Bellic's). Instead Downtown Cab Co. can be bought by Franklin, which makes all taxi rides for him free of charge. The beauty of old game was that weapons could be discharged from Roman's Taxi without the driver abandoning the vehicle and thus abandoning the route.
- Weapons delivery (like Little Jacob Hughes's, Terry Thorpe's or Armando Torres's arsenal). Instead all weapons become available at every Ammu-Nation store by the end of the game. However, in GTA Online, ammunition drops (but with no weapons) can be delivered upon request by parachute to the protagonist's exact spot if physically possible, through a service provided by Merryweather Security.
- Car bomb (like Packie McReary's friendship benefit). However, in GTA Online, non-special cars can be rigged to detonate when entered or by remote control, through services provided by any automobile customization and repair shop (Los Santos Customs or Beeker's Garage) that is visited.
- Helicopter transport (like Brucie Kibbutz's friendship benefit). However, it is available in GTA Online, through Merryweather Security, and the pilot comes to the protagonist's exact spot if physically possible. In addition, marine vehicles, aerial vehicles and heavy duty terrestrial vehicles, for piloting by the owner or companion thereto, can be delivered to the nearest of a finite set of select locations, through a service provided by Pegasus Lifestyle Management (for owned vehicles) or by Lester Crest (for borrowed vehicles).
- Vehicle delivery (like Clay Simons' or Henrique Bardas'). However, it is available in GTA Online, through a character known only as the Mechanic, granted only an already-owned vehicle can be delivered.
- Health boost (like Carmen Ortiz's friendship benefit). Instead the protagonist's health regenerates to at least half capacity, while he is motionless. In GTA Online, players can accumulate a small amount of snacks and bulletproof vests, using them as needed to boost health and armor levels; and a dose of a combat performance enhancing drug known as Bullshark Testosterone (which renders an an effect equivalent that of Trevor's special ability) can be delivered upon request to a spot within a hundred yards of the protagonist, through a service provided by Brucie Kubbutz.
- Wanted level removal (like Kiki Jenkins' or Francis McReary's). However, it is available for a prorated fee in GTA Online, through a service provided by Lester Crest.
- Job request. Instead all jobs are started by the protagonist visiting specific locations at certain time frames or by being called by a non-player character. However, in GTA Online, various non-player characters can be dialed, a debrief of random previously completed Contact Mission can be acquired, and the player can choose to accept to the mission.
- Race request. Instead all races can be started at will by the protagonist visiting sites that are indexed with icons on the map when not on a mission.
- Bowling, 8-Ball, Hi-Lo, Arm Wrestling, Air Hockey, Dancing or Cage Fight. Instead there are Tennis, Yoga and the Shooting Range but not only those as darts and land races return from IV (though the player is only free to use the same specific vehicle types as the NPC contestants will be using); and golf, triathlons and base jumping all return from Gay Tony. In GTA Online, arm wrestling only with other players is available. Online also features air races but without NPC contestants.
- Stand-up comedy or Cabaret acts. Instead, there are nickelodeons or movie theaters with bizarre films and no real world celebrity appearances.
- Private dances. Instead the protagonist awards cash to the main pole dancer at Vanilla Unicorn. However, in GTA Online, dancers can be summoned to a protagonist's house.
- QUB3D. The arcade box appears but cannot be played. It may be worth nothing that it's the kind of game that would be a smartphone app nowadays.
- Jazz, Ambient or Chillout. The closest station to carrying these is Worldwide FM. An interesting bit of trivia concerning Fusion FM and West Coast Classics can be found here.
- Eastern European. To be fair, this maybe couldn't be expected to appear in any story other than one involving Niko Bellic or a character like him.
- Disco. Likewise, this maybe couldn't be expected to appear in any contemporary story other than one involving Tony Prince or a character like him.
- Classic Rock or Metal.
Note: Of course, any of the above could in the future be reinstated via downloadable content, but more likely to GTA Online than Story Mode.