IMDb > "The New Normal" (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Great Show/My Favorite

Author: randycleve2 from Cleveland, Ohio
14 February 2015

While this quickly became my favorite show, I understand some people having problems with it, especially if they were expecting a comedy on the same order of "Will & Grace," "Seinfeld," or "The Big Bang Theory," with the airwaves thick with one liners. There's nothing wrong with that, but this show put more focus on issues, and the humor was usually more subtle, and often, but certainly not always, more geared to poking fun at show business people. It was more of a combination of drama and comedy, and like a movie, there was no live audience or a laugh track, so you can't take your cues from others for the things that might be humorous, or whatever emotion you feel. If you're not much into keeping up with today's celebrities, you probably didn't get the humor, and you likely felt left out. I'm not much into it either, but the show had me looking up various people mentioned, so I could keep up. I also checked several online discussions of that time about the series to get some insight from others about the celebrity comments. I loved this show, which had a great cast. Unlike most shows, and while the episodes can stand on there own, there is more of a flow from one episode into another, much like a movie. You really have to watch the whole series to see how the producers/writers deal with some aspects of things from earlier episodes. Overall,EXCELLENT! Connected with me very much. I'm proud of this show!

Good, but it needed a little tweaking

Author: Suradit from Thailand
16 August 2014

I did enjoy the show and, like Sean Saves the World and Partners, both of which I also found to be as good or better than shows that were renewed for another year, The New Normal may have been axed for reasons other than just their ratings.

That said, unlike the other two shows I mentioned, The New Normal seemed a lot less focused. In the highly successful Modern Family, the show manages to shift focus between the several family components while keeping a common thread for each episode, and they do it well. Not as successful with TNN

In The New Normal, that common thread was often too tenuous if it existed at all. I enjoyed the main gay couple and their interpersonal as well as more general gay-related issues, both those issues used for humor and those that were emotionally painful.

I usually enjoyed the Ellen Barkin character and, although I generally lean way to the left politically, I found some of her well-delivered rants to be fair criticism of some dearly held beliefs or behaviors of those who consider themselves Liberal. There were a few times when her rants, especially in the earlier shows, may have crossed the line into what sounded too much like very real, not at all humorous, bigotry.

Obviously the show was heading in the direction of two gay men becoming dads and all the joy & trauma of parenthood, both typical and unique to same-sex couples. So the surrogate mom was a practical necessity, but the character & the actress who played Goldie, in my opinion, were rather bland and added little to the show's appeal. Actually I thought her estranged husband, Clay, although somewhat marginalized in the plot development, added more to the show's appeal than she did.

But the killer for me ... in the negative sense of the term ... was the little girl, Shania. Maybe in some After School Special format or main stream family show, she would have been considered cute and precocious, but I'm guessing the primary audience for a gay themed show like this does not include grade school children or Middle Americans resting after a hard day at the factory or plowing the fields.

The kids on Modern Family fit in beautifully with the pace of the show and would appeal to those who might be expected to watch such a show. Shania was just an annoying waste of show time. Maybe I'm projecting my feelings onto more people than is warranted, but when the Shania character appeared to be more than incidental to an episode, I definitely started jabbing the fast-forward button or went on to the next episode altogether. Watching her prepare for and perform in a grade school assembly was a little too Sesame Street for me and the sort of thing that is a leading cause of glazed-eye syndrome.

I think with a little effort and redirection, the show could have been saved rather than axed. Hope the two main characters can make a comeback in something better aimed at its target audience.

The New Normal

Author: Paul Sportelli from United States
26 February 2013

The concept is very interesting but the characters are not believable to me. Being in a long term gay relationship with an adopted son, I can relate to the story lines in each episode but the characters are still trying to find their place and often from episode to episode they contradict their personalities. David (doctor): was the guy with common sense that kept his partner level is now a bit emotional and insecure about adopting a baby.. Jane(grandmother of birth mom): Is a bigot but now appears to have found a place in the lives of the rest of the group and has eased off the sharp cutting edge she had in previous episodes. Rocky: Is just not believable...she is new to acting and it seems a bit..umm forced. Brian: Runs too quickly through his lines and as a result does not have the best timing. Goldie & her daughter: they, to me, are the only believable characters. I think the story lines move through each episode so quickly and end up being resolved or the revelations come so quickly without content.

It actually had some substance

Author: Jacques Du Rand from South Africa
19 May 2013

There is about as many opinions on The New Normal (TNN) as there are users. Being gay and from South Africa (where we live in equality, can marry adopt and have all the same rights) it gives me an outsiders' view. The first thing that strikes me is that TNN though leaning to the liberal side does also argue very strong towards the conservative side at times and thus it is NOT preachy but used the standoff between two political sides as a platform for humour – Jane is often the standalone in a very liberal group and fights her fight gallantly and with fierce passion. I have never liked any program or film merely for its gay content, but I must say that this show was fresh and very well placed. It's time was right and its message was exactly where it should be. I have grown so weary of shows like "Queer As Folk" that puts me in the box of someone that don't have domestic family values as well. With the wit of phrase of shows like Maude and the speed and pace of shows like Pushing Daisies, TNN took on all the issues of life today in Los Angeles, USA and middle USA. The objections and fight put up by the group OneMillionMothers bleaching that the show was criticising conservative lifestyles should get some balls, quite frankly. My lifestyle as a gay man (married and stable for 18 years) has been criticised and the took the brunt of many attacks and campaigns from various arena's. All I can say to those mom's and dad's is, take it like Jane/a man and stop being such a whimpering sissy. I am sad to see the show go, but I am confident that there will be many good new shows (be is gay or straight) that will keep sowing he winds of change. 1000 years ago we burned people at the stake, today we wonder how we could ever be that barbaric. 1000 years from now humanity might look upon many of the issues TNN addresses and think the same. TNN had well though through comedy, excellent production value and the cast had perfect comedic timing. It was relevant, topical and not just another bleh mindless drip in the coffeepot being humour for humour's sake. It actually had some substance.

Amazing!

Author: Ellie Cem Cohen from Amsterdam, The Netherlands
23 September 2012

This comedy is something between Will & Grace and Modern Family. Take Jake's words and attitude from Will & Grace as well as Cameron & Mitchell from Modern Family. Here you are. Although the first episode is pushed a bit too hard in acting on third episode it is settled. Acting is OK. Lines are usual. Yet it has a nice touch and script. It has the quality LOGO TV is missing in its own series. Perhaps because this is NBC. However the question is whether this series will last or not. As there are key gay issues crafted very intelligently between the lines such as an American soldier just back from Iraq getting engaged to his fiancé, gay adoption and surrogacy, etc. I just hope NBC makes the right call to keep this series as it is just funny. In this series kissing two main characters is not an issue as oppose to Modern Family. I just hope we will see the season 7 when they have their grandkids.

Not Such a New Normal

Author: duncanjohn71 from Geneva, Al
27 January 2013

What a delightful and meaningful story line. The humor is so real and absolutely undeniable. Each character embodies a unique personality that is necessary for the understanding and belief of the series. Ryan Murphy has designed and written a piece that relates much of to what the average person either says or wants to say, but to appropriate not to actually. This work like that of his previous masterpiece, gives an outlook on the changing and more trending times of society. It seems that with the success of this show some may with luck be more willing to broaden their judgments on what is different and uncommon and hopefully with the success, that uncommonness will blossom into something of a more familiar and casual and ultimately not such a new normal.

Brilliant. Great potential

Author: Walter Aquilina
24 January 2013

I predict this show to be one of the most popular shows on television by next season. It's got all the in-your-face laughter of Modern Family and the dry, witty humor, as well as the tonnes of celebrity-related jokes, of Will & Grace. The plot is also somewhere in between the two aforementioned shows. The New Normal really lives up to its name. Without trying too hard like some shows, it successfully manages to send the message that there is nothing less normal about this family than any other you can possibly imagine.

The only thing lacking in the show till now is character development, apart from Jane, who I think is a great character with a lot of more surprises in store. Other than that, the story is brilliant, the humor is excellent and the cast is impeccable - I mean, you've got the hot Justin Bartha, the hilarious NeNe Leakes, and Bebe Wood, who definitely has a solid future in acting, what more could one possibly ask for?

Give it a try, you won't be disappointed, it's one of the better comedies at the moment.

So much potential.

Author: LifeOfLopez from United States
30 September 2012

I really want to love this show, the first episode lacked so much though. I'm a huge fan of Andrew due to Book of Mormon so I continuing to watch the show. Each episode is getting better with wittier,edgier writing. Hopefully the writers can step it up a notch and add some depth to each of the characters with some back story and a little more dramatic situations. The relationship between the two main male characters is starting to get less stereotypical but its still there. So far, my favorite scene was the incident with the ignorant father in the store; that displayed daring writing that few public shows dare to go to, especially so early on in their first season. This show has the potential to be great, it just needs support and better writing.

I'm disappointed

Author: (wchamp68@hotmail.com) from United States
8 November 2012

I had high hopes for this show when I first read about it in the new television season previews. It had a timely plot line and seemed like a bold break in the traditional sitcom format. After watching the first few episodes I have to say it's been one of the biggest disappointments of the season.

Put bluntly, the producers don't seem to be able to make up their minds about whether it's a comedy or a drama. As of now, it's not working as either one. It definitely isn't funny and the cast isn't good enough to pull off selling it as a drama. I find Ellen Barkin's character a ridiculous and offensive stereotype and the granddaughter's quirkiness to be unbelievable. On top of everything else, the show is very preachy. By contrast, "Modern Family" has hit a great balance with Cam and Mitchell's partnership of humor, angst, and tenderness.

I read that NBC has given a go-ahead to produce more episodes. So be it. I won't be watching any.

I love the show!

Author: natasha galloway from United States
19 September 2012

If you want to watch a show about everyday people with comedy. This is the show to watch. I know most people don't like that there are two gay guys but in today's society, that is the new normal. I think it send a good message to everyone. Gay people have feelings and they want to live normal but people don't allow them to live that way. Im not gay and Im not against them. At the end of the day, they want to be love, just like everyone else. People might not agree with the show but it is how regular people live. Goldie came home and caught her boyfriend of 9 or 10 years having sex with another woman in their bed. Goldie come outside crying and her grandmother goes in to let the boyfriend know he is not like. It probably have not happened to you but it has happen to someone normal. The guy couple, I enjoy love they have for each other. That is what makes them normal is love. I love the show! I hope it stay around!

Page 2 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]