IMDb > The Liability (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Liability More at IMDbPro »

Best British Crime Drama of 2012/13

Author: tgryffin from Delaware
25 January 2013

Although sometimes aimless, "The Liablity" wonderfully weaves an intelligent story of Adam (Jack O'Connell) by playing to the actor's strengths (slow humor, immaturity, cockiness, and a buckets of empathy). When Adam is asked to become the "driver" for his step-dad's hit-man, we run into Roy (Tim Roth) who also does an excellent job. Tim Roth plays the critical role of reality check for the viewer, questioning Adam at every point, giving the movie a great sense of character depth during the dialogues.

In the 'day-and-age' of re-hashed Guy Richie British crime movies, with the same actors, playing the same roles, its really refreshing to see movie that doesn't rely on the same-old intersecting plots, with inconceivable charters. "The Liablity" is also supported by a great soundtrack, some great industrial-cinematography, and solid writing, overall 8/10 and well worth watching.

Think of it as catcher-in-the-rye meets > Léon: The Professional > meets > Skins.

A light look at the retirement of a hit man. Just OK

Author: kenyajon from United Kingdom
5 March 2013

Tim Roth plays a hit man on his final job before his daughter gets married. Adam (Jack O'Connell) is an annoying 19 year old who accidentally discovers that his step father is more depraved than he thought. After crashing his step father's Mercedes, he is in his debt and he is given a job as a driver to pay him back. His contact is Roy (Tim Roth) and they go on Roy's last hit together. Wanting to be part of the gangster culture, Adam asks to be more than just a driver and things start to go wrong, especially when 'the girl' gets involved.

The film is quite light hearted, considering its content and, at times is comical. Both lead actors play their parts quite well and create an enjoyable partnership. The storyline is a little week and everything that can go wrong, does goes wrong. I found myself rooting for Adam in the end and, despite being a professional killer, Roth's character is quite appealing.

Overall, a mediocre film that I will not watch again but it was reasonably enjoyable, light hearted and funny in places.

Definitely Worth Watching

Author: CharlieHound from Ireland
27 January 2013

Totally unbelievable... but humorous! I still can't decide if it's supposed to be a comedy, a thriller or a gangster movie, or all of the above... Or whether it was just a bit of tongue-in-cheek fun for the writer.

The movie contains a complete mishmash of actors. It's like Laurel and Hardy meets Reservoir Dogs and everything about it is just so wrong but somehow it works! I think Tim Roth is the reason this movie worked so well. The guy is an excellent actor. Jack O'Connell played a fairly good part, too, and even though the movie was quite predictable, it was well worth the watch.

Definitely worth 7/10

excellent

Author: gth-buildmain from United Kingdom
26 January 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed this film, i was under no illusion that it would be a typical high budget unrealistic disaster and that is why i watched it! i enjoy watching home grown talent in familiar scenery that is well acted, with good plots, good screen plays that suit the actor and do the movie justice. So i personally would disregard the previous comment and give it a watch because i do not know what film he or she were viewing, and it is definatelly not film noir. Tim roth its nice to see you back on form, jack o'connell i thought you did a sterling job, but remember one thing please and that is do not become a danny dyer and become chained to one director because you have a bright future.

Roth Makes it Work

Author: billcr12 from United States
24 March 2013

Tim Roth stars in The Liability as a hired assassin who takes on a rich gangster boss's stepson on as a driver. The nineteen year old boy, Adam, is eager to learn about the criminal world. Roy(Roth) has the kid drive to a desolate area for a hit. His first test is to cut off the victims hand with an axe to emulate the pattern of a serial killer preying on the area. A beautiful woman with no name (Talulah Riley), a stunning actress, by the way, shows up and throws a monkey wrench into the crime scene. It then becomes a cat and mouse game between the three with some violent moments with occasional dry British humor mixed in. The three main players are all excellent, and although the ending is a bit too predictable, Roth's laid back wise ass attitude makes the film worth watching.

Enjoyable movie if you keep in mind it's more of a dark comedy.

Author: badttboy from United States
8 February 2013

This movie should be promoted as a Comedy/Thriller and not as an Action. It is dark comedy and the plot is very unbelievable. The plot was going really good until the Latvian woman appeared from out of nowhere in a remote area. Then to realize later on in the other scenes that she knew and was hunting one of them. How did she find them in the first place and it was presented as an innocent meeting as she appeared to be a lone bag packing hiker/camper and not someone prepared in any way to be on the hunt for villains. If that was not enough, she continued to keep finding in other scenes every time they got separated as if she was using a tracking device or had psychic powers. Oh well. Lucky I did not have much expectations for the plot as I have learned not to anymore or I end up not enjoying a movie. But I felt I had to leave a comment here as I believe it could have been a really great movie had the writer/director taken the time to make some easy logical changes to make it believable. Too bad they did not. Would have then been picked up and done well in the theaters.

Perfect, enjoyable entertainment

Author: brunetu from Romania
25 May 2013

This movie is a good break from usual Hollywood ones, in that it doesn't try to artificially fuel suspense (so the pace is not rushed, but at the same time you never get bored - you keep wondering what's next).

The story may not be very original (it's above average TV movies though and it's told in an original style, letting the viewer understand the situation one step at a time), but it's surprising at every step, like good entertaining (especially a thriller movie) should be.

The actors' play is much better than TV-class movies' as well. Although this movie is not meant to be deep (it's not very philosophical, and that's the only flaw I see in it), it does develop the characters (lets the viewer discover them by means of their actions) gradually and you'll be surprised by how much so they evolve from beginning to end.

I'm not a film critic, but I watch a lot of movies and as the other reviews don't give much justice to this movie, I thought I should step in. So this is just me voicing my opinion. I'm also not a native English speaker.

Hit man meets divot with darkly humorous results

Author: FiveHundredFlicks from United Kingdom
30 January 2013

It's always difficult to watch a film set in locations you know. Sometimes it works and adds a layer of reality to what is after all, just a story.

And what a story.

If you are in anyway familiar with the sort of character Adam is, played brilliantly by Jack O'Connell, you will know hat I mean when I say "Hit man meets divot" because Adam is a div. A chav. Know worra meen? Yuh get me? Adam is an archetype of what's become of working class youth in Britain: feckless, not very bright, sometimes likable but ultimately, a liability.

As the film plays out there are genuine laughs and some really dark moments. Some expected and some totally unexpected.

The Liability is an instant classic but let's hope that it's not a cult classic and it has the exposure to the mainstream that it needs.

7/10 go see it.

The Last Hit-man

Author: kosmasp
27 October 2013

As the German title suggests ... though it does sound a bit like doomsday or something else. Whatever you think of a title, "Liability" is more accurate than the German title. The thriller is pretty straight forward. The story is self explanatory, but Tim Roth does add a lot of Gravita to it. You could almost say he kind of saves the movie all by himself, even though the female lead is beautiful.

The female lead might have a reason for being on screen, but ultimately she is just put on. The very ending feels like it is being dropped on the viewer, which is a bad feeling. The main bad guy, does a great job, but he isn't on screen that much, which is kind of a shame. A nice little thriller, nothing more nothing less

A film I'd like to make myself

Author: OJT from Norway
21 November 2013

A little indie gem this from Britain, with a good Tim Roth in the center as a worn out disillusioned hit-man, but it's Peter Mullan which steals the show, with a delightfully nasty big shot criminal.

There's many reasons to like this, if you don't expect this to be an action flick. It's wrongfully labeled so, but this is a a crime drama, or really a road movie, Coen/Tarantino style. 1) Unpredictable mysterious plot (gives a good ride) 2) Great cool acting (stung cool play by all, but the naive Liability) 3) Extinguished filming (lots if great angles and smart details) 4) Delightful score (sophisticated, punky and dirty, would search out several songs) 5) Classic cars (loved the use and filming of the Granada Ghia) And there's more to it. I found myself feeling it as a cozy road movie which we expect to go wrong for some. Lovely lingering excitement, taking you to the next stop on the route.

If you like one of them smart little films with no extra fuzz, just great talent, this is it!