IMDb > Autumn Blood (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Autumn Blood More at IMDbPro »

Very impressive

Author: Horst Efthi from Oldenburg, North Germany
17 September 2013

Magnificent and inspiring images, outstanding performances, wonderful music. A story told with few words that features excellent actors and an image heavy style of narration. This is what makes cinema poetic and inflames ones senses and imagination.

The plot about good and evil living all next to each other in the micro cosmos of an untouched Tyrolen mountainside is extraordinary and breathtaking. Thus, although far away from a daily urban life it can be transfered into nearly any community anywhere in the world.

The actors were chosen carefully and met the needs for such an epic movie by 100%.

Definitely worth to see more than once!

Movie was Okay!

Author: sherita1920 from United States
4 May 2014

I don't understand why there are so many harsh reviews of this movie. I feel that the people who rated this movie so low are being overly critical and reading too much into the movie. The movie was simplistic and left you wondering what is going to happen next. Isn't that what a thriller is supposed to do? Make you wonder or guess what's happening. I do agree, I didn't understand why there wasn't much dialog but that just adds to the mystic of the atmosphere of the movie. I felt that it was good due to the fact that the actors/actresses barely spoke a word. In which dialog is what we are so use to hearing in movies and surely was expecting to hear from this movie and perhaps that's why it was rated so poorly. The location where this movie was shot was breath taking. I recommend this movie but I also recommend that when you watch it don't expect a lot from it. Just enjoy it for what it is and don't try to make it be more than what it is. Just keep in mind, you will barely hear a spoken word in this movie...

Autumn yawn...

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
1 May 2014

While "Autumn Blood" is a very visually astonishingly beautiful movie, it lacks anything that even resembles a storyline that is compelling and interesting.

The story is about a recently orphaned boy and girl living in a cabin on the mountain, when their solitude is shattered as the girl is sexually assaulted by a man, who later returns with his friends for more easy pickings. The orphans flee into the mountain to escape from their tormentors.

There is very little dialogue in the movie, which really made it difficult to sustain one's attention fully to the movie for the entire course of the feature. And not even the spectacular visuals - in form of scenery and cinematography - could manage to remedy for a lacking storyline and dialogue.

When I sat down to watch this movie it was because I saw that Gustaf Skarsgård was in it. But still, even he didn't really manage to pull this movie out of a mediocre gutter.

If you enjoy thrillers, then there are far better movies available then "Autumn Blood". This movie was rather predictable as well.

I am rating "Autumn Blood" a mere 3 out of 10 stars, solely because of the impressive visuals, because the rest of the movie failed to spellbind me or properly entertain me in any way.

Stunning, Unique

Author: hess009 from United States
16 October 2014

There is almost no dialogue in this movie. I love that wonderful choice. Especially nowadays when every movie seems loud and overwritten. When we are overwhelmed with too many words. often we have words for nothing. Autumn Blood it is full of very dark content and unsettling moments. Yet still the atmosphere of the film is so tremendously beautiful. The story is told through wonderful artistic cinematography.I see lots of European Films, and this is a remarkable masterpiece done by a first time director. The whole subject was treated very tasteful. Especially as a woman I appreciate the sensitivity of the director. And it gives me hope that there are still many great novice filmmakers out there.

Brilliant, wonderful and brutal

Author: xtatisizm from Sydney
10 May 2014

This film does not have much dialogue, and it uses it powerfully.

If you need to have a movie laid out before you then move on, otherwise this is an immensely moving and captivating experience. From the wistfully serene wilderness imagery, to the wonderfully executed roles from the cast we see the a broad spectrum of human emotions conveyed through their hands, eyes, smiles, tears, anguish and pain.

Cinematography could not have been better, the soundtrack simple and subtle. Sophie Lowe shines so bright as "The Girl", the supporting actors balance and round off the ensemble.

This film is not for everyone, and it's brilliance will only be seen by a few; if you believe the most powerful words are the ones not spoken this may be a film for you.

A great piece including breathtaking environment and performances

Author: Hassan Taher from Sweden
10 April 2015

Some may say that this movie lacks any kind of content except for the scenery and some may say that this movie is brilliant in a lot of ways.

My opinion is that this movie is an excellent portrayal of different demographics and living standards some societies(like this village) can have. All this puts marks and we see that in this movie whereas the victims are more of the poor standards while the hunters has a bit more power to them.

The performances are great and I would like to just acknowledge the amount of untapped greatness in Sophie Lowe who just blows everything out of the water. The viewer gets a sense that he/she is attached to her and can feel her pain and suffering. This is certainly the grittiest and most painful performance she has had yet and she handles it like a complete professional.I have had her on my top list of actresses to watch but this performance probably made her the best actress for me. All this is in my opinion possible only because dialogue is scarce, don't get me wrong Lowe's voice is beautiful but she did an excellent job at showing emotion and pain by body-language. Everyone better keep an eye on this girl because she has got it all!

The boy is also a great surprise for the future and while it's to early to say of what becomes of him he sure as hell had an excellent performance.

The usual suspects(Stormare, Skarsgård..) all did their part like they should.

The dialogue bit was for me intriguing and I can understand the majority that doesn't feel like this because it's a movie right? But for me I think it brought out more of the personal side from the characters. The bond the girl and boy has is quite extraordinary. For example there is one scene where he will try to warn her and they do it all by their body-language and I think that is a great achievement in their acting performances. But as I said some may find this one of the best things in the movie while others will hate it because of the low amount of dialogue but that's the beauty of opinions we all different ones.

The movie is set in a remote mountain village which has beautiful landscapes and I can only imagine how it was to film there(hoping I do get the feeling one day).

So to sum it up I liked it based on the fact that the message the movie has is powerful and the interactions between two siblings is just beautiful to see. Its a solid hit for me which also might get a replay from me and I rarely watch one movie twice. This may have been my first review here on IMDb, but it's solely based on the fact that I just freaking loved every second of it.

Worth to watch.

Author: g-adamopoulou
28 November 2014

Beauty and crudeness, soft and hard, good and evil, innocence and corruption, determination and fear, delivered in all aspects of this film. The antithesis is there in both the scenery and the characters' growth.

The cinematography is stunning. The acting is great by everyone, the leading actress being the one standing out.

From a filmmaking point of view, we have such a great idea and the execution was good enough to make it run but neither strong nor poetic enough to make it fly. This failure to launch is the reason I gave it no more than 7 out of 10 stars.

Failed to impress despite the wonderful Cinematography and brilliant acting

Author: med77_99 from Los Angeles
4 June 2014

I appreciate the effort by the director, he was really trying to create and make a unique experience in film making, which ultimately failed due to several flaws.

first of, the film captures some of the most beautiful scenery of nature shown in film, very wonderful and breathtaking cinematography.

the acting was also very solid with most involved, especially the lead actress who produced a brilliant performance.

So where did it all go wrong ?

I say the script is at fault here, the character development and backgrounds lacked big time. we really did not have enough background about these people, who are they ? what do they do ? what is the issue with their father and the bad guy ? who are the bad guys ? why are they bad ? too many questions lacked explanations and hence leading to poor definition of characters, ultimately leading to lack of tension and intrigue. I really could not care less what happened to anyone in the film, the villains or bad guys did not scare me enough despite the early rape scene, and the lead heroine or protagonist character failed to make the connection with the viewers, at least with me, enough.

the plot was decent, started out well but eventually turned into another human hunt film which as i mentioned lacked enough tension and intrigue.

one minor note is the unique lack of dialog, the whole film possibly contains around 15 to 20 lines of dialog only, it was unique film making, but could it have been the reason of lack of character definition and development ? in that, is why i believe the actress was superb, as she relied on her talent of body language and face expressions in her acting, and deserves praise.

I got really bored at the end, that i started to fast forward the film to see how it ended. i won't recommend this to anyone, but you might as well give it a try and judge for yourself.

Boring, trying too hard.

Author: jadenyc718 from New York City
1 May 2014

Spoilers? Hmmm...I guess.I read most of the reviews and while I don't have much to say about the movie except it was boring, pretentious and predictable. I did however enjoy the reviews more than the movie itself. They were such well written (yawn) critiques of this film and I see this movie was made for them. My mind wandered throughout most of movie, looking at the trees, sky, rocks , farming equipment and is that cattle? The lack of dialog was frustrating and it gets old watching people stare at each other. I don't think an everyday movie goer would enjoy this flick , but if your in the mood to watch trees, rocks things of that sort ,and not knowing why what happened happens, go for it. I'm also kind of confused as to why the hunter ( the rapist really) (whose attractive and does not need to rape anyone, great casting...not)does what he does but doesn't look happy doing it, but yet comes back with his friends only to look sad about it. Yes. Thought provoking.(eye roll).I am a fan of Peter Stormare, love that guy he's a very versatile actor funny as hell and scary at the same time, but this movie was boooorrrriiingggg.

Very unusual suspenseful drama that takes you on an inner journey

Author: rkaufmannfilm from USA
1 November 2013

Autumn Blood is one of the most intriguing films I have seen this year. My wife and I attended the Hollywood Film Festival to see another film at first. After reading about the film at the info desk we decided to see Autumn Blood instead. This film has stayed with us for days. It is amazingly beautiful to watch and deeply engaging. The choice of narrating the story through the action of the characters and nature rather than through dialog was incredible brave. There was complete silence in the theater during the entire film. There was a surprise Q&A with the director and cast. Every single person seemed to be deeply touched by this compelling story. We will definitely follow this director's upcoming works.