IMDb > "The Following" (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Following"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Following" More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 36: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Writers doomed this series

Author: murgmat
19 December 2015

The Following is a rock solid produced series. Camera, sound, color grading is at todays state of the art. Nothing special but well made. The cast is pretty good, special Kevin Bacon is a class of its own. The story line itself has huge potential, but the writes just destroyed the whole series. As you might read in nearly every other user rating here, the plot is so ridiculous. The FBI acts like total noobs, the whole story is simply unbelievable. No police officers worldwide would make such foolish mistakes letting the wanted persons escape every single episode, period. And it seems that every second person introduced is part of the evil guys. This series has the most stupid and unbelievable plot I ever did see. I feel sorry for the whole cast that has to perform in such a bad written storyline. One star for the well produced series, one for Mr. Bacon and one for having introduced the wonderful actress Valorie Curry to me.

How somebody can like this show is something I will never understand

Author: The Couchpotatoes from Belgium
9 February 2016

I don't know how I did it to watch the three seasons without smashing my television. Sometimes I wonder why I do that to myself. I know I'm not a masochist so why do I pain myself for so long with this piece of thrash? There is absolutely nothing good about The Following. I can't imagine the script writers getting paid for that, let alone that it is their actual job and main resource in life. Because seriously If I was them I would be searching for a new job somewhere far away from anything related to series. For three seasons you have almost every single episode that is almost the same scenario. Psychotic killer has a plan killing some people and / or FBI agents, FBI agents use their big brother cameras and software to find a location where the psychos are, the whole squad goes to that location but somehow Kevin Bacon is always the only one ending chasing one of the numerous psychos, or they are just 5 minutes late, then the killers are mad because their dumb plan failed and they call in another killer they know. That's about the dumb story of every episode. If the real FBI agents would watch this show they probably will feel a lot of shame because they are portrayed as probably the dumbest service on earth. The killers are also very stupid even though they make them to look smart but honestly they are just dumb. The acting is the same as the script writing, just awful. You kind of want every character to die just because you hate them. Kevin Bacon is supposed to be the star but to me he's just confirming that he is a below average actor. I was hoping for a definite ending after season three but it's an open ending. I really doubt they will make a fourth season because I think the producers can also see this show is a disaster. If they make a fourth season it will be definitely without my viewing. The amount of time I wasted watching this garbage is already painful enough.

worst show to date

Author: WoodBangers Entertainment from United States
1 November 2015

Okay I've watched every season several times and truly tried to enjoy this show, yet it is impossible. First off I cannot stand the actor Kevin Bacon, everything he is in just seems to have this over acting, not fitting the part type of vibe to it. The only reason I gave this show such a shot is I'm a fan of Valorie Curry's and it is very sad to see she keeps ending up in shows like this.

This show had everything to be a great show, a great soundtrack, a great idea for a story; yet the scripts made all of the feds look like complete idiots, and of course Mr. Bacon's character was the whole focus point/hero/etc. Very poorly put together from the get go, I was hoping I was just missing something so I watched it over and over on many different days and nights on the just in case I just was having an off night; sadly this show is just a flop.

I'm finishing up all of the seasons again today and not once has anything I saw in the show or felt about how good or bad it was has changed. I even looked at other user reviews to see if maybe they saw something that I didn't though everyone has the same view on it. So much potential yet not enough of stability in scripts/acting/ or a show. How did something this bad go on so long when some of the greatest shows get shut off when they get rolling.

I think the only good thing that come from watching this show it is proves that Valorie Curry plays a great villain role and is a remarkable actress and she deserves to be in better films.

Nope

Author: shurgee from United States
11 March 2015

This show got annoyingly implausible in a New York minute!

From the fumbling and bumbling FBI agents, to the league of adoring fans so large a good 50% of the town is off-their-medication crazy following a guy whose charisma is yet to be seen, to the ex-wife taking the dumbest "risks", to...

Kevin Bacon's acting is superb but most of the characters seem to have bizarre one-track minds. It's like the writers fell asleep and the cameras started rolling so they went fishing for a plot but didn't find one.

Seriously, it is that bad. And no, increasing the number of flash- back scenes does not make it a more interesting show. It only adds a sprinkling of info to an already bored audience.

So watch the first 2 episodes tops and then find another show. You are warned!

Created this account to tell you to stay away

Author: michael-989-559082
1 May 2014

Intrigued by the premise and the pilot, I cannot believe how terribly dumb this show has become. Like others here, made it only to episode six, removed it from my watchlist, washed my hands of it, and watched Silence of the Lambs again.

There are enough scenes in college campuses and frats and dorms combined with hopelessly banal readings from college lit 101 combined with a naive understanding of how real people work in real jobs plus all the sexual confusion/frustration/experimentation that I can't believe this wasn't written by someone fresh out of college.

I'm surprised the groupies chilling at the sorority house weren't doing beer pong and jello shots while waiting for their guru.

Stay away.

Don't waste your time. Awful portrayal of villains.

Author: Rina C from Virginia Beach, VA
23 March 2014

It's almost unfair to rate it horrible because it does start with so much potential! Could've really been 8 stars for the first couple of episodes. But after the 6th or 7th episode, the show ceased to effectively cast a suspension of disbelief and I was left going "No way in hell would that even occur in real life". It just stopped being relatable. I couldn't even hate the villains, they just became annoying and all the good guys had their IQ's drop to 50.

Joe, the main antagonist and mastermind can't hold a candle to Hannibal Lecter. But he did start off as quite interesting. But then you realize he's just another crazy person with mommy issues. Also has delusions of self-proclaimed greatness to stroke his ego. Disappointing.

Things got so annoying that by the 6th episode I really just stopped caring if the kid or his mom got killed. That's when the show lost me. Now I'm writing this as a warning so you don't waste your time. But if you need something to play in the background on Netflix while you're cleaning or doing laundry, I found the show tolerable then.

a flashback within a flashback? really?

Author: jack_at_the_movies from United States
1 March 2014

Good Lord! I can't understand why they would pick this show up for another season! It's soooo bad. The plot is so ludicrous and full of holes, I won't even bother pointing out how. It's been done by multiple other reviewers anyway. I will just say: what a disappointment after waiting to see this show on Netflix! and yes, there are so many lame flashbacks that i think the writers may have forgotten they writing a flashback and stuck another flashback in that one! I was kinda hoping they would go for the trifecta...

Okay, One example of general lameness and why it's nearly impossible to suspend disbelief: in episode six of the first season, Ryan Hardy and his special buddy are running into a crowded mall or some large building chasing the baddie. But do they stop to call for backup? Knowing that they have the full force of the FBI, SWAT, NSA, local PD, etc. at their finger tips? Naaaah, calling for backup would take too long! Nobody's got time for that! So they run into the building, find the bad guy, and lose the bad guy (surprise). Yep, Mr. Bum Ticker would rather run up and down stairs chasing the baddie when he could call for a hundred other cops with the iPhone in his freaking pocket! Now cut to the next scene. Cops everywhere! Surrounding the building! After the serial killer from death row who just killed 2 people flew away in a freaking helicopter! how the frak are we supposed to take this sh-- seriously?! In the real world, if some maniac of such epic proportions somehow managed to escape prison, there would be such a dragnet, there would be no way for him to escape. Roads would be closed, state borders would be watched, any communications deemed important would be monitored.

The first episode was decent and I thought this might be a worthwhile show, but I started noticing things were devolving quickly. Honestly, I am insulted by this show. DIdn't expect Breaking Bad level of brilliance coming in, but these writers, if you wanna call them that, have no respect for their craft or their audience.

This is by far the most ridiculous show I've ever seen in my entire life. It's a mess!

Author: ezmoney185 from United States
1 March 2014

I tried watching this series. I actually do not like to start something and not finish it. By episode 5 I could care less about what happened to any character in the entire story. It was a miserable story line and regardless of what everyone else was saying. The actors were awful. 2 out of the 3 black characters were killed off easily The story was redundant and predictable. Please don't waste your time on such poor quality material. I gave this show chance after chance to redeem itself. Finally out of frustration with the weak plot.. mid episode 5 I said enough. No longer would I put myself through this unnecessary punishment. I deserve better. Omg this was by far the worst series I've watched in my entire life.

Good Vs. Evil becomes Incompetent anti-hero Vs. Relentless, "sexy" killers.

Author: ihatespike from PA
8 February 2014

This show is truly the poster child for wasted potential.

A host of good actors, a great setup and an intriguing plot get utterly decimated in only a matter of episodes, and I promise you it is all downhill from there. The good guys are always a step behind, portrayed as either broken, unlikable husks of humanity, idealists who fail nonstop in their efforts or weak idiots, trampled like chaff under the bloody paws of any victimizer that comes their way.

The ruthless, God-awful murderers (no matter what pittance of denouncing they receive in-word-only), are glorified: the show wastes no time in painting them as cultured, sexy, sensitive, alternative, boisterous and even loving.

Flawed heroes are not the same as broken heroes-there is no one worth rooting for in this show (as awesome as Kevin Bacon and Shawn Ashmore are, in this they are painfully incompetent and depressingly scarred) Sympathetic villains are not the same as glorified villains-if your story is not a tale of redemption then do NOT glitz up your killers, it's repulsive and desensitizes you if you keep watching.

This show is offensive and exhausting when it comes to the portrayal of the battle between good and evil-it reminds me of Dark Helmet's line in Spaceballs; " So, Lonestar, now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb."

I give this show two points because most of the acting is good and it has no issues with visual style. On the whole though, watching it will make you feel dirty, like you're complicit in murder, and unsafe, like the authorities are all one banana peel away from slipping up and letting hordes of murderers loose.

Awful series which blows logic to pieces in Episode 6

Author: kuuk3 from United Kingdom
5 February 2014

I have never hated a show more than I when I watched episode 6 of this series. I was willing to suspend disbelief during episodes 1-5 on the bases that there needs to be plot development and character arcs. But it appeared that they wrote themselves into a plot hole in episode 6 so suddenly we have US Marines, US Marshalls, FBI Agents, a Prison guard and at least seven other psychopaths all turning traitor and not a single reason for why any of them would do what they did in this episode!!!

It makes me so furious that I immediately stopped the DVD player, threw the disc back in the box and put it straight on the 'for sale' pile.

Ignoring how a serial killer on death row can be allowed visits by all these people, and how the prison can not even be bothered to write down their names for the visitors book is beyond common sense. They shouldn't be allowed any visitors! But the level of incompetency and stupidity hit an all-time high in this episode and I just had to warn anyone thinking of watching it - don't.

The first five episodes you stick with it thinking this is okay, not great but okay. And then episode 6 happens and you realise how much time you just wasted watching those first five episodes. Its beyond forgiving and definitely doesn't deserve to be followed.