IMDb > Curfew (2012/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Curfew

Curfew More at IMDbPro »

Any other year, this film would be a STRONG contender for the Oscar.

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
3 February 2013

I just got back from seeing the five Oscar-nominated live action shorts and was pleasantly surprised. After seeing a mediocre batch of animated shorts yesterday, I was so happy to see that the live action films are among the very best I've ever seen nominated.

I really enjoyed "Curfew" and it sure had a lot to like. Nevertheless, I think it's definitely a long-shot to get the Oscar simply because two other films ("Henry" and "Death of a Shadow") are perfect--among the two best short films I have ever seen. They just blow away the competition--but I would hate to see "Curfew" lost in the process. The quirky story was terrific but I really, really liked the acting--particularly Fatima Ptacek--who had one of the best child performances I've seen in years! The film starts on a VERY dark note. Richie is in the midst of committing suicide when he gets a phone call from his estranged sister--she is in a bind and no one can watch her child, Sophia, and she begs Richie to watch her. But, since Richie is a drug-using loser, she sets some VERY specific rules for the evening. Where it all goes from there, you'll just have to see for yourself. The film is ALMOST funny--but also darkly tragic and touching--a difficult sort of path, but the film succeeded in doing this. But THE reason to watch it is Ptacek--who gave a performance that reminds me, a bit, of McCauley Culkin in "Uncle Buck". I can't wait to see more from this kid--I just hope she keeps her head on straight when all the offers start pouring in--and they are sure to. Well worth seeing.

UPDATE: In keeping with my usual track record with predicting Oscar winners from this category, I was wrong about "Curfew" as it DID win! I am glad I am not a betting man!

Amazing!

Author: anabelengm from Costa Rica
5 March 2013

You can't say no to this. It's less than 20 minutes long and it's absolutely beautiful.

Richie has problems of his own, it's really obvious given that beginning. His sister calls him asking to take care of her daughter, whom he never sees. We learn that it's not because he doesn't want to, but because of something that happened years ago.

It's an incredible story about family. How Richie bonded with the little girl and, later on, re-bonded with his sister.

Lovely story and amazing acting from everyone. More often, we see kids overacting or trying too hard. So, it always amaze me when I see a child giving this kind of performance. Fatima Ptacek acts and she does it brilliantly.

90s Compilation with a touch of Drive

Author: Vince Leuenberger from Zürich, Switzerland
28 February 2013

Really like that short. Kind of feels like an amalgamation of movies I grew up with in the 90ties in a good way. There's a touch of Léon (1994) with that strange colliding of worlds between an adult and a sweet kid (even though she's does not want to become a junkie ;)), there's the bowling alley with musical intermission of The Big Lebowski (1998)and that composed song by Shawn Christensen himself somehow recalling the soundtrack of Drive. Add good acting and a good camera and that mix adds up to movie that has a good length but I still wanted to see more of.

I even tried to get hold of that "bowling alley song". I'm guessing it must be that "sophie so far" song composed and performed by Christensen. Please add this to iTunes. People would buy this for sure.

And congrats to winning the Oscar!

It is really worth to sacrifice the few minutes to watch the video by Shawn Christensen. I would recommend it to anyone.

Author: pavolkrol from Poland
23 December 2012

The film addresses the difficult relationship between adult siblings: brother and sister. Short production is the perfect choice for Christmas. At the time in which our lives a little stops. Then we have time to reflect on your life. We can make an examination of conscience. Consider whether to make everything we do well. Do we act in accordance with our internal beliefs. Finally, is it possible our reconciliation with those close to our heart, soul. Very good role of a girl named Sophia (played by Fatima Ptacek). The rest of it was okay. There were plenty of tension in the film, melancholic atmosphere, and even a pinch of humor.

Shawn Christensen's CURFEW one of the BEST SHORT FILMS I'VE EVER SEEN! (Some SPOILERS)

Author: cinematicheroes from Staten Island, N.Y.
11 March 2013

One of my acquaintances had a short film in Tribeca in 2012 and I went to the "Menhattan" Block of shorts to see it. While I enjoyed it, it was there that I first discovered CURFEW - what an amazingly brilliant short! I also had the chance to meet and chat with Writer-Director/Lead Actor Shawn Christensen - such a talented individual. A Rennaissance man, if you will. He also wrote the music for the film.

The film opens up at a dark point with our lead character Richie, who has obvious suicidal tendencies and bouts with both drug-use and depression. At his lowest moment, he receives a phone-call from his sister, who is desperate - with nowhere else to turn - asking him to watch his niece Sophia.

Where the movie goes from there, I will let the viewer discover for themselves. However, Christensen, not only does a very good job portraying Richie, he manages to tell a full story in only 19 minutes - no easy feat! As the director, he also manages a nice mix between this heavy-handed drama with the perfect amount of humor blended in. It's a tightrope, but Christensen navigates it well.

Much kudos to the young Fatima Ptacek, who despite her young age, turns in a brilliant performance as Sophia, Riche's niece.

One thing that is a testament to Christensen is that this film NEVER runs into melodrama, but is the best kind of drama - the kind that forms a lump in your throat and brings a tear to your eye. Without seeming as if it's trying to, it does tug at your heartstrings.

I saw this film almost a year before it won the Academy Award, but I said it then and will say it again now: It was one of the BEST SHORT FILMS I'VE EVER SEEN! I told Shawn Christensen he was going to win the Academy Award and it was no surprise to me when it did.

And, I am anxiously awaiting his next masterpiece.

Richie learns life lessons from 9 year old niece.

Author: walton22-989-954120 from United States
3 May 2014

Curfew is a short film written by and starring Shawn Christensen. Shawn plays a young man name Richie who deals with a drug addiction and depression by a way of attempting suicide. Richie's suicide attempt is interrupted by his estranged sister Maggie (Kim Allen) who hasn't spoke to him in years. Maggie calls Richie and asks him to look after his nine year old niece; Sophia (Fatima Ptacek) for a few hours while she deals with a situation. Richie is not the ideal babysitter, but, Maggie has no one else to turn to so he agrees to take on the responsibility.

When Sophia first meets her uncle Richie she gives him a hard time by stating the rules of how to look after her. They spend several hours getting to know each other; eating fries, going bowling, and looking at a memoir of Richie's childhood memories. By surprise the two of them begin to bond. Richie learns some valuable lessons about the unexpected joys of life through bonding with his niece. Sophia and Richie build a connection and she helps him see that life is worth living for. The two of them are out to eat and she is asking him lots of questions trying to figure out what his life is all about. She talks to him as if she is the adult and he is the child. Richie becomes frustrated; he wants her to shut up and eat. Sophia helps Richie realize how much he is missing in life by pointing out the things he don't have. The acting was amazing. Fatima played the character of Sophia really well as if she's been acting all her life.

This film reminds me of Man on Fire starring Denzel Washington and Dakota Fanning. The themes are similar in nature. Man on Fire is about a former US Intelligence Agent Creasy, who is withdrawn from all the violence and corruption in the world. He is hired to guard ten year old Pita, played by Dakota Fanning. Pita teaches Creasy how to soften up, live a little and to look on the bright side of things. Sophia and Pita are two young, innocent individuals at the beginning stage of their lives. These two angels' helps two men turn their situation around and see the joy in living.