IMDb > "Revolution" (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Revolution"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Revolution" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 33:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Lame effort from Eric Kripke

Author: findingdevotion
19 September 2012

To describe the premise as unrealistic would mean nothing as nobody should expect realism from what is essentially a post-apocalyptic sci-fi flick.

Watching something like this should lead to "what-if" scenarios, help you identify with more or less complex characters that beg you to care for them. Making a series out of something like this would allow the writers to embed details that allow characters to grow and plots to capture the audience for at least a season. And much like it is with meeting a new person, the pilot of series is expected to offer a perspective of what is to come.

But we have none of that in "Revolution", which is a truly awful series under all aspects.

The series would have us believe that a cataclysmic event left the world without electricity. This is fine, it is a bold premise that demands to know "how could this have happened", since it seems to defy any reason. The writers hint of a future answer and this is good.

What is bad? All that follows make no sense. We are given a 10-years after world, with decrepit ruins of the civilization.

Wait ... what, ruins? In my country we have blocks of flats that are over 50 years old and still stand strong without any maintenance whatsoever (sure, they look like crap, but they stand and are inhabited).

Next. Henchmen firing muskets? Why? You don't need complex technology to make bullets for the mechanical repeating rifles. They had those in the wild west before electricity. (FAQ on this is false: yes, making modern ammo is difficult without electric machinery but that doesn't equal revert to musket - in fact revert to musket poses huge problems because even if ammo can be anything, you need to first manufacture the weaponry as existing weapons have rifling bores, moreover to make simple rifle bullets you don't need the same process as the more modern ammo and they would still be compatible with a lot of modern guns).

Next. Can these characters be any less likable? A hot-headed teenager and her brother, a Justin Bieber-lookalike?

Next. Lacking electricity, how can people be alive? (most cellular processes require electricity - passing electrical charges along, brain processes are completely dependent on this) How can anything be alive? If you rub some material on your hair, is there any static left? Hell, since we're at it, what keeps molecules together? Have electric charges been replaced by something else? If so, and in fact those mysterious amulets just regulate this state, it means people can be alive only around them.

Next. How does that woman communicate using her computer? It would mean that an entire network runs continuously from her house to her counterpart. That means, the entire line has electricity running smoothly between her computer, to whatever router she is using, to her counterpart's computer (assuming a simple setup) is allowed to have electricity (otherwise the signal would die as soon as it got out of the range of her amulet).

Halfway through the pilot I was truly hoping that at least the Bieber- double would die in agony and soon after came the simply horrible hotel fight where I saw the evil henchmen pause for almost an entire minute to give the wonder-soldier time to stare in disbelief at his teen niece. Almost a minute the brain-dead henchmen just stand there not taking a shot. Even in cheap C-movies they at least try to give something to do to the henchmen to give the good guy a break (eg: moan as they stand, pick themselves up, slow-motion take, etc), but not here!

And in the end we are fed the incredibly cheap cliffhanger of the doctor typing on a dismembered computer. Why dismembered, may I ask? If she simply didn't keep her old computer in one piece and was forced to build one from scrap, what exactly prevented her from finding/making a case too, just to keep those precious components that remind her of a more civilized time, safe?

Typical JJ Abrams Drek

Author: Jim de Graff from Canada
20 September 2012

What we have is another production by JJ Abrams. Unfortunately that translates to BAD. In an interview, Abrams claims that the science makes sense. Sorry. If batteries (electro-chemical) don't work then neither do people. Our bodies run on electro-chemical processes. So there goes the science. But crap science, after all, is a staple of JJ Abrams. After all, in Star Trek he had Spock watch the destruction of the planet Vulcan from the surface of another planet in another star system WITH HIS NAKED EYES! Next I have to wonder how, after fifteen years, people can still be wearing fresh, white, machine-made clothing. I guess it wouldn't look good to have everyone walking around in sheepskins. Bu why not leather? Last, but not least, there is the JJ Abrams specialty. Billion-to-one coincidences. Again, in his absolute drek of a reboot of Star Trek, one coincidence (among so many) was having Kirk marooned within walking distance on the same planet as Spock and Scotty. In Revolution, the three questers enter a random building after entering Chicago. The first person they talk to is (what a bloody amazing coincidence) the very person they are looking for.

I can't imagine how anyone who puts so little thought into his work and who treats his target audience with such contempt still gets to do what he does.

I Look forward to it each week!

Author: awishandadream from United States
12 May 2013

I was shocked to see all the negative reviews. Perhaps I feel different because I'm not really looking for reality when I watch TV. I'm looking for entertainment. I'm looking to take a break and relax. (Most generally I have enough reality in a normal day, but if I'm looking for more on TV, I'll turn on the news) As for Revolution, I really enjoy the Drama. I find myself drawn into what the writers, and actors give with this show each week. There are some characters, I love to hate, and others I'm cheering on! I now make it a point to watch it when it comes on, or if I can't - I make sure the DVR is set, and watch it later. :)

Post apocalyptic middle America soap opera

Author: stfual from UK
29 October 2012

I've given Revolution five episodes because I love post apocalyptic dramas and films generally but this really is awful. Forget the fact that the plot is full of holes and general stupidity. Apparently 18 years after wars and the end of civilization everyone has discovered the secrets of moisturizer, hair gel, makeup, and they have invented the non-electric travel iron and curling tongs. Also they have access to an endless supply of clean push up bras and flimsy outfits.

I suggest the producers go live in a third world country for a while where most waking hours are spent focused on survival and getting enough to eat and drink, and where the balance between male and female power shifts dramatically when democracy and regulation is removed. Also see how fast the trains go when you have no idea if the track ahead has a cow or a tree on it.

While the "Walking Dead" staggers into soap opera territory too often at least it clearly recognizes the difficulties of just surviving and meeting basic human needs while trying to move to a better world of lofty moral standards.

Revolution has the moral philosophy of the film "Taken" in that as long as the very annoying, sobbing,teenage white virgin drama queen girl and boy are OK everyone else can die for them without anyone caring.

Everyone involved with Revolution should quickly watch the 1984 BBC drama "Threads" and start again before it gets the cancellation notice it currently deserves. Also please kill off that sobbing girl.

Rought start for a great show

Author: slash83_mus from Amersfoort, the Netherlands
13 May 2013

Revolution is one of those shows that gets buried under a load of criticism for showing the viewers a future they can't identify themselves with. All of a sudden plot holes become so important to the general public, they use every single one of them to burn the show down, even if these plot holes haven't had a chance to be explained by the writers because the show is only half-way in it's first season.

The entire show is based on a fictional future where every single piece of electronic equipment started failing, all at once, by some mysterious and unexplained force. Being thrown back to medieval means of living for several decades, the story picks up when several individuals start looking for answers to this mystery, helped by rumors of one of the governments being able to 'turn back on the lights' shortly. In the years following the black-out, governments worldwide have fallen, lacking their entire infrastructure of communication and transportation, thus unable to govern millions of people. Civil wars lead to the formation of several smaller governments, those who came out on top in the struggle for survival in the aftermath of the disaster.

What follows is a pattern of discoveries, solving the mystery piece by piece by a band of unlikely heroes, ranging from kids to grown ups, each with secrets of their own. Every episode answers some questions but raises even more.

This pattern is hard to find when you first start watching the show. In the first few episodes, the writers overwhelm the viewers with tons of questions. This strategy isn't yet paying off, a lot of viewers stopped watching because they find the show too mysterious, too full of unexplained plot holes and unlikely character motivations.

But here's the thing: Most of the things criticized about this show actually makes sense, as long as the viewer is ready to suspend his disbelief for some time and allows himself to emerge into the world the writers have created for the viewers. It might feel like a pool of quicksand at first, but giving this show time to develop is key to enjoying it the way the writers intended.

To be honest, I cannot understand almost all the negative reviews on this show. Based on what reviewers tend to write about the plot holes and seemingly impossibilities, I bet every single one of them structurally dislikes fiction, especially science fiction. How do these people not dislike movies like Star Trek, the Jacket, the Fifth Element, Mad Max, Escape from New York, Blade Runner, the Terminator or RoboCop, to name just a few? These are filled with plot holes, fictional future governments, unlikely characters and unexplained mysteries yet these are all loved by many or called 'cult', rarely being criticized like "Revolution" is.

Add to the equation this show is written and produced by people responsible for hit series like Lost and you know on forehand most questions will be answered only after many episodes, in a very slow pace, if at all. Try watching 10 episodes of 'Lost' and ask yourself: Do I understand what is going on? Because you simply won't. That's the point, you must allow yourself to be emerged in the mysterious world created by the makers of this show, suspending disbelief until they think the time has come to answer some questions you've had for over 20 episodes or so.

For me personally, all this show lacks is a feel of a solid team of writers, producers, directors and actors: the first 10 episodes or so feel a bit sloppy, like the entire crew couldn't really get used to the scope of the show's heading. But trust me, it gets better and better, and after several episodes the characters seem to feel more at home in this strange world of mystery, improving the quality of the show on each episode.

Is this a great show? It is - if the people behind it get a chance to steer clearly towards their goal and so far, it feels like the show is hugely underrated by so many, criticizing it on every minor plot hole.

Or else, maybe those people should stop watching science-fiction altogether...

I love this TV show!!!

Author: Luiziana Negoita from Romania
9 March 2013

First of all i don't write reviews,so i wasn't planning to do one now,but the main review on this page and the ratting got me all MAD!!!I saw the 10 episodes in 1 night and i wanted MORE.It reminds me of LOST with the flashbacks and the moments when i realize that one character is not that good or that bad.

The show cut me to the core with the story of having no electricity,and how the world would manage the situation,to the point that i think all the time what i would do in that situation.The characters are very well constructed,strong individuals,you want to be them,you love them you hate them.From my point of view the image is nicely done,how the show is filmed,i appreciate the work these people put into this,how they manage to create this fabulous future,everything is fine by me!!!!

Writing this,hopefully will get in the first page and people will read it,and hear me when i say,it's a great show to watch,is fun and it will get you away from this world,that is all we need after all,escape,let our imagination roll.

A waste of electricity watching it

Author: darkeyes9090 from United States
27 September 2012

The show is, to elegantly sum it up, quite horrible. As so many have noted, the science (planes fall straight down out of the sky, muskets, no steam power etc.) is bad enough, but could be ignored with suspended disbelief, if the remaining criteria for a well done show didn't also fall flat.

When one has to point to the CGI as being the only saving grace, there is a problem. The actors are bland at best and annoying at worst. They neither look nor behave as though they come from a dangerous post apocalyptic civilization. The action is terribly repetitive and formulaic. The dialog is boring and only serves as a filler between overly long fight scenes, which themselves do not serve the plot.

In the end what we get is a lot of nothing with a smidgen of plot that is revealed in dribbles and we are supposed to be tantalized enough to keep coming back for more. I might dvr it and watch the last five minutes of each show.

The idea of a post apocalyptic world without electricity excited me, but this show is a real loser. It is more the pity as there are some fine actors involved.

I do not understand this trend of formulaic sci fi with expensive budgets and excellent producers etc. turning out high tech versions of Space Family Robinson. I believe it is insulting to audiences.

To make myself hated even more, I also think that Walking Dead after the first great season is terrible. Endless dialogs revealing lives that I could care less about interrupted by zombie attacks.

It's not as bad as everyone says...

Author: Luke Taylor from United Kingdom
21 May 2013

In 'Revolution' the power is out, militia has taken over and the government has fallen. I feel as if the reviews on this series don't do it justice. It could be argued that it isn't the most realistic portrayal of what would happen if the power went out but, who actually knows what would happen? For me, I watch movies/series to entertain myself and this is exactly what this provides, entertainment. I don't watch movies or films and question their attempts to get it close to reality, I appreciate the entertainment. The character development is good in my eyes, 'Monroe' and 'Miles' used to be leaders of the 'Militia'. Miles dropped out from power and Monroe has now gone insane with his power, after killing thousands they are both pretty much cold- hearted, which leads to some gruesome deaths. They keep dropping clues and hints about how and why the power was turned off. The characters have good links with each other and every episode is more entertaining. After nearly watching the first season of 'Revolution' I am happy to say that it is awesome, I am kept very entertained through out and feel emotion to some characters.

Also if you love 'Breaking Bad', ''Giancarlo Esposito'' is in Revolution and he plays an awesome character, similar to his Breaking Bad role. I recommend this series if you want something to watch. I give it a solid 7/10.

Good Idea, Horrible Execution.

Author: austinzeller from United States
29 September 2012

The whole blackout thing, where the world is without power, is a really interesting subject, however, the story line that was chosen is down right awful. The main character, Charlie, is more obnoxious than Jar Jar Binks in the first episode of Star Wars. The show basically consists of Charlie sobbing about her brother and being outrageously clique and stubborn. In addition to the fundamental problems with the show the whole blackout scenario is pushing the limits. The show states that even batteries and motors will not work, I can see how one could create a world without electrical power but to completely stop the functionality of batteries takes the work of some black magic. Now unless they incorporate Gandalf into the story line I do not see this a feasible scenario. Please, don't waste your time with this show and go read a book.

oh a bleak future we face....looking good and having high school equivalent drama

Author: jennie_hoon from United States
26 September 2012

For me it looked like a regurgitated "Lost". And as much as I love PAW fiction, I had a difficult thing with some things… not the how, what and where, but rather the softening up and romanticizing the harshness of a potential reality. Yeah, I know...its Hollywood.

I found the characters mainly looking like they came out of an Old Navy commercial…with perfect teeth and hair, and clothing that was amazingly stylish. Obviously someone had power to keep the straightening irons working...and the skills that survived well were dentistry, cosmetology and fashion design.

The planes falling from a flat spin from the sky instead of a diminished trajectory...still having navigation lights on didn't lend to realism in the beginning.

A detail that I laughed about was when they walked upon an RV on its side…with an open window to crawl into…and found the interior looking pretty much brand new after 15 years. There were others but I let them go at that point. Maybe I need to watch more episodes, but after the first show, I'm not sure if I have the time to watch it.

Page 1 of 33:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]