IMDb > "Da Vinci's Demons" (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Da Vinci's Demons"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Da Vinci's Demons" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Do not listen to the negative banter

Author: VesicaP from United States
19 April 2013

You will hear all sorts of things: historically inaccurate, amateurish acting, disgraceful to da Vinci, bitch-and-moan etc.

Do not listen to these people. This new series has many things working for it. Yes, the haircuts are always perfect, and their teeth are nice and white...if you can get over this common theatricality then you are in for an exciting new show. It is well written with promises of refreshing adventure to come.

IMDb has become a battleground for swaying mass opinion away from controversial truths. Do not let the negative reviews sway you from what will be a fun, intelligent series.

After watching the second episode, I am VERY excited for the next episode. This is the best Adventure series on TV.

Great start to a series

Author: fbi_max from United Kingdom
20 April 2013

I thought the show was great and fun to watch. Those people that try to compare this to actual factual events in Da Vinci's life should maybe stop for a moment and realise this is not a DOCUMENTARY and does not pretend to be either, therefore it is not required to follow his every day life chores of the man. I mean how BORING would the series be then, hence why documentaries are produced. Don't like it? go read a book, personally I look forward to. I wouldn't say it is a 10, but i'm going to give it a 10 because of the pathetic scores some unimaginative people have scored it, as it does not deserve such arrogant scores of 1 or 2.

Excellent Show for strictly entertainment

Author: Joe Adems
27 April 2013

I think this show was done very well, and I normally don't leave reviews on shows. BUT seeing how many negative comments it got kinda annoyed me. Reason being is this show is not a discovery channel special on De Vinci's life. It's clearly a fantasized presentation of his life. I think it's unfair to the writers, producers, actors and everyone else who partook in creating this show to be brought down like this because it wasn't historically accurate. It never claimed to be, and if that's what people think they're getting when starting this series, they should think again and maybe picking up a book instead. For all those who are looking for an interesting, and fresh show to get into I'd definitely recommend it. Though if you're gonna get into this show with a mindset of being a hardcore critique then you should just move on to something else.

Enjoyable pilot of a very promising and fun show.

Author: shashankgarg245 from India
17 April 2013

I read some of the reviews of this show on IMDb and i have to say i wasn't pleased. I don't get why people didn't like the pilot episode. I mean shows like arrow and spartacus have a rating of 8.7 whereas this show only got a mere 8. To me the pilot seemed pretty good. The lead character had enough depth in him to make him likable. His mysterious past, quick witty answers and knack for getting into troubles will make the show even more enjoyable as it progresses. What I loved about the show was the background music which is one of the best I've heard on TV. I also liked how they created florence considering its budget it seemed a decent job. For those who are complaining about historical inaccuracies then let me tell you most of the shows on TV are historically inaccurate eg. spartacus. If you want historical accuracy you can turn to documentaries, there are dozen available on da vinci.and for those of you who can't see him in a sword fight why can't a genius, who can work with both of his hands can't be a swordsman. i mean if sherlock can beat the hell out of everyone in a fist fight(in the movie) why can't da vinci fight. In short it seems like a promising show with secret socities, conspiracies and many twists to come and i'm looking forward to the next episode

Stunning fantasy based upon a brilliant man

Author: hansvanderzee from Belgium
14 April 2013

First of all, I would like tot say that Starz did a magnificent job creating a fantasy series (which is essentially what it is. Nowhere is actually claimed that this is supposedly a historically accurate retelling of Da Vinci's life) based upon the life of one greatest men to live. Now, while it isn't even close to the actual historical Da Vinci, it doesn't mean that you should write off this series as drab. On the contrary, there is nothing wrong with basing yourself off history and build your own story around that. If you want historical accuracy, please go watch a bloody documentary. If you go into this series expecting a history lesson (and then complain about the fact that it isn't), you might as well walk around with a sign reading "I am an imbecile". It is classified and described under the genre "historical fantasy" for a reason. Further more The setting and the costume works is absolutely beautiful, showing Florence's extravagance in an exaggerated manner. The CGI, just like Starz' previous series, Spartacus, was in some places quite jarring to say the least. A good example of that would be the helicopter shot near the beginning where guards are marching across a courtyard. But that is negligible in my personal opinion. While I do like the more extravagant, arrogant Da Vinci, none the less I find his performance sub par in certain scenes. Especially those where he is acting out a scene of pain, or fear. It isn't convincing enough, it is once again far too exaggerated. But then again, that seems to be the entire theme of this series. The mythological elements worked into the series is interesting to me, it adds a magical aura to the storyline, to the point where it is the the stereotypical thing of "You are destined, fate has chosen you.", which doesn't make it bad, but it isn't original either. I'm looking forward to where this series is heading. It has some great potential. Although it is quite sad that people are clenching their behinds so hard because it isn't a documentary, considering the series is listed as a historical FANTASY. Learn to read, then think, then form your opinion, then share it.

Highly Entertaining Show!

Author: RoswellAlien from United States
4 February 2014

This show defiantly brings something new to the plate. With a highly entertaining story that leaves you wanting more by the end of the episode. The dialogue was written really well. The actors do a stupendous job every episode bringing there characters to life. The cinematography is done extremely well with some extremely beautiful shots. The production value of course is high quality of course that's what you can expect from a premium channel. Locations were fantastic in the first season like it really stood out to me. Personally I highly recommend this show. The first season was brilliant besides some people saying that it is inaccurate. I personally don't know if it was going for being accurate but I enjoyed it in the end. I look forward to seeing the 2nd season! Brilliant! 10/10

Give it a try

Author: Someone Maybe from United Arab Emirates
27 April 2013

To be honest, I think this show is fascinating. There are bunch of beautiful graphics, action sequences, adventures, thriller etc.. which blow your mind.

This is truly an amazing show and gives the audience the entertainment factor that they deserve not the historic side of Leonardo Da Vinci.

the only problem in my opinion is the pronouncement of the names. it is more of an English accent than an Italian which doesn't justify the beauty of the name. this the only annoying thing in the series so far, however we can use to it as the show goes on.

my true advice, give it a try. you will not regret it. you want an entertainment you got it.

Fantastic

Author: pinpo12 from United States
12 April 2013

I must say I have been looking forward to this show since I first laid eyes on the trailer. The acting is superb, the dialog is very well written, the setting is both beautiful yet can seem to have a darkness about it. I enjoyed every minute of it with Da Vinci's quick wit to the manipulation between characters. Though some parts did seem to move quite fast giving the thought "Where the hell did that come from and why so soon?" The only thing I can say could be better is the graphics, I know it's a television show and recreating an entire historic city would prove costly however a bit of love put into it could have make it seem less...cartoon perhaps. None the less it is a small detail in the grand scheme of things. I highly recommend watching this show there will be more greatness to come I am sure.

Set your brains to zero

Author: ripe_51 from Finland
29 April 2013

Da Vinci's demons isn't too bad, as long as you're willing to accept that it's in the fantasy genre.

The series is about a historical figure made by people who never opened a history book, if you can deal with that then you probably will enjoy it to an extent. When I say to an extent, I mean it's not a brilliant show (the acting, the plot.. and what especially disturbs me is the supernatural aspect of it which is just not suitable for a series like this), it tries to convince you that it is intelligent but in fact is far from it.

But as I said before, as long as you're willing to ignore any links to reality and history, it is watchable.

Another interesting TV series!

Author: adambbq from Poland
20 April 2013

When I watched the trailer of "Da Vinci's Demons" I knew that this title will provide us with a lot of entertainment and action, but only a few historical facts. After watching the first episodes I can confirm this opinion. People searching for the real historical events from the biography of Leonardo certainly will be disappointed. However, those who like me are looking for a breath of freshness and ingenuity consider this TV series to be very successful. First of all, we have the opportunity to see the extraordinary genius inventions come to life and I have to admit that they do so in spectacular way. The story has been enriched by the threads of intrigue and romance that give the history extra flavor. Those critical of this form I refer to historical films, but fans of entertainment at a good level, I encourage to familiarize yourself with this title. Acting is on a really decent level, sound and video as well. Therefore, if anyone is interested in alternative history of Leonardo da Vinci, which is very colorful and creative, or just looking for good entertainment will find this series to be extremely successful.

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]