IMDb > "The Following" (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Following"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Following" More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 32: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

What a disappointment

Author: roxie1807 from Poland
8 April 2013

After the first episode i was seriously impressed and was looking for the next episode. Now however I am highly disappointed. How a man who is locked up in prison can afford the high tech equipment to break into FBI and every other top secret and confidential database, the arsenal the cult owns, a house and everything in it that screams money? Cos clearly the followers don't work! How were his conversations with visitors in prison not recorded and monitored.. They talk about killing, planning the kills etc and we're supposed to believe that no one knew about this? It became so highly unbelievable and naive that it is painful to watch. The fact that it was unpredictable at the beginning because everyone could be involved is now extremely predictable for exactly same reason. The violence which at the beginning kind of draw your attention, it was shocking is now plain disturbing and boring at the same time. It seems it's the only thing the writers base the script on. Let's see how many people we can kill off in a single episode and show it. Constantly the same theme. Bacon (and I love the actor) keeps chasing but is always one step behind. This show makes a complete fool out of FBI, The Police, SWAT and whoever else should protect the people.

Bad!!! Hopefully there will be no season 2. I cannot imagine them getting away with it.

Action packed thriller of serial killer who "writes" his own poem!!

Author: heppionkeppi from Finland
19 March 2013

Story started of interestingly. I was somewhat captivated. Kevin Bacon seems a bit cliché (ex-cop, dramatic history, brilliant mind, hard headed with authority problem; you all know what I mean). The main bad guy seemed believable. The story seemed fresh. For first episodes, I was sitting in the edge of my couch.

For first few episodes it was good, even great. Then little by little I was brought down to my knees with the stupidity of the story development. After four or five episodes I could literally tell how each thrilling situation was going to end. Sadly, they all went down as I thought. No longer was I interested.

The culmination point was when Carrol's wife was able to loose the FBI agents and was brought into Carrol's followers place. When the police found them he threw a smoke-bomb and escaped with ease and without any resistance. Guess what? Police said: "He is gone!" lol, omg and Dafuq?? Sorry about the language, but that was as unintelligent and childish as the plot development. FBI doesn't just run into building without completely surrounding the building up to a point that there is no escape without brilliant plan. (Carrol's follower just keep coming up with the most superb tactics to outsmart everyone) It just kept getting more and more unbelievable. I am through episode 8, and thats it! No more, I don't believe, I don't see the logic (I was trying to far fetch something for myself to keep going), I don't care!! Bye bye! This show is done for me, and most likely will be canceled soon. Most I give is season two, and thats a stretch. Oh well, CSI/NCSI are still on, so there might be hope for little while longer! I wouldn't waste my time.

Very disappointing

Author: spam-me-mothers from United Kingdom
11 March 2013

starts off well then descends in to coincidence after coincidence after coincidence etc....... blah blah blah

A bit like 24, you know pretty much everything that's going to happen.

A teacher basically has Police, FBI agents etc... and even helicopters to hand whenever he's in danger

A very big let down and really not worth bothering with.

Like I said the start was really exciting but really gets worse and worse each episode.

You can see them dragging it out even further to series after series after series etc....... you get my drift!

Excellent

Author: ravenlynne from United States
26 January 2013

I cannot recommend this show highly enough. The writing is fantastic, the characters are well rounded and multi-layered. In my opinion, it had a very "Se7en" vibe to it. Kevin Bacon is perfect as the damaged FBI agent on the trail. His team are well put together and diverse. I always enjoy seeing Shawn Ashmore and he's going to do well as your newbie agent trying to prove himself. Purefoy is a dream as our main serial killer - leader. He's charismatic, good looking and completely screwed up in the head. The show is gritty, but not ridiculously so. It's violent and bloody, very scary. You know from the beginning who the main killer is, but seeing how he manipulates his followers is fascinating, and you won't know who they are until the show wants you to. I can't wait to see where it's going.

Avoid. Good pilot, then it gets worse and worse until it's embarrassing to watch

Author: adehoces from Spain
10 December 2013

We are getting a lot of this lately: promising pilot that puts interesting themes on the table (serial killers, wacko-like cult, dark literature, Poe...) only to throw everything off the window.

The serial killer is supposed to be obsessed with Poe's work; he's killed quite a few young ladies just to enjoy the beauty of death in their eyes, blah blah blah. But once he's on the loose he just doesn't seem to feel the need anymore. All he wants is his wife back, apparently. For all the potential the character has (deeply disturbed manipulative psychopath, cult leader, Gothic literature Phd or whatever), most of the time he's just a regular folk walking around a house (that by the way looks nothing like a house inhabited exclusively by lunatics might look), occasionally embarrassing himself with a cheap impersonation of Hannibal Lecter ("I certainly felt a... rushhhhh" -- how terrible!).

It all feels like the writers had a somewhat good idea, produced the pilot and once the show got approved they had no clue of what to do with it and went for lazy, clichéd writing. Dumb characters making idiotic decisions, totally incompetent FBI agents just waiting for the oh so tortured dark hero to figure everything out just in time for the baddies to get away after a chase and some gunfire, enough deux ex machina to bury all the cast below it.

This should have been profound, dark and disturbing give the themes, but its just a childish soap opera in the end. Makes "Criminal Mind" looks like "Silence of the Lambs".

Avoid. Seriously.

hard to write up without watching it

Author: rwidjaja from United States
8 December 2013

first, it is hard to see how the police+FBI can be so dumb luck. sure we have a master mind criminal, but the agent and consultant can be really dumb. haven't they learned from their past mistakes. and it seems that none of the marshal/FBI know how to conduct an investigation. anyway, I watch the series and the more I watch the more I hate the show. for some series, you see the character develop into something better (smarter over time. people learn from their mistakes) but in this series, it just complete opposite. the main character just getting dumber by the number. I tried to continue to series, but I watch the show in fast forward. can't stand the story line. don't get me wrong, the actors/actresses are doing their best. but the plot/story line, blows.

Really lame plot

Author: drobertson137 from United States
6 May 2013

The only thing going for this show is a couple of actors. The plot is lame and the same for every show: tortured dumb FBI agents outwitted by Followers and 1 or more of each group murders each other in a narrow dark room/hallway/closet/car. And Joe Carroll survived way beyond what anyone could with knife wounds, infection, drugs and alcohol. The characters of his wife and Ryan Hardy ought to be killed off in the series because they are so freaking stupid as characters. Whatever got this showed renewed for another season is beyond me--Emma will pick up where Joe left off. Or maybe he will be some sort of Voldemort that she tries to bring back to life. At any rate, I'm not following The Following anymore.

Incompetence is driving the story...

Author: akopp-412-456447 from Germany
27 April 2013

what is good: I like Kevin Bacon. I like James Purefoy.

The Story has a lot of potential, but after a few episodes it is clear that the only way to drive the Story further is that the villain is not caught. So every time either a cop, the FBI, the marshalls, get Close.. the F up. Not checking the Perimeter and OF COURSE there is another bad guy hiding in a closet with a gun.

And to my pet hate character- Claire. the mother.. the constant yammering of take me to my son, take me to my son.. and on top of that criticizing everyone that actually is trying to find her son for her. She is unlikeable and annoying and maybe it is meant to drive sympathy for her but the amount of stupidity she shows really doesn't help.

why oh why dear writers, couldn't you have made a plot where the good guys actually amount to something and where the detection piece is a bit more prominent? this could have been the best show of the season.. wait.. isn't that what the marketing is saying?

I Feel Sorry For Bacon.

Author: owencorfield
26 April 2013

When I first saw this series advertised I could't wait to see it! my first thought was "Kevin Bacon" it's got to be good! How wrong could I be,apart from Bacon himself,the rest of the actors in this series are just awful absolutely awful! Acting is very amateur & bad script writing,some of the scenes are cringing to watch,but once I've started watching something I have to see the end,I keep watching only in hope it gets better,but it just doesn't happen,each episode is worse then the previous one,It's full of bad FBI work,it's so unrealistic it's laughable, it's full of kidnap escape kidnap escape,goes to prison,oh guess what!?? then escapes!

I'll be surprised if a season 2 will follow ( pun intended )

Very disappointed fan of Kevin Bacon.

Completely Unbelievable & Frustratingly Bad

Author: macpompey from United Kingdom
31 July 2013

After the first episode I had high hopes; twists and turns are abundant. What a shame each of the subsequent episodes were the exact same formula, plot and events. Hero ends up on own, unarmed or out-gunned, survives in hail of explosions/gunfire, rescues innocent, loses innocent and Fed/colleague dies; and repeat..... Stupid Feds foiled by simple criminals, a plot with holes so large a truck could jack knife through them. Every law enforcement agency in this drivel are shown to be completely incompetent and unbelievable stupid. I believe this was done to ensure that they did not solve the case too early – in other words, the script writers were too lazy to make this interesting. Instead they churned out the same chaff throughout the series. Watching this is the most frustrating thing EVER – you're screaming at the TV, 'they would not do that, why are they doing that!' So many questions are completely avoided by the script writers; such as how do these 'disciples' get unsupervised access to this über psycho? Why do they devote themselves to him? How this is all funded – huge houses and immense planning and nobody appears to work? Why is the hero, who is no longer an FBI agent, allowed to run about on his own putting everyone's life at risk without any repercussions? Finally Mr Purefoy as the charismatic and psychotic Joe Carroll – he was almost comic in his portrayal. His moments of menacing were more like mincing. I enjoy Mr Purefoy's work, but I feel he thought this was a poor TV show and it showed in his performance. Do not waste any time entertaining this – it is truly not worth it, but I bet they make a second series.