IMDb > "Frozen Planet" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Frozen Planet" More at IMDbPro »

Superb, went far and beyond my expectations.

Author: (roarz@hotmail.co.uk) from Rugby, Warwickshire
28 October 2011

To start with id like to say I've never reviewed anything on IMDb before so bear with me if you don't appreciate how i write, talk or spell. This review is also after only the first episode, although I'm sure that the rest of the series will follow suit.

I had really high expectations before watching Frozen Planet, i had seen the adverts for it countless times and having watched its considered predecessors' Planet Earth and The Blue Planet the trailers gave me goosebumps!

The opening few minutes were of wonderful panoramic landscapes in the frozen worlds as predicted. With these Attenborough documentaries the predictable still somehow takes my breath away, while watching i sometimes have doubts that they are even real(the evidence of the filming is shown at the end as per usual) but i know in the back of my mind that they are.

What makes Frozen Planet unique from previous documentary series is how desolate but somehow beautiful these places are. The final 10 minutes show the route Robert Falcon Scott and Roald Amundsen took to reach the south pole. It is an alien world viewed like never before and should not be missed.

Don't even get me started on the wildlife, underwater and cave scenes, just watch this series!

Amazingly filmed and engaging throughout

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
26 December 2011

Looking spritely as ever David Attenborough returned to the BBC with yet another brilliant documentary series, this time focusing on the seasons across the polar regions at either end of the earth. Spread over six parts, each season gets an episode followed by one on the lives of human in the regions and then an episode on how the regions have changed over time (and temperature). I'm not really a regular viewer of shows such as this, but I do come out for the big guns of the genre and the Attenborough/BBC names tend to be of the highest quality (plus the clip of the criminal penguin that was released as a promo convinced me to watch).

It is hard to fault Frozen Planet for what it does because it is technically impressive and stunningly filmed but yet has more than enough content and specifics to prevent the show being taken as just an excuse to show off your HD TV or have visual wallpaper for an hour (although having said that, it performs that task too and needs to be seen in HD). Although it covers a lot of ground, the show perfectly captures a sense of the extremes and of the remarkable forms of life that live in and around them, some we have seen before and some we have not and I found it as engaging to see familiar creatures as I did to learn of caterpillars that freeze completely solid only to thaw out and continue living when the ice retreats. As is to be expected, some of the presentation is a touch anthropomorphised but mostly the show is pretty honest about the chances of survival and is not afraid to show us the fates of creatures who are simply unlucky or misjudge their situation. Although one tries to watch it as a documentary it is hard not to feel something when you've just watched a baby bird survive a very rough landing on its first flight, only to be grabbed by a passing fox! The final two episodes are weaker by comparison because there is less of the animals and more of the human condition and bigger picture, but they are both fascinating. I came to the fifth episode not expecting much but the study of select communities did impress – not so much those that go there with money and technology, but those that hunt and live there; the shot of the man on a rope harvesting eggs on a cliff-face was a high point. The final episode just about avoids politics by mostly just showing things and leaving the rest to the viewer, but it was still an unusual part of the show compared to other series.

As always the filming is incredible and I do enjoy the little snippets at the end of each episode where we see how they were done and the frustrations and challenges of trying to get these great shots. The results are brilliant though, whether it is a camera dropped into a creature's burrowed hole, underwater shots of whales hunting as a pack or a hunt taken from far above in a helicopter; all of them are visually impressive and often breath-taking. The degree of access and intimacy is equally impressive and it is this that really makes the show as the viewer really feels part of an environment that the vast majority of us will never see or experience for ourselves. Over all this Attenborough's familiar tones inform and entertain – on top of his genre as ever but yet modest to the end.

Frozen Planet was a great series, really hard to fault as it delivers across the board for the vast majority of its run.

Chilling!

Author: Mahesh Ramasubramanian from India
5 November 2011

I am a big fan of the BBC 'earth' series having religiously followed Planet Earth, Life, Human Planet and others. Frozen Planet was something I have been waiting for for a long time now. There are some sequences in the series Life which I found were lifted off from Planet Earth, and I half expected Frozen Planet to follow suit. None of that happened - and all the footage here is brand new. The camera work is top notch, and seeing the big beautiful ice world up close is unbelievable and mesmerizing. While in previous series, Mr. Attenborough never made an appearance as himself only always commenting from the sidelines, this time around he makes his presence felt - and that's a good thing too. The last few minutes showing the team's shoot with Orcas provides quite a pleasant surprise and would give any nature lover the goosebumps! I would highly recommend the first episode of Frozen Planet to everyone. If possible, watch it on Hi-Def with a good sound system. You will be blown away!

Absolutely brilliant work

Author: Bert45 from New Zealand
12 April 2012

I was looking forward to this BBC series and I was not in any way disappointed. The work that went in to bringing us these wonderful visions of the polar regions is amazing. Thankfully, in New Zealand, we saw the David Attenborough-narrated version as it was meant to be. No disrespect to Alec Baldwin, who narrated the US version, but Sir David has been there and done that in wildlife film-making for the best part of 60 years. He KNOWS what he's talking about. I'm very aware of the "controversy" that surrounds the seventh episode titled On Thin Ice, and the apparent reluctance of US TV to show it because it deals with climate change. My advice is: don't let anyone tell you that this is a piece of climate change propaganda. It's not. It simply lays out the facts in a non-judgmental way and backs them up with historical photography and clear satellite imagery. Watch it and make up your own mind.

Simply astonishing!

Author: Thomas from Sweden
25 January 2013

There aren't possible to describe all the beautiful footage showed in this documentary. It's easily the best i have ever seen, on par or even better than BBCs "planet earth" which was unique because of its big budget and long production time (16M £, 5years). Its probable that production paid off not only financially but also in terms of skill, and it certainly comes to show here in BBCs next effort to show us the mysteries and beauty of our planets frozen worlds. More than anything else this production is a profound statement on how precious and unique our planet is and how immensely important it is that human activity don't destroy it. Richard Attenbourough is, as we all know by now, the perfect narrator. His deep interest and knowledge in natural history is apparent, adding a pleasant edge to a marvelous achievement that is Frozen Planet.

Frozen Planet

Author: Jackson Booth-Millard from United Kingdom
21 November 2011

If you ever watched Planet Earth or Life, then you will know what to expect with this nature documentary series, this time focusing on one specific environment that many animals inhabit. Sir David Attenborough narrates this series that takes a look at the coldest places in the world where some of the most beautiful and extraordinary animals, as well as people, live and survive through the four seasons, spring, summer, autumn and winter, all still remaining mostly cold. The places are specifically the Arctic and Antarctic regions, over and under the glaciers, icebergs and the icy sea, and the animals included in series are the polar bears, penguins, albatross birds, killer whales, arctic wolves, seals, ducks, musk oxen, minke whale and many more. The animals are of course the big draw, and with the help of the same brilliant camera equipment we see some of the most amazing footage in extra motion, it is a fantastic natural history documentary television series. Very good!

Genius

Author: Dylan-Potter
11 February 2014

True genius. It makes standing in the poles, what' really seems like an exhilarating experience feel it's being done by yourself. With polar bears and penguins in the joy of spring, the summertime with less blues, autumn filled with the excitement of the mating season, the hard land that is winter, and then in the conclusion, you have people living there and you can see them. This is a classic series with brilliant moments all through it. It won 4 Emmys because it deserved them more than anything else in 2009. Madagascar- one of Attenborough's best works, the amazing documentary Ocean Giants and the classic Human Planet. Frozen Planet beat all them because some of the amazing stuff, as well as educational (not something I look for in Docos) and exciting (this one is exciting, animal-action-packed series) but also never filmed before. Nobody had filmed at Antarctic volcanoes or the Russian arctic before. Migrating eider ducks was new and never done before. That is the magic behind a classic series. Do yourself a favour if you haven't already. Watch all 7 parts. Won't waste your time. You could do an episode a day and be finished with it in a week. Come on. It won't wreck your life or anything. C'mon.

Wonderful, beautiful, informative, captivating

Author: balram-yadav
10 April 2013

This is a wonderful documentary covering the Arctic and Antarctica sections of our planet. You see these two regions through 4 seasons, through the eyes of it's inhabitants (mammals, birds, fish and humans). It captures the beauty, harsh weather and life in all of its glory and challenges. We get to see a thorough glimpse in life of all key animals. The 4 season covers, love, birth, growth, survival, death. We also get to see the life of human beings who live around Arctic circle. It is a tough and simple life.

The show is very informative and very entertaining. Highly recommended. If you love nature or want to know more about this planet, check this out. I am now sifting through IMDb to find more such shows.

Brief look

Author: rjscragg from Canada
19 April 2012

Definitely one of the best documentaries ever. The awesome video combined with superb audio effects make for an engaging viewing experience.

The series is airing in Canada/U.S. right now with Alec Baldwin as narrator. I think this is the first time airing on the Discovery Channel. Fortunately I have the original BBC version with David Attenborough doing the narration. I also prefer the "freeze frame" sequence structure in the BBC version which shows the "making of" clips at the end of each of the seasonal episodes.

The only real complaint I have is that the polar bear footage does not have a predator/prey sequence. I assume they did not come across anything in their travels. The lack of a pred/prey polar bear clip is made up for in what I think is one of the best predator sequences ever filmed. The filming of the battle between the wolf and Bison is absolutely stunning, not to mention heart wrenching. Additionally, the way they get in position for the shot is crazy.

My other favourite sequence is when the team filming the Adelie penguins gets trapped by the wind for 4 days. That would be pretty scary.

All in all a great viewing experience.