IMDb > Hit and Run (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

Funny, Hunnies & Sexy Cars

Author: RONIQUE NICOLE (RONIQUE@FOODANDTHECITY.COM) from United States
30 August 2012

If I really paid attention to some stuffy movie critics I'd probably never see another movie in my life. Reviews riddled with technical jargon like screenplay this, and protagonist that bore me immensely when I just want to know, "will I regret paying $6-12 for the movie?".

With that being said let me tell you where I am coming from, the perspective of a good ole regular 30 year old black lady who watches more television then they should, and enjoys going to the movies at noon because at that time I don't have to worry about some jack ass propping their feet on the back of my chair. (and I can lay down across 3 seats).

Now to the task at hand, what did I think about Hit & Run? I thought is was a good movie, I was entertained and did not regret purchasing the movie ticket.

OK, Whats the Movie About?

Charlie is a self-named member of the witness protection program, hiding out in a small rural town where he enjoys a simple life of love, and days spent worrying over his buffoonish handler, Randy (Tom Arnold). Charlie's happy world begins to crack when Annie is offered a job developing her own curriculum at a university in Los Angeles – the home of Charlie's criminal past, and a lot of bad people who want to get even with him.

Trying to prove his love, Charlie dusts off his bad boy muscle car and scoops Annie for a high-speed run to her LA job interview. But when Annie's jealous ex-boyfriend Gil (Michael Rosenbaum) tries to undermine the happy exodus, he unwittingly brings down all the wrong kind of heat on the situation. Before long, Charlie and Annie's road trip is a high-speed chase, complete with shootouts, buried treasure, and…a dune buggy.

Dax Shepard is funny to me, and so is Kristen Bell. The fact that Dax and Kristen are a couple made their characters Charlie and Annie in the movie have a charming chemistry that you can only get by smashing (having sex) in real life.

Being a lover of classic cars just seeing that classic Lincoln rev around spoke to my soul.

Dax wore rugged, outlaw, bad-ass with a gentle side, pretty well. So well that he transcended from this lanky quirky white guy, to "hey, how you doin". Also, This movie just made it official that it's impossible for Bradley Cooper to be unattractive, even with a dredlock wig, and some played out Oakley's, we was still looking' good.

Yada yada yada yada...blah blah blah blah.... I like the movie.

Great fun!

Author: ijskoman from Netherlands
14 August 2012

Not that many ratings yet, but how can this movie have a 6.1?? Serious? I saw it in the sneak preview yesterday and had some great laughs, certain parts are hilarious. Best of all, didn't knew anything about this movie, so wasn't expecting anything... Turned out to be one of my better movies this year so far! Some titles are hyped, like Batman The Dark Knight Rises, and although I enjoyed it, this movie messed up my emotions way more!The acting of the whole cast suits the flow and spirit of this movie perfectly. Furthermore, I think Dax Shepard did an outstanding job being both the director, writer and main character. Must see!

Dax, Please write/direct another movie

Author: chromewaves354 from Los Angeles
28 August 2012

I've never reviewed a movie before but had to for Hit & Run. My wife and I feel like we just got home from a perfect first date. This is just a feel good movie that leaves you feeling great hours after watching it. Armed with only $2 million and some friends, Dax created the perfect movie experience: non stop laughing, edge of your seat fun, hot car chase scenes, great music, perfect casting, style and swagger, all wrapped up in a watchable story.

Dax, please write/direct/star in another movie soon...Hollywood needs to learn that talent trumps big budget any day of the week. And please email me your ipod playlist!!!

A fun ride !

Author: skitsophonics from United Kingdom
30 December 2012

I don't often write reviews so I'll keep this short. I watched this expecting nothing more than something to waste a couple of hours.It ended up being a real fun couple of hours though. Clever script work..great character chemistry & fantastic musical score.I watched this with my wife who is very hard to please and she was also pleasantly surprised. I'm not saying this should win any awards but I am saying for those of you who don't take every film you watch too seriously .. it's a pretty cool little movie . Dax Shepard should give himself a pat on the back for this.For a movie with a small budget it manages to assemble a great cast and give more bang for your buck than many big studios deliver.

One of the Best Movies of the Year

Author: deltajvliet from United States
1 September 2012

This is a creative, original, funny, and action packed story, a wonderful example of independent filmmaking. Dax Shepard was able to get away with a $2 million budget by recruiting friends like Bradley Cooper and (real life GF) Kristen Bell to act. The other main characters, the cars, were largely his own.

The film has a True Romance feel, only infused into a chase movie. The action set-pieces are fantastic. Simple, beautiful, effective. Slow motion burnouts, lovingly filmed, fish tails, even one or two stunt jumps. And I'm 99% sure there was no CGI at any point. Just good old fashioned fast cars going fast. Seriously. Think of the last 10 minutes of Death Proof extended to half a movie.

I didn't know Shepard before this, but he's a funny guy. In his writing, in his content, in his delivery. At one point a redneck onlooker struts up to his prized Lincoln Continental and asks if it has nitrous. Dax's character Charlie matter of factly tells him, "Nitrous is for fags. This has cubic inches," then drives away. But it's more than just dialogue. Like when a wannabe tough guy bottoms out his Pontiac Solstice leaving the driveway. Sometimes it's the subtle things.

The movie got no marketing, and hardly anyone knows it's even in theaters. Too bad. This is a hidden gem, required viewing for fans of chase movies.

Quirky dumb and excessive actually becomes almost endearing and fun by the end

Author: Robert W. (Robert_duder@hotmail.com) from Ontario, Canada
9 January 2013

Prior to watching Hit and Run, the trailers actually looked pretty darn good. I enjoy Dax Shepard since watching him on Parenthood and it looked fun. Then I had someone tell me how completely awful it was so my expectations were lowered. The final opinion once I saw it was...you know, that wasn't too bad at all. The pacing of the film was excellent even with the excessive and seemingly silly constant car chases, the romance was fun, the action was good and the story was typical and yet worked really well. I have no doubt that Dax Shepard wrote this out of a love for cars and car chases and watching Fast and The Furious. A lot of this felt like Fast and The Furious: The Comedy. The bad language was excessively forced at you, the fancy high end cars were everywhere, and the way they found various ways to switch cars actually sort of worked but it was obvious it was to flash more cars at you. The cast was good, the chemistry between our leads was very good. I think their real life romance helped their on screen characters a lot because they are so off beat together and yet they fit together so well. The dialogue in the film (aside from the constant barrage of cursing) is actually very well done and the movie is fun. It won't blow you away but its a fun and entertaining ride.

Dax Shepard played a lot of duties on this film. He wrote, co-directed and starred in the movie and it was pretty good. His acting performance is what you might expect from him but he holds his own as the anti-hero and he's fun to watch. His real life girlfriend/fiancé Kristen Bell is fun and they play off of each other really well. She's beautiful of course but she does manage to have a down to earth quality about her that really worked for this movie. Their banter and dialogue is really good and I think their chemistry is what makes this even more watchable. Tom Arnold is back as the loud, obnoxious and downright stupid sidekick that he does so well. He is also responsible for so much of the cursing in the movie. Cursing doesn't bother me per se but when its so gratuitous that you lose aspects of the film then its too much. Arnold does his role well enough that he is born to play. Michael Rosenbaum is terrific as Bell's ex-boyfriend Gil. He is certainly there for the slapstick comedy but he does it well and it was a pleasure watching him do it. For all the hype I heard about Bradley Cooper's role (even the front of the box proclaims "Bradley Cooper is hilarious.") I'm not sure I saw the hilarity aspect. He was okay as the villain, a little overplayed at times but he was decent. He definitely didn't steal the show or anything. Supporting cast members include a memorable cameo from Kristin Chenoweth and the incomparable Beau Bridges.

I actually think if Dax Shepard had turned his script over to someone with a little more experience to fine tune it and a more seasoned director that this film would have been really actually top notch. Instead at times it feels like an amateur entry. That doesn't make it bad by any means but less than what could have been. I still think people looking for a decent action comedy with a dash of "buddy cop" feel to it will enjoy this one. Don't let your expectations become unrealistic but if you go in knowing what you're in for then you'll at least be entertained for an hour and a half and that is what is important. Average? Yes. But decent all around. 7/10

A different comedy

Author: Gordon-11 from Earth
31 December 2012

This film is about a woman who has to go to Los Angeles for an interview. She runs into all sorts of trouble along the drive by her boyfriend.

"Hit and Run" is a comedy that combines comedy, some action and lots of cars. The prevailing mood of the film is very lighthearted, and the on screen couple is convincing. I can see how Charlie really cares for Annie with his dedication to taking Annie to her job interview. The incompetent cop is funny, and Bradley Cooper's thug character is funny as well. I am impressed by how, in the middle of all the mess, the directors still manage to throw in subplots about anti-homophobia and political correctness. I am also impressed by how many gay subplots get mingled in a movie with cool car swerves. "Hit and Run" is a comedy that is relatively different compared with the rest.

Not a hit, so run...

Author: Tony Bush from United Kingdom
25 December 2012

Loutish, unfunny and relatively tedious comedy thriller that is devoid of both comedy and thrills. You won't laugh, you won't smile and you probably will not ever be on the edge of your seat. It is relentlessly thick-eared, flat and monotone. The cast are tedious and plastic, lacking anything approaching personality and depth. The chases are bland, uninvolving and unspectacular and the plot is little more than a clichéd drone of cobbled together circumstances.

A dumb ex wheel-man in witness protection is supported by his dumb federal marshal and his dumb (though supposed to be intelligent) girlfriend. When dumb girlfriend gets a job as some sort of high-flying professor (yeah, I know, beggars belief) in LA dumb ex wheel-man decides to quit witness protection and drive her there in his tricked-out getaway car. Girlfriend's dumb ex-boyfriend rats dumb ex wheel-man out to his dumb ex partners in crime and they are on his tail to get revenge. Throw in a dumb gay traffic cop and his dumb female partner and have them all drive and cavort around on a dumb road trip to a dumb conclusion that includes a guest appearance by Beau Bridges as dumb ex wheel-man's dumb father and what you have ultimately is a movie that epitomises the concept of dumb.

Is there anything redeeming about it? Uh, no, not really. It's just...you've guessed it...dumb. Not a hit, so run.

At least they had fun

Author: SnoopyStyle
29 August 2013

Dax Shepard is former getaway driver Charlie Bronson in Witness Protection. However, he leaves it all to help his girlfriend (Kristen Bell) get to Los Angeles. This leaves the feds and Charlie's former gang in hot pursuit.

The plot is almost unimportant. It's just an excuse for Dax to have some fun with his car. Dax and Kristen seem to have a lot of fun. That chemistry saves this mess. Tom Arnold is incredibly annoying. There's also Michael Rosenbaum and Bradley Cooper plus many many other characters.

There was one funny scene of hilarious talk of prison rape worthy of a Tarantino script. Other than that, you'd have to really love cars or Dax driving the cars.

Snappy Dialogue & Cool Cars: Dax Shepard Delivers a Winner!

Author: AudioFileZ from United States
6 March 2013

This movie flew under my radar, but then I wasn't clued into to Dax Shepard either. "Hit and Run", written and staring Shepard as Charlie Bronson, delivers solid entertainment as is continues to build momentum. Charlie is in the witness protection program and has settled into a low-key pastoral life in the hinterlands. Completing his morphing into a decent regular guy is his girlfriend Annie, played by Dax's real life paramour the equally talented Kristen Bell. As part of his enrollment into witness protection Charlie is shadowed, and on a rare good day protected, by U.S. Marshall Randy Anderson as portrayed surprisingly effectively by Tom Arnold. Add Annie's ex Gil as well as Dax's revenge seeking accomplices Alex Dimitri (Bradley Cooper stretching his legs in this excellent supporting character role like you've never imagined him) and combination ex-fiancé crime partner Neve. From this "stew" of bent characters a nice little ensemble comes together in a blitz of low-key, but hilarious, dialogue to deliver a rare smart and entertaining comedy. To say I was surprised is an understatement since I had never heard of it prior to seeing it.

This is the set-up which evolves at a perfect pace into a chase movie with a heart (its a rom-com somewhere nested within) as Charlie gives up his protected life so Annie can move to Los Angeles and pursue her goal of post-grad teaching. Of course the brilliance lies in the surmounting of seemingly endless obstacles Charlie's past births along the road. The characters are uniformly excellent, even Tom Arnold delivers what is unquestionably his best role since True Lies. There are compact and nice cameos also by Beau Bridges and Jason Bateman which add some "pop" too. All around a great small-budget comedy that proves smart writing with the right cast can trounce many big-budget blockbusters. Well done and recommended, especially if you like cool cars, a crème de le crème soundtrack, and a decidedly silly love story with some meaty action as well.

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]