Temptation: Confessions of a Marriage Counselor
Page 3 of 11: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

A Family That Preys type plot...I loved this movie!!!!!

Author: Topaz1922 from Columbus, GA
25 July 2013

I was surprised to see so many low scores and negative reviews of this movie! Sure, it was like a lifetime movie and sure the plot was predictable, but if you like movies that you can relate to then this is a great one because temptation and the ability to stay away from it is something that we all deal with at one point or another.

I can admit that I began losing interest in Tyler Perry films due to them all seeming to recycle the same actors who seem to be caricature-like. However, if you loved "The Family That Preys" and its plot and message, then you will definitely love this movie. I mean, throughout the movie, I was constantly told to be quiet because I couldn't help but be mad at the actions of the lead actress! I just couldn't keep quiet. Some people feel that the plot of a woman who cheats on her soul mate of 19 years is impossible but it does happen! I don't know about anyone else but I loved it!

I loved it !

Author: N C from United States
9 April 2013

I really enjoyed this movie and was happy to see African American actors acting through a 'normal script' dealing with the reality of what can happen in the life of a couple...rather refreshing that it was not an over the top outrageous loud comedy (and I am black by the way). Kim K. was surprisingly OK in this movie. I expected her to suck but she did a decent job. Although it wasn't as though she was playing a really complicated role like the Iron Lady role or the lead role on The Help. Still, she was fine. Overall, I couldn't keep my eyes off the movie Vanessa Williams. It was evident that Vanessa Williams and Brandy were more experienced as actors among the cast but still, I was not disappointed in the performance of the other cast members. Well done Tyler Perry.

over hype

Author: jtatum2 from United States
5 April 2013

I had high expectations of this movie before I saw it. The commercials play out as a steamy drama but really this movie is dry and predictable. The only thing I really got joy out of, was looking at the two leading men shirtless. The acting was laughable and the storyline went too fast. I figured out that Harley was Karen's ex in the beginning of the movie and quickly was able to put the pieces of the rest of the movie together. I was even able to say some of the character's lines before they did. Overall this is not an in depth movie that makes you think about life choices, it's a play that is portrayed as a movie and didn't make it out of its play stage. It didn't have enough passion and at times became very preachy and boring. I love Tyler Perry but he shouldn't have done this movie. Maybe with different actors and actresses this movie could have lived up to all the hype.

This movie was very good!

Author: ashleyriyadh from United States
7 April 2013

I think this movie was excellent! And honestly I think that people may not like the message because it hits home... The actors were great, all of them even Kim K. I think the underline message is to pay attention. The main character started off very morally sound but as she was exposed to a more secular part of life it became addicting. Having unprotected sex is not worth the risk of all it comes with and not just an unwanted pregnancy. HIV is the number one killer for young African Americans. And just because someone looks safe it doesn't mean they are. And just because they are your boyfriend, girlfriend or spouse it doesn't mean they are faithful and practicing safe sex. This is proof that communication is key. But as a counselor I feel the main character should have been able to communicate better with her own spouse... Over all great movie... Not a fully happy ending but I realistic one. I teach my son every action has a consequence whether its good or bad and we either live with them or die...

Not Too Tempting

Author: JSplend954 from Salisbury, MD
31 March 2013

Tyler Perry's Temptation stars Lance Gross and Jurnee Smollett-Bell, as they play husband and wife(Brice & Judith). Brice and Judith relocate to Virginia and although both have achieved their educational goals, they have not settled in to their professional careers.

Brice is very realistic with his long term financial plans, and he is satisfied in where he's at in life. Judith appears to be disappointed in herself, and in a way she feels she is overqualified and under-appreciated in her present position. To a degree, Judith also feels this way regarding her marriage.

Along comes billionaire entrepreneur Harley. Now, this is where I think Perry dropped the ball, in the way in which Harley and Judith interacted with each other. Harley arrives at Judith's workplace, and he is interested in investing in the business, which is a High Profile Matchmaking Service. Someone of Harley's stature usually has financial advisor's, accountants, consultants and attorneys doing all of the leg work. Every time Harley goes to the business, he's alone - none of his entourage are with him. If the business was profitable, someone like Harley would either open their own business of a similar nature, or flat out buy that business.

At some point in the movie for this storyline to work - Harley and Judith would have had to come across each other, but it made no sense for all of the initial contact to occur at the business. Prior to this it was revealed they had seen each other in the park on Saturday's while they were jogging. They could have had that initial contact there.

Harley develops a personal interest in Judith, knowing that she is married. That really doesn't matter for Harley, because he was the type of character/person that whatever he wants he will get. Harley represents everything that Judith wants and desires at this particular point in her life. Judith is thinking of the big picture - Money, Power, and Fame, and Harley represents all those qualities. She wants it all, and unfortunately her greed costs her almost everything.

I still can't figure out why Kim Kardashian's character, Ava, was even in the movie. She was a non-factor, and Perry must have known he was going to get shredded for using her.

Brandy Norwood plays Melinda, who also has a past, and her character was not needed as well, as it becomes so predictable.

The ending left you leaving with more questions than answers as you were trying to figure what, where, when did this take place and how did this come about.

I will say this, the movie was approximately 110 or so minutes long, and it did keep my attention.

It was almost like Perry got tired at the conclusion and he just wanted to end it, rather than explain what transpired between the characters.

The concept was decent but the actual movie could have been better.

It sucks

Author: honore-conish
8 April 2013

I usually love tyler perrys films but this one was a HUGE disappointment for me. Very predictable and seemed more insulting to women more than inspiring. The whole point seemed to me as don't go running off to someone who seems more exciting when you have a pretty good guy already. I mean Judith wasn't happy with the husband either and the film seemed to forget the point that she tried to "spice things up" but he wasn't even trying to respond and he forgot her birthday for two years in a row. How she retaliated to her unhappiness was ignorant, gullible and weak but if your significant other won't even try to keep things interesting with you even after bringing to their attention then the odds of them lasting weren't good either with or without the other guy. I just felt the husbands faults should have been more incorporated than it just being one sided.

Sends a message - Consequences of Actions

Author: elcolema from United States
2 April 2013

All in all I felt that this movie was Tyler Perry's best. The movie sends a message and for those that don't understand the vision behind that there may be a lapse in their enjoyment of the film. Tyler Perry isn't simply trying to entertain to be to teach life lessons and in each of his film there is an underlying effort to leave the audience with a more knowledgeable approach to different situations. I rated the film with an 8 instead of a 10 simply to address something a few mishaps from the actors. I feel that everyone did a great job even Kim Kardashian who I questioned in this role until I actually watched the movie. There were a few parts that just did not seem believable, but I feel that Tyler Perry made the entire film personal even more so by how everyone was shot up close. Watching film is a major aspect of my craft as a screen writing and from the different angles and close-ups of the characters everything was more personal so that it would reach the audience more effectively. I am a huge fan of what Tyler Perry has done in the film industry and in watching interviews of Tyler Perry and the cast the fact that he made the cast younger in an attempt to reach out to the younger generation where everyone seems to feel invincible. As a college student I felt the film wad very well executed and I give the film two thumbs up. A must see for predominately younger individuals and couples.

A reminder that the grass in not always greener on the other side. When it comes to adultery there are NO WINNERS.

Author: Amber Pierce from United States
31 March 2013

I have always supported Mr. Perry's work and will continue to do so. As for his latest film, I thoroughly enjoyed this movie and it's message. As with all Tyler Perry movies he made sure to throw in a few LoL moments. The people bashing this film obviously don't get the "message" Perry is trying to convey to the audience. For those asking how Harley knew it was her birthday, she tells him it will be her birthday in 3 days. So that was an oversight of yours not the director. I will agree with the other reviews in one aspect. I was bothered by the fact that at the end of the movie everyone aged but Brandy. That's unrealistic. Aside from that, I thought the movie was well written and the cast was spot on. As for the subject of temptation..Let's be real, we've all cheated, thought about cheating, or have been cheated on. This movie might actually save a few people from cheating and in turn save their marriage. As a married woman who has been on both ends of the spectrum this movie was a reminder of why I will never be tempted again. One night of pleasure has the potential to ruin so many lives. In the end you realize that the grass is not always greener and no matter how hard you try the damage is already done. So think twice before you throw away your marriage for a night of passion. God bless!

Good but still lacking.

Author: TrueEssence from United States
29 March 2013

"Temptation", is a movie that I wasn't particularly interested in but willing to see because of Jurnee Smollett-Bell and Robbie Jones. Read at your discretion, spoilers are below.

The movie starts with a female marriage counselor explaining to a woman about the dangers of having an affair; she said it was her sister. So we are introduced to Judith (Smollett-Bell) and Brice (Lance Gross) who grew up together fell in love and got married. Later, Judith is now 25, unhappy with her job and life. Brice is oblivious to her unhappiness and doesn't particularly notice her as much anymore. She wants to own her own counseling firm but is forced to work at a Matchmaking agency as a Therapist. She meets Harley (Robbie Jones), this very good looking and successful man. They begin working together because he is thinking of investing in their company. He is attracted to her and has no shame in admitting multiple times even though he knows she's married. She continues to tell him that she's married and doesn't fall full victim to his moves but it's clear that she is attracted to him as well. I mean, I don't blame her; Jones is alluring, dangerous and sexy in this film. After steamy words from Jones, she tries to spice up her sex life with Brice but he only wants to do it in the bedroom. She goes out of her way to meet up with Harley in the park where they both ironically run. Jones being so good is probably why every time he was on screen I was completely attentive.

Judith continues to attempt to thwart Harley's advances; she doesn't really start giving him more attention until Brice forgets her birthday (But Harley somehow knew it and sent her roses) and they go to New Orleans for business. Harley and Judith share a moment in his private jet, then he comes on to her rather strongly and at first she fights him, but he's consistent. That moment started it all. Her mother visits and knows something's up when she meets Harley. This is also where things in the film begin to feel rushed. The first part of the movie focused on Judith's interactions with the people around her which helped to see her unhappiness but once the affair actually started, if you blinked you missed it. That's how I felt. I went to the restroom and when I came back, I was lost. I was only gone for 2 minutes and I felt like I missed a LOT. The movie was in a song montage and I was like "umm?" Apparently her mom slapped her, said some words and Judith ran out.

Anyway, Judith is now outright cheating with Harley. He's buying clothes and things, she is on his arm out in public, they buy a building for her firm and I guess she now is doing drugs. I must have blinked and missed her snorting it earlier but that sparked her addiction, she also quits her job. After speaking with Melinda (Brandy Norwood), Brice goes to Harley's house to find Judith and he drags her out of the house, she tells Brice he's a good guy but not a phenomenal guy and that's what she wanted. She wanted to feel alive but not with him. Harley goes with Judith to her apartment to get her laptop and her mother was inside in a prayer circle. Her mother tries to keep Judith from leaving and Harley manhandles her to the ground and drags Judith out. They leave, get back to his place, they argue, she says "just because your mother abandoned you in a crack house does not mean you can abuse mine" or something like that. His face... now you knew he was completely crazy because his reaction to THAT... wow. Basically he beats her up.

Melinda and Brice are talking and she tells him she has HIV... yeah. I rolled my eyes too. She reveals that Harley is her ex as if we haven't already figured that out yet. I mean I hope people have. I knew it in the beginning. Perry probably thought he was being smart with all of these twists but no... He's predictable as always. Brice goes to save Judith who was beat up. After taking her out, he returns and hits Harley; Melinda comes in to stop him. Harley sees her calls her by her real name "Karen" and they both leave. We come back to the present with the Counselor, the young woman says she'll end the almost affair. Turns out Judith (Counselor) contracted HIV as well. She is no longer with Brice, he is married with a son, Melinda is still alive and working in the Pharmacy but Judith is alone.

It was pretty good. I enjoyed watching Jones and Smollett-Bell the most. Gross did his role well, Brandy's character was unnecessary. I guess in the play her character is the twist, it didn't do anything for the movie. Brice could have gone and saved Judith on his own without Melinda telling him it was Harley she was running from. Kardashian is ugh. The ending baffled me though. Older Judith is clearly played by another actress however when we go into the pharmacy, Melinda is not only alive but looks completely the same but Brice (still Gross) is old. We have no idea how far the present is into the future but really? Brice looks like a grandfather with a 5/6 year old son and a 20 something looking wife? Melinda looks 26 still? Judith has HIV as well but is a different actress? Sense? None. It went to fast after the turning point with the affair, I guess the idea was to set up as to why she started the affair but during the affair was really quick. The climax was pretty good though.

Not one of Perry's best… if he really has any but worth a watch.

tyler perry temptation

Author: syndi7 from United States
29 March 2013

Overall I will give the movie a C+, and it will get that because I had issues with the fact this is a young couple who graduated college and grad school. Brice is a pharmacist, even starting out pharmacist make a good 80-120,000 thousand per year, and with her added income this can only boost them into upper middle class. I don't know if you ever been to DC and seen how black folks live, but they do alright. Their little quaint house just wasn't cutting it for me, they couldn't of been that poor. I also had a problem with the transition of the story, at times it moved to quick, like when Judith got hooked on cocaine, really one hit was all it took? It was powder not crack! The last part I had a scratch my head moment on was this movie seemed like a "Crying Game" everyone, I mean everyone was seen crying and at one point it got ridiculous, the on flow of tears were unbelievable. The movie did provide some laughable moments, like when Vanessa William character Janice voice changes from the elite Parisian voice to the ghetto GA voice, and I must say Kim Kardashian as Ava the workplace fashionista did a better job than what I expected, but her own choice in fashion made me have a "who is this talking fashion with no fashion" in a Dwight Eubank's voice from Real Housewives of Atlanta season 1 moment, the first dress you see her in was worn at least once by every basketball wife reunion there ever was, but her fit was tight which made her looked bulky and she appeared very fat on camera, and at one point you saw the cellulite. And lastly, the part of Judith after all the drama was played by Candice Coke, who in no way in heck looked at all like Judith, it just didn't add up, because we all know how beautiful Jurnee is, no way even after the Rihanna/Chris Brown beating she takes in the movie, didn't leave her looking that bad. It was definitely a lot of come on moments for me.

Page 3 of 11: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]