IMDb > "The New Normal" (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The New Normal"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The New Normal" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Surely a new favorite

Author: Paul King from LA
12 September 2012

The harsh critical reception of this program is uncountable, really, because for so many people the ideas promoted are abominable or simply foreign. I think it's marvelous.

It's hard to think of any other shows that make me say "aw" and laugh too much all in the same thirty minutes. The message of 'The New Normal' is genuine and sweet, and the characters are plenty without feeling excessive and mucky.

The gay couple here is actually a typical couple when stripped of the homosexual title. One man is exuberant and ridiculous while being sweet underneath; the other is laid-back and realistic. The surrogate, Goldie, is someone who is relatable for a lot of people because her dreams completely got away from her but never died. The grandmother is doctrinaire and her great- granddaughter considers her a bigot, but her statements and viewpoints do have an origin.

I must say that I have recommended this show to multiple people and will do so again. I do hope that it is given a chance for a full season and a few more.

It's got potential, and I look forward to seeing that potential unleashed.

Author: Nicholas Sommerby from United States
6 September 2012

So normally I'm not the type to really get into the more modern-day type shows that play on real life. I'd been hearing news about The New Normal for a bit, and thought it was already airing. When I saw that it was only the pilot that was up, I decided to give it a shot.

The story focuses on David and Bryan, a gay couple living an almost perfect life. To Bryan, the only thing that could make it even more so is having a kid.

Contrast to Goldie and her daughter and old fashioned (in the sense of being intolerant of racial differences and homosexuality) mother. After a shocking discovery by Goldie, she decides to take her daughter and leave to start her life over and start living.

Back to the boys, they go through an amusing process of screening potential surrogate mothers (including a pretty amusing scene with one of them), and the one they decide on just happens to be Goldie!

More dramatics ensue involving good old mother, and we're left with a cliffhanger of whether Goldie is pregnant or not.

I was actually pleasantly surprised with what I watched. The jokes were pretty alright, but I mostly just enjoyed the overall story itself for this show. I'm really excited to see how this develops. As the previous reviewer stated, it could go a couple of ways: Goldie could be pregnant and the series (the first or first couple of seasons maybe) could revolve around her carrying their child. Goldie could not be pregnant, but because of how she was positively pressured (the words of praise and the expensive present), she could have lied to the boys and a good part of the first season could revolve around her trying to find ways to get pregnant, with the end of the first season having her successfully be so (leading to interesting moments of tension and possibly one of them finding out that she was lying to them). Or she could not be pregnant and be honest about it, leading to other types of interesting moments.

Though at the beginning with the couple they played a bit on the contrasting stereotypes (one being a bit more feminine, the other being the more masculine), it's obvious that they're playing more at being much more closer to being in a happy middle for both of them, rather than being the extreme left and right that we're usually left to watch. Being gay myself and having the gay friends that I do, it was really refreshing to see that they're being portrayed closer to what people could actually attach to and even possibly relate to (not that there's too much wrong with the stereotype, but it normally seems like they're playing it off for the laughs only, which seeing it over and over gets insulting after a while since we're not all like that). I only do hope that they continue this instead of having them shift over to the same stereotypical characters that we see.

Again, I was very pleasantly surprised by the pilot. Pilots are pretty known to make or break a show, and as mentioned, I think this pilot definitely shows the potential that this show can have. I look forward to watching it and hopefully seeing that potential get unleashed.

Gets better and better

Author: jfalkor80
29 October 2012

This show started out with a lot of potential and just keeps getting better and better. It hits many of the hard issues related to same-sex relationships, but also ties in a lot of humor and heart.

The main characters, Bryan and David, are truly in love and the on-screen chemistry between them is obvious. Sometimes the writers can be a little over the top with the "gay" outfits and one-liners (modern gay people are more likely to act exactly as everyone else), but the show does a great job of showing how normal their lives are otherwise.

Shania and Goldie are also excellent characters with their own lovable quirks. Rocky's character is funny, but needs to become more than an African American cliché. Finally, Golie's grandmother Jane is probably the least believable character and needs the most work. It is understandable that the show wants to dichotomize her bigotry against Bryan and David's love, but it really needs to be toned down to seem realistic (actual bigotry is much more discrete).

Overall, the New Normal is definitely worth watching!

Tired

Author: aadams from United States
18 September 2012

The stereotypical gay couple is tiresome. The single mom with a heart of gold is tiresome. The bigoted grandparent is tiresome. The quirky (but lovable) odd-ball kid is tiresome. They've all been done To Death. Combining them into one sitcom and then using the word "New" in the title is misleading. The problem with this show is that it's not new at all. A newer normal might be a gay person or couple with - surprise - additional attributes that could contribute to the humor of the show. The Luke character on Modern Family is a fantastic development of a kid; his perception is dead-on kid-like. Seeing the modern world through his eyes is fascinating. They've got to give this little girl something besides a crazy hat. I can't imagine what can carry this show – the pilot burned through all the gags several times.

Some people just don't get it!

Author: simon-d-cesair
18 October 2012

I was skeptical when when I read reviews and saw ads for "The New Normal", because I felt that in most shows gay guys are very flamboyant and "heeeeeyyyyy"- like, which is not necessarily bad, however a lot of these characters don't have any depth, no feelings and only seem to be there to have a gay person in the show, who is basically just acting funny, and doesn't seem to have any real problems.

But "The New Normal" is very funny, has a good and very clever storyline, dealing with real and current issues in a funny way, like this year's election, gay marriage, racism, intolerance, interracial dating, same sex parents, and a lot of fringe groups and topics.

The main characters are interacting so believably sweet and honest with each other, that at some points you forget seeing two men. You see a couple having issues, like everyone else.

The grandmother is hilarious! Someone said, she is acting like she is from the 1860s and the worst character. I strongly disagree, I think she is representing the opinion of a very conservative woman, YES these kind of people are out there, please don't act surprised, because you know I am right. IF YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH DON'T WATCH IT! Is she over the top? Of course! Are the other characters over the top and sometimes stereotypical? Most definitely. That's why it is so funny.

"The New Normal" is an honest, funny, over the top sitcom that addresses very serious issues while taking itself not too serious all the time, and I believe everyone should watch it.

The New Normal is the New Great Comedy

Author: missmary1983-475-122135
12 September 2012

I suspect frankly that negative reviews are knee jerk reactions and oppositions to featuring a gay couple so prominently. Considering they actually don't even make sense if you've seen the show, it's obvious they are opinions of society rather than on the show. The reality is there are gay couples out there and yes, there are gay couples looking for surrogates. And yes, the reality is there are some people out there just like "Nana".

The question remains however, how many of the Bible thumpers will crusade against this show both openly and veiled (as prior commentary suggests) which will determine the success of the show. It's writing is witty, every show has a stereotype or two thrown in but it's done in a comedic style. If you are easily offended by anything, don't watch this show, it's not for you. Little Bebe Wood as Shania is absolutely adorable (and managed in the second episode to do a SPOT ON Grey Gardens Edie Bouvier is awesome) and I even identify with her (a lot blond, a little quirky, a little poor and thick glasses at that age). In two episodes, I've laughed and my husband - generally hard to please in comedies - has laughed quite a bit. Yes there are reviewers calling this "gay propaganda" but they knew that going in, there would be crazy people who want to decide what others watch.

~~~~~~~~~~SPOILER HERE~~~~~~~~~~~~ Now that we know she's pregnant (revealed at the end of the 2nd epi), and we've set the basis for the characters, I expect we'll move away from the handful of more stereotypical jokes and start getting into their real story. Everyone who's identified with a show knows the first few episodes are merely the basis and not the bulk.

Funny, adorable, and very Ryan Murphy

Author: AnnaShade from United States
22 September 2012

I have had a blast watching the first three episodes. I love every single character and they all crack me up!

I think the main couple are adorable. They're crazy and cute and I want to know more about them, which keeps me coming back for more.

Some people will be angry because they are two men who want a kid (I think they'd make good parents - they're kind, able to support a kid, and love each other), some people will be angry because they are similar to some stereotype or another (I think they're just who they are - and who they are is a lot of fun!), and some people will be angry for god knows what.

Bottom line: this is a fantastic, funny show about a lot of kind people and a lot of crazy people who are just trying to thrive in their own lives. The show is very sweet but tempered with reality.

My rating: 10/10. I'm so coming back for more.

Not worth watching

Author: cathylou9918 from Tacoma, WA
17 October 2012

I believe they were trying for a Modern Family type show, but this is just not as funny. There are some good parts - a few funny jokes, but mostly it's just tiresome. When the show tries for heartfelt, they just come up as tedious. There is a scene where the mother has a heart-to-heart with the little girl after a disaster at her wedding (the child's, not the mother's - very weird) and that scene just goes on forever. The character of the little girl was supposed to be quirky and lovable but is instead bizarre and preachy. The little actress does a great job with what she's given but her part is lame. The gay couple isn't so bad but really, why do these shows always have to make one of the gay characters so much of a stereotype? The grandmother is positively hateful. Where Archie Bunker had his good points, this character has none. If you are looking for a laugh-out-loud comedy like Modern Family with some lovable character, this show has none and it drowns in weepy(and sometimes creepy) sentimentality.

I was laughing in my seat.

Author: garylife from United States
16 September 2012

I really enjoyed this show. It has a great mix of the comedy and reality that goes into being a parent and dealing with a society that has issues with this situation. Like any comedy, the characters larger than life and make the most of the theme of the show. I was laughing out loud quite a lot.

While most of the characters are Stereo types, that is normal for any funny comedy. Which is also what makes it so funny the Grand Mother is hilarious with all of the stereo typical comments from a bigot. Having heard all of these type of comments and having raised kids myself with my partner. This really hit home for me. I'm looking forward to more episodes.

The New Normal

Author: Paul Sportelli from United States
26 February 2013

The concept is very interesting but the characters are not believable to me. Being in a long term gay relationship with an adopted son, I can relate to the story lines in each episode but the characters are still trying to find their place and often from episode to episode they contradict their personalities. David (doctor): was the guy with common sense that kept his partner level is now a bit emotional and insecure about adopting a baby.. Jane(grandmother of birth mom): Is a bigot but now appears to have found a place in the lives of the rest of the group and has eased off the sharp cutting edge she had in previous episodes. Rocky: Is just not believable...she is new to acting and it seems a bit..umm forced. Brian: Runs too quickly through his lines and as a result does not have the best timing. Goldie & her daughter: they, to me, are the only believable characters. I think the story lines move through each episode so quickly and end up being resolved or the revelations come so quickly without content.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]