"Game of Thrones: The Prince of Winterfell (#2.8)"

"Game of Thrones" The Prince of Winterfell (2012)

« Prev | 18 of 73 Episodes | Next »

Bravado, Betrayal and Truth

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
25 April 2014

Jon Snow is brought to the Lord of Bones that wants to kill him, but Ygritte saves him claiming that he is a Stark. Jon sees that Halfhand that was captured and he wants Jon as a spy of the Wildings. Luwin sees Osha in the crypt and she shows Bran and Rickon alive, and the burned bodies belonged to the farm boys. Stannis and his fleet is arriving to King's Landing and Tyrion is plotting a plan to defend the castle, while Joffrey shows a false courage. Robb arrests Catelyn for releasing Jaime Lannister from his cell to exchange him for her two daughters.

"The Prince of Winterfell" is an engaging episode and fortunately the two Stark boys are alive. Joffrey's bravado is disgusting and let's see if he will have the bravery that he shows to the court. Catelyn's betrayal is unforgivable and has deeply affected Robb and the other Lords. My vote is nine.

Title (Brazil): "The Prince of Winterfell"

An Episode Creating Anticipation and Resolution

Author: Hitchcoc from United States
1 May 2015

We need to line up the chess pieces at some point. Theon is convinced that the two brothers are dead, burned to a crisp, even though they have escaped. Catelyn has betrayed her son. All her talk of the necessity is just that. I know that somehow we are to see the wisdom of what she does, but I don't see it. The Lassiters are as cruel as can be and it is really hard to imagine any compassion on their parts. Of course, with Tyrion in a command position, there is internal hemorrhaging going on. It's interesting that despite his limitations and physical size, no one dares take a shot at him. Now we have Jon Snow, captured by the Wildings along with his comrade, being driven across the icy wastes. Arya and her friends have managed to get away with the help of her benefactor. King Joffrey has bought into the idea that he is a warrior. Tyrion laughs at the thought. Jaime is in a canoe being paddled down the river. Bring on the last two episodes.

Only preparing us for the season finale, but still filled with rememberable conversations.

Author: axel-koch from Austria
23 August 2013

"The Prince of Winterfell" doesn't include any action scenes at all, but you feel that it serves as the preparation for what happens in the next episode and as that, I found it to do a very good job. However, D.B. Weiss and David Benioff, the creators of the show, don't desist from including outstanding drama moments. Most of those happen in King's Landing where people seem to be in direct preparation for war (the whole setting just looked a little too calm for me considering the looming battle) while Harrenhal also gets its deserved attention. Not really in the fore anymore (rhyme alert!) are the story parts with Jon Snow and Daenerys, but I sense huge surprises waiting for them nevertheless in the final two episodes of season two. Winterfell and the Stark camp receive a fair amount of screen time as well, Stannis and Davos return after a short absence with a rather forgettable conversation that only includes one important sentence in two minutes of talk. Alrighty then, lots of stuff to talk about!

Perpetually entertaining, but notably great in this episode were the several scenes at King's Landing, every single one involving Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister. The only Emmy-winning cast member of the show never disappoints with his acting, yet in this episode, I honestly found more joy in the actors sharing the scenes with him. Lena Headey went back to being bitchy, the solitary thing she does better than having sex with her brother. Then there's Jerome Flynn as Bronn, spitting out hilarious one-liners pretty much every time he opens his mouth, Conleth Hill as Varys, whose only job seems to be having interesting conversations with all sorts of royal family members in the city, and Sibel Kekilli as Shae, the German actress who always failed to impress me until this episode and the ones before it, in which she mostly overcomes the unnaturalness she's had until that point.

Maisie Williams once again did a terrific job as Arya - her conversation with Jaqen H'ghar may have been the best moment of "The Prince of Winterfell" – but I found the group conversation in Tywin Lannister's dining room to be unnecessarily prolonged. Another scene overstaying its welcome happened in the tent of King Robb. Lady Talisa telling him a story of her childhood was definitely unneeded, yet it resulted in her taking her clothes off, which relativizes my criticism. I mean, as objective as I try to be in my reviews, that girl got a helluva booty. In a completely different matter, Brienne of Tarth got to spend time with Jaime Lannister, arguably the funniest scene this episode had to offer.

Rose Leslie didn't lose her charm, only her screen time in this episode while seeing Qhorin Halfhand again made for some nice dialogue. Sam, Grenn, and that other nameless Night's Watch fellow who's never gotten an introduction, but is somehow there since the beginning of this season, use their time to dig comfort stations, during which Sam discovers a rotten Night's Watch cloak. Well, that was thrilling.

Across the Narrow Sea, more specifically in Qarth, Daenerys is spending way too much time on whether or not to rescue her stolen dragons from Pyat Pree, thus the one scene there, her discussion with Jorah Mormont, was virtually useless. Now, to finally come to the episode's title, "The Prince of Winterfell", there's Theon Greyjoy, the douchebag with daddy issues who recently killed Bran and Rickon. But, why is Isaac Hempstead- Wright's name included in the opening credits, then? An interesting solution comes at the end of the episode.

All in all, I enjoyed "The Prince of Winterfell" quite a lot and best of all was the way the tension for the following episode was built. Practically every story part in this episode was a set-up for the big season finale starting with "Blackwater" and left me wondering about all the things that could possibly happen. Way to go!

Character Driven Episode

Author: slightlymad22 from United Kingdom
12 November 2014

"The Prince of Winterfell" is a more character-focused episode than any that came before it this season, providing the calm before the storm.

Plot in A Paragraph: Arya calls in her final debt with Jaqen in a way that he is not amused with. Robb finds out that Theon is not the only person to go behind his back. At Winterfell, Theon receives a visitor. Tyrion and Varys bond, Danaerys ignores Ser Jorah's advice. Stannis and Davos approach their destination.

I really liked Gemma Whelan's performance as Yara and Alfie Allen performs strongly, as he has throughout this second season as Theon.

I didn't think Peter Dinklage could improve on his Emmy winning performance of the first season but his amazing turn this season has been ridiculously good, he has several excellent scenes that show his talent as an actor. He shares a brilliantly emotional scene with Shae (Sibel Kekilli) and his scene with Varys (Conleth Hill) is one of my favourites of the season. Hill shines whenever he is in a scene with Dinlklage.

Lena Headey's Cersei actually seems to rise to the occasion of being in a scene with him in this episode. Normally he blows her off the screen, I've not disliked her as much as I did in this episode since the beginning of season one.

Charles Dance has been excellent as Tywin Lannister, and his scenes with Maisie Williams were always good, but perhaps too much of a good thing as I will miss them now Tywin has left Harrenhal. Their scenes have been some of my favourites of this season.

On the negative side the Robb and Talisa story features two very good looking people doing their best with material that is cliché through and through. Oona Chaplin has a nice bum though, and I hope we get to see more of it. Lol Emilia Clarke and Michelle Fairely are again weak links acting wise too.

Back to the good. I really liked the interplay between Brienne and Jaime as the Maid of Tarth leads her prisoner to a boat.

Now bring on episode 9 and the battle of blackwater. What promises to be the biggest of the season.

GOT Binge...

Author: jcbsn from Utah
24 June 2016

Red headed step child keeps Jon Snow alive, while he realizes that the Nightwatch men died coming back to find him, which will probably on fuel his awesomeness as he single handily destroys the wildlings.

Well ffs, Catherine let Jaime go. Robb is even willing to throw his mom in jail. If it wasn't for Arya he would be the rightful heir to Stark's name.

Arya is playing with fire. Tyrion is being more clever than everyone else as usual, Robb Stark is trying to figure out everything that is happening to him. Looks like Tyrion is feeling overwhelmed as well, and he now knows about Daenerys and her dragons, although who knows at this point where the dragons are. Bran would make a great king. Too bad Jaime and the incest queen ruined his chances while they were being disgusting.

Preparing for a siege

Author: Tweekums from United Kingdom
24 November 2015

As this episode opens Theon's sister Yara arrives at Winterfell and is less than impressed by Theon's action; reasoning that by killing the young Stark boys he has thrown away valuable bargaining chips and made sure that there would never be peace with the Starks. Back in King's Landing Tyrion is preparing for the arrival of Stannis's fleet and is anticipating that they will have to withstand a siege. He also realises just how far his sister will go to show her power; she has Ros beaten thinking that she is the woman Tyrion loves. Elsewhere Arya gives the final name to Jaqen H'ghar, Robb has his mother arrested for releasing Jaime Lannister and Daenerys refuses to leave Qarth without her dragons.

This might not have been the most exciting episode; much of it was spent preparing for the battle that will occur when Stannis's fleet arrives in King's Landing. That doesn't mean it wasn't good; there were lots of fine scenes. The scenes between Peter Dinklage and Lena Headey, as Tyrion and Cersei, were impressive as they started in a friendly way but ended with Tyrion promising revenge for what happened to Ros. Dinklage also impressed in a scene between himself and Conleth Hill, as Lord Varys, where they talk about how he enjoys 'The Game' and how he is surprised to find himself in his current position given that his father once put him in charge of the drains! The scene is nicely mirrored by one between Stephen Dillane and Liam Cunningham, as Stannis and Davos Seaworth, where the latter talks of his humble origins. Another highlight was the scene between Maisie Williams and Tom Wlaschiha, as Arya and Jaqen H'ghar; both did a great job with young Maisie Williams really making us believe how her character has become harder over the series. There were no really weak scenes although the scene involving Daenerys just seemed to be there to remind us of her situation. Overall another solid episode that set things up nicely for the Battle of Blackwater Bay.

The Prince of Winterfell is another great episode and sets up the last two episodes nicely

Author: gavin-thelordofthefu-48-460297 from United States
16 April 2016

The Prince of Winterfell is another great episode in Season 2. My only is that only two scenes felt a bit too long and unnecessary and could've furthered the story a bit. However, it didn't bother me that much and everything else still turned out fine.

The performances are still great, the character relationships are still great as ever before, the pacing (despite how slow the beginning was) is still fine, the music score is still great, and the story/script is still well-written. It also does a nice job setting up the last two episodes. So, overall, great episode and great set-up. That's all I have to say. :)