IMDb > Trouble with the Curve (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Trouble with the Curve

Trouble with the Curve More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 15: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Nice return from Mr. Eastwood

Author: ricardopthomaz from Ribeirão Preto, São Paulo, Brazil
4 May 2013

Watching an Eastwood movie is not only good, it's a pleasure, an honor and a very rewarding experience. Eastwood belongs to greatness, so, as you can see, I'm a huge fan! Being said that, I was sad and miserable when Eastwood announced that Gran Torino would be his last effort as an actor. Thank God he returned for this one!

As most of Eastwood's characters as an old man, they all have something in common: they look for retribution. That was the main point in Gran Torino, as also in Unforgiven and other films. And that is the main point here, but not as dark as his other characters were. Despite that, I liked it very much, well, being crazy for Eastwood's work, I may not be the very right person to tell you. But I think it's still a strong performance nevertheless.

Other actors (yeah, in an Eastwood movie they are just that, other actors, sorry!) are also nice and do their jobs fine. John Goodman was good, Amy Adams was nice. And Justin Timberlake was just... well, being himself as always. Nice direction, good pacing, and that's just about right, check this one out!

To Me, This Totally Missed The Mark

Author: sddavis63 (revsdd@gmail.com) from Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada
24 February 2013

I came away from this thinking that so much more could have been done with it. There was a potentially powerful story here about the troubled relationship between a father and daughter and their attempt to reconnect. The father and daughter were played by actors for whom I have a very high regard - the veteran Clint Eastwood, and I've been enchanted with Amy Adams ever since I saw her in "Enchanted." And they were both very good in their roles - Eastwood as the dad, an aging baseball scout with failing vision who's nearing the end of the road and Adams as his daughter, who's on the fast track to becoming a partner with a major law firm. The story has Gus (Eastwood) being sent to scout a high school baseball phenom and Mickey (Adams) going with him to help him out. Theirs is a distant and troubled relationship. The question is "why?" And the problem is that not enough focus is put on the relationship and its history and on their reconciliation. Other than portraying their distance from each other, maybe 10 minutes of the movie explores the background of the relationship. That was a missed opportunity. It could have been a powerful story, except that the writers clearly aren't satisfied with this being an emotional roller coaster of a ride through a troubled father-daughter relationship, and they want us to think of this as a baseball movie. And that was a problem.

Gus was a scout. I get that. But the behind the scenes machinations going on in the Atlanta Braves organization (supposedly) didn't strike me as believable. If you want to see behind the scenes baseball portrayed, watch "Moneyball." It does a much better job of that. Then there was the high school baseball phenom Bo Gentry (played by Joe Massingill.) As far as I was concerned, he should have been no more than a minor backdrop. The only thing relevant about the character was that Gus - for all the limitations age had brought on - was still able to scout him properly. He couldn't hit a curve ball. Aside from that he really didn't matter to the story, so why keep going back to him? I didn't care at all that he was an arrogant, obnoxious, self absorbed jerk. I don't know why that had to be stressed as much as it was. I don't know why there was a need to have the young Red Sox scout thrown into the picture. OK. I do know. For whatever reason, there needed to be a potential romance for Mickey. Why did there need to be a potential romance for Mickey? I really don't know, except that Amy Adams is cute, and I guess Hollywood figures that a character played by someone as cute as Amy Adams needs a romance. But I really didn't care about her relationship with Johnny (Justin Timberlake.) Adams' time would have been better spent in more powerful scenes with Eastwood than in fluff stuff with Timberlake. And the closing scenes where Mickey brings in a curve ball throwing phenom (Jay Galloway) she's discovered and gets him a tryout with the Braves, setting him up against Gentry in a workout struck me as just plain dumb.

There was some potentially good material in this, and there were two great actors who could have done a lot if that potential had been used. Unfortunately it wasn't, and the whole movie suffered as a result, becoming bogged down in too much baseball at the expense of where the real meat of the story was. (3/10)

Undiscovered Gem

Author: doctardis from United States
21 February 2013

This was the third movie I watched on a plane, and was shocked to discover how good it was. This is a really good movie that should have gotten more attention. I suppose it got lost in all the noise around the Twilight movie series ending and the Presidential election. This is a timeless movie about fathers, daughters and baseball. You do not have to like baseball to like this movie. It is closer to chick flick, but is it much better then those. The characters are brought to life with great performances by Amy Adams and Clint Eastwood. These are not cookie cutter characters as is true in most movies. And there are strong supporting characters played by John Goodman and Justin Timberlake. This is worth seeing.

A feel good movie for any person; sports fan or not

Author: Kyle from United States
9 February 2013

If you've ever watched any Clint Eastwood film you'll be in for a shocker.

The last time I saw Clint Eastwood in such a powerful and diverse role like this was when I was sitting there watching him in Grand Torino and Heart Break Ridge.

If your looking for a movie that hits all the right chords to create a beautiful melody this is the movie for you. It starts off like any classical Eastwood movie; slow, but not in a bad way. As we gain a knowledge of what kind of person Gus is, a stubborn old man who will not ask for help, we meet his daughter Mickey. Mickey is an accomplished lawyer who is trying to get her big break at a the law firm of her dreams. Gus's baseball scouting contract is coming to its end and the young gun, Phillip, at the Atlanta Braves is trying to get him fired.

Mickey is asked by Gus's friend Pete to keep an eye on Gus because somethings wrong with him. Mickey is reluctant to go because of her history with her father. This history is explored through out the movie but doesn't really develop until the end.

As Gus and Mickey travel around Caroline to scout a big name in recruiting, Bo Gentry, they meet Johnny Flanagan. Johnny is one of Gus's old recruits that threw his arm out playing in the major league years back and is now trying to get a job announcing for major league games. As Mikey and Gus travel around Johnny is fallowing the same recruit them around as a scout and instantly falls for Mickey and flirts with her constantly. As the story progresses the tension between Mickey and Gus becomes apparent and nether are really ken on fixing it.

Johnny and Mickey's relationship starts to heat up and Mickey starts to really fall for Johnny.

As the MLB draft comes up Gus tells the Braves not to take Bo because of a simple hick in his swing that keeps him from hitting curve balls. Mickey asks how Gus knows this and he said you can hear it, you just have to listen for the pitch. Phillip tells the GM not to listen to an blind old man but to trust the computers and take him. Johnny tells his team to pass because the Braves will not take Bo and they can have him later. The GM, however, does not take Gus's advise and takes the player. This cost Johnny his job and he blames Gus and Mickey. Out of distress, Mickey starts to push her father for answers of why he left her. This is were we get the whole story of Gus and Mickey's past and the tension that runs between them.

As Gus goes back to Atlanta without Mickey to try figure out what happened. Mickey stays at the motel and as she walks around she hears something. She watches a young man names Rigo Sanchez throw a wicked fast ball. She asks to she his curve ball and she hears it.

Now the action really picks up. Gus tells the GM he made a mistake and when asked how he knows he says because he can hear it and Mickey saw it. Gus is about to get go into retirement when Mickey brings Rigo down to the field to pitch to Bo. Sure enough Rigo throws a fast ball that Bo can't even get a bat on and When Rigo starts to throw his curve ball Bo is know where near close to hitting it. Phillip then is fired, Rigo is asked to play Major League Baseball with Mickey as his agent, and Gus is asks to stay on as a scout but says "maybe."

As they leave Johnny shows up and he and Mickey make up and the movie ends.

I'm not a huge baseball fan. In all honesty I find it extremely boring, but this movie changed that I see now the athleticism in the pitchers and hitters that play this sport. It is a great sports movie and has the right taste of drama to keep you on the edge of your seat. If your a Clint Eastwood fan this will not disappoint. If your a baseball fan this will not disappoint, and if your looking for a heart warming story to watch for the night this is it! I love this movie and will continue to watch it when ever possible.

Quite enjoyable and original

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
23 January 2013

While this is billed as a Clint Eastwood film, the star of the film seems to be Amy Adams--who seems to get more than her share of screen time. Regardless, it's an enjoyable and original film--and one worth renting.

Eastwood plays a cranky old man--much like the guy he played in "Gran Torino" but without the race prejudice. He's definitely a crusty old guy and has a habit of pushing away those who should be closest to him--particularly his daughter (Adams). However, now that he's in his 80s and his eyesight is failing, he really has no choice but to ask for help--but he's just too darn stubborn to do so. So, his boss (John Goodman) takes it on himself to call her and let her know that he's in need of help--especially if he wants to keep his job as a major league scout for the Atlanta Braves. As for Adams, she's a crazed workaholic who wants to be made a partner at her law firm. But she also KNOWS she should help, so for the first time in years, she takes a bit of vacation time to meet her dad in North Carolina--where he's scouting a new hot prospect. Not surprisingly, the film has a lot to do with family and reconnecting but it also is about learning to slow down and enjoy life--something which Adams doesn't seem to know how to do--particularly when she meets a nice young guy (Justin Timberlake--who is really growing into a good actor) who is interested in her. Where does all this go? See the film.

My score of 7 was a tough call and I almost gave it an 8. I think my reason for ultimately deciding on a 7 is that, to me, this seems much more like a rent it than go to the theaters to see it sort of movie. The acting is nice, the story unusual enough to merit watching it and there is a wonderful relaxed quality about it that you often don't find in Hollywood films. On the downside, the ending did seem a bit unreal...but still quite enjoyable.

Pretty Good. No Trouble Here

Author: (bob-rutzel-1) from United States
21 December 2012

Successful lawyer Mickey (Amy Adams), the daughter of Gus (Clint Eastwood) desperately needs Gus' approval and love but they never come. Gus is a scout for a major league baseball team and his eyes are failing him. Mickey decides to help when Gus has to make a decision on a new hitting prospect.

I believe that Clint Eastwood relishes the curmudgeon roles he takes lately. Honestly, we don't mind too much but it is getting somewhat old as he's the same character in different clothes. However, this is Mickey's story and she has to deal with Gus, who abandoned her years ago. Gus is one of those people who cannot express love and caring. Enter Johnny (Justin Timberlake) who keeps Gus and Mickey on a somewhat even keel, although that is not easy. And, if truth be told, Timberlake is becoming a fine actor in his own right.

This is a pretty good baseball story and the title could have well have been Trouble with Change. We see behind the scenes discussions with the management and how they view things with the statistics that computers bring to the game….ah…..business. Of course, Gus would have none of it.

All this works because we fall in love with Mickey and hope the best for her, and it was over too soon for me. Hey, the heart wants what the heart wants.(7/10)

Violence: Not really. Sex: No. Nudity: No. Language: Only one F-bomb

Wow

Author: ThreeThumbsUp from United States
10 November 2013

It's been awhile since I have contributed to this site, but after watching the last 45 minutes of Trouble With the Curve, I felt compelled to log on and tell the world about this movie, because that's what it is; a movie. This is not a film. It is a Disney flick all the way. I thought the beginning was OK and the baseball seemed semi-realistic. But when the final stanza rolled around, it became unrealistic, predictable and sappy. Perhaps part of my dislike for this movie comes from the fact that I know a thing or two about the ins and outs of scouting professional sports, but even an amateur would be able to tell the ending of Trouble With the Curve was unrealistic and clunky. Of course everything turned out happy and the "bad guys" get fired or fail miserably. Do yourself a favor, skip this movie, especially if you're a baseball fan. You'll become annoyed with the end and bored with the middle.

Barely Awful!

Author: marcus Thomas from United States
5 July 2013

Trouble with the Curve is, after all, a "baseball movie," and, as such, it is not good. The lead actors make the movie watchable, despite the hackneyed and predictable story. Some, out of respect for Eastwood, I suppose, will give this film a passable rating, but it does not deserve it as a whole.

Not only is the film predictable, but it absolutely abounds with cliché. The hot-shot baseball prospect Bo Gentry (Joe Massingill) is a jerk. The hot-shot (young) computer-savvy scout Phillip Sanderson (Matthew Lillard) is an even bigger jerk. Mild-mannered prospect Billy Clark (yes, his name is Billy!) can go five-for-five if only he can see his mother again. The big-shot law firm partners are really good ol' boys.

The story is so predictable, that, as each subplot emerges and is wrapped, the viewer will be absolutely amazed that no twist occurs, no fake, not a single original turn. The story simply unfolds as one would expect in boring fashion. This film might have been an acceptable made- for-TV movie, but it does not deserve theatrical release and certainly does not deserve Clint Eastwood in its cast.

Just brilliant Eastwood

Author: steventot from Slovakia
7 December 2012

WOW! I'm not the one who writes lot's of reviews on movies but this one is just great. Really mature motion picture with sense of humor,some drama and lots of good lines. Loved it. If you are tired of "WOW effects" and "Good guys always win" style of movies this one is really good fun. Eastwood brings his very good acting and the rest of the actors are very believable too. Amy Adams is very convincing at playing the worrying daughter . At the end the pace is a bit too fast, and ideally the movie could take another 30~45 minutes but that would made it longer to sit through in the theater's for some people. It still kept me entertained during the course of the movie! Recommended!

Three-Base Hit

Author: writers_reign from London, England
30 November 2012

If you live in London and read the Evening Standard best ignore what their s0-called critic said and read instead the great reviews on IMDb. It's clear that there was insufficient cgi, S&V, all-round gore and body count for the Standar's cretinous critic. Time the Standard deep-sixed this cat and hire someone who knows his ass from third base movie-wise. Don't get me wrong, this isn't going to be troubling the judges at Oscar time and/or the Festival circuit but then Robert Lorenz isn't Joe Wright; he's a first-time director who realises that most audiences want entertainment not pretentious dross. In short this is our old friend the feel-good movie, sadly in decline of late; if you want to BE pretentious you could call it a Rom-Com with attitude. It's less about baseball than about relationships, father-daughter, man-woman, and it delivers on both. I doubt if I've ever seen Amy Adams give a bad performance and she doesn't break the streak here. Eastwood too is ageing like Jack Daniel's. I'm not saying it'll hold up five, ten years down the line but right now it's a triple play.