IMDb > The Liquidator (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Liquidator More at IMDbPro »Likvidator (original title)

awful

Author: Samuel Faulkner from United Kingdom
29 August 2012

This is a film starring Vinnie Jones and he does not have one line. He only appears in the movie for about 10 minutes in total and does not play an interesting character.

Very bad cinematography.

Camera constantly changing angle, shaking,cutting between camera angles, zooming in and out randomly.

This and a poor storyline which was difficult to follow made this not worth watching, at all.

I usually like to add something positive about a film but nothing in this film was worth praising.

Avoid

False Advertising

Author: Andrew Lee
7 September 2012

Well one look at the poster and you would think Vinnie Jones is the leading actor in this. However that is not the case he does not show up till the end for what is more like a guest appearance. It's obvious they used Vinnie Jones just to drive their sales. People wonder why piracy exist and this is a grade A example! Really if I could do it over I would not even download this movie.

I want my 90 minuets & my 2$ back that it cost for me to rent this garbage. If I could get my 90 minuets back I'd so something far more enjoyable like sticking my hand in a wood chipper.

The acting is horrible and it makes me wonder how much they paid Vinnie Jones to appear in this disastrous thing that I won't even classify as a movie.

This movie is fantastic in context of its own genre.

Author: Yaroslav Zaitsev (yarik83) from NJ
31 July 2013

If you know anything about cinema then you will know that Hollywood is not the only entity to produce movies. As such every country has their own actors and producers and directors and filming crew. Every country does it their own way using whatever budget they have.

Having lived in Kazakhstan for a year this movie is very dear to me because I actually went to Alma-Ty a few times during my stay. That being said let's look at what this movie has to offer.

As one might guess this movie was filmed in Kazakhstan and in Russian language. Before collapse of USSR a lot of Russians were stationed there so naturally that is why you see Asian people intermixed with Caucasian people. Movie is obviously in Russian so all documents and text and screens and news and whatever else are all in Russian. This has not been filmed for American audience and why should it? Americans do not watch foreign cinema so for those of you getting all bent out of shape over how much time so and so had on the screen, rest assured that any man getting paid to do his job will not refuse it, even if it is a bad movie he is starring in. Money is money.

In this case movie is actually very good. Make no mistake this is not a masterpiece but in the context of the genre and in the context of audience it was targeted for this is a film noir, law and order/Bourne flavored movie. We have the guy who seeks justice and dialog is actually very relevant to the movie. I have not watched dubbed version so I watched this in its native tongue and in Russian dialog was right on point. It was not fake, it was not contrived... it was very real and right to the point.

Some notable things about the movie. You saw an obvious clash of cultures. You have the traditionalist Kazakh society and then western influence so that comes with night clubs and fancy cars as one might expect. Another thing to point out is that this movie was not blown out of proportions. This was about a guy trying to do what he thinks is the right thing. I actually miss that. In Hollywood storyline is always side tracked by love interests and other irrelevant topics.

If you can live with the fact that this movie is in Russian and was filmed for Russians and appreciate it in that context then you will enjoy this movie quite a bit.

Not bad as expected

Author: Viva_Chiba from Land of the dead
7 March 2013

I expected a real turd by reading other comments here and i decided to check the movie by myself and it wasn't as bad as expect, this is not really an "action" movie, it's a thriller with some brief action scenes (mostly fights and gunfights) thrown in, the plot was good enough to not bore and the film had some good twists.

Unfortunately, the editing for the action scenes is mediocre (a bit like the Bourne series), but at least, there is no shaky cam.

Everybody here seems to be disappointed by the fact that Vinnie Jones isn't the main character (despite being top billed in the cover, he has less than 15 minutes of screen time and he has no lines), but the other actors did a good job.

Now i'm looking forward to see other action movies from Kazakhstan, i'm pretty sure that they have a lot to offer.

Not a bad story and very good action sequences.

Author: mark-flyfisherman-998-524527 from United Kingdom
11 May 2014

The fight scenes are well choreographed and the cinematography is a lot better than some more well known offerings. Ignore the Vinnie Jones picture on the promotional material as its inaccurate depiction of him as the main star is neither here nor there and certainly doesn't detract from the movie. As an Englishman I am rather pleased that Vinnie Jones did not appear as billed. He is, in my opinion, not a great actor and if he had taken a more major role then the film would be all the worse for it. This is a good film that also gives an insight into a different culture and landscape and it has a story that can be followed easily enough, given the good subtitles and the genre clichés that are used to good effect. OK so there is nothing very original about The Liquidator but as an introduction to the Kazakhstan film industry it leaves me hoping more, ever improving, movies of international appeal will soon be forthcoming.

Waste of time

Author: kantone from Chicago, IL.
16 September 2012

The only reason I rated it 2, was because of the few fight scenes. The movie is pointless and drags with wasted dialog just to fill screen time. They use false advertising with Vinnie Jones face on the box cover, but he had less impact and screen time as one of the off-screen key grips for the movie!

I had to write this article to warn people not to be mislead. I checked IMDb's rating breakdown and it has 38 users voting this movie as a 10. You know those users are paid individuals or associated with the movie. So do not always believe the super ratings on IMDb. To verify the user's credibility, always check how many movies they have rated and if their ratings are always 7 or above, talking about how great some of these non-blockbuster movies are.

well thought out action movie

Author: brulenewhall from United States
8 September 2012

I watched this film not really expecting much, I got far more than I hoped for. firstly a couple of things you should know:

1) Vinnie Jones only does a cameo role, but thats a good thing in my opinion.

2) This film is from Kazahkstan, I assume the actors are also. I like world cinema, again no bad thing.

For me this film was a real discovery, the plot was well thought out and fairly easy to follow. There were enough twists for it to stay interesting throughout. Fight scenes were good and kept realistic. The dialogue was good, characters engaging and the cinematography looked gritty (I'm no expert but I know when something looks crap). I would actually consider visiting Kazahkstan off the back of watching this movie, it looked like a cool place.

Heartily recommend The Liquidator, very good action movie, better than a lot of stuff coming out of the UK and the states. I really enjoyed it.

Glad they use Vinnie in a Cameo for marketing. Surprisingly good.

Author: ips138 from United Kingdom
7 November 2014

So... like most people started watching this because of Vinnie in the front cover. Well.. there is a 60 seconds Vinnie Cameo. Vinnie at no point features holding onto a shotgun. They used it as a marketing strategy to get you and me to see it. And I'm glad because the movie is very good (where most in the genre just don't cut it these days). Decent acting. It's the old story you hurt my family, I hurt you more. But interesting with morals and a twist within the story. I believe anyone could understand the main character's reasons. The movie goes from the revenge plot to a... liquidator plot. Solving nasties in the business. Enjoyed it.

Disappointed

Author: bounce-rubbish from Australia
23 September 2012

I was unable to watch this movie through to the end the first time I watched it- it was that disappointing for me. The second time I watched it was also not from start to finish, but from where I left off.

I found the dialogue fragmented, disjointed and not a lot of acting coherence. The fight scenes were well done, but the broken rhythm of dialogue just left me cold

I was possibly was also turned off by the dubbed over voices as they just didn't seem to suit the characters - but it still didn't hold my attention even when I muted the sound. (one of my tests on whether a movie has any substance is to also watch it as a silent movie and see whether the acting and cinematography alone can hold my attention)

It started out great, but failed to keep up what it started...

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
27 August 2013

For a movie taking place in Kazakhstan, then there was a surprisingly large congregation of Asians everywhere. I just didn't understand that aspect of the movie. It didn't matter where were were in the movie, be it airport, restaurant, police station, theater, etc., then there were heaps of Asians everywhere.

Regardless, then this action thriller had potential, and "The Liquidator" was interesting to an extend. I made it to about one hour into the movie, then it was like all air just deflated from the balloon and the movie became a drag to sit through and it became irritating to sit through.

The story is about Arsen (played by Aitzhanov Berik) who, upon the news of his brothers death, starts a personal vendetta against those responsible, leaving both the law enforcement and the criminals in a stupor as he goes about doing his act of vengeance.

There was a good feeling to the movie, but then it was as if the director wanted to make the storyline too complex and weave more threads interwoven with one another, leaving the audience in the dark. And it just became too much, killing off the suspense that the movie had built up, not to mention killing off the actual enjoyment of the movie.

I will say that the actors in the movie did good jobs with their given roles, and this does count heavily in favor for the movie.

It was a shame that the tried to take on too much towards the last third part, resulting in a confusing and rather pointless mess, because "The Liquidator" really did have potential to be a great action thriller.