IMDb > In Your Eyes (2014) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
In Your Eyes

In Your Eyes More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

A well done sci-fi/fantasy romantic comedy

Author: elykron from United States
21 April 2014

I saw this movie at its premiere the Tribeca Film Festival. It had some really good dialogue and some very funny scenes. The movie takes a little bit of time to get its footing, but once it finds it the movie is interesting and funny. It occasionally borders on getting cheesy but the better parts of the film more than make up for it. It is somewhat predictable, like most romantic movies, but that doesn't really detract from the movie at all.

The acting is really good from all of the leads and the chemistry between Zoe Kazan and Michael Stahl-David is great despite not having much on screen interaction. Director Brin Hill did a great job of making a potentially disorienting topic really easy to follow. The dialogue is very witty as is typical in Joss Whedon's work. There is also a lot of genre mixing which is typical in his films.

The movie is successful in pretty much everything it attempts. The movie is very funny, interesting, and at times, fairly intense. Despite being a micro budget movie, it does not feel that way at all.

All Time Favourite! Wow!

Author: oliverpower-980-540820 from United Kingdom
23 April 2014

What I hate about happy ending in every movie I watch is the fact that the story still isn't really over. What makes this movie so great is that the ending was built up to so well, it was at the point in the storyline I wanted it to end at.

What I love about this movie is how by the end of the movie I was left feeling like the only way they could live and be happy, was together and the fact that a connection they've had since birth brings them together. I don't consider myself much of a romantic but there's something about being fated to be with someone and the idea that sharing your life with the right person, THE person, will give me my own happy ending and that just makes me gush.

The casting was amazing especially Zoe Kazan who certainly wasn't hard to look at. If you're on the border on whether or not to watch this all you need to know is its a romantic film and its amazing!

Wow

Author: schmittinger83 from Pinellas Park, FL
3 May 2014

I don't know what the hell those last two folks were smoking when they watched this movie...but they missed probably one of the best love stories that I've ever seen! Obviously, they've never really been in love or haven't found their soul mates yet. The acting is incredible...especially when you add the fact that the two main characters are never in the same film studio. Pure acting at it's best! I also like the fact that the whole world could see this at the same time and not have to wait for it to show up at their local theaters. I pity the people who don't have a computer, because they'll never know the masterpiece that they missed. Maybe someday it will be made into a DVD for them? Does anyone know if it will be?

Great performances really make this movie

Author: deardarkness from United Kingdom
21 April 2014

In Your Eyes was written by Joss Whedon but on the surface it isn't your usual Whedon story. It is essentially a tale of love, two people who feel connected but are thousands of miles apart. Yet there is a twist, they can literally see through each others eyes and into the others world.

Now at times this film could verge on the melodrama but the chemistry between leads Zoe Kazen as Rebecca and Michael Stahl-David as Dylan is pretty amazing made more surprising by the fact that well they aren't on screen together. It is really hard not to fall for their charms even if the story goes many places I expected it to.

Not groundbreaking by any means by definitely worth watching. This is a tale about lonely people trying to connect and in the end that really is what a lot of Whedon's work is about.

Brilliant concept

Author: amesyclarke from Australia
10 August 2014

Absolutely loved this film. A fresh idea that I personally have never heard of has finally made its way into the film industry. They only ever come by once in a blue moon. The casting is spot on. Zoe Kazan and Michael Stahl-David were perfect for the roles of Dylan and Rebecca. Ever since I saw Michael in his breakout role of Rob Hawkins in Cloverfield, I knew I had to keep and eye on him. He is definitely going places and this movie proves that.

This is the sort of movie where chemistry plays a major role and they without a doubt pulled it off. Without it, it would have been a big flop. Although it wasn't made on a small budget, it still had the same feel as one, which is nice. It adds a whole other element to it.

I could easily watch this another couple times and still be just as pleased as the first. Definitely worth buying.

One of the greatest romances I've ever had the pleasure to watch

Author: Maarten Debacker from Belgium
18 November 2014

This movie goes beyond what most romantic movies strive to do: depict a touching love story. Instead of just doing that this is about the immaterial asset in love we humans think we're capable of: to truly connect with someone on a higher level that no one else can understand. Some view this story as a romantic sci-fi movie, but these viewers ought to pay closer attention to unravel the continuous symbolism that runs throughout. The main concept that is to be found here is an allegory, with the subject consisting of distant soul mates.

The element of distance must've posed a daring job for cinematographers and actors, but they overcame this obstacle brilliantly: camera angles, lighting, stills,...all emphasized the 'facial acting' of the two lead characters portrayed by Zoe Kazan and Michael Stahl-David. On a closing note: Zoe Kazan- I don't know what it is about that innocence- epitomizes the new romance flick leading ladies. Following in the footsteps of Zooey Deschanel and Rachel McAdams these ladies win over a very broad male audience which has a whole lot to do with presenting a counterweight for the -often balancing on vulgar- sexually (and morally) unruly pop culture.

I am so thankful that I found this movie!

Author: kiwistar1991 from United States
15 December 2014

I was skimming through Netflix and noticed this hidden gem. I normally ignore the newer things Netflix puts up especially when I've heard nothing about the movie even though it had come out this year. But i saw some other reviews on IMDb and thought, what the heck? I'll give it a try. I am so glad I did! I could not keep my eyes off of it. The acting is just amazing! The story had me hooked from the first scene. It is so much more than just a supernatural love story. The characters are so believable even though they're in an unrealistic setting. In Your Eyes is now in my top favorites and I cannot recommend this movie enough! It may not be for everybody but you don't want to risk the chance of never finding out.

In Your Eyes is an excellent romantic comedy

Author: Argemaluco from Argentina
30 April 2014

In Your Eyes is an excellent romantic comedy with good performances, perfect direction and an ingenious premise which is well raised and developed. Fortunately, this movie counted with the presence of the great Joss Whedon as a screenwriter, executive producer and mastermind behind this movie's surprising debut and eventual direct digital distribution (through Vimeo), completely eliminating the influences and traditional processes of Hollywood's big studios. Whedon is experienced in this kind of shunting (let's remember the brilliant mini-series Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog), but it still is a very interesting market experiment which could inspire other filmmakers to do something similar. Well, Whedon isn't the first one to skip the "official" distributors; however, he might be the first famous producer who dared to do that; and of course, he can take that risk thanks to the legions of fans who will always support his projects. But, leaving all that aside, I liked In Your Eyes very much. Thanks to the solid performances and perfect direction, the screenplay flows with naturalness despite its unusual premise, and its fantasy tone never feels forced, and it doesn't require any complicated explanations in order to justify its existence; on the opposite, it immediately becomes an integral part of the story and contributes to the main characters' growth, with whom we share the mystery, curiosity and revelations of their mental (spiritual?) linking. That warm and comfortable dynamic is among the best elements from this movie. On the negative side, some elements from the screenplay in the last half hour feel a bit unnecessary. However, that's a minor fail, and it was a pleasure for me to explore a funny, emotive and unexpectedly fresh narrative in a genre which seemed exhausted and incapable of producing new mechanics for the romance. Michael Stahl-David and Zoe Kazan are completely credible in the leading roles, and director Brin Hill made an excellent work handling unusual situations while never losing the human axis of the story. In Your Eyes might depict a "long distance" relationship, but it's much more sincere and passionate than any romantic comedy based on cloying feelings and "big gestures". And besides, we can see it in any part of the world for five dollars. Will Whedon do the same with Avengers: Age of Ultron? Of course not, because it won't be his decision; but I would like to see someone trying this with a blockbuster.

Strong start, weak finish

Author: IAMVictoria from Canada
6 February 2015

Great premise. Great acting for the lead roles. I got caught up in the emotion early in the movie, and really enjoyed the pace and interactions between the main characters. At this point, the story had huge potential for an amazing finish. As the end of the movie approaches, Becky's controlling husband has forced her into a mental hospital. Dylan, greatly distressed at this, drops everything to go to her. This is where the movie went downhill. Dylan arrives in a NH airport, and is denied renting a car due to a lack of drivers license. Yet he spent the first half of the movie driving his truck around his home town. On that note, the quality and newness of this truck did not fit with his impoverished situation. So, he leaves the airport, and steals a car shortly thereafter. Now on the run in a stolen car, he encounters a police cruiser, which turns on the flashers. Dylan makes a break for it. Out of nowhere (classic), additional cruisers join the chase. He successfully loses them in a slow slog through a muddy/snowy auto wreckers yard (?), which was difficult to believe. Meanwhile, with Dylan's telepathic assistance, Becky breaks out of the mental hospital, with staff and her husband in hot pursuit. She makes a break for it to the nearby forest, as Dylan has done the same thing after losing the police. If there was a hint in the story how they got to the very same area in NH, it was lost on me. They both hear a train in the distance, and tell each other to run for it. They get to the tracks, see each other for the first time, climb into a slow-moving empty boxcar, and embrace as if everything will be OK now. Whaaa? She has her controlling husband chasing her. He, an ex-con, has the police chasing him for auto theft, failing to stop for police, and who know what else. For me, this was not a happy ending.

A sweet and unique romance that's not too sappy!

Author: Nicole of ArchonCinemaReviews.com from United States
21 September 2014

Joss Whedon's metaphysical love story In Your Eyes currently premiered exclusively at Tribeca Film Festival.

Originally written in 1992 by acclaimed sci-fi screenwriter Joss Whedon, In Your Eyes departs from his more common futuristic thematic and dazzles with a romantically dreamy tone.

The Tribeca Film Festival summarizes the film aptly as featured on the IMDb summary.

The successfulness of this film is ultimately reliant on two key aspects. Insanely wonderful acting facilitated by engaging but believable screen-written dialogue and not too insipidly sentimental directing.

Joss Whedon is known for his screen writing thoroughness; taking into consideration all character motivations, believability of behavior, and credibility of consequences. No matter what project type he undertakes he seems especially successful within the science fiction realm. Though In Your Eyes does have a mythical aspect to its plot it is a far more realistic and romance driven plot.

Immediately In Your Eyes clearly explains and simply establishes the psychic connection between the lead characters Rebecca and Dylan. From that point on every choice, every characteristic, and every subplot is a thoughtful and deliberate decision by Whedon so the film can develop plausibly. Further the dialogue is effortlessly convincing as the real speech between two strangers getting to know one another through this mystical connection.

A sincere love story progresses in In Your Eyes despite the characters never physically interacting. Whedon's smartly insightful dialogue facilitates the romance in the movie. Truly this is possible solely due to the superb and impressive acting by the perfectly cast Zoe Kazan and Michael Stahl-David. Zoe Kazan's Rebecca is charming and sweetly skittish, evolving as she opens up to Dylan. Dylan, played by Michael Stahl-David, is equally debonair in a rough-and-tumble kind of way and I am very excited to see how his career progresses after this promising performance.

I was completely engrossed by characters as they told their life stories, the weird moments in life explained by the other person and the amazing connection they develop. Though the ending is slightly commonplace, for a romantic film it is not nearly as sappy as the mainstream movies saturating the market.

Please check out our website for more full reviews of recent releases of all the blockbusters and indie films!

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]