IMDb > Hours (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Hours

Hours More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Should not have a such a low rating; this film is great.

Author: casiosx from United Kingdom
15 November 2013

This film in a sentence: What a father will do to keep his premature daughter alive, when the world is falling down around him.

Why this film isn't receiving a better rating I won't know. This is the best acting from Paul Walker I think anyone will have seen. Just watch it (especially if you thought 'The Impossible' was a great piece of film)

One of the core roles a man feels he needs to provide for his family is protection and to provide; this film shows this by putting Nolan (Walker) in scenarios where you feel his struggle to keep the only thing he has safe.

Walker's fine and desperate hours

Author: videorama-759-859391 from adelaide, australia
9 November 2013

I've just seen this movie and I'm glad I did. After previewing it a couple of months back, alongside Walker's other vehicle, Vehicle 19, I wondered what had happened to it. Here's an intriguing premise, played around or against a real catastrophic disaster, that being Hurricane Katrina, though this is not the first film based around that, remember Bad Lieutenant Cage remake, but we've gone onto a totally different track of story. Here Walker, very good, showing his capabilities as an actor if given the right material, is forced to stay back at an evacuated hospital, to look after his infant daughter, after Katrina strikes. It's not very long before the whole power goes out, and he has to solely rely on a generator to keep her daughter alive, where after every six minutes, the numbers will drop if he stops winding the control. You should see how many times he runs back and forth down to the power supply room, half flooded by the way. Certain obstacles and incidents, later thwart his quest, including some real unsavory heartless sons of bitches. Hours works so well for many reasons, one being Walker's realistic and engaging performance, probably one of his best. Apart from Katrina, he has to deal with a much greater tragedy, as having just lost his wife, Abigail (another hottie of course) who died in labor, apparently stress related, so Walker's not having the best of days. We see some of their earlier time spent together in a sufficient number of heartwarming, sexy, and inspiring flashbacks. Too what I liked, was how Walker spent a lot of time, ranting to his newborn, which in the early stages, I admit got a little annoying, but then it became quite interesting as god knows what s..t he was gonna pour out next. Another thing that was annoying, was his watch sounding off after every six minutes, but you gotta do what you gotta to do. What would you do? This is one of those movies that poses that question. I was quite impressed by Walker, as he had some really powerfully dramatic acting moments. Hopefully he can improve on this which next each film. Highly recommended drama of inspiration and hope.

Paul Walker was excellent in his role

Author: badttboy from United States
2 December 2013

I watched this movie weeks before Paul Walker had passed and thoroughly enjoyed it. I must admit I've always been a fan of his. Yet I can indisputably say without being biased, that he played this role with excellence.

OK, so the move was not a fast paced action or romantic, date flick, but it was a well written realistic Drama / Thriller.

While the ending may have been somewhat predictable. The rest of the film with it's characters and plots certainly was not. You will find quite a few surprises.

I am sure it will do well if/when it's released in theaters around the world. What a great way to pay tribute to him by releasing it to as many screens as they can. At least I really hope they do. If you can't go to see it. I'd say it's worth renting anyway.

Just how far would a father go for their child?

Author: nas quazimodo from London
1 December 2013

This film amazed me as I am not normally into this genre. I went in not expecting anything really but by the end I was captivated and really cheering Walker on.

Paul Walker does an amazing job and he made the film for me, his emotion and grit shone through. By the end I found myself emotionally attached to the story and really immersed in the story.

The Film is set during Hurricane Katrina, but this is not a politically motivated or typical Hollywood portrayal. This is a survival story above all and I applaud Paul Walker in his role.

RIP my friend.

Fitting Final Showcase for Paul Walker, the Actor

Author: 3xHCCH from Quezon City, Philippines
4 December 2013

I will admit that I would probably not watched this movie if Paul Walker had not tragically passed away last Sunday. Prior to this, I only knew about Walker from the "Fast and Furious" films. This quiet little film certainly introduced me to a whole new and better Paul Walker.

"Hours" is about Nolan Hayes. His wife Abby was rushed into a hospital because of premature labor minutes before Hurricane Katrina hit their city. Difficulties pile up on Nolan as the hospital is evacuated, but he could not leave because his newborn daughter is hooked on a ventilator while in an incubator. Nolan had to deal the power outage, malfunctioning battery, food shortage, violent looters, and abject loneliness as he is trapped in desperate isolation.

The production values of this film are obviously low budget and the supporting cast may be mediocre. But there is no denying "Hours" is an incredible one-man show for Paul Walker, the actor. Very few actors have attempted this sort of project where basically there is only one character. Tom Hanks did it in "Cast Away" and Sandra Bullock did it in "Gravity", and now this project for Paul Walker.

I have to say that Walker surpassed my expectations and actually pulled it off very well with a very memorable performance. You can feel his frustration and his desperation as the hours pass hopelessly and endlessly. The tears that rolled down his face all look like they came from very deep emotions welling within him. The final scene was a thing of absolute beauty which alone elevates the entire film to a higher level.

With this film, we will see the breadth and depth of Walker's true acting talent, now lost in that horrific car crash. Fortunately, he was still able to release this one special film to forever remind us of his abilities which we will now be missing.

Paul Walker gives an outstanding and honest performance

Author: faithisagoodthing from United Kingdom
15 December 2013

I recently watched the brilliant Hours, and to say the great Paul Walker nailed this role is an understatement.

What an honest and sincere portrayal of a desperate grieving father (Nolan Hayes) and the horrors of trying everything possible to ensure that his new born baby daughter (Abigail) survives, whilst on a ventilator machine in a hospital.

It's simply just heart-breaking to watch and again, what a performance by Walker.

All this includes the backdrop of Hurricane Katrina's devastation to add to the tension of this awesome movie. The multiple flashbacks works extremely well to tell the back-story of Nolan's life and it reminded me of movies like 127 Hours.

I have noticed that some critics and fans have complained that the movie is either too long or has some plot holes. I just kept on thinking, the movie although it has a very simple story, covered what it needed too realistically and I didn't personally find any plot holes; plus the time-frame was just perfect.

What a great shame that Paul Walker died recently, because although greatly missed, he should rightly so, be very proud of this movie (and many others that he had done previously), and had so much more to offer as a great actor.

I urge everyone to see this movie as soon as possible - whatever the format for Walker's performance but also, the movie as a whole is genuinely great. Paul Walker for sure will be missed.

A must watch movie for the fans.

Author: troy-manatunga from United Arab Emirates
11 December 2013

It is a feeling I have not experienced before. This feeling of reviewing a movie of an actor who has been one of my favorites and knowing that this is one his last productions his fans would ever have the privilege of enjoying. If you are a fan of the late star Paul Walker indeed HOURS is a must watch and what's more it's a setting that we are not accustomed to seeing him in vs. the adrenaline pumping action movies that has made him a household name that would be remembered forever.

Decently directed unfortunately quite poorly written by Eric Heisser, this script offers Paul Walker a herculean Hollywood challenge. I have to admit a fan wouldn't see that Paul Walker is capable of pulling HOURS off as well as he does since it is pretty much a one man show much like Tom Hanks in CASTAWAY. Well he took me by surprise when he embraced the role of the father (Nolan) who would go through any ring of fire to save his new born daughters life. Many a critic would compare this movie with the Hanks hit and then arrive to conclusions that Walker didn't quite create the impact his character Nolan was entirely given the responsibility for. Plain and simply I will agree since Walker was milking the best out of the script he was given and the script is obviously half baked. Something to look forward to is to see Nolan fighting for survival. His desperate plea for life at the brink of the deaths one way highway, his determination and perseverance to claw through all layers of difficulty for that additional one minute of breathe of life for his daughter. It is painstakingly beautiful and will draw tears to your eyes and make you swallow back a few times.

For a debut attempt in direction HOURS is decently done. However the tag line of the movie and the actual pace of the movie cannot on any level isn't interrelated. "Every second counts" is what the promotional tag line reads misdirecting one to believe that the drama would be intensely woven tight that the slightest mishap may upset everything. Do not be delusional; do not expect this at all. Instead there is not intensity at all; there is suspense but no intensity. If it wasn't for the acting this script would have been as putrid as SKYLINE. Directed and written by Eric Heisser one would not be astonished of the poor writing if one had watched FINAL DESTINATION 5. Eric Heisser has the tendency of attempting intense scripts. He is good at setting the tone but is still working through on his follow through. But still for just only the 5th script he has ever written this one needs ample credit. The only reason I am harping on the plot is because the movie is based on the aftermath of Katrina and I keep looking back at the Tsunami after math movie THE IMPOSSIBLE. I guess if you are brave enough to take a jab at the challenge of writing a movie around a true disaster you need to be ready to take certain hits.

To be released on the 13th December HOURS is the story of Nolan who loses his wife Abigail to the birth of their own daughter on the night of the devastating typhoon Katrina. Moments after his daughter is born Nolan finds out that he has lost his wife and his daughter requires the support of an incubator until her first cry. The patients are evacuated to another location which is more suitably equipped to handle the typhoon, however does not have the equipment to move baby Abigail and her incubator. How far will a father go for her daughter? Nolan's character is portrayed as if its gold. Every nook and cranny is accounted for in his battle for survival. The ranges of emotions from denial to acceptance each played well within the limited script provided. It's surprising to see Walkers diverse acting capabilities that have been over shadowed by his own success in the Furious franchise. Paul Walker sends us one last message and it's beautiful.

A must watch movie for the fans.

RIP Paul Walker. 1973/09/12 -2013/11/30

TITLE: HOURS DIRECTED BY: ERIC HEISSER STARRING: PAUL WALKER RATED : PG-13 RATING: 07/10 RUNTIME: 97 MINUTES

heart wrenchingly awesome

Author: Donnie Lee Scarbrough II from Denton, Tx.
30 November 2013

this is the best movie Paul Walker has ever made. the lengths this man that Paul Walker portrays goes through for his child, is unimaginable. he risks everything for her.

I would give this movie 15 stars if it were possible. this is the harrowing tale of one man's bout to save the life of his newborn child. it moved me in so many ways.

you often here of heroic stories of what mothers do for their kids, but here is one for the fathers. this man risks life and limb to save his daughter and the ending of the movie will move you like never before.

not a big Paul Walker fan myself, but his acting in this film should have won him an award for sure. I was on edge the entire film. best movie I have seen all year.

Paul Walker charming good guy

Author: SnoopyStyle
12 December 2013

Nolan Hayes (Paul Walker) brings his pregnant wife (Genesis Rodriguez) to the hospital right as Hurricane Katrina is about to hit. His wife doesn't survive and their baby is born needing an incubator. Then the hospital is abandoned and he's left alone without any power.

Paul Walker has that charming regular guy persona. I have no complaints about him. He does a great job in essentially an one-man job for much of this movie.

The script doesn't maintain the tension all the way through. There are too many flashbacks, and too many slow spots. The backstory is somewhat charming but not very compelling. Instead of the flashbacks, the story could have used more special effects from the storm. For a low budget movie, that may be asking too much. For much of the movie, Walker is carrying this all by himself. And he pulls it off for the most part.

Dramatic and Tense

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
11 January 2014

In August 2005, in New Orleans, Nolan Hayes (Paul Walker) brings his pregnant wife Abigail (Genesis Rodriguez) with Eclampsia to the Saint Mary Hospital. Abigail delivers a premature baby and dies and the baby needs to be kept in a ventilator. A few hours later, the Hurricane Katrina hits the hospital, cutting the power and the hospital is evacuated. Nolan stays with his daughter since the equipment is not portable and soon he finds that the battery is in the end of its life and only can hold three minutes of charge. He finds a battery charge and has initially to crank every three minutes. As long as time goes by, the battery holds less charge. But the situation gets worse when marauders invade the hospital.

"Hours" is a dramatic and tense movie with Paul Walker that has magnificent performance in the role of a father that struggles to keep his baby alive during the tragedy of the Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans. The screenplay is filled with his recollections of his beloved wife that breaks the tension. Despite the story is almost theatrical in one location, it never disappoints. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Contagem Regressiva" ("Countdown")

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]