Temptation: Confessions of a Marriage Counselor
Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

A sermon effective to those who demanded it

Author: Steve Pulaski from United States
30 March 2013

"Overwrought" is the word to describe Tyler Perry's Temptation. Between the simple conflicts, cardboard characters, and stiflingly slow dialog almost entirely erected off of carbon-copy dramas, it shows its agonizingly long roots by taking every possible scenario and stretching it to a length beyond maddening tedium. There's almost no need to even write a review on this picture, because if you're not turned off by the name "Tyler Perry," you're likely turned off by the amateur cast the film boasts, the dopey plot(s), or the presence of the always wooden, never charismatic Kim Kardashian.

Tyler Perry's films have been a roller-coaster for a non-fan like myself. I believe his pictures almost demand the audience to have ability to relate too its characters on screen, and if you don't, then you've demolished one of the crucial ways of being able to like the film as a whole. But if you even if you do have the relatable factor down, there are still a number of other characteristics of his pictures that will do the job of turning you off. The abundance of clichés, stereotypes, senseless slapstick, religious motives, and ridiculous characters is enough to warrant a walk-out.

The film stars Jurnee Smollett-Bell and Lance Gross as Judith and Brice, childhood sweethearts that are married in an upper-class area. She is a matchmaker, working to become a full-time marriage counselor, while he is a pharmacist and a successful one at that. After six years of marriage, Judith becomes greatly unsatisfied by the drab life she is living, and in due-time because she meets Harley (Robbie Jones), an immensely successful, social-networking pioneer who is in dire need of a woman. From first sight, Judith is mesmerized by his confidence, money, and ability to talk a woman up as big as the house he lives in. We see where this is going, but Judith, who appears very bright and focused - with a mind similar to Kimberly Elise's character in Diary of a Mad Black Woman - doesn't. Soon, they are sneaking around, having sexual fun together, while she is being showered with gifts, all while trying to remain indiscreet to Brice.

This is the immediate problem of Tyler Perry's Temptation; there are no likable characters (except Brice), no characters with any intelligent judgment, and no characters that extend themselves past formulaic and dull. Take Judith for example, who we are allegedly supposed to sympathize with, even during the instances when she is cheating. We're just supposed to think, "well, it's justifiable since she's upset and Brice doesn't stand up for her as a man should." There's no justification for cheating, but the film makes it out to be up until things go really, really wrong.

It's, too, relevant that the film loves making ordeals out of petty non-issues such as Brice not standing up for Judith when she is cat-called by a group of thugs on their night out. Judith proceeds to go to bed angry and embarrassed by her husband's lack of gall to defend her or even initiate something. A scene not long after shows Harley almost beating a cyclist to a pulp after running into Judith when she was clearly at fault. Is he how men should behave? The film tries to show us that, even though his actions are grossly immature compared to Brice's, he's better because he at least tries.

Tyler Perry's Temptation fails in large part, however, because of its writing. It is an early candidate for the worst written film of the year. It runs on the fuel of inane dialog, corny lines, and senseless drama. Take for example the scene when Harley and Judith are on his private plane, and Harley questions what Judith "dreams about." When she responds, she ricochets the question off of him, to which he replies, "of you?" in a delivery that is akin to primetime soap operas. I can't remember cringing harder to a line of dialog. Then there's a scene where Judith is found battered in a bathtub. When Brice asks her, "where does it hurt?" she replies, "here," while placing her hand on his heart. To see the audience eat scenes up like this makes me deeply, deeply scared to think they have romantic expectations probably not alien to the kind in this film.

The leads aren't dreadful here, as Smollett-Bell and Gross are the kind of actors you crave to watch in better material, but the presence of reality-TV star Kim Kardashian in a film is about as off-putting and as tasteless as the persona she gives on that godforsaken program of her's. Why must Kardashian inhabit a secondary role in this film, let alone a role at all? Why not find a bodacious woman with huge breasts, a huge buttocks, and wildly unrealistic curves with no celebrity appeal for half the price? Perry's name alone is big enough to sell the most lurid screenplay/movie, so why work a role for her? It doesn't matter, though; I'm wasting words. She's about as unappealing and cloying as a secondary character played by an unnecessary celebrity can get. It will take a performance of a true despicable nature to dethrone her from a "Worst New Actress" award at the forthcoming Razzies.

Tyler Perry's Temptation is a sermon that will effectively preach to the choir that has graciously accepted every film he has released since Diary of a Mad Black Woman back in 2005. However, it has become clear now that public success is all that matters to Perry. He no longer seems to have ambition to make films that cater to a denominator other than the lowest or the most demanding. He attempts to get by on melodramatic clichés, laughable dialog, moral preachiness, inclusions of a sappy Christian agenda, and frustratingly inert plotpoints. I wish him well, and hope one day I can recommend a movie by him. I respect him as a self-made filmmaker, but that's about it, I'm afraid.

Tyler Perry officially jumps the shark

Author: emartin-1 from South Florida
28 March 2013

There are many things to admire about Tyler Perry. His ascent in the entertainment industry is incredible, and he has used his power effectively to give a voice to the African-American experience the same way Woody Allen has for the Jewish experience. He gives opportunities to young African-Americans actors and veterans such as Cicely Tyson who would struggle to find work elsewhere. Perry is a shrewd, powerful businessman. But he's a horrible director and mediocre writer. His latest project "Temptation" is his worst to date. The premise not only straddles the lines of implausibility, it's downright ridiculous. A girl-next-door-type (Jurnee Smollett-Bell) who is married to a man she has known since they were both 6 years old suddenly decides to have an affair with one of her clients. She also starts to snort cocaine and hang out in seedy nightclubs. A subplot involving actress/singer Brandy is also dumb, and the plot twist at the end is the icing on the cake to this mess. When the credits began rolling, the reaction in my theater felt like a collective "Are you kidding me?" Perhaps it only makes sense that Kim Kardashian is in this movie. Remember in algebra class when we learned that a negative and a positive always equal a negative? That's what the scenes between Kardashian and Smollett-Bell produce. One can act, one can't. You do the math. Perry also needs to stop with the pointless close-up shots and phony eye-drop tears. Although with this flop, it's the audience members who paid $10 who should be crying.

Good movie!

Author: ashleighkillebrew
23 July 2013

I actually liked this movie, I don't know why it has such bad reviews. I know a lot of people don't like Tyler perry. But he's not even in this movie. It's not a comedy at all, which is unlike Tyler perry. But I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Kim kardashian isn't as bad of an actress as you think she might be. I was expecting her to be awful, but it wasn't that bad. Obviously she shouldn't quit her day job but it was bearable nonetheless.

The story line was actually interesting, and I love movies with a twist. This movie pulled me in and played with my emotions. It made me ask myself questions and wonder what I would do if I were in the main characters shoes. I would totally watch this movie again!

Movie Summary

Author: marcj2012
20 July 2013

"Warning this posting may contain spoilers"

Well I will admit this isn't the best movie detail-wise but I think a lot of people are giving this movie bad reviews because Tyler Perry is sending a message to be faithful in your marriage and people just can't/wont accept that in today's society.

The title said it all "Confessions of a marriage counselor" So we was sorta filled in that the counselor was telling the story about herself. But I feel that this story can relate to a lot of people maybe not the HIV as much but a lot of relationships are destroyed daily because of guys like Harley. And they tend to target women like Judith who feeds into his "temptation" Its funny to me that people considered this movie offensive or insulting that is the problem with today's world people feel there shouldn't be any consequences for their actions when it happens. I hate to get religious here but Tyler Perry used marriage as a perfect example in the movie where the grass isn't always greener on the other said and HIV just turned out to be the result of her actions. People said that she cheated because he husband was not paying her enough attention and forgot her birthday twice still that is not a reason to cheat she shouldn't of gotten marriage if that was the case. Marriage use to be "Til death do us part" but its more like "Til boredom do us part" but maybe 20 years ago that made more sense. I think the movie could have been done differently but like I've already stated this message is most important because I've seen marriages and relationships fall apart because people want to share instead of finding and keeping their own. The one message I've gotten from this movie is to never take anyone for granted because your actions can affect each for the rest of your lives.

Resist the Temptation to see this

Author: htolivermd from New Orleans
29 March 2013

"Tyler Perry's Temptation"- Once again, an example of a non-Madea Tyler Perry flick where he believes that a handsome face and a stellar smile can make the film work! In this case, he couldn't be more wrong! Temptation delivers very little more than a ridiculously simple and predictable plot, horrible acting, and as anti-climactic an ending as I've ever seen. I mean, honestly, there are two types of people in this world; Those that will think this movie is 'genius' JUST because Tyler Perry wrote it and those who will actually use their brains to finally realize that the garbage he puts on not just the big screen, but cable television as well is nothing more than stereotypical, melodramatic bullshit that characterizes Black people as oversexed animals with no moral core and who love to participate in the drama that each of his literary pieces is based on. PLEASE, if you are one of those who actually use their brains as mentioned above, RESIST THE "TEMPTATION" TO SEE THIS GARBAGE! 4.5/10

Tyler Perry's Conceit

Author: imdb-45 from New York
31 March 2013

I guess it's official - if the name "Tyler Perry" is on a product, it's as spoiled as old milk. I won't bore you with too many details. Kim Kardashian stars in this movie as an actress. If that doesn't say it all, nothing else will. Vanessa Williams can't do a French accent if her life depended on it. And the story line... a preachy sermon that lets us all know about how black people should act... or get punished for their haughty misdeeds. Wow. Tyler Perry should be punished for charging money for this conceit of his. Pumping out garbage regularly, if his name is anywhere in the vicinity, get ready for made for TV nonsense and raunch if it doesn't have to confine itself to the rules of the airwaves. Don't say you weren't warned - I just saved you $10-15.

Temptation: A Seduction Plot Lacking Requisite Sexual Chemistry

Author: Carlos Holmes (cholmes58@comcast.net) from United States
30 March 2013

Temptation is a step up from Tyler Perry's previous ho-hum Alex Cross, but it still a far cry from being the kind film one would gush over. The two biggest draws in the film are Jurnee Smollett-Bell and Kim Kardashian. Smollett, who in her last film "The Great Debaters" (2007) gave an outstanding performance in great chemistry with stellar young ensemble, was not as bless with as high of a cast quality. Nevertheless, her acting as the seduced wife Judith was stretched in some new ways in "Temptation" and on the whole she doesn't do badly.

Kardashian, is irritating in her role as Ava, Judith's work colleague, but then again, that is what her character is suppose to be. As such -- many other critics' assessment notwithstanding, Kardashian's acting is neither good nor bad, but simply OK.

As for the plot, Tyler Perry(writer and director) puts forward an interesting treatment of the issues of spousal and professional dissatisfaction, and how that can be used in a seduction passion play. A decent directorial effort, but Perry is still struggling with some filmmaking fundamentals such as pacing, camera angle decisions, and very irritatingly, sound editing. There were points where the critical dialogue of protagonists seducer and seducee was too mumbled to be anything close to erotic.

The film's biggest failing is the sexual chemistry between Judith and Harley(played by Robbie Jones). It just doesn't seem like a credible attraction. Whether the actors, casting or direction is to blame, who knows? But any Perry movie these days has to be considered high profile -- if for no other reason than his large audience drawing -- and as such, anything short of smoking sexual chemistry represents a critical movie failure. I keep rooting for Perry, but this is typical of his best films -- mixed quality, mixed results.

Oh my God did i really spend money to see this ?

Author: pjth1965 from United States
31 March 2013

Please i would like my money back. Tyler Perry movies one expects to be entertained have some laughs and go home smiling. Nothing serious or mind boggling deep rooted drama.

Kim Kardashian ruins this experience like no other, talk about wooden cant speak understandably nasals along lifeless and ruins the fun of going to the movies.

Please there must be some consideration that for a family it is $80 a trip to the movies cost and than to get put this inability of acting on the screen is pure fraud. I feel defrauded. do not go to see this it is simply not worth the price of a DVD.

trash pure trash thanks to the casting of Kim.

A Little Better Than His Others.

Author: 2fresh 2clean from Baton Rouge, La
7 April 2013

Over the weekend my wife and I decided to see this film because she's a huge Tyler Perry fan and she's been wanting to see it badly. I really wasn't to enthused about seeing this movie because I am not a Tyler Perry fan.

First off, this movie was just as predictable as his others. Just like some other Tyler Perry movies my wife and I saw together, I was commentating some parts of the movie to her before it even happened. Now there was one part towards the end that did take me by surprise.

When ever I get the misfortune of watching a Tyler Perry film, I can sit through the entire movie and not crack one smile, but Vanessa Williams(Janice) and Renee Taylor(Chapman) had a couple of funny parts that did make me chuckle a bit.

With all that being said, this movie was a little better than his others. Now I still wouldn't pay to see it in a theater or buy it on DVD. I would just wait till it got to RedBox and pay $1.31.

Terrible

Author: troykiick78 from Crestview, FL
31 March 2013

I am fond of Tyler Perry, I like his work. But this one misses the mark. In fact, it's no where close. I clicked on the "contains spoiler" box only because I really hope someone will read this and just avoid wasting 90 minutes of their life. The spoiler is this movie is a joke. Really. I found myself laughing, not because of the comedy (which is absent from the movie), but laughing because of how bad it was.

An extremely predictable plot laced with laughable acting make this movie a complete waste of time...and money! Of course, any movie that casts Kim Kar-Trashian with more than 30 seconds of script is sure to be as garbage as one may expect. Not that she ruined the movie, but it was definitely an extra kick in the teeth to an already straight-to-DVD B-movie at best. This is a movie you get payback on one of your friends with; but watch out, after watching this movie they may not be your friends anymore!

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]