IMDb > A Dark Truth (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Truth

A Dark Truth More at IMDbPro »The Truth (original title)

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

A tad disappointing...

Author: Richard Gonci (gonci@comcast.net) from United States
22 December 2012

I generally agree with other reviews of this film in terms of weak writing and lugubrious direction. I am rating it higher primarily because it actually has real actors in the cast, hence you can watch it without having a gag-reflex. Also, the cinematography was better than average in this genre.

While there was nothing original in the plot structure, the moral ambiguity expressed through several key characters was somewhat refreshing...though, not fully resolved.

Sadly, the fine actor, Andy Garcia, is not properly exploited in this film. He comes across less than fully dimensional. The director went to a gold mine and barely got silver.

In the end, not a waste of the viewer's time, but more an appetizer than an entrée.

A Current Story Which Needs Telling

Author: Scott7411 from United States
2 January 2013

This is the first I've seen of movies on the particular subject of what major international corporations such as Bectel are doing to underdeveloped countries as regards their water. Well done treatment, great cast, excellent acting. No hamming or sensationalism, no gratuitous violence (not that there isn't enough to tell the story). Perhaps other reviewers don't consider water as exciting as blood diamonds or oil or uranium. Perhaps it's not. But it's certainly more important. This fictional presentation of the issue is a good start toward expanding popular awareness of one of the biggest problems facing us in this new century.

Not water shortages, critical though they are. Rather, soulless, nationless corporate greed. Seven out of ten.

An Alarm Bell......Now That Your Awake

Author: LeonLouisRicci from United States
3 January 2013

On the surface, this contemporary assault on corporate maleficence is enough to make its point. But the subject matter is a complicated affair that is lacking in this movie that feels rushed.

Messing about in third world countries and designing destinies built on precious resources and manipulating the environment is a heavy undertaking and the suffering of the population by these all too insensitive entities is a problem that is beginning to take shape and needs to be addressed.

It is attempted here as an action film with scruples and it does have its heart in the right place. But the very low budget and the glossy attempt to intertwine multi-national business interest and investigative journalism is a bit too much to maintain in this noble but shallow effort.

The name Actors are probably here for their moral support and do add a level of authenticity to the cause, but there just isn't enough depth pursued or motivations on either side to justify the broad concept that it is at hand here.

It plays like a short story or a magazine article. Enough to tantalize an interest in the matter but not enough to be at all convincing. It does open up the subject and allows some light if not insight into this very disturbing situation.

A Dark Turkey

Author: Michael_Elliott from Louisville, KY
2 January 2013

A Dark Truth (2012)

* 1/2 (out of 4)

A real misfire of a film about a South American town where a large group of people become sick after sewage gets in their drinking water. To cover up the crime the military executes the survivors but a couple (Forest Whitaker, Eva Longoria) survive and soon an ex-CIA agent (Andy Garcia) is trying to rescue them and get their story out. A DARK TRUTH is a really bad movie in several ways but a lot of the blame has to go to writer-director Damian Lee who just doesn't come up with a very interesting story or a good way to tell it. There are so many problems with the story itself that you have to wonder why he elected to go with a fake story instead of getting something real. This is basically just a message picture where once again greed turns people into evil monsters over a natural resource. The problem is that the film just wants to preach its message without giving us a story or characters to really care about. The film bounces around from the jungles to the high-top people trying to cover up the crime and also gives us flashbacks to the CIA agent working as a radio host giving off various speeches. None of this comes together in any way, shape or form and in the end this movie just ends up dragging to the point where the viewer will be wanting to hit the stop button. It doesn't help that there are some pretty boring directorial choices and especially when it comes to the editing. Just check out the scenes between Garcia and his wife were the edits back and forth between them are so annoying that you just want to scream. I will say that the performances are better than average but then again we've got a group of professionals here. With that said, their work can't come close to saving this turkey.

A Dark Trurh

Author: jennifer_bun from Silver Spring, MD
28 January 2013

POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT: Okay, so I just watched this movie. I was pleasantly surprised. From the horrible reviews, I thought it would be the worst movie I've ever seen. Actually, I didn't think it was that bad. Was it the best movie I've ever seen? No, but it wasn't the worst, either.

Let's get the negative out of the way first. The family subplot for Begosian added nothing. I think it would have been better if they had spent the time exploring the relationship between Bruce and Morgan Swinton (Deborah Unger and Kim Coates). Were there plausibility issues. Sure, but isn't that a problem with all films. Another "dark truth" is that reality can be boring, especially with heavy topics like this. The acting was universally excellent.

Finally,(and this is the reason I give it a high score) I was CLUELESS about this topic before I saw this, and I'm convinced this is a large reason it was created, to publicize the issue. On this they were successful.

And oh yeah, I never saw the end coming.

The only problem I have is also warning to parents. This is very violent film. Much more violent than I thought it would be. .

a great, but predictably underrated film

Author: robtromp from United States
16 April 2013

This is one of those films that was obviously a labor of love for many of the folks involved. There are some incredible performances, and a great and believable story here. It's the kind of story that deserves to be a cherished bedtime story of the modern age - one of knights in tarnished armor who do what is within their power to resist the relentless pull of greed, selfishness, and fear - and surprisingly live to tell the tale, on a broadcast network no less! One only prays the hope conveyed here is realistic.

I am amazed that reviews of under 10 lines are not accepted. It seems that IMDb has decreed that brevity is not the soul of wit, and only when we drone on and on and on about our particular spin can we be deemed worthy of immortalization in their hallowed database. Thus having achieved immortality, I bid thee, "Adieu".

A movie that has the possibility to change things. Needs to be seen but plays like a story from 60 Minutes. I say B+

Author: Tony Heck (cosmo_tiger@hotmail.com) from United States
28 February 2013

"When you can't affect change from within, I mean positive change, you have an obligation if you're at all conscious to get out and try other things." Jack Begosian (Garcia) is a former CIA operative who is now a talk show host talking about important issues. Bruce Swinton (Coates) is the head of a large corporation who has just found out about a huge problem with his company and a local African community. When his sister wants him to tell the truth he fights her and she hires Jack to go in and expose what is going on in the country. This is a very important movie that should be seen by more people then will actually see it. Very engrossing and informative and worth seeing. The only real problem I have is that it plays almost more like a Dateline or 60 Minutes type story then a movie. I'm not saying that that is a bad thing but that's what I was reminded of. The acting is great and I recommend this but be ready for this type of movie. Overall, a very important movie that may have the possibility to change things. I give it a B+.

You have to wonder how junk like this gets made.

Author: Hairy Buddah (HairyBuddah@gmail.com) from Seattle, WA
4 December 2012

There are some decent high profile actors in this turkey. Do they really need the money that badly? Are they doing a favor for a friend - "Hey, my kid is directing this movie, would you be in it for me? I'll do one for your next year . . . . " Maybe the whole project looks different before the cameras actually start rolling.

The direction in this is terrible. The pace is ridiculously show and the look is very stagey. "You two stand over there and take turns reading these sentences."

It is filled with self-important, self-righteous, overwrought people who have all been horribly wronged by an evil corporation and a corrupt government. Woah. That's original. Really hard hitting stuff. Corporations are evil. We would be so much better off in the world without them.

Too bad. I was looking forward in particular to see Kim Coates outside of his Sons of Anarchy role, Andy Garcia is a good actor, and I am a huge fan of Forest Whitaker. But this thing was dumb, dumb, dumb. Poorly written, poorly directed. Decent production values. It looks professional. That's the only reason I gave it the three stars.

(some) Can't handle the truth

Author: kosmasp
10 July 2013

The casting of the movie is incredible. Which is always the case when a message is being delivered. It's not too much on the nose here or at least it is incorporated into the story quite good. The actors you know do what they can. Eva Longoria might have the least to do (especially considering her name/weight). It's nice seeing some old familiar faces in a movie, where they try to build character.

There is quite a bit of cliché in this, but you wouldn't/couldn't expect otherwise. Kevin Durand has a great little role in it and he makes his decision, no matter how small or big they are, actually work. Apart from that it's mostly the Andy Garcia show, with some added drama by Kara Unger and Forrest Whitacker. A nice little drama, with a lot of action in it.

WOW! imagine my surprise!

Author: imizrahi2002 from Netherlands
17 March 2013

I just saw this movie and thoroughly enjoyed it. And, yes. I agree with the lead review that it WAS formulaic. But i STILL found it enjoyable. If for no other reason than the political/industrial plot at the center of it all. I hope I NEVER lose interest in seeing a movie of this sort, a movie with 'a message'. It's more than funny that people would actually review this as they would a 'regular' movie. alTHOUGH, once again, I feel it worked on both levels. As a piece of entertainment and as an informative piece. I'm pretty sure the makers of the film did it that way to make the message more digestible/palatable. Especially considering that one of them is Garcia, born in Cuba. I gave it a 9(I would've usually given it an 8, relative to other movies. Still...i try to see anything with a 6.5 rating or above... just so you understand that this is still a high mark)to balance out all of the people who, for whatever reason/s, didn't seem to enjoy it as much as i did... btw people. if you have trouble accepting the premise of this movie then i advise you to read howard zinn's 'a people's history of the u.s.' good night and good luck.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]