IMDb > "The Following" (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Following"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Following" More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 37: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

What a disappointment

Author: roxie1807 from Poland
8 April 2013

After the first episode i was seriously impressed and was looking for the next episode. Now however I am highly disappointed. How a man who is locked up in prison can afford the high tech equipment to break into FBI and every other top secret and confidential database, the arsenal the cult owns, a house and everything in it that screams money? Cos clearly the followers don't work! How were his conversations with visitors in prison not recorded and monitored.. They talk about killing, planning the kills etc and we're supposed to believe that no one knew about this? It became so highly unbelievable and naive that it is painful to watch. The fact that it was unpredictable at the beginning because everyone could be involved is now extremely predictable for exactly same reason. The violence which at the beginning kind of draw your attention, it was shocking is now plain disturbing and boring at the same time. It seems it's the only thing the writers base the script on. Let's see how many people we can kill off in a single episode and show it. Constantly the same theme. Bacon (and I love the actor) keeps chasing but is always one step behind. This show makes a complete fool out of FBI, The Police, SWAT and whoever else should protect the people.

Bad!!! Hopefully there will be no season 2. I cannot imagine them getting away with it.

Action packed thriller of serial killer who "writes" his own poem!!

Author: heppionkeppi from Finland
19 March 2013

Story started of interestingly. I was somewhat captivated. Kevin Bacon seems a bit cliché (ex-cop, dramatic history, brilliant mind, hard headed with authority problem; you all know what I mean). The main bad guy seemed believable. The story seemed fresh. For first episodes, I was sitting in the edge of my couch.

For first few episodes it was good, even great. Then little by little I was brought down to my knees with the stupidity of the story development. After four or five episodes I could literally tell how each thrilling situation was going to end. Sadly, they all went down as I thought. No longer was I interested.

The culmination point was when Carrol's wife was able to loose the FBI agents and was brought into Carrol's followers place. When the police found them he threw a smoke-bomb and escaped with ease and without any resistance. Guess what? Police said: "He is gone!" lol, omg and Dafuq?? Sorry about the language, but that was as unintelligent and childish as the plot development. FBI doesn't just run into building without completely surrounding the building up to a point that there is no escape without brilliant plan. (Carrol's follower just keep coming up with the most superb tactics to outsmart everyone) It just kept getting more and more unbelievable. I am through episode 8, and thats it! No more, I don't believe, I don't see the logic (I was trying to far fetch something for myself to keep going), I don't care!! Bye bye! This show is done for me, and most likely will be canceled soon. Most I give is season two, and thats a stretch. Oh well, CSI/NCSI are still on, so there might be hope for little while longer! I wouldn't waste my time.

Very disappointing

Author: spam-me-mothers from United Kingdom
11 March 2013

starts off well then descends in to coincidence after coincidence after coincidence etc....... blah blah blah

A bit like 24, you know pretty much everything that's going to happen.

A teacher basically has Police, FBI agents etc... and even helicopters to hand whenever he's in danger

A very big let down and really not worth bothering with.

Like I said the start was really exciting but really gets worse and worse each episode.

You can see them dragging it out even further to series after series after series etc....... you get my drift!

How to take a great cast, great premise and great production team and ruin it!

Author: UKKermit from United Kingdom
10 May 2016

They really should use this as a case study in film schools, to show aspiring script writers and directors what they should not do!

The series starts well. The characters are strong and complex, the premise/general theme is engaging and the acting is top notch. In the early episodes the plot too is good. However this soon changes as things start to drag and drag and drag. By episode 6/7 we've already seen countless instances of implausible stupidity by the FBI, local police and our star, supposedly a brilliant veteran agent. In this parallel universe, cops don't shoot tires of baddie's cars, when they storm or surround buildings they forget to check the back door and in spite of having to deal with a number of nutjobs that visited our villain in jail, they do not think that it might be wise to go through archives of videos (which they have) pre- emptively to figure out who might be coming next. They allow a lawyer to become an accomplice to an organised serial killer network without even taking the time to question her. This allows the bad guys to stage one close escape after another.

The result is excruciating! What ought to be a 2 hour plot is really being milked to its limits and this really does not make for fun watching. I'm barely at episode 6 or 7 (cannot remember as they all do blend into one!) and I am losing the will to live. It is a real shame as they could just vary the plot a bit more and make a brilliant series, given the resources.

I, for one, am cutting my losses: I'll switch back to only fools and horses...

Amazingly frustrating and a waste of a plot with potention

Author: me_paranoia from Netherlands
14 January 2016

The story and plot is promising but I keep getting frustrated how a serial killer gets allies popping up at any convenience to turn the tide for the bad side. The technology they have seems to be better then all law agencies together. When a mansion or compound is surrounded by the entire fbi all bad guys seem to escape without hassle in choppers or raven hitchhiking.

This is the second time we tried watching the series and we are unable to finish the first season, my wife stopped again after 3 episodes and i was hoping for redemption but got more frustrated in the process.

Unbelievable that the rating is good on IMDb

Formulaic and Predictable

Author: ahzoov from United States
22 February 2015

Dear The Following:

I realize our relationship is still quite new and I've seen you on just seven or eight occasions, but I think it's time for me to start seeing other programming.

After I learned that anyone at any time can turn out to be a bad guy following Joe Carroll, you've just become formulaic and predictable.

Sure, your characters make a lot of mistakes. I understand this. They're human and humans make mistakes, and let's face it, plots go nowhere if everyone does everything right, but to repeat the same mistakes over and over and over just makes me wonder how in hell these people ever got hired in the first place.

The magic has gone completely out of this relationship. You are just too predictable.

1. Bad guys easily slip away and can't be located.

2. Victims and good guys who've been captured or tied up, break loose, and slip way only to get recaptured.

3. When a cop meets a bad guy, all his training suddenly goes out the window and the bad guy wins.

4. In fact, everyone has to forget their training, let the bad guys get the drop on them, take their weapons, and when asked to drop their weapons, they immediately do as they are told even though every officer is trained NEVER to give up his/her weapon.

5. The enemy is constantly being engaged by just one or two good guys with no chance of victory while their backup is always late in arriving, though just in time to save our hero.

Oh, I could go on, but what's the use beating this dead horse?

Just one more tiny thing, though. Keven Bacon can't grow a full beard, but that fuzz on the bottom of his chin is just disgusting.

Good luck in the future. With America being slowly dumbed down, your viewership is sure to grow.

Law enforcement aren't that stupid are they?

Author: Stuart Davies from Ireland
20 December 2014

A psychopath behind bars, orchestrating minions to do his biding which is made far easier by law enforcement consisting of people who all have ADHD, so just before they discover a critical fact about the baddies plans, they spring into action, running in all directions so there's never enough of them present at any one crime scene, and disaster ensues. Also they are incredibly naive and believe everything they are told, so are constantly surprised by all the minions in their midst. To top it all, you've got the main characters who's sole purpose is to ignore common sense or a survival instinct and do everything they are told by the psychopath and his minions. As sheep they'd cut a nice set of chops from their own body, season 'em, cook 'em and serve 'em up with garnish. Although the premise for the series is an interesting one, the writing is really dumb, lazy and unimaginative. I found my patience was gone by the middle of episode 5 and I turned it off. A series not really worth following *snigger*... er, sorry...

Unrealistic garbage

Author: Pekka Korpela from Finland
2 December 2014

Unfortunately I started watching this after speeding through House of Cards, Homeland and True Detective and because of that, the fall feels probably even steeper. Bacon, Curry and Zea give okay performances, but the others are, if not putrid, less than average at best. The plot is something else. I realize that if I want entertainment to be realistic, I should stick to watching documentaries, but a hint of realism wouldn't hurt. The cult is everywhere, and somehow they have managed to infiltrate every frigging agency, with no background information how it has happened or how it would be even remotely possible. What is the cult's mission? Death? Preaching Edgar Allan Poe? Oh, I'm shaking from excitement... It just seems that they have decided that this one guy is cool and keeps talking about Poe and death, we should follow him, do whatever he says and live with him. And yes, in what world does one cult have better technology than the FBI and other agencies have? Horrible TV, and I can't believe I tortured myself through the entire first season. The initial setting and the cast lineup are promising, but the laughable plot sinks this boat after a couple of episodes.

Not nearly as good as it could have been

Author: TdSmth5 from US
31 May 2013

They tried to sell this as a serial-killer-of-the-week series but it's nothing of the sort.

The first third of The Following is actually pretty interesting. You have people committing suicides or killings with a message and the FBI is trying to figure out what is going on.

What is going on is that a former literature professor named Joe Carroll, now imprisoned, somehow managed to create a following of lunatics ready to kill and/or be killed for him/his ideas. His ideas amount to a bunch of self-help yet self-destructive pronouncements on life, death, beauty and E.A. Poe-inspired imagery. What Carroll is after is a reunion with his wife and son and to write his reality-based masterpiece.

The FBI reluctantly recruits a reluctant disgraced former agent, Ryan Hardy, who was responsible for the investigation that put Carroll in jail in the first place- since Carroll was a serial killer himself.

And at first things are interesting and mysterious. But once Carroll gets what he wants and plays hide-and-seek with the FBI, things go downhill fast. And the inevitable confrontation between the good guy and the bad guy is anything but the mind blowing ending they promised. Sure, the final outcome is unusual, but nothing to rave about.

The Following should have been a strong series, it looks like it has a budget, cast, crew and some interesting ideas. But put together it doesn't work. James Purefoy's villain is terrible. There's the obligatory British accent, because you know, he's a professor and really smart, so he's got to be British. But his delivery of that accent is awful. His character is supposed to be super charismatic, he manages to get a bunch of people to die for him, yet Purefoy just can't convey an ounce of that supposed charisma. He's awfully dull, slow, lethargic, lame, and not at all brilliant.

But it's not just Purfoy's acting that is off. It's almost everyone else's too. Most actors are giving us their B or C game here, including the likable Shawn Ashmore, who makes a good sidekick to Hardy. The exception here are Bacon and Zea, who give truly outstanding performances and whose characters are the only compelling thing The Following. But they can't save the series from all its other faults.

Casting isn't convincing either. What is it that casting directors see in Annie Parisse? I didn't care for her in Person of Interest, nor in this. She did act a whole lot better in Person of Interest though. Then there's another secondary villain, in the person of the tiny Valorie Curry with a boy's haircut. Hollywood insist on this fantasy of minuscule anorexic females beating up on big guys.

Then there's the routine in which the series eventually settles. And that is that the bad guys are in constant god mode. They are everywhere, know everything, are always several steps ahead of the FBI, in fact, for every one step forward the FBI takes they end up taking two steps back- in each episode. Law enforcement has some goofy spanking new uniforms, but they are astonishingly clueless. Granted, the Boston events took place while the series had already been filmed I presume, but it doesn't take much of an imagination to figure that a post-9/11 manhunt for an escaped serial killer and his killer cult followers wouldn't look anything like the pathetic amateur operation shown on The Following. As a viewer rooting for the good guys, this show doesn't give you any reason to tune in to the next episode. You have one smart guy and a bunch of bozos going after an omniscient genius with an army of competent followers who are everywhere.

Some other annoyances I found, the whole big fuss made about homosexuality/bisexuality, which I guess is now mandatory in Hollywood but doesn't amount to anything in the end in this show. If crazy cultist killers aren't bad enough, you get crazy cultist killers who are of course militia members, too. I guess Kevin Williamson never really outgrew the 90s.

I finished watching this season just to see how it all turns out, not so much because I was compelled by its greatness. The Following could have been an edgy fascinating show, but instead it settled for widespread mediocrity.

Pathetic

Author: j-m-c-0250 from United States
28 October 2014

The most pathetic show EVER. Can't believe a show with such potential turns out to be completely ridiculous waste of time. Warning: don't watch this show. You will regret it. The show is all about catch-release-catch-release and very boring. After several episodes you start to ask what is wrong with the writers. There is no intellectual discussion of the issue of life and death, the nature of mind manipulation, the motive for crime, or the mental and psychological struggle of the people involved in the plot. The story is highly implausible, even for a show meant to be purely entertaining. The writers should be ashamed. The cast is great, but wasted on terrible story writing. The rating of this show on IMDb is the one that is the farthest from my judgement that I have seen yet. Terrible horrible show