IMDb > Nous York (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Nous York More at IMDbPro »

Mou York (screen)

Author: leplatypus from PariS
11 November 2012

This movie left me hungry for more.

It begins with a very innovative credits (it's not often than French can teach American how to shoot their iconic city!) but it nearly falls after the line.

First, I expected a sequel from "Tout ce qui brille" and it took me more than ten minutes to understand it wasn't even if three members of the original cast was there in nearly identical characters! After coming back from being lost, the movie becomes dull because it was a collage of leisure moments in the big apple: that is to say no dialog, loud (but good) songs, failed fun moments. As the trio wander aimlessly and without money in NYC, the audience can only watch aimlessly and can't get even a decent tour! Fortunately, they live in amazing expensive flats that have great sight on NYC skylines!

At last, the girls are interesting, especially Geraldine who is totally convincing in helping old people. Marthe Villalonga at 80 is exceptional: she seems to have live everything and thus share wisdom with the young. She can even play her death, which is far courageous! As for Leila, she isn't very likable as she intends to make her job more important than friends or family. Sienna Miller has a good cameo and i think that she's exactly this diva in real life!

As in the previous movie, this young generation is a bit desperate and have their dreams crushed by a grim reality and I like the way this nostalgia and failure infuse the movie. The final departure doesn't really close well the movie but the ending credits have again a good song and original credits!

(NB: another thing that disturbed me watching the movie was that I don't feel a deep connection between Geraldine and Manu. Between real husband and wife, there's always something that happen on screen. Here, nothing. It's later that I learn that Manu has wanted to split! Man, when you can marry such a woman, you make effort to last it a lifetime!)