IMDb > "The Following" (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Following"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Following" More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 36: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Totally unreal

Author: jbrias-360-89168 from madrid, spain
27 March 2013

After reading the pre-screening reviews, I was eagerly anticipating the season premier of this series.

I have to admit that after the first two episodes, I was hooked. It had the makings of a great thriller.

Ten episodes in and I am sick of it. It is absolute rubbish. Nothing about this series is believable, and the writers obviously don't know where it's going either; they just make it up as they go along.

Never mind that the show portrays the FBI as an incompetent government agency, I can see how that might happen. Never mind that the warden of a maximum security prison is blackmailed by a stark raving lunatic and assists in his escape, maybe the guy was really crooked. Never mind that said lunatic has the resources to arrange a helicopter escape, maybe the warden paid for it.

What really got my goat is the fact that after having been burned once with respect to her reunion with her son, Claire Matthews then goes out a second time believing the same story.

This series is for the idiotically inclined.

Jumped the Shark!!!

Author: txborntxproud from Texas
14 March 2013

I really wanted to like this show! Love Kevin Bacon. And, I am pretty good at suspending my sense of reality for the sake of being entertained. First two episodes were good. But episodes 3 & 4 really "jumped the shark!" Everyone is in on it? Every government agency from local to federal and in between has been infiltrated? By one guy? Who has been in prison? Puh-lease people! When the small town female deputy turned her gun on the good guys, I thought "no, they did not just pull that?" When the warden helped Joe escape, I thought "can't watch this anymore." I am afraid to watch anymore episodes for fear I might learn that I'm in on it too!!

Such a Waste

Author: Kieran Delaney
19 March 2013

I must agree with many reviewers that say the series takes a suicidal nosedive early on...it started well but continues into an absurd collection of clichés and absurdities.

I fail to understand how writers cannot see that people these days are far more knowledgeable and well-informed due to the age of the internet and free speech. For them to think that we as viewers would believe FBI and SWAT to be so butter-fingered and hap-hazard as they are portrayed in this series, is an insult to my intelligence, and all other viewers.

The format is carbon-copied from shows such as Cold Case which in my opinion, is a much more stylish and emotion-filled drama.

I could continue to describe the declining farce that is The Following, but in short, I had high hopes at the start but after episode 5 I started to lose interest and Episode 7 just killed any interest I had.

How to take a great cast, great premise and great production team and ruin it!

Author: UKKermit from United Kingdom
10 May 2016

They really should use this as a case study in film schools, to show aspiring script writers and directors what they should not do!

The series starts well. The characters are strong and complex, the premise/general theme is engaging and the acting is top notch. In the early episodes the plot too is good. However this soon changes as things start to drag and drag and drag. By episode 6/7 we've already seen countless instances of implausible stupidity by the FBI, local police and our star, supposedly a brilliant veteran agent. In this parallel universe, cops don't shoot tires of baddie's cars, when they storm or surround buildings they forget to check the back door and in spite of having to deal with a number of nutjobs that visited our villain in jail, they do not think that it might be wise to go through archives of videos (which they have) pre- emptively to figure out who might be coming next. They allow a lawyer to become an accomplice to an organised serial killer network without even taking the time to question her. This allows the bad guys to stage one close escape after another.

The result is excruciating! What ought to be a 2 hour plot is really being milked to its limits and this really does not make for fun watching. I'm barely at episode 6 or 7 (cannot remember as they all do blend into one!) and I am losing the will to live. It is a real shame as they could just vary the plot a bit more and make a brilliant series, given the resources.

I, for one, am cutting my losses: I'll switch back to only fools and horses...

It could not be continued

Author: nagyp3 from budapest
26 March 2016

I understand why they cut this series out. From the very first episodes it was unbearable to see how lame were these agents in letting all the bad guys out of their hands. Nobody can believe that armed forces and secret agents are so stupid. Although the actors play very well, it is very hard to forget that the story is so unrealistic. And if it was a fairy tale, we could understand it . But whenever you see an important scene in some points of the story and you see that the police again and again miss to catch the criminals, you simply say I cannot believe it. Even if you force yourself, you cannot believe it. However, most of the situations are interesting and the characters are so good that you can survive the episodes, but this cannot be continued so it is over after three seasons. Kevin Bacon played above his limits to make you stay and don't swath off your TV set after some minutes in the story.

Production Fail as well. Lacking realism to common sense.

Author: Max_Lucas from United States
13 March 2016

As you can already tell by the reviews, the story is poor. So I won't even comment on that. But I would also like to add the director to the list of shame. I'm not going to add the episodes where the bloopers were, therefore not making review as a spoiler. If you're observant, then you already noticed a few of them. A couple of times, i've seen a shot fired with an automatic leaving the action open then ducking for cover and in seconds firing again. No clip hitting the ground and no sound of reloading. Sniper rifle with a laser sight (Not how to be unnoticed, but OK) First shot shows laser dot, all other shots are without. This same rifle is firing pretty fast for a bolt action. Many other overlooked realisms that I won't include because they could be considered spoilers. If you find them, add them. They are just so stupid. It ruins the show.

I just can't believe how these "Professionals" don't catch these bloopers. Do they even review what was just shot on camera? I'm just an average viewer looking to be entertained with a show that makes me feel like I'm there. But being constantly reminded by these bloopers popping up is a real let down.

Brutally unrealistic

Author: kodyeflacko from USA
6 February 2016

The villain is a former literature professor who can kill people with the efficiency of the world's baddest assassin. He's obsessed with Edgar Alan Poe. He breaks out of jail and then intentionally turns himself in. He has internet followers helping him carry out some grand plot. One just randomly commits suicide. Others operate like highly trained government intelligence agents.

None of this makes any sense. At all.

Looking for a quality show that's written well and is at least somewhat believable? Check out True Detective Season 1, Broadchurch Season 1 or Daredevil. Avoid this garbage.

If you care about your time, skip the Following....

Author: Tom Wet from United States
2 February 2016

I'd actually forgotten about "The Following" already, but thanks to Netflix' nice "new episodes" reminder, I took on Season 3. So the following (pun not.. well, go figure) is mostly about S3.

Let's start on the plus side: Technically (image, sound, quality of soundtrack, color, mood, location) nothing to complain about.

Another plus: The acting. Well, it's mostly decent. And where it's not, I blame the script. Eg. Hardy's "depression" and the alcoholism. First I took it for Bacon-ish Over Acting, but at a closer look, it's just the whole reaction as given by the script that is plain dumb.

But here we are in the middle of that this show's biggest problem is: The writing and the plot.

1) FBI = morons.

They locate people and cars within minutes by looking at traffic cameras, regardless whether in New York, Virginia, Maryland, you name it. And of course, the images can be zoomed to the extent of bugs on the windscreen. It's ridiculous.

Anyway, then they go there, often in the hundreds. Cars, vans, soldiers in bullet-proof vests and some really nice guns, the full Monty. And they arrive within minutes.

And then, for some reason, the FBI guy usually walks into the building completely alone, just holding a flashlight and a gun. Of course, he gets hit on the head by the villain, who usually manages to attack the FBI guy from behind.

Not only is the "FBI-guy-gets-hit-on-the-head-in-a-dark-room"-pattern really annoying (as others have pointed out, it repeats in every single episode), but the entire picture of the FBI is moronic.

2) Nearly every episode follows (pun...) the same pattern. FBI locates baddie, hunts him/her, something bad happens, FBI comes 2 minutes too late. It's really annoying.

3) There is no bigger picture, it all seems made up on short term. Also, what happened to the one-eyed black FBI guy who appears in the middle of the series, as some kind of boss to Hardy & co? Then suddenly there is this female FBI agent, who IIRC back in time lead the case of the "mirror-slashing killer", suddenly she's head of Hardy's investigation? Is this a quota thing?

4), 5), 6)..... I could continue, but then again, this show isn't worth it.

Better luck next time KB

Author: nathughesnh from United Kingdom
16 January 2016

By episode two I was extremely frustrated. Poor Mr. Bacon. He gives his best but the woeful writing pulls everything down. The charamsmatic ringleader of the cult is what really brings this down. At one point a there is a small glimmer of promise during the scenes where he and KB are discussing the murders drinking scotch but sadly all down hill from there. The burning question for me is just.. well...why? What is the cult leaders reasoning behind anything he does and why is there such a vast amount of people doting on him? After watching the likes of 'Aquarius' and 'True Detective' I fear by next week I won't even remember the title of this series. It will be remembered as 'oh that really bad series that Kevin Bacon was in' Hopefully better luck for KB next time as I highly doubt series 2 will be recommissioned.

What a Waste of Talent & Potential!

Author: kmctyre from United States
15 January 2016

It is sad to see a show with such a great story line, great characters so full of wasted potential. This show could have been so much more and in a top ten spot with better writers. First of all, no FBI agents could possibly be as stupid as these were portrayed. What a waste of Kevin Bacon's talent. All the lead characters were likable and good actors considering the script they were given. The story lines were great. They drew me in, only to disappointed that the good guys couldn't possibly win through a variety of stupid mistakes. It wouldn't be so bad except they made the same mistakes over and over through all 3 seasons. I sure wish Netflix would pick up this show and get some better writers on it.