IMDb > Any Day Now (2012/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

A review in response to mikejackson-2

Author: cbnspanky2 from United States
17 December 2012

Opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one. That being said, I loved this movie. Yes, due to the constraints of a 2 hour movie, the leads fall into a serious relationship quite quickly. And maybe two guys in West Hollywood circa 1979 may not have fallen in love exactly like this, but darn it, does every gay film have to depict us all as un feeling sexual beings only. What a great message for future generations, and a timely one with gay marriage at the supreme level, that some gay men actually do want love and a family. My biggest compliment to the film was that by the end I was to enraged to cry. With only 16 theaters in the country showing this, and a mere 40k weekend, I feel so fortunate to have seen it in the theater. Ignore his 4 out of 10 rating and seek this little gem out.

Brilliant film with an unforgettable performance by Alan Cumming

Author: pyotr-3 from Washington DC
16 December 2012

After the movie ended, the entire audience stayed long afterwards, stunned and devastated by what they had seen.

I expected to be able to predict the ending of this film, but I was very wrong. It was completely unpredictable.

The relationship between Cumming's character and the lawyer was very touching, though it did require an actor of Alan Cumming's massive talent to make the relationship believable. Cumming deserves an Oscar for his performance. I can not imagine that any other actor will surpass Cumming's magic here.

The story takes place in 1979, a year I remember well because I always say it was my favorite year, and I think that they captured the look and feel of 1979 very well.

This is a very beautiful movie that everyone should see. A great story, well acted, and one that will be commented on for years to come.

A must see!

Author: i3adfish7 from United States
15 January 2013

I saw this movie on a whim at the Palm Springs Film Fest and I feel like I left the theater a different person. I loved this story in all its heartbreaking glory. Alan Cumming's performance was wonderful and raw and at times I felt as enraged, as hopeful, as passionate and as proud as he did. I experienced so many emotions during the film that I was spent afterward, and I'm not ashamed to admit that I shed many tears during and after the movie.

I didn't know what to expect going in and I am so glad I picked this film. I could say more, but I don't want to spoil anything for the next person. Love, love, love - thank you Travis Fine.

Surprisingly Authentic

Author: jdesando from United States
31 January 2013

With ample opportunity to turn heavy-handed and sappy, Any Day Now is surprisingly authentic without jerking tears about a 15 year old Down-Syndrome boy being saved from institutions by a male couple. The film does not turn on sentiment but rather on the weakness of the 1979 judicial system that might deny custody just because the parents are gay.

Rudy (Allan Cumming) is a drag queen, who wants to care for neighbor boy, Marco (Isaac Leyva), abandoned by druggie mom. Paul (Garret Dillahunt), an assistant district attorney, comes out to Rudy and falls in love with him. Both men love Marco, yet they struggle to convince the court that because a couple is gay, it should not be denied custody.

It is the '70's after all, and being gay and a drag queen can be a real drag for the authorities. To the film's credit, even the tough-minded judges can have moments of sympathy. Minor players like the prosecuting attorney go beyond stereotype, and the ending goes against expectations, a real plus for a film that could have followed the play book for tears and happiness.

An audience favorite at Tribeca and Chicago film fests and winner of the Golden Space Needle award at Seattle, Any Day Now, inspired by a true event, delivers an honest conflict with an honest conclusion. I'll take that any day now

Where is the audience for this great film?

Author: avenuesf from United States
31 May 2013

I've never been a fan of Alan Cumming, but this film has turned me around. He gives a great performance in this, and it's confounding to me why this never got a broader release. Yes, there are some flaws in the way the 70's are portrayed, and some of the characterizations are a little trite; but I thought overall the film was poignant and made its statement very effectively. Like other reviewers have mentioned, the ending was not at all what I thought it would be and took me by surprise. What stays with me after seeing the film are the brief clips of Cummings singing, in particular, "Love Don't Live Here Anymore," in which he almost sounded like someone wounded. I will be buying this DVD, as I really feel like the film wasn't given much of a chance at the box office to gain the wider audience it deserved.

Moving Human Drama

Author: sonjaboyce1974 from United Kingdom
17 June 2013

I was lucky enough to see this film while I was on holiday in Arizona and attended some screenings at The Sedona Film Festival. I didn't know anything about the film but have always been a fan of Cumming so chose this as one of the films to see. I wasn't disappointed, in fact I think it's fair to say this film completely blew me away and I left the cinema a bit of an emotional wreck! Some of the plot points at times may feel a bit rushed or contrived but if you just go with it you can enjoy a really beautiful, moving human drama. That's exactly what I chose to do and moved I was! The performances from all the cast are top notch, but Alan Cumming really is outstanding. I've never seen him better. It's really nicely shot and scored. The costumes and hair (!)are bang on period and the film flows seamlessly from beginning to the shocking end, which I had not anticipated and left me reeling! Would I recommend this film, in a word YES!

...misunderstood.

Author: werewolf_son from Romania
29 June 2013

Is not about being gay or straight and all the rainbow movement in the world, is not about the handicapped children who can't fight back, is not about some zen message that must make you grow and become a better person. Is not about drugs, sex, violence... It's all about love. And how people can't see THE LOVE even if it stay right before them. You can talk about how good is Alan Cumming, or how emotionally is the music...you can talk about the story,a true story...but, in the end it's all about love. If this is a problem for you, don't watch this movie. Go see a blockbuster or something that can make you forget that life is beautiful, but filthy with crappy people.

Adoption

Author: jotix100 from New York
1 January 2013

Love and compassion for a mistreated young boy, Marco, suffering from Down syndrome, is the basis of "Any Day Now", a film with its heart in the right place. The subject matter is not exactly suitable for a studio production because it has the added peculiarity that the people looking to do the right thing are a gay couple who must put up with prejudice and ignorance from the legal system in the country.

The film directed by Travis Fine, who co-wrote the screenplay with George Arthur Bloom, offers a glimpse at a thorny issue in our society. Is it terribly wrong that two gay men, willing to raise Marco as their son, be denied custody just on the basis of their life style,and not on the love in their hearts? It seems unfair toward a boy who has been totally neglected by a drug addicted mother who brings men into her cramped apartment, instead of letting Marco be with Rudy and Paul, who are willing to do for him what a mother from hell will not do.

Obviously, the film was a vehicle for Alan Cumming, a talented actor who surprises with his take on Rudy. Mr. Cumming has a chance to sing in the film with his unique style and elegant delivery. Garrett Dillahante does not fare as well, but his role is not the flashy One.The best sequences in the movie are the ones in which a courtroom is involved. Frances Fisher, Gregg Henry, Chris Mulkey, and Don Franklin are seen in supporting roles.

Has a few basic flaws but beautifully made....

Author: gulla-harsha from India
14 April 2013

I would start by saying that Alan Cumming did an excellent job in depicting the character "Rudy" in the movie . The story line was warm and new but the only downside to the movie is that the movie is set in the late 70s but dressing and art work suggest otherwise. Some characters in the movie were well defined but some were quite vague.The camera work was OK, nothing too special.The movie completely deserves a better rating than it has right now. Overall a very entertaining and touching movie. I would not regret watching the movie twice. PS: Make sure you carry a tissue paper with you. You might drop a tear or two while watching the movie.

This should have received more attention.

Author: McCamyTaylor from United States
6 July 2013

I watched the movie because I admire the work of Alan Cumming, and yes, he was (as always) brilliant as the singer---think Garbo doing Camille but with a five o'clock shadow. He is so completely lovable from moment one that his relationship with the lawyer is 100% believable.

What bothers me about the film is not anything contained within the film. I loved that it did not have the ending that Hollywood has lead us to expect such films to have. I loved that it was realistic. I loved that it celebrated love.

What I am curious about is why is this a "little" film? Given the timeliness of its subject matter, I would have expected it to receive more mainstream attention. Is mainstream American film criticism still uneasy at the thought of a gay couple raising a kid? Why don't we have any openly gay leading actors in the U.S.? What is wrong with our country? Once upon a time, back in the 70s when I was growing up, everyone was "bi", regardless of who you slept with. How did we end up going back in time?

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]