IMDb > "The Following" (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Following"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Following" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 32:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Author: irisfilm from United States
25 February 2013

Sadly, the show started out with incredible potential but fails critical plausibility and logic requirements over and over. From unmonitored prison visits to overuse of flashbacks to convenient disciples popping up everywhere to violations of every basic police and military tactical procedure, this show has jumped the shark in the first season. Constant capture-escape-capture-escape is already dull. And even though the show was inspired by 24, it didn't even learn the basic lessons from that.

I wanted this to be as good as it could have been. But alas, this show is already failing beyond recovery.

ADDED: Episode seven and this series has gone so far off the deep end that not only is it removed from the DVR but it is not even worth criticizing the events in detail as a spoiler. Bacon and Purefoy remain strong but how many sharks can a plot jump in one hour?

In the next episode, Lucy has a wild scheme to get into the nightclub act by disguising herself as an FBI agent but Ricky catches her and they discover that they're both secretly Joe Carroll cultists. Then somebody else dies. Ooooo.

And then they escape because the FBI or the Police were looking the other way at the critical moment.

Great cast, garbage plot, going down hill very fast

Author: D H from United Kingdom
27 February 2013

I watched six episodes. I really tried. The first showed potential, despite plot and plausibility issues. Each episode strained credibility further. It's like the writer just could not see the story's descent into total farce. Characters so implausibly stupid, police and swat incapable of decisive action, and saving characters introduced from nowhere under incredible circumstances. I genuinely feel sorry for the cast. The story is just so bad this writer should never be allowed to work again. Tonight I took it off my DVR. I doubt there will be a season 2, which is a shame for the actors. Sorry guys, it just got too ridiculous and far fetched. The writer killed it.

Soooo Irritating

Author: peterclements2004 from Canada
11 March 2013

This must be the most annoyingly irritating TV series I have ever watched. I find myself getting really annoyed with the ridiculous incompetence of the entire FBI and police departments, while the aggravatingly smug serial killer reigns supreme. You just find yourself wanting to really slap the characters and tell them to get on with it. For one thing, this guy would be so locked down in jail that he would have no contact with his followers at all, and surely the best way of stopping the entire thing is to execute him. Isn't he on death row anyway. The worse thing for me, is that there is no perceived resolution. If the situation is resolved, then the series is over. This means that you just know that it will go on forever. There is just no satisfaction in this.

The Writers of this Show Should be Ashamed

Author: djlennard from United States
20 March 2013

This show is truly insulting. After the first 40 minutes the writers ran out of any plausible ideas so it's ridiculous situation after situation. Joe, it appears has magical powers that can make anything he wants happen at any time. From a jail cell, he creates a network of followers that he has never talked to with unlimited funds and resources.

His followers are everywhere and in every job when it appears that the police have only 1 or 2 people that can ever try to stop him and naturally they do a poor job of it.

I wanted to like it. I tuned in one more time thinking maybe by some miracle it would get better but it only becomes more ridiculous. Joe's escape from jail was the final straw. The premise to be moved to another jail is bizarre and if that's not bad enough then prison officials, FBI agents and Federal marshals all manage not to be able to put one prisoner in the back of a transport truck and move him. But he then gets magically in the trunk of his lawyer's car and escapes. We all have different tastes in shows but I find it baffling that anyone could find this show even remotely watchable because it's so insulting to the viewers.

I will say the only one on the show's with half a brain is the little boy and I can only hope he can escape this show and never looks back.

Going down really fast...

Author: davidm-551-426505 from Philadelphia, PA
5 February 2013

I tried and really WANTED to like this show. Kevin Bacon is a fantastic actor. The premise of the show seemed really great, the first episode was good and engaging but by episode 3 it unfortunately all fell apart. First and most of all the storyline is just waaaay too far fetched and unconvincing. Many characters seem just plain stupid (Jordy - if he is such a devoted follower WHY on Earth would he speak and give away important info to the FBI right before killing himself in the hospital bed?!? This might make sense if he was seeking redemption but he wasn't at all. Just because they promised him he would see his God/Leader again?! You gotta be kidding me... and this is unfortunately just one of many completely idiotic points in the whole story so far), zero depth, no believable background AT ALL. Some action sequences - even though they are not crucial in this sort of show - are so ridiculous the whole thing becomes just a painful experience to sit through. With many other shows on TV this will be quickly forgotten and frankly - that is exactly what it deserves. 3 stars go to whoever convinced KB to be on this in the first place, haha!

Excellent action, stupid cops.

Author: rdngmikey from United States
19 February 2013

I'll start by saying that the show had some good action to it, the actors are well developed and the overall theme to the show is great.Aside from that the show seriously lacks in the general intelligence and intuition of those playing law informant characters. The F.B.I. are after a cult following a brilliant serial killer who is currently behind bars, the members of the cult are supposedly rather intelligent themselves and yet the F.B.I. and the police never seem to be prepared for the twists, never sending enough officers to do a job. Of course if the police were depicted as being intelligent and competent individuals, the producers would have had to hire actual writers to keep the series moving.

About as edgy and new as the moon

Author: etpzachry from United States
1 February 2013

This show is absolutely terrible. For me gore isn't really an issue, but this time it was. I loved the movie Dredd despite it's horrible violence and gore, because it didn't shove it in my face. This show can't get away from it because it's the only thing it really has to keep people interested. But showing a tortured and brutalized dog that's barely alive and suffering or playing a tortured girl's cries for help while having her eyes ripped out is too far. That's trash writing right there. There are plenty of ways to evoke the emotions of fear and sympathy without crossing that line, but when you need to cross that line just to try and stand out you know you're standing alone and deserve it.

Seriously though, the show is just so proud of their lame characters. I get it. You think they're great. The killer is more tech savvy than the federal agents and their tech support, despite no real background in the subject that we are presented. The killer is so much smarter and well planned than the entire police department, feds, and Kevin Bacon. The police are just bumbling around while the cultist are running around like Ninja, even though he only had a short amount of time to actually have everyone brainwashed and trained. The villain manages to gather an entire army of followers and trains them into how to be super stealthy tech ninjas while in prison and manages to craft the most elaborate detailed plan ever. Kevin Bacon is the only person on the planet that can catch the villain because... well... Actually they never explain that. A poor girl had to get tortured and murdered before he decided to check any places with a Poe story theme to it. If only Google had been there to save the day. Also, a killer with an Edgar Allen Poe theme? Wow, how original. This seems more like some first year lit students fan-fiction than anything else. It's just like if Silence of the Lambs was written by a 13 year old.

This is just a bad story, with bad characters, following a predictable and boring plot, in a world filled with simpletons. They try to portray this guy like Hannibal Lecter, a suave and sophisticated genius that perpetrates amazing crimes and helped other serial killers become legends. The problem is that they fail horribly. Hannibal was terrifying because he wasn't trying to impress anyone with his art and actually had studied psychology. He was terrifying because he understood the human mind. This guy is failed writer and a Lit professor. The local Librarian would have been more frightening. The whole failed artist aspect just makes me think of a whiny teenager. They portray the law enforcement as a horrible and incompetent disorganized force. They never manage to look in obvious hiding places, do background checks, call for help, have a weapon ready, do psyche checks on guards, have a radio/whistle/panic button available, a safe house or hotel where all the planning would be voided, or something as simple as recognizing your coworker is acting weird in the locker room.

The plot is more unstable than a house of playing cards. Anyone one whistle blown or caught henchman and the whole thing would have been pieced together in seconds and in plenty of time to stop the next plot twist. And it happens more times than you would think. Spoilers. If they put the last victim in a safe house. If they would have kept their eye on the nanny after realizing that the last victims friends for the last several years were working for the killer. If the nanny didn't get the job, or the gay couple didn't get the house next door, or anyone moving within the three years. If the neighbors of the guard would have realized his house smelled of death and the sounds of tortured animals could be heard from within. If the neighbors would have realized that dozens of pets going missing seems very odd. If Kevin Bacon would have called for help the two times he wandered alone. If the three murdered officers would have called for help in the two different locations and times. If the prison guards were able to stop one man from murdering all five of them within minutes without setting off an alarm. If the gay couples landlord would have done a credit check. If any of the police experts would have thought to look in Poe-themed locations. If the police didn't bring in Kevin Bacon, or at least take him off the case after realizing his involvement. If the police actually tried interrogating the killer and treating him like a criminal instead of a wonderful artist and genius that deserves undying respect. If anyone would have recognized the missing child with the three serial killers. If any of the cultists broke or got caught before the prison break, during the man hunt, or afterward. If any of those happened, the story would have crumbled. Thats a lot to have to overlook in only two episodes. I probably missed a few, and I still got to 18 different points. If you saw the show, try watching it again with those in mind. The show thinks it's great and keeps telling you every second how great it is despite being a poorly thought out train of idiocy.

Started out great but that was it Im afraid...

Author: Tar Mac from United Kingdom
12 March 2013

The first two episodes were very good but then it was all downhill from there.

Thin storyline is thin and even the twists are predictable. The FBI's characters are so idiotic that its quite insulting to the real FBI. There is no urgency in the FBIs characters or realism as to how one would expect given that there's a kidnapped child and cult killers on the loose.

And if all else fails throw in some more cult members. How'd a prisoner recruit so many followers from prison is also way to far fetched. It feels as if there are more cult members than FBI, swat, police, etc in the show.

The whole show has just become incredibly frustrating to watch.

Keystone Kops

Author: proto57
23 March 2013

Like many here, I was intrigued by episode 1... and thought that a great new show was here. By about show 3, I had filled my quota of suspended disbelief, and could not longer enjoy it... I was just slogging through a painful experience, long enough to see what would happen next.

Trouble is, each time what "happens next" is even more ridiculous than what happened before. The total bumbling ineptitude of law enforcement is laughable. We ought to all go hide in bunkers if the FBI, CIA, local police and prison staff are all really this stupid.

The list of ridiculous events and actions are endless... the woman sneaking from police custody to meet a cultist, on the promise of seeing her son, so she can be captured. The Bacon character entering a house with his back to the front door, looking up a staircase, when he knows there are killers everywhere. A few short words from Bacon, talking a woman out of killing that person with a nail gun, even though she is supposedly totally cult-washed into doing it. No, one minute with Bacon, and she changed her mind.

And having new cultists pop up any time the lazy writers need another one, to kill someone new, or provide some small function. People get captured, then escape, then new ones get captured, and others escape... who will care any more about anyone being captured, or escaping, since it looks so easy, and might happen at any moment, to any character? Meanwhile, I'm no psychologist, but more the reason to make a case WHY these people would be so compelled to follow this douche-bag anyway. I suppose his schwarmy, s*** eating grin permanently tattooed to his face is supposed to be hypnotic, and make people want to torture and kill for him, but to me he just looks spacey and clueless all the time. They don't make the case for him as a cult leader, at all, for me.

And I like Kevin Bacon. I'm even 2 degrees from Kevin Bacon! For his sake, I do hope they cancel this... so this dog can be forgotten, and he can go on to repair his career.

And here I'll add the funniest line from the show. The Bacon character, after being taken off the case, again, for absolutely screwing things up, again, says to his sidekick, "Well... they have to blame SOMEBODY." Really? Do you think? I wonder why they picked YOU, of all people? Its not like you let the guy go like thirty-five times, and got 12 people killed, and 40 captured, is it? No, they just picked YOU out of a hat...

Why is FBI such a bunch of amateurs?

Author: corb06 from Sweden
26 March 2013

Really never take the time to write reviews but I felt I needed to say something about this show.

First of all, its nice to see Kevin Bacon in a TV-series. He makes a pretty good performance in the show. Even though he have been holding hands with about 5 guys now as they draw their last breath. Getting kind old...

But the story is really really bad and so unrealistic. FBI, HomeLand, NSA, SWAT they all appear like a bunch of clowns and amateurs. Getting killed all the time and can never catch up with the bad guys. Why is this??? How can a loose gathering of sociopaths be more organized, so infiltrated and stay so far ahead of the entire us law enforcement forces?

The following better shape up, or I am not following any more. Haha!

Page 1 of 32:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]