IMDb > Trouble with the Curve (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Trouble with the Curve

Trouble with the Curve More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 16: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Author: Christine Merser (christine@morethanmovies.net) from United States
7 June 2013

I was irritated with Clint after his ridiculous performance at Mitt's ridiculous convention, and I was worried that my feelings would affect my experience of seeing him in Trouble with the Curve. But I should have had more faith in my own ability to put such feelings aside because when the lights went down and he showed up to play a failing baseball scout who has spent a lifetime following the game, I forgot all about empty chairs and silly monologues.

Clint is so bad in this movie that his embarrassing convention performance a few weeks ago has now been completely overshadowed by his stilted, half-assed performance in this movie. There is a scene early on in which he has just gotten out of bed and is going to try to pee. His plumbing is working like an old man's—nothing is happening. He talks to it, and while I'm sure that scene actually plays itself out in real life across the world in many languages, Clint has no clue how it works. Then there is his failing eyesight, which causes him to run into things and trip and fall into grandstands. It's played so badly, so inauthentically, that you can almost hear the director saying to him, "trip here Clint."

And what a shame it is, because the character of Gus Lobel has legs, and it needed the kind of performance that Tommy Lee Jones gave in Hope Springs. The character of Gus reveals a lot about the inner workings of men in their twilight years who have wrestled with hard decisions alone, without input from the people who were affected by those decisions. My dad is a Gus Lobel, and when I thought about the character after the movie, I softened my attitude toward some of the decisions my father made that affected me so very much long ago, decisions that seemed at the time to have been made without any consideration for my opinion. It was a gift, but I didn't get it from Clint's performance.

Then there is Amy Adams, whom we all love. You are not allowed not to love Amy, who plays Gus' brilliant daughter Mickey (Mickey, by the way, is just too contrived a name. Quit using her name to shove who she really is down my throat). Mickey is struggling to play the role of a trident lawyer, but her true joy is the game of baseball. I love how she demonstrates her knowledge of the game at the moment most likely to give it a large landing. I don't mean to sound petty, but the trouble with Amy in this film is her hair. I can't see past it. It's really long and very wavy, and takes over the screen whenever it is on camera, which obviously is whenever Amy is on camera. My Aunt Nancy said when we were leaving the theater that all she could see was Veronica Lake. Here is a quote from Veronica Lake that says it all. "I will have one of the cleanest obits of any actress. I never did cheesecake like Ann Sheridan or Betty Grable. I just used my hair." And so it goes. Her performance was lost in her hair. Alas.

Justin Timberlake, who plays Gus' adoring discovery and the smitten wannabe boyfriend of Mickey, really needs to stop trying to take up more creative space than he is due. He is a great singer, and an even better performer on stage. He needs to quit being greedy and stop trying to be an actor as well. You only get so many talents. 'Nuff said.

A shout out to John Goodman, who is always great playing the same cranky man's man who has real soul underneath. I'd love to have lunch with him sometime. Bet he's got tons to say.

The movie is better than my whining here. There is a message in it, and the ending has the rah rah we Americans love to see on the screen, but it isn't developed enough. It's one-dimensional and too predictable, and the truth is that even if it had been done better, the real problem is that it follows the movie Moneyball, which was so damned fabulous that any baseball movie would pale in comparison. It's tough to follow home run with a double. And that's what Trouble with the Curve is. A double.

Everyone is right

Author: skGoliat from Germany
6 June 2013

This movie is cliché ridden, foreseeable, there were some bad dialogs and still I liked this movie because of the characters.

Still, the story is paper thin, this is not a very creative movie and I would not suggest this movie to everyone as the best movie ever. But I fell in love about how this story is told. It is slow, it has great pictures in it, lovable characters. When the credits roll, you just feel good about it.

I always rate movies about their ability to entertain. There was not one minute when I had to watch my clock, it felt very short and so it gets a good rating. Because this is what entertainment is all about, isn't it?

Trouble with the Curve — A tenacious daughter and a grouchy mule-headed father

Author: Avid Climber from Montreal, Canada
15 April 2013

Trouble with the Curve is a father-daughter movie.

The acting is solid. You're quickly taken by the story and the characters who are well developed. The setup is quick. There's no lingering at any stage of the well paced scenario. The story is diversified, rich, and vibrant. The cast is scintillating. Clint Eastwood plays yet an other grouchy old man, but even grouchier, and plays it once again very well. Amy Adams is sweet and lovely with a demanding presence on screen. Justin Timberlake act as hot as he usually does with a role that fits him very well. John Goodman complete the cast of friends with an other good performance. And finally, you just want to slap Matthew Lillard, as the over confident ass hole.

However the ending is weak. It should have ended before the boardroom with a simple closing of the chapter on the field. The way it was done is too sugary, and tying all those loose ends treats the audience as a simple minded pink-flavor junkie.

There's also a number of big clichés concerning the father-daughter relationship, as well as the workaholic, the hot new thing (and there are no less than three of them), and the quickly slipped in discovery of the unknown superstar.

Well worth seeing.

Perfect title, once you've seen the movie

Author: JohnRayPeterson from Montreal, Canada
20 December 2012

The film is classic recent decade Clint Eastwood; since 1997, Eastwood has been playing cantankerous over-the-hill characters in each and every movie, all of them. So, it boggles my mind when viewers, especially after reading the storyline of this movie, expect to see anything but what he can deliver, and deliver with the precision of a Swiss watch. It snows in winter, there are heat waves in the summer, sports games haven't changed much in decades and neither has Clint. Of course, there is that thing he did at the republican convention this past September, but that has nothing to do with the price of tea in China either. He's 82; how many of us can still deliver solid work by that age. Bravo Clint.

The movie has a good cast of pros, even Justin Timberlake got off with a more than decent performance. I'm too bias to speak at length about Amy Adams; some of my previous reviews have probably made it clear I like her. She has an important role in this movie and I was not disappointed by her. I had some difficulty buying in on the premise that an accomplished attorney (her role), poised for partnership in a big firm, would practically drop one of her biggest cases to go on the road with her dad; but thankfully, the script covers that apparent gaping flaw with a most plausible reason, one that more than explains the direction the story takes from that point. As in all of the movies in which Clint has picked to act, the characters developments play the most important part. The story follows a well orchestrated direction, designed to bring an impact ending, which of course it does; you can always expect a big finish and you'd have reason to complain if there wasn't one.

It struck me that the baseball back-story was coming from a completely different direction than that of the 2011 hit Moneyball; it nonetheless works and works well, thanks to Matthew Lillard's performance. If he has a part in a movie, rest assured, you're going to hate the character; I wish he was given a part going the other way, just once, to see if he could do as well. The switch would certainly play the element of surprise; but producers aren't always ready to take that sort of risk. Loved John Goodman; how can you not. Now here's an actor who has played a variety of roles, and you can't hate him even when his character is despicable (In The Electric Mist). This movie, like Clint's two previous ones, moved me; thankfully, I was prepared. Don't expect another Million Dollar Baby; be realistic and enjoy.

A pleasant movie with great actors

Author: Bene Cumb from Estonia/Tallinn
15 December 2012

I am not into sports, really, and I am very picky in seeing sports- related movies; as for baseball, I neither comprehend the rules nor find the game attractive. But I have had my exceptions due to actors I like - recently Moneyball (because of Brad Pitt) and now Trouble with the Curve - because of Clint Eastwood.

And again, I was not disappointed - the over 80-years-old man shows no signs of weariness, although he has been on top since 1960ies. All his co-actors are great as well: Amy Adams, John Goodman, even Justin Timberlake, whose songs are uninviting to me... And the plot is pleasant to watch, sports terms and nuances are explained, and the storyline has its twists in spite of several guesses and predictions. And there is no moralizing reasoning on important, at times painful issues - viewers are smoothly "filled" with the points and ideas the makers find important.

Well, the director and producer Robert Lorentz is no novice, being first and famous for his collaboration with Eastwood. And the result is another nice movie worth watching - even for no-sportsmen like me.

Everyone is a sterotype and everything makes no sense

Author: firefalcoln from United States
20 August 2015

This movie almost seems to exist in attempt to DE-legitimize Moneyball. However, Curve is so bad that it only cemented Moneyball as being anything but similar to terrible.

Here's what happens: Clint Eastwood plays a stereotypical old baseball scout who cares only for old-school baseball knowledge and thinks typewriters are scary new technology. He is losing his vision, can't drive and wants the 1950s back. And despite alienating his daughter, he is hero of the story because his ancient baseball thinking, within their fiction, is always perfectly correct to make up for him being otherwise completely unlikable and wrong. In reality, no baseball philosophy is close to 100% correct all the time. Eastwood's daughter(Adams) is a lawyer who hates Eastwood on the surface because he didn't care for typical responsible or girly interests like her. She is roped into helping her dad out because she hates him or loves or who cares. The real confusing character is her love interest through the movie, played by Timberlake, who is (no joke) a former pitching prospect who never made it big due to injury, asked to prove himself as a good scout for evaluating one player in order to become a Red Sox play by play broadcaster. Even those who know virtually nothing about baseball must know that this makes no sense. It turns out that the player both Timberlake and Eastwood/Adams are evaluating is the definition of stereotypical entitled sports jock. His lines of douchbaggery are laugh out loud bad and on the nose. His character at one point insists another player gets hit by a pitch so he can bat in the 9th inning. Douchebag threatens his teammate by saying his at bat has future major endorsement deals for douchebag at stake. Of course the jerk player also is projected by Eastwood and Adams as being unable to play in the big leagues because they think he will fail against real competition particularly the good MLB curve-balls, despite having great current statistics in high school(this concept actually isn't too unrealistic, but the movie lacks a sense of reality because everyone evil is bad at playing and evaluating baseball and every good is a perfect baseball analysis or player. They convince Timberlake not to draft the stereotypical jock player either, but The organization that Eastwood reports to(the Braves) ignores their report and drafts him anyway, make Timberlake thing he was manipulated into making a bad decision. Shortly after this disaster draft, Adams sees a kind young kid(who was bullied by the drafted jock earlier in the film) pitching to a friend. She immediately sees him as a future MLB pitcher and somehow is able to convince the Braves to sign him despite the kid never playing at a competitive level and her only being the daughter of mistrusted decrepit scout. What follows is the new pitcher and hitter facing off and the hitter failing.

Eastwood and his daughter are revealed to be brilliant. Adams and Timberlake reconcile, the end. The movie is really more like an irritating unrealistic feel good chick flix with some baseball and Eastwood playing baseball scout version of the same old character he has played the last 10 years.

The story just fails to spark an ounce of the interest of Moneyball because the story is constructed to show that good analysts are those who see past statistics into a player's heart. Good players on the field are always good off the field, and bad people are those who are self centered entitle jocks or young analysts who trust statistics. If someone knows anything about baseball, they will see these characters as the complete unbelievable agenda driven stereotypes and that they are. Almost every scout in real baseball uses a great deal of both new age statistics and old school scouting tactics, and this movie didn't even conjure this common scouting value as an option.(in case you think Moneyball displays no middle ground either, it's important to remember that moneyball took place earlier when new age statistics weren't commonly used by scouts like they are now. The depiction of the jock player is the most blatant example of an unrealistic one dimensional character. He really is portrayed like a sports star from an SNL skit. Moneyball doesn't stick perfectly to the book, but it is a much closer depiction of a story which is both more interesting and based on truth. Also moneyball's humor is on purpose and displays the subtle realities and often poignant qualities of baseball's unreliability.

Good story with great actors wand inexplicable flaws

Author: J Koskinen from United States
25 August 2014

This had all the makings of a very good movie. 3 solid stars in likable roles, good performances, and a nice storyline around baseball. What could go wrong? While they didn't take up more than a few minutes of screen time, the segments with the "5-tool can't miss prospect" were horrible. The whole Bo Gentry part of the movie felt like a bad after school special, topped off by the ridiculousness of the scout following him. It makes me wonder how a director or producer could watch that and not re cast and re shoot that whole part of the movie. Somehow those two minor roles cheapened everything about the movie and the good work of Adams, Eastwood, and Timberlake.

I liked it just because of good old Clint

Author: Peter Pluymers (peterp@cyberdude.com) from Kortessem, Belgium
11 March 2014

"What are you all staring at? I'm not a pole dancer."

Clint Eastwood (Gus) as a baseball scout. A moody old grump who seemingly only has eyes for baseball. He is getting older and his eyes are getting dramatically worse. So his best friend (nice guest star by John Goodman) asks Gus's daughter to assist her father. The new generation in the club where Gus is under contract, tries to relieve Gus. Matthew Lillard, of course, plays the role of the annoying smart ass. I don't know why, but this guy just has the charisma to put down such an annoying brat.

Despite the enormous accumulation of clichés and predictable courses, this movie could hold my attention until the end and I found it an enjoyable movie to watch. The poor father-daughter relationship, which is actually the main subject in this film, is of course fixed in the end. The pedantic nerd is obviously put in place and sacked. The lawyer who squeezed himself in a devious way in place of the daughter so he could lead a groundbreaking case, fails and the daughter finds her prince charming in the course of the story. So predictable, but for once not disturbing to me Perhaps a sign of my good taste (Just kidding), but it was only at the end that I knew the other scout was Justin Timberlake. All in all, he delivered an excellent performance here and briefly the words "maybe a bit of acting talent" came to me. In this movie he was more convincing than in "In Time" and he's anyway more palatable than 50Cent in whatever movie. Amy Adams played the role of teenage daughter, who has more baseball knowledge than it would seem, and is also fun to look at. And Robert Patrick has the honor to interpret the most satisfying action throughout the film : sack the sneaky Philip.

Conclusion : a beautiful entertaining romantic drama.

More reviews at http://opinion-as-a-moviefreak.blogspot.be/

Movie Review: Trouble With The Curve (2012) Don't Fall For This Pitch

Author: Ck dexterhaven from United States
3 August 2013

Gus (Clint Eastwood) is an aging scout for the Atlanta Braves, who is losing his eyesight from macular degeneration. Gus' daughter, Mickey (Amy Adams) is a lawyer, whose workaholic personality has her in line for a partnership at her law firm. Mickey tries to maintain a relationship with gruff old Gus, but he keeps his distance, just as she keeps her distance from perspective suitors. Gus has two months left on his contract as a scout, and the Braves ask him to go to North Carolina to scout a can't-miss prospect named Bo Gentry (Joe Massingil). The Red Sox have sent a scout, Johnny,(Justin Timberlake) to scout Bo. Johnny was a big-league pitcher until he ruined his arm. Now his last shot at glory is being a good scout which may lead to a job as an announcer. Mickey comes to North Carolina a few days later to help scout Bo with her ailing father. Johnny approaches the emotionally distant Mickey socially, but she seems disinterested. What does Gus think of the hot prospect? Does he resolve his issues with his estranged daughter?

I found Trouble With The Curve disingenuous and insincere. When I think of my favorite baseball movies, Bull Durham and The Natural to name two, they seem to revel in baseball lore. Bull Durham contrasts the dreams of minor leaguers to make it to "The Show" to the vision with a grizzled veteran, who's been to the big leagues and wants to go back, and does so with a lot of laughs. The Natural evokes an almost mystical vision of the mythic skills of a an aging veteran, just the histrionics of Roy Hobbs hitting a home run into the light tower and watching those lights exploding, the music, the magic bat, it all plays into the mythology of baseball, from farm boy to legend. Trouble With The Curve is just a series of clichés about baseball that are so obvious and so ham-handedly delivered, that it is obvious how the plot will unwind and how it will resolve itself.

I like Clint Eastwood a lot as an actor and director, and have for a long time, but he's gone to the grumpy curmudgeon well once too often. I compare this movie unfavorably to Gran Torino, Eastwood plays the same grumpy old man character, but that character is a lot more unpredictable and the resolution of that plot is a lot more satisfying. One more thing, the idea that the short, overweight Bo Gentry would be on any scouting list is an insult to even a casual baseball fan.

Amy Adams plays tough girl again, but this time the acting seems staged she is clearly uncomfortable with the baseball lingo, and she even seems uncomfortable with Eastwood. The romance with Timberlake does not work, and she has no chemistry at all with Timberlake. Timberlake is an awful actor, who has no natural cadence when he tries to act. The guy has a look on his face that says," Look at me, I'm cool." Trust me, his acting is not cool. The pacing is slow and the movie is long, and in the end, this movie is not worth the effort it takes to watch it.

Trouble With The Curve. Don't fall for this pitch.

for hundreds more movie reviews, check out my blog reviewswithatude.wordpress.com

Disappointing! 4/10

Author: leonblackwood from United Kingdom
28 July 2013

Review: Speaking as a big Clint Eastwood fan, I did find this movie to be quite disappointing and boring in parts. Clint is playing his usual miserable self alongside his daughter Amy Adams who puts in a good performance for what she had to work with. Justin wasn't bad as the love interest, but his acting style seems to be very one dimensional. The problem with the film is the storyline which was a bit bland for a Clint movie. There wasn't anything that made it exciting or different from other baseball movies, but there is a touch of wit which will make you chuckle. I expected more to be honest. Average!

Round-Up: After Clint Eastwood announced his retirement from acting after making Gran Torino, there was a lot of people who shocked and upset, but this was the wrong movie to pick to come out of retirement with. I was surprised that I never heard anything from Hollywood about this film because of the big cast, but after watching it, I can understand. I just hope that Clint comes out with another movie soon because this is definitely not the one to be remembered for.

Budget: N/A Worldwide Gross: $49million

I recommend this movie to people who are into there baseball movies with a bit of romance and drama. 4/10