IMDb > Assassin's Creed (2016) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 29:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Thoroughly enjoyed it!

Author: Danielle
21 December 2016

There is a reason I don't pay attention to reviewers before seeing a movie; seems most of them have lost the ability to view a movie without preconceived notions. Too much over-analyzing. Very little of what is put out these days is in any way realistic. I'm not looking for realistic when I go see a movie; I'm looking for an escape from the daily grind. I'm not a gamer and decided to see the movie since I'm familiar with Michael Fassbender and I like his work. I chose to see the 3D version, which I rarely do, and am glad I did. It was a thoroughly enjoyable movie! Kudos to Damien Walters for the stunt work--great to watch.

I enjoyed this movie and I don't play video games

Author: kyltinlo from Calgary
21 December 2016

I watched this movie with apprehension because of the bad reviews by critics. But I did enjoy the movie and I don't even play video games. And the reasons why I liked this movie is because: 1. Action scenes and chase scenes are very good and fast paced. 2. Acting by the cast was superb - Fassbender, Cotillard and co. 3. Visual effects are good.

Now, for the critic's beef - 1. The story line was bad? No, it is not. It is comprehensible and with intelligent ideas and uses characters from history. 2. It is boring? This coming from people who think "Manchester by the Sea" is exciting.

Assassins Creed is not comparable to and way better than Warcraft. But it looks like the critics have just lumped all video game adaptations as bad, perhaps because they don't like this genre.

Critics vs Gamer

Author: abelgg2 from United States
22 December 2016

I'm going to come out and say it, the critics are right, but there is a big but here. If you have played this game, you are going to truly enjoy it. The big problem that I think is not going to brake the video game curse is the fact that it isn't possible to cover the whole story in such a short amount of time and appeal to critics and people who haven't played the game and never will while satisfying gamers in a way that won't scare them away from the video game itself. So if I'm talking right now to a gamer, I would say that this movie has it all, but if I'm not, you will probably dislike the movie or simply just enjoy it as a C grade movie that got you entertained for two hours and you'll forget about it in a few more.

Now that's out of the way here is my fan review. The parkour, the animus, the outfits, the scenes and the story was all an amazing representation of Assassin's Creed. It made justice to the game completely. If you are a fan of the games, you'll truly enjoy this film to its fullest potential. Lastly, Fassbender's performance was amazing and the assassin girl was crazy good. "Nothing it's true, everything is permitted." Cons: one eagle flying scene could have been enough and the last shot was cheesy, but other than that I loved this film for the same reason I love the videogames.

All in all pretty good

Author: Niko Haikola from Finland
21 December 2016

Assassins Creed is by no means perfect, but I did enjoy it. The film has the classic setting from Assassins Creed games, a modern day protagonist enters the Animus to relive the memories of his ancestor. The film does a pretty good job explaining the series mythos to those unfamiliar with the games. Sadly, we don't spend as much time with the ancestor Aquilar as we do with the present day Cal, and Aquilar feels under developed as a character. The movie also felt a bit short. It really could have benefited from a longer run time, to give more character development to the ancestors, and explain some of the characters motivations better. The action in this movie is great, the story is solid, and the characters (that are properly developed) are interesting. Both Fassbender and Irons play their roles well. Overall a decent movie any Assassins Creed fan would enjoy. The critics like to bash it because it's a video game movie, and it's cool to hate video game movies, but it's not bad at all. 8/10

Saw an early screening and was not disappointed.

Author: Louie Charnock from United States
17 December 2016

So we all know the trend of video game movies being terrible. Well, I'm happy to say Assassin's Creed BROKE that trend! Really quick one thing to point out is that people complained that the movie was giving a PG-13 rating. This is probably one of the most brutal PG-13 movies I've seen in terms of violence. It was like they were going for an R rating then at the last minute the studio was like, "You know what. Just cut out the blood." Which honestly if that's how it went I wouldn't be surprised. The choreography is fantastic and some blood is even shown. Michael Fassbender as Aguilar was a great casting choice. His character was well written and I felt a sadness for him (You'll know when you watch the movie) All in all a great performance! Now is the movie perfect... No. Of course not. Every movie has it's flaws. Some may say the CGI is over used (Which I thought it wasn't) some may hate the physics (But it worked for the movie) Again, little nit picks people are going to say just because they can't have fun watching a movie! Let me leave you with this. I had a blast watching this film and I highly recommend it to even people who haven't played the game. 10/10 fantastic movie to end 2016 on!

Don't listen to the haters/critics!

Author: Mitch Sierra (sier0039@umn.edu) from Minnesota, USA
22 December 2016

Following a somewhat parallel story to the original game, I do wish they would've stuck with original characters. Despite that, the film remains a fun and intriguing watch. The change of the Animus from a bed-like system to the VR style arm was something I originally disliked, but that change ends up playing well into the film visually and aids in parts of the story. The action scenes are well choreographed and exciting, countered with what may be a few too many close up facial expressions and dialogue that might easily confuse someone less familiar with the base plot of the franchise. As far as movie adaptations of video games, this is a far better rendition than many other attempts. As a standalone film it needs some work. But I know they intended to produce a trilogy so I'd like to believe the opportunity to release sequels will give the audience more of what they're looking for, while this movie may have been a bit too much set up rather than development. Personally I generously offer it 7/10, and would recommend seeing it. I hope it is successful enough for them to finish the intended trilogy.

We Work in the Dark to Serve the Light

Author: Thomas Drufke
21 December 2016

Besides a few yearly sports titles, I don't find myself enamored with any single video game series. That is, besides the Assassin's Creed games. The film definitely captured the game's tone, even if it sometimes makes frustrating plot choices.

I'm not willing to say Assassin's Creed breaks the video game-movie "curse" if you will, but it may be the best adaptation in years. Of course, that's not saying a whole lot, and there's still so much room for improvement. Where many films these days have way too many exposition-heavy scenes, Assassin's Creed needed a few more. If you haven't played any of the games or are not familiar with the lore, there will be more than one time you'll be saying (in the words of Callum Lynch) "what the f*ck is going on."

And frustrating or not, this story isn't necessarily structured like the games. The games are roughly 75% past and 25% present day balanced. But the film flips that into 60% present and 40% past. I'm not sure if it was budgetary reasons or the filmmakers just didn't think 15th Century Spain would be interesting to viewers, but this isn't a film about that particular time-frame. For better or worse, this is Callum Lynch's story. If that's the reason you'll dislike the movie than that's fine, but I'm not sure what the film chose not to set focus on would be the reason I would tear it apart for. Instead, the film is at its weakest when the present-day plot takes itself too seriously or you just don't fully understand certain character's motivations (i.e. Marion Cotillard).

To me, however, because of how much this film encapsulated the feeling of the video game, I thoroughly enjoyed my time at the movies. Although used sparingly, Aguilar (Lynch's ancestor in 15th Century Spain), is awesome. I would have liked some more development between him and Maria, a fellow assassin, but the action they took part in is some of the most thrilling this year. If this film makes money, I sure hope the filmmakers decide to cut down on the shadowy and smoke filled action, because when you can see fighting clearly, is when the film succeeds the most.

I can't deny that this film can be pretty confusing, especially to a casual film-goer, but if you're a fan of the game I can't see you walking away disappointed overall. There are certainly some things that need fixing, but if Fox takes a leap of faith (ha, see what I did there), this could be quite the franchise.

+When the film focuses on the past

+Fassbender

+Action replicates the game's aesthetic

-Needed some more exposition

-Some characters are underwritten

8.0/10

Assassin's Creed: A Movie Worth Watching

Author: ncoddo from Bollingbrook, Illinois
21 December 2016

Despite critic reviews and reports expressing their concern on yet another video game spin-off attempt, I decided to still go view the movie on its first showing. I can honestly say that not seeing this movie in theater would be a mistake. The action sequences combined with excellent cinematography and special effects allowed for a thrilling ride from both the present-day Cal Lynch to the Inquisition-Animus Aguilar segments present in the film. Being that I have previously played many of the Assassin's Creed video games, the plot proved easy to follow, flowing from one concept to the next easily.

For those who have no background on the franchise, any confusion that might result from the movie's plot can be cleared up by a quick brush-up on the story-line of the Assassin's Creed games. This possible confusion that might result due to a viewer's inexperience with the story-line is the only reason this movie does not merit a 10/10 review. A word of advice that might help to clear up confusion centers of the Animus. The purpose is not to alter the past, but rather observe it through the eyes of an ancestor in order to pick up on clues and hints which could aid in present-day tasks. The task that Sofia (Marion Cotillard)is attempting to complete is the discovery of the Apple of Eden--basically a very important artifact desired by both the Templars and Assassins. Thus, the Animus sequences that appear to lack much background or a concrete plot are intentional due to the fact that only the sequences hinting or involving the Apple are viewed. If the entire life of Aguilar (Michael Fassbender) was necessary to finding the Apple, the movie might as well have just been about him.

Nevertheless, anyone who is already familiar or is willing to take 30 seconds to familiarize themselves with the Assassin's Creed story will watch an excellent film--surpassing most of the recent releases this year.

Why are the critics so unfairly harsh?

Author: melissa juthridge from Los Angeles
4 January 2017

This is, by far, the best video game adaptation I have ever seen. I do not understand why the critics have been putting down this movie with such violence... Is it because they want to make the filmmakers pay for the fact that they chose high-caliber talent instead of goofy actors and an 'obvious' choice of director? Is it because the producers decided to go with a indie film director whose vision they believed in? I think the music is amazing (bravo to Justin Kurzel's brother) and the visuals are extraordinary. All the actors did a fantastic job in this movie. This is unlike any video game movie I have ever seen, and will go down in my book as the best adaptation out there today.

If you're an AC fan you will love this movie.

Author: megazeroxuxz from California
21 December 2016

This movie is more of an homage to the game. The writing is similar, the plot is similar, and all the action are great and well done. The movie did a great job at recalling all the great moments in the AC series, and retrofitting them into this new plot. If you have played all the games, then this movie is perfect, it doesn't go into detail about the creed or the templars, you will have to fill in the blanks on your own. Some scenes are very powerful if you understand the back story and things that happened in the game and connect the reference. Basically this movie is a huge ester egg from the games. A bunch of references,and all in all it was fun watching it with a friend and pointing out which scenes were inspired by which game in the series. For example the ending is like a big ass homage to the original game trailer, the thing that started it all. Also if you are a veteran of the games, you wouldn't want to sit through the whole Templar vs assassin's and their creed explained for the fifth time anyways, this movie cut to the meat of the games, and I was glad that they did like this, not a lot of video games adaptation are bold enough to skip very key plot points. This movie is catered heavily on the true AC fans, I am for once am extremely happy I bought a movie ticket full price to go and support this production. It did not let me down and I am extremely proud of the cast and crew for their work on this movie.

Page 1 of 29:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]