IMDb > "The Following" (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Following"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Following" More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 31: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

I Tried to Watch, Just to be with my wife.

Author: Eric-Fleetwood from Dana Point, CA United States
17 May 2014

I tried to stay in the room, just to be able to spend time with my wife after dinner. Unfortunately, I know some of the elements of plot creation, one of which is to put the main character up a tree, then get him down. In "The Following" that artifice is so transparent that I cannot watch. As with other reviewers, I find most of the decisions made by Ryan to be contrived to put him "up a tree" again. For example (spoiler alert) first, he tosses his cell phone(Oh, no! What a mistake!), then he decides to go to the camp alone(Oh, no! What a mistake!). He enters the camp with no phone and only a handgun (Oh, no! What a mistake!), takes out a guard who has a rifle but abandons the rifle (Oh, no! What a mistake!). Shoots at Joe Carroll with a handgun, but misses! (Oh, no! What a mistake! You should have used the rifle from 50 yards, Ryan). If you watched, you know the rest. Ryan puts himself up a tree 27 times. Bad guys gets away, AGAIN! Stay tuned next week!

My wife just came in and asked me to come back and watch with her. I'm not religious, but maybe you should pray for me.

Created this account to tell you to stay away

Author: michael-989-559082
1 May 2014

Intrigued by the premise and the pilot, I cannot believe how terribly dumb this show has become. Like others here, made it only to episode six, removed it from my watchlist, washed my hands of it, and watched Silence of the Lambs again.

There are enough scenes in college campuses and frats and dorms combined with hopelessly banal readings from college lit 101 combined with a naive understanding of how real people work in real jobs plus all the sexual confusion/frustration/experimentation that I can't believe this wasn't written by someone fresh out of college.

I'm surprised the groupies chilling at the sorority house weren't doing beer pong and jello shots while waiting for their guru.

Stay away.

Enough is enough

Author: H C from United States
15 April 2014

More and more of the same. After the first season, this show has gone down hill and fast. Do it a favor and take it off the air. Put it out of it's misery. Kevin Bacon is too good of an actor to be wasting his talents in this plot. Will there be anyone left in this world for "Joe" to kill if this goes on for another month? I can't believe that the producers would actually want us to believe that FBI agents are executing the bad guys at will with no one getting in trouble. And the dead keep coming back for more. When I saw Joe's ex re-appear and take it upon herself to find her ex, again, and tell the FBI, "I can find him and kill him, you can't" I lost it. I could not move fast enough to hit the off button.

How?!?

Author: raven_guest from United Kingdom
1 March 2014

I really, really wanted to like this. The premise was amazing and different, the Poe aspect was fascinating and yet it so quickly became the biggest load of drivel! I love Kevin Bacon and would be willing to excuse a few bad eps due to my love of him, BUT there weren't any redeeming eps. There were fragments of brilliance, but they were soon lost in how ridiculous and repetitive everything got. Person A is kidnapped, they're rescued, they're kidnapped again, they escape, they're kidnapped again....and on and on and on. Characters are introduced who are actually interesting, but they tend to not be around for more than an episode. Unfortunately the ones I couldn't stand seemed to be invincible. I didn't care about a single person in this program and I so wanted to. Avoid.

Simply the worst TV show ever made.

Author: Barak B.M from Tel Aviv israel
2 October 2014

I never write reviews but this show just breaks new levels of Stupidity and insults its viewers to a level I cannot believe people actually watch this sham (i myself can't believe i actually made it to watch The entire 1st season... the agony!).

In general i really have nothing to add to what's already been said by other users;

Basically it all comes down to a mind numbingly stupid and ridicules writing which really makes you want to throw something over the TV. The writers should be banned from the industry for life. Other than that: the directing is bad, the acting is bad, the filming is bad, the plot is horrible and filled with holes that a 7year old can easily recognize, the characters are shallow and boring (except maybe for purefoy's) and the whole thing is wrapped with a very bad taste.

And to the trix_r_kids who wrote here a manifesto of how stupid all of us viewers are for not understanding this moronic show: you really went out of your way to defend this crap just because you are probably the 0.001% who can actually give this preposterous show a perfect score. Congratulations!

The only good thing I can say about this show is that the 1st episode was good and enticing. only thanks to it i kept believing that even after the 8th & 9th episodes things will get better (simply because i was sure it cannot get any worse) towards the end.

love it

Author: roflmeao from Australia
22 April 2014

I'm still really enjoying the series. Yes, it does have the hokey "people doing really stupid things and get in trouble" and magically appearing characters in places that they shouldn't be or know about. It even has forced plot points on occasion. I simply don't care.

I usually pick these shows apart something fierce but the two main actors do such a brilliant job that it, at least for me, holds together really well.

This show may overstay its welcome but for now it is a really dark drama that holds interest in a sea of mediocre crap.

Dexter is a fluffy bunny next to Joe.

never again

Author: andréanne brousseau
29 June 2013

At first, this series was quite interesting. The cult-thing was a great idea. There is a lot of series with FBI agents like criminal minds or CSI, and many more. The following should have been more then that it is to be different of all the others series. The problem is that the FBI agents are not credible. They are always only two on the crime scene and one of them is always late on action. All the action is predictable, even the end of the series. I didn't like it at all, and I tried a lot. I watched it entirely with the hope of a better end then the middle part. I won't check the season 2. I don't recommend this series. I'm a very disappointed viewer.

Author: roman-kuba from Austria
28 June 2013

I wanted to like this series as I really enjoy some films with serial killer topics, and hoped it would be as thrilling as Dexter. But to be honest, it's far far behind. The First Episode was really good and kept me wanting more but after halfway of first season I won't complete this series. The story writing gets worse from episode to episode and everything turns to be very unbelievable. It's not worth your time. If you are interested in a series with a similar topic of People following something/someone I would suggest "Cult" as that one provides some mystery and a better plot. This series only gets three stars because of Kevin Bacon who acts very good. Otherwise it would receive one star.

Just awful

Author: moonj69
28 April 2013

The only reason I can think of tuning in is because Purefoy is such a great actor and I love to watch him. I love the premise of the show but it is just not moving along fast enough. The show could probably stand the pace it is at, or even slower if it were more character focused. There are plenty of people in the cast that have unique characters that could be mined, but more time is spent plugging up holes in the unbelievable plot that you really never see much roundness in the characters (except for Joe Carroll). You know your show is off track when viewers are more connected to the antagonist than anyone else on the show.

I finally decided to quit watching when I realized that Claire will probably survive to waltz off into the sunset with boring Ryan Hardy and that is just going to ruin it for me because she is the most irritating "damsel in distress" ever. The only thing that she adds to the show is that she seems to keep Kevin Bacon's character chasing his tail and her incessant bipolar disapproving behavior gives us insight into why the hell Joe Carroll lost his mind and started killing women to begin with. Jesus, I'd want to stab myself in the eye living with that bitch.

Meh!

Author: subspace2010 from Australia
9 April 2013

Watched the Australian Premier last night. I just have to say if the US authorities are that incompetent then their country really is doomed. I reckon the writers have to be having a less than subtle crack at the government agencies. Jaw dropping stupidity. They have like half a dozen "Police" Officers "guarding" the victim and not one of them hears a disturbance or sees anything...this happened twice. The killer even takes out a few of them with no one the wiser. Really? OK I'm really suspending my disbelief here....but wait there's more. The writers expect us to believe that this um "charismatic" serial killer has brainwashed hundreds of people into being his disciples? What species are they? Jellyfish? Are people really that gullible? or desperate for attention that they would literally spend years of their life waiting for their demented leader to give them a sign? Really?? Meh!!! Next!!!

Kudos to Kevin though for great job on the acting. But that's all it has going for it. One guy can't hold up a cardboard house.