IMDb > Trouble with the Curve (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Trouble with the Curve

Trouble with the Curve More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 16: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Entertaining, yet forgettable flick

Author: 851222 from Lithuania
2 July 2014

Greetings from Lithuania.

"Trouble with the Curve" is fun, entertaining flick while it lasts, and after it, you won't really remember what happened. Acting is very OK, but the only reason i watched this is only because of Clint Eastwood who, lets admit it, is an absolute film legend. Who doesn't like Clint Eastwood? He didn't win an Oscar, but thats not a problem, everyone knows him and respects as an actor and a filmmaker, he could not wish for more. And he's very cool here, as usual - you believe that he is a scout legend - that is what Eastwood usually brings with him. As a film, "Trouble with the Curve" is a fun nicely done flick + Clint Eastwood = solid entertainment (althrough kinda forgettable).

An interesting exploration of the power and lasting effect of miscommunication against a sporting backdrop

Author: jackiecouchman from United Kingdom
27 June 2014

A cheese on toast movie, soft on top, with an underpinning of gritty bits. There were plenty of characterful ingredients to this story. Adult daughter on the verge of real professional and personal success, seeking parental endorsement has to be the one I identified most strongly with. Ageing father, on the verge of enforced redundancy/retirement. Ambitious colleague, seeking to impress and make his mark no matter who gets trampled in his haste to do things his way. Loyal friend, fiercely protective of and believing in his colleague. Young wannabe, seeking fame and glory, groomed for moneymaking by an adoring father. Handsome young love interest (yes, that'd be Justin Timberlake) coming to terms with frustrated sporting prowess, on the verge of an acceptable second-best career. Poor, but highly talented kid in the background, on the verge of a preordained life of mediocrity. Clint Eastwood's dialogue was a little hard to catch at times as his voice was weak and husky. I watched this movie after a tiring day of travelling on trains and buses and it was a perfect story to relax me. Interesting enough to hold attention, slow enough to give time for reflection on the developing characters, short enough to watch without the need for a toilet break. The painful moments were nicely balanced by the more predictable, cheesy ones. One to put on the re-watch-in-a-while list.

Family is What Matters Most!

Author: g-bodyl from United States
10 March 2014

Trouble with the Curve is the latest film that has baseball as it's "main" theme, but this film goes beyond the meaning of baseball. This film is about family and what family means to each everybody. Though predictable, this film offers enough substance to keep the audience entertained. It's nice to see Clint Eastwood take another starring role, especially after when he said Gran Torino would be his last. As a baseball fan, this is a good movie. But as a lover of cinema, this is also good in "cinema" terms.

This is the directing debut for Robert Lorenz who worked with Eastwood in many of his films. Clint plays Gus, an aging baseball scout who is tasked to scout this big-time prospect for the Atlanta Braves. But his vision is rapidly declining, so his friend Pete has asked his estranged daughter, Mickey to keep an eye on Gus despite his stubbornness.

If this is truly Eastwood's last acting role, it's a good hurrah. It's not his best role, but the grizzled actor reminded me much of his role in Gran Torino. Amy Adams, as always, is perfect in her role. Justin Timberlake is decent, not great. I really liked Matthew Lillard as the computer sleazebag and totally different than his usual roles.

Overall, this is a fun movie to watch and passes as good escapism. It's not the kind of drama that will win awards, but it's one that will play with your emotions and is sentimental to a fault. It's a bit predictable at times, but the performances makes this predictability not matter. A good sports film with a great message regarding family. I rate this film 9/10.

Extraordinary story w/ fantastic dialogue

Author: RadonStar23 from Savannah, Georgia, United States
14 December 2013

Since I have HBO, I find myself watching Trouble with the Curve. Maybe you would think this is a coincidence. But I know different. My friends know different. They know I would watch a Clint Eastwood flick any given chance I had. Well, maybe not ALL of his films. But certain ones. Over and over again.

This is an extraordinary story with a fantastic dialogue. However, what is found here in this film, is a dedication to film itself, and more.

There is this urgency about technology that is ever-present. That fact serves as an over correction to perhaps some bad voice or acting behaviors on the parts of the players in this film, with the goal of targeting a marketing presence ie: Amy and Justin. And this takes away from their exceptional abilities.

This, in no way is an indication that MR Eastwood is not acting up to par, but perhaps, a gauge to how he views his judgment.

I watched it so many times, because I like it. And I am not the only person that likes it.

This movie has everything

Author: richard-1787 (richard@berrong.fr) from United States
2 November 2013

This movie has everything. A first-rate script, fine acting by the leads, good directing. What more could you ask?

Eastwood is first rate as an aging baseball scout who doesn't want to come to terms with the effect of aging on his body and his career.

Amy Adams, in the best role I have seen her in, plays an ambitious young lawyer who is willing to put her chances for a law partnership in danger to help a father who was seldom there for her.

Granted, the final minutes where Eastwood's character explains why his daughter didn't often see him when she was growing up, though realistic, still don't make him a lovable character. But life is sometimes like that.

This is a first class movie all the way. It is not warm and cuddly. It has all sorts of rough edges. But it is a better movie for all that.

Simply Clint Eastwood...

Author: Thanos Alfie from Greece
31 October 2013

I saw this movie because of Clint Eastwood and I liked it because it was something different from the movies which Clint Eastwood usually plays. In this movie we have an old man who is a baseball scout and everyone in the club except his best friend (John Goodman) think that he has to retire from his work.

On the other hand we have his daughter (Amy Adams) who is a lawyer and she works in a big company and she does not have the best relationship with his father because of some facts that have happened.

I liked very much the interpretations of Clint Eastwood, Amy Adams, John Goodman and Justin Timberlake who plays as an "opponent's" team's scouter.

Entertaining Drama in Baseball Setting

Author: FlushingCaps from United States
23 October 2013

Since so many reviews here have detailed the plot of this movie, I will skip much of that. I wish to argue with the folks who claimed this was predictable.

I also wish to suggest you ignore the review from the person who thought the high school kids being scouted were supposed to be "Triple-A" professionals, one step from the majors. To miss that fact reveals that person missed a lot.

I guess it was predictable that the stars, the father and daughter, who we are told at the beginning are not close, would become closer. You couldn't have this movie in any way if that weren't true.

It was surely predictable that the young scout, Johnny, who was signed years ago by Gus (Eastwood), who came across as a likable fellow right from his first scene where he stops to watch some kids playing baseball and gets caught up doing a pretend broadcast of a home run (he wants to become a baseball announcer), and who seems to like Mickey (Amy Adams) right from meeting her, would develop a relationship with her. But, as with any romantic movie, you don't know if it will continue or not.

As for Mickey's job at the law firm…she was insisting she'd be back for the presentation, that, thanks to computers, she was working on most of the time she wasn't trying to help her father. Since her firm was in Atlanta and her dad was scouting this kid in North Carolina, she certainly could fly back for the big meeting and then return to help her father. Anyone claiming they knew just how her position at the firm would be resolved cannot be telling the truth because the movie doesn't make it clear—she's "thinking about it," I believe was the line, with only the suggestion of an alternate path. If you can claim you knew just how that issue would end, I'll use the Casey Stengel line and call you "Clara Voyant." The issue of the hot shot prospect was whether Johnny's club, the Red Sox would draft him right before Gus's Braves could. I agree the title suggest that the young hitter might not be a good draft pick, not in the first round at least. But I certainly did not know if 1) the Sox would pick him and then regret it, or 2) if the Braves would pass on him, listening to Gus (and Mickey), or 3) if the Braves would ignore Gus and go with their computer guy. I don't see how anyone would claim it was "predictable." Or, let's say, out of 100 people we might have found about 33 who predicted it accurately.

My issues with the movie were that they made Gus too grumpy and his relationship with his daughter too estranged. The big reason why he did what he did when she was little, came as a very definite surprise.

I would have made this film less bitter and more lighthearted. I thought the actors did a fine job, and want to commend John Goodman for a far better role than anything I've ever seen him do, although in a supporting role.

If you develop interesting characters, the audience wants to see how various issues are resolved. That they know (can guess) some of the plot developments is not a problem. There are plenty of things that aren't predictable. We cared about these characters, even grumpy Gus and that's why this was an above average film.

Trouble with the Curve theme review

Author: ntitus49 from United States
19 September 2013

Trouble with the Curve is a great sports movie with a true love story. This movie takes place in Georgia and North Carolina. This story is about a baseball scout that seems to be past his prime, and a daughter that he doesn't have a relationship with. Gus (Clint Eastwood) is about to lose his contract if he prove his worth to the Atlanta Braves, his attempt to save his fading career he is scouting a potential 1st pick in the upcoming draft. With new found battle losing his sight, his daughter Mickey (Amy Adams) takes a risk at losing her potential dream job as a partner within a giant law firm to go on the road to help her dad and rekindle a lost relationship. Gus' close friend, Pete (John Goodman), puts his career on the line to help Gus by betting he will make the right choice with the first pick in the draft.

During the scouting trip Gus meets with a young scout that he scouted for the Braves in the past. Johny (Justin Timberlake) threw out his arm early in his career and is now vying for a position as a scout for the Boston Red Sox. During Johny's trip to North Carolina he meets Mickey, immediately is amazed by her beauty before he knows whose daughter she is. This adds to the dramatic/sports theme the movie portrays. Johny and Mickey seem generally interested in each other as long as Mickey and Gus' relationship is going alright.

Gus and Mickey's relationship is very complicated due to the lack of attention and communication, but the one thing that grounds their relationship is baseball. The major scene that explains that is during the last game before the draft when Gus is listening to Bo Gentry's (Joe Massingill) at bat when he discovers that he has Trouble with the Curve. Mickey wasn't speaking to her father, but orders her to get closer to watch and listen to Bo's hands during his at bat. Upon discovering that his hands "drift" he calls Atlanta to try and get them to pass because of his inabilities to hit the curve. The dramatic event in this part of the movie is Mickey and her relationship with Johny has grown, as well as her relationship with her father. During this time Gus convinces Johny to pass on Bo in the draft. Phillip (Matt Willard) convinces the CEO of Atlanta Braves, Vince (Robert Patrick) to not listen to Gus and draft Bo. During this part of the movie Johny, Mickey, and Gus go their separate ways because of betrayal of each other's trust.

Mickey stays behind in North Carolina where she convinces Pete to take a chance on her recent finding of a no-name pitcher who can throw a curve ball that falls off the table. Mickey gets Pete to allow for a one-time unofficial tryout that is ultimately to save her dad's job. During the tryout with Bo and the hotel pitcher, he throws a curve and Bo misses continuously. This leads to Phillip losing his job, and leaves Gus with the option to renew his contract. Mickey loses her chance at becoming partner, but gains interest in becoming involved with baseball and her relationship with Johny.

I think that this sports themed dramatic film shares similarities with Secretariat. My reasons for this comparison are the struggles that the families are going through with each other and their common ground is their passion for sports. The risk in the movie is similar due to the fact that the main characters Gus in Trouble with the Curve, or Penny (Diane Lane) are underdogs with something to prove. While their passion is for their respective sport they are trying to maintain or build healthy relationships with their families. I think that these two movies have great stories to tell because of their true love for both the game and family.

Engaging with some excellent performances...

Author: Andy Steel
15 September 2013

Well made with many baseball references that went well over my head but that didn't matter. The film isn't about that, it's about relationships and as such I found it an engaging watch. Both Clint Eastwood and Amy Adams were excellent in this; I admire them both as actors and they didn't disappoint. Justin Timberlake gets better each time I see him, I just wish he'd stop making those awful records! (It's a joke folks). Also worthy of note were Matthew Lillard as Phillip Sanderson, Robert Patrick as Vince and John Goodman as Pete Klein. It's not a tear-jerker or a heart rending tale but I found it did strike an emotional chord with me. If, like me, you admire Eastwood and Adams then it's well worth a look.

SteelMonster's verdict: RECOMMENDED

My score: 8.1/10.

You can find an expanded version of this review on my blog: Thoughts of a SteelMonster.

Nice return from Mr. Eastwood

Author: ricardopthomaz from Ribeirão Preto, São Paulo, Brazil
4 May 2013

Watching an Eastwood movie is not only good, it's a pleasure, an honor and a very rewarding experience. Eastwood belongs to greatness, so, as you can see, I'm a huge fan! Being said that, I was sad and miserable when Eastwood announced that Gran Torino would be his last effort as an actor. Thank God he returned for this one!

As most of Eastwood's characters as an old man, they all have something in common: they look for retribution. That was the main point in Gran Torino, as also in Unforgiven and other films. And that is the main point here, but not as dark as his other characters were. Despite that, I liked it very much, well, being crazy for Eastwood's work, I may not be the very right person to tell you. But I think it's still a strong performance nevertheless.

Other actors (yeah, in an Eastwood movie they are just that, other actors, sorry!) are also nice and do their jobs fine. John Goodman was good, Amy Adams was nice. And Justin Timberlake was just... well, being himself as always. Nice direction, good pacing, and that's just about right, check this one out!