IMDb > Fairy Tail: Priestess of the Phoenix (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Gekijouban Fairy Tail: Houou no miko

Fairy Tail: Priestess of the Phoenix More at IMDbPro »Gekijouban Fairy Tail: Houou no miko (original title)

Author: Rosalyn Lim 林惠美 (hayashimegumi) from http://rosalynmuses.blogspot.com
26 November 2014

As a long time fan of Hiro Mashima's works such as Rave Masters and Fairy Tail, I won't deny that I am really fond of the characters and this one easily becomes one of my favorite but honestly that doesn't mean I'll only write praises for the movie because I can be quite critical.

Let's begin with what I don't like about Fairy Tail the Movie: Phoenix Priestess (2012). There is not much really, but I prefer to be honest; I am not comfortable with some of the character's design, particularly or rather, especially the designs of some of the female Fairy Tail guild members. It's really mean if I say they look not as pretty as in the manga and anime series but it is quite noticeable that they look different.

Sometimes in the movie, I find them weird. It's a little like plastic surgery done to their faces. Mind you, there is nothing wrong with alterations, it's their choice but the point is, it is like an unsuccessful plastic surgery which makes people feel uncomfortable looking at them. So whose fault? In this case, maybe the "surgeon"?! :/

(Seriously, what have you done to my favorite Erza and Mira-nee!! Luckily my favorite exceed Carla still as adorable!!) T-T

Enough with whining. Good news is, despite that flaw, this movie is still one of the nicest anime adaptation I have ever seen! Truly, I am not exaggerating. It has a completely new story arc that has never appeared before in the manga or the anime itself, with new characters and setting or location introduced. It is truly a pleasure unlike some of the other animated features which are usually just a summary version of the anime, which is boring or a major let down.

That reason alone is already good enough to why you should watch this Fairy Tail the Movie: Phoenix Priestess (2012). Besides, it also have a great story which is also touching. If you are easily moved, you may find yourself crying at least twice. No joke.

To those who are new to Fairy Tail universe, it is not a fairy tale. It sets in a magical world called Earth Land, featuring not one or two or three but tens to hundreds of different characters with unique backstory from time to time. Most times it is funny and at times it is mysterious but most significantly, it has plenty of valuable life lessons which are always uplifting!

Therefore, I would say Fairy Tail is an exceptional and sensible work of art. If I have to rank my favorite manga and anime of all time, it would be certainly my #3 favorite, just right behind the Dragon Ball by Akira Toriyama and Rave Master by the same mangaka who also create Fairy Tail, Hiro Mashima.

In brief, true, I may appear to be a little biased as it easily becomes one of my favorite but no, I won't simply list any movie without reasons into my favorite list, alright? If you need some anime movie suggestion, this would certainly be one of it! ^_^