IMDb > The Third Half (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Treto poluvreme

The Third Half More at IMDbPro »Treto poluvreme (original title)

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

The Third Half Gives a Voice to Thousands of Macedonian Jews Killed During Holocaust

Author: meto-koloski from Washington, D.C.
7 November 2012

The best film from Macedonia by far. The storyline is extraordinary, and the director truly does tremendous justice to a period of history largely ignored until now. The faith of the Macedonian Jewish community by the Bulgarian army during World War II is an untold story and this movie gives them and the thousands who were killed a voice.

Soccer, love, Holocaust - the movie is based on a true story and very emotional. The director keeps you interested and engaged throughout the entire time, which is key to being a great movie. It is a movie I can watch over and over again, and will probably cry every time because of the storyline.

I highly recommend this movie and strongly believe it has very good chances to be nominated for Best Foreign Film - very promising.

A beautiful and touching movie based on TRUE EVENTS

Author: John Smithers from United States
21 November 2012

I found this movie to be a beautiful love story while at the same time displaying the war-time atrocities of the Bulgarian Fascist Occupying Army. I read here many apologetic comments about the Bulgar massacres and genocide in Macedonia, of course, from Bulgarians and Greeks, who have a vested interest of presenting Republic of Macedonia in a bad light, as it makes their own fictitious national mythologies obvious lies. There is no need for apologias, the facts are clear, and luckily some of the few Macedonian Jews still surviving today are telling it as it was, as they saw it and experienced it (look it up on youtube, many interviews with survivors). They state very clearly: it was Bulgarian fascists that broke into their homes and threw them out in the middle of the night, it was Bulgarian fascists that loaded them into the trains to Treblinka Death Camp and gave the lists to the Germans. There are no two ways about it.

And for the little, insecure Greeks who forgot that Bulgaria was their eternal enemy and are now attacking the Republic of Macedonia as "having no history", "being a new country" and similar BS, I have one question: did the population of the Republic of Macedonia fall from the sky suddenly in 1991? Because that is the only way not to have history - if they fell from the sky. What they would like the world to forget is that Macedonians have fought for their own country for MILLENIA, and were always beaten down by Greek and Bulgarian thugs. The people of RoM today are the descendants of the same people living there for the last 4000 years. Sometimes they were called Greeks, sometimes Romans, sometimes Bulgarians, some times something else, but they were ALWAYS there, and today, of their own free will, they choose to be called Ethnic Macedonians, WITHOUT disavowing millenia of history and ancestry in which they were called by other names. That's all.

A beautiful movie

Author: ger D from Republic of Macedonia
19 October 2012

First off I think it's necessary to explain as much as I can the historical background in Macedonia at that time so that non-Macedonians can understand the film more easily. Macedonia was occupied by the Ottoman Empire(modern Turkey) from late 14th century until 1912. Territorially Macedonia was much bigger than it is now. All of that changed during the Balkan wars (1912- 1913). Macedonia's neighboring countries gained independence in 19th century (mostly with help from Russia and UK). They assured Macedonia to help in getting rid of its occupier. They kept their promise during the first Balkan war during which Turkey was defeated. But their true plans surfaced soon enough which was to divide then-free Macedonia. And that's what happened , Greece got 50 % off the territory, Serbia and Bulgaria 20 % and Albania 5 %.The part that Serbia took was first part of the SFRY. After the breakup of the federation Macedonia became an independent country in 1991. So modern Macedonia is actually those 25 % off its original territory. That's why in the beginning of this movie there are Serbian flags, generals etc, even their anthem is sang when the football team came back from their first victory on the train station ( Macedonians refused to do it obviously). During WWII Bulgaria participated in the Axis invasion of Yugoslavia and Greece by letting German troops attack from its territory. As a reward, the Axis powers allowed Bulgaria to occupy parts of both countries (this included Macedonia). In regard to the movie I thought it was solid. Sasko Kocev and Katarina Ivanovska had mediocre performances, whereas Richard Sammel, Emil Ruben and Mitko Apostolovski were top- notch. The cinematography is also excellent.

I found the depiction of the history of Macedonian Jews grim and heartbreaking. However there were a lot of subplots that the director tried to incorporate into one story, and I thought that didn't leave out enough space nor time for each to fully develop. The ending was quite strong though, eventually the good things in life will prevail.

My vote is 7.9/10

Better Football Story Than Love Story

Author: s-arsov from Netherlands
13 October 2012

The Actors Performance of the leading actors are one of the weakest links in the film. Ivanovska has serious problems in portraying the higher class role that she is assign to here. Kocev sounds more gentlemen-like than her. Ivanovska appearance is attractive but her acting skill are quite low making the love story not to be so good. Kocev compared to Ivanovska looks like a much better actor but he is not great also. However the rest of the cast is much better than the leading couple. Serbedzija is great also the couch Sammel other actors with memorable performance are Apostolski (the club president) and the Bulgarian officer.

The Storyline Is well written does a good job of incorporating many different and parallel story lines and has multiple levels. Give a nice impressions of the "spirit of the time". It is also interesting that all characters speak their native language instead of some artificial "common language" aka English what gives more realism to the film.

The Camera and Photography are good the camera functions very well in dynamic and static mode give nice aspect of the dynamic football game and more static narrative. The photography is bright and positive dispute the sometimes dark narrative. You can fell the warmth of the land and southern summer sun.

The Music and the Sound Are maybe weakest links of film along with the acting of Ivanovska. The music consist of traditional song singed by the protagonists the rest of the music is standard issue Hollywood music clips. The sound is also a bite problematic some of the comments by the football players are hard to hear due to the high background noise.

The Director did a well job in organized this a bite complicated film and hard to tell story. Although he lack sometimes the creativity and goes into well known clichés.

How to be more understood

Author: Upevcebster from Republic of Macedonia
7 October 2012

As it is obvious there are too many languages used for almost all actors. In my opinion it is very hard to distinguish for foreigners between Macedonian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Croatian, German, Jutish-Latino... That is the reason that I propose when translating the title for different languages to be written using different font shape and if possible different color. This will enhance full understanding of the story, especially taking into account that some actors speak several languages. Doing so it will clarify the main message (according to my understanding) sent to us by the author: Love can find its way in any circumstances, and it is always stronger than hate.

Outstanding work of art. Amazing cinematography

Author: Katalina Kaval from Balkans
10 March 2013

This movie is one of the best outstanding Macedonian movies ever made in the history of Macedonian cinematography.

The Third Half is filled with lots of painful truths assembled in a beautiful love story continued with soccer events that wake up the spirit inside you. It's amazing that this movie so easily creates the cheering effect and you are cheering all the way.

While watching the movie i smiled so good, I was laughing out loud at certain extremely funny moments and then I cried. After crying I laughed again, I laughed so sweet I loved the taste of those tears. In the end I cried smiling. This movie creates such strong emotional waves that you are not able to resist the urge to go along with them.

We were organized to watch the movie in the USA embassy and I would like to thank all the guys who made this happen.

Amazing work of art! Watch it and you will absolutely love it!

Is it really an eye opener?

Author: alexfilanovski from United States
3 December 2012

I would not dare to say that movie is an eye opener, unlike my fellow Anonymous New Yorker. I would not even believe someone educated enough can say that a movie (any movie) is an eye opener. A movie is a movie and can't be a substitute for real knowledge, book reading and history research. From this point of view I would agree with those who said that this specific movie distributes ideas meant to be planted in the minds of people who think movies (this one specifically) can open their eyes. This is the targeted audience and with a reason. "Bulgaria was a fascist country after all, during World War 2 at least" - oh, well, but so was Germany, Italy, Romania, Hungary, France, because of its collaborative government, etc. I would say so was even Yugoslavia since it signed a treaty with Nazi Germany, much the same as Bulgaria did, but then there was a coup there which dismissed that treaty shortly before Germany invaded. In the same train of thoughts one can say - Macedonia was a communist country after all, for much longer time than Bulgaria was a fascist country. And we know that there is only one small step going from fascism to communism. In a way Macedonia continues with the policies of the communist past even today. So what, do we need to find another eye-opening movie for that? I gave 2 to that movie only with respect to the effort some of the artists put into it. Otherwise, for me at least it is just serving a political agenda.

Lame!

Author: Brick Top from Canada
4 February 2014

I see that there are some people who really liked the movie. I respect their opinion and I condone it. But based on my criteria for cinema, it does not rise to, even, average. Is this a football film? Is it a love story? I did not get it. It is only sad that in Europe of the 21st century, people from the arts and the academia may be used so unscrupulously for one state's government propaganda. To represent or educate about history trough artistic cinematography takes a great deal of honesty and responsibility. Here I must acknowledge the following: Academy Award winner, the producer of Schindler's List Branko Lustig, who is of Croatian/Jewish descent, turned down the offer to produce the movie....And that speaks volumes!

a testimony

Author: Kirpianuscus from Romania
1 August 2016

embroidery of stories. slice of history. joy, love, ambition, passion. and the war. changing all. a great film for the fine recreation of atmosphere. for the good intentions. for the sketch of love story. for the passion for football in coherent manner. like many films from the East, a form of exorcism. not real surprising. because the art is tool for old testimonies about pain, injustice, hope, small victories. and this is the motif for see The Third Halv. more as a collection of old photos than example of acting. because remains the impression of fear of actors to assume in real manner, the roles. sure, an explanation could be the absence of artistic skills. but important remains the authenticity of scenes from a lost Macedonia and the stories of this in many ways, ignored land.this is the essence of the work of Darko Mitrevski. and it is an admirable work.

Entertaining, if the political side is a bit crude

Author: Andres Salama from Buenos Aires, Argentina
19 July 2014

In Macedonia, during World War II, a football team hires a German coach to improve its results. But the war will son caught up with the team, as the German-allied Bulgarian army invades the country. Sasko Kocev stars as Kosta, a handsome if a somewhat rakish footballer. Kosta pursues the beautiful Rebecca (Katarina Ivanovska), the daughter of Don Raphael (veteran actor Rade Serbezidja), a wealthy Jewish businessman. Richard Sammer is Spitz, the German trainer, who is persecuted by the authorities after they find he is a Jew (this is based on a real character, though many details were changed). The movie also covers a lot of political issues, like the Bulgarian-Macedonian rivalry, which I can't comment on deeply since it is a territory I'm quite unfamiliar with. This political aspect can be quite crude. For instance, all the Bulgarian characters look bad here, starting with the nasty General Gorvanov (a great performance of Emil Ruben). Overall, this is an entertaining film. Note: the former Yugoslavia seems to have cornered the market on period football films: some years ago, there was a fine Serbian film called Bog Te Video, about the Yugoslavian team that played in the 1930's World Cup.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]