IMDb > Gingerclown (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Gingerclown More at IMDbPro »

Simply horrible.

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
8 July 2014

"Gingerclown" is a film with absolutely no redeeming values whatsoever. It is a terrible film with little, if anything, positive I can say about the production. It lacks originality, is full of terrible acting, has horrible dialog, features incredibly dated special effects and made me wonder who would want to see or make such an awful movie. Is it bad enough that it might one day make one of my Worst Film lists? Read on to find out for yourself.

The film starts off behind the iconic Hollywood sign in the hills of California. So why, then, do some of the kids in this film sport Hungarian accents while others do not? Well, it's because the movie was actually shot in Hungary--and mostly in an amusement park after hours. Yes...and amusement park. I assume that aside from the abandoned roller disco and summer camp in the woods, this is the most likely setting for a slasher film--one that has been used so many times that it's become a cliché.

The gist of the film is this: a nasty jock (again, how original) dares a nerd and a sexy girl to go to the abandoned amusement park after dark. There, all sorts of hellish (and annoying) creatures hunt them. That is THE plot.

So why did I hate this film so much apart from it being not one bit original or fun? Well, the dialog is the biggie here. Rarely have I ever heard such crappy lines being uttered in a film. Sure, the movie was filled with tons of cursing and crude comments--but often this seemed to be a crutch. In other words, as the writer had nothing of value to say, they sprinkled the film with these nasty lines because that was apparently all they had. Here are a few edited examples of the thespian-like dialog in Gingerclown: '...are you a f****** retard or what?!'

'suck my b**** dude'

'what do you want wormface?'

Needless to say, the film has nothing particularly intelligent to say-- even for a teen slasher film (and that is saying a lot!). Frankly, I'd be ashamed to write anything this wretched and can't see how any writer would take credit for this sort of bilge.

In addition to the horrible dialog, the characters are truly caricatures. Everyone seems like they were created by a 12 year-old who is trying hard to include all the traditional stereotypes. This, combined with the dialog, brings us characters who are simply annoying and stupid. When you also add that many of the actors cannot act and annunciate the wrong syllables, it makes for a painful viewing experience.

So is this film bad film list-worthy? I don't really know. Most of the films I've put on my previous bad films lists were terrible but unintentionally funny to watch because they were so bad. In the case of "Gingerclown", however, the movie is simply unfunny and a waste of time. The only real value I could see was showing it to young filmmakers and screenwriters to show them an example of what not to do.

Not a mainstream movie

Author: Hrutka Pal from Hungary
24 June 2013

I was at the actual world premiere of the movie (which was fully occupied, I don't know what the other reviewer is actually talking about...) and I can see, why many people will have their issues with the movie.

You need to understand, that if the trailer says "In the style of the 80ies", it REALLY means "In the style of the 80ies". It is having all the clishés over and over, that teenagers from now will hardly enjoy this. Gingerclown is clearly a genre movie.

So if you are an eighties child, you'll be more friends with this flick, but unfortunately still it's having several issues.

The actors are quite bad (most of all the woman and her endless yelling/screaming made my ears bleed), there is hardly anything you'd call horror, almost no gore and many of the scenes feel unreasonably stretched. You'll need a lot of patience.

Also the ending...Well, see it for yourself.

I liked the monsters though, even if mostly only their heads were built properly. They had their charm, the famous voice actors had surely their fun. They could've gotten a bit more airtime, but it was okay.

It had some funny moments too, but overall the movie was unfortunately a letdown, it's hard to call this a horror-comedy, when it's not that funny or scary. They tried too hard with all the nostalgic things what made many of the 80ies movies so bad, it was a bit too much in the end.

Gingerclown is a dork movie

Author: tdrish from United States
29 August 2014

I didn't set my expectations too high with Gingerclown. I wasn't expecting a high body count, blood and guts flick...heck, I wasn't even expecting a good movie. What I was expecting, however, was Tim Curry reprising his "IT" clown role, that's what the hype was all over. Unfortunately, I didn't get that either. What was Gingerclown, then? Gingerclown is...how can I describe? Gingerclown is Tim Burtons Alice In Wonderland gone wrong. The reviews are all true, the acting is bad, the blood and slime is kept to a minimum, and there's no sugar coating it, THE STORY SUCKS! What's more of a letdown then anything, is the fact that virtually nothing happens in this movie. I mean, nothing! Sorry, let's rewind: Our story takes place in 1983 ( wow! the year our Hungarian director was born! Coincidence?) The first eleven or so minutes of Gingerclown ( clocked in at a total running time of just over 80 minutes) is just some jock drunk kid screaming and yelling very loudly, in fact, I was starting to think maybe he was the Gingerclown, no, he's just a clown. He dares a young boy to go into uncharted territory with his girlfriend ( the jocks girl) at a high cost...he wants them to bring back something good. Something good? Yeah, bring back a better script for this movie! By the 23 minute mark, we've already met some of the cheesy monsters. They don't get any better as the movie goes on. Most of them just do more heavy cussing then come out as being remotely scary, or doing anything that would put them in danger. There were a few scenes worth noting, although wildly bizarre. There's a...death on a ride, that's all I can say without spoilers. There's a...okay, it's just one scene worth noting, so what do you want? A lot of the later monsters just seem to be plain stupid, dripping ridiculous amounts of fluid, and just bickering and snapping on one another. The only reason why I gave Gingerclown 5 out of 10...you can tell the efforts were there. They did try, and credit has to be given for that. Story suffers, virtually no violence, and nothing happens, but the realism of 1983 is there, and you can't beat that.

Absolutely Awful

Author: nebk
16 July 2014

This movie tries to recreate a nostalgic 80s horror look about a trio of teenagers battling monsters in an abandoned amusement park. As a result the movie looks as if it was made in the 1980s using bad animatronic effects. The result is truly awful. Not because the movie looks bad (although it does), but because it has a terrible story and even worse acting by all involved. The protagonists are unknowns who just can't act, although given the material it is not surprising that it is difficult for them. Although it has Tim Curry, Lance Henriksen and Sean Young amongst others doing the voices of the monsters, this adds nothing to the film as their involvement is minimal and the dialogue itself is badly written. The voice actors probably agreed to do this knowing that at least their faces won't be on screen.

The story itself is clichéd beyond all belief. There is the nerd who is in love with a hot girl who is dating a bad tempered jock. All of them stereotypes. The jock forces the nerd to go into an abandoned and supposedly haunted amusement park. The jock's friends who sound Hungarian cheer this dumbness on. The girl pitying the nerd goes in after him, and then the jock does the same. Then they are pursued by weird monsters such as Gingerclown, Wormface etc. The jock gets what he deserves and the other two survive. And that's pretty much it. There is plenty of profanity, and the characters make decisions which make no sense. There is nothing positive to say about this movie. It's badly written, badly acted with bad dialogue and implausible events. Best avoided at all costs.

Terrible

Author: mattbowler from United States
12 July 2014

Let me say first, I rarely have had the overwhelming desire to shut off a movie without first 1) giving it the benefit of the doubt 2) watching it long enough to make an informed opinion on the work. With regard to this film; Within 25 minutes, I was completely disinterested in continuing.

I kept looking for any glimmer of hope; some redeeming quality about it, that would bring it to at least the level of "watchable".

Firstly, the special effects & cinematography: Although I did enjoy the simple, creepy, properly-stylized, well-scored opening credits, the rest was very disappointing. I understand it was to be an "80's feel" - but I feel like they literally used 80's technology, 80's specials effects, 80's everything; and for that reason and others, it failed miserably. I am a "child of the 80's" and this movie most certainly did NOT make me feel all "warm and nostalgic".

The bigger problem came when the actors & actresses opened their mouths. At that point, the two biggest (most fatal) flaws of the film were exposed; the bad acting, and the bad script. Tim Curry, you are better than this man! I don't even know why he joined this project (slim pickings elsewhere?) I don't like calling people out by name, but Erin Hayes..She was just terrible in this film. I won't ramble on with flowery adjectives, but we all know poor acting when we see it; it's just awkward and uncomfortable. Yes, it's a given that the script was as, if not more terrible than the acting. And yes, I think most would agree that GOOD actors/actresses with a BAD script, can still pull off a GOOD movie despite bad writing. This is not the case. Although Mr. Ashley Lloyd's performance is better (and easily eclipses) than Ms. Hayes' performance, the fact remains the same; the acting stinks.

The script! AUGH! Someone once told me; people swear out of ignorance, because they have nothing better or more intelligent to say. This seems to be a perfect fit for this film. It would seem that the writers ran out of ideas and substituted those ideas with copious, pointless, annoying, and ultimately distracting amounts of profanity. The rest of the script is like a rapid-fire succession of bad one-liner dialog (ie: "through here!" and "What was that?" and "I'm scared!"). This was so unpleasant to watch.

One can only hope that it was all a matter of budgeting problems or some similar issue. I did not see a stated budget, or a ticket office gross, so one can only guess.

As I myself never rely solely on other people's opinions and prefer to form my own - take it with a grain of salt. But then, if every reviewer says essentially the same thing - you have to wonder.

Almost down there with the worst of SyFy/The Asylum

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
23 November 2014

As harsh as that sounds Gingerclown really is that terrible, if not quite so much as to be down there with the worst films ever made. To be honest there wasn't much to expect considering how pretty bad the trailer looked, but when the likes of Brad Dourif, Lance Henriksen and Tim Curry are involved you couldn't help but want to see it for curiosity. As bad though the movie is there was effort put into it, but when the movie tries too hard in paying homage to 80s horror it doesn't look that way, instead of it actually trying too hard it looks like small glimpses of effort in a sea of inept schlock.

The sets do give off some atmosphere and look very like what you would find for an 80s creature feature or horror, hardly house basement quality here. Unfortunately what effort went into the sets did not show in the rest of the production values. The lighting was far too dark a lot of the time(most of the time when the creatures appear you can't even tell which is which and have to rely on the voice to work out), even for an 80s-set horror film at night-time, and the photography and editing managed to look cheaper than the worst-looking 80s horror(it never did give off a nostalgic vibe, all it was was cheap), but it were the special effects and puppetry that were especially bad. The creatures look little more than Halloween costume decorations, exude little personality and move in a way that suggest that they would fall over any minute.

With the music, there was one place where it was done very well and that was in the opening credits. That was some creepy scoring there and gave me the feeling that the movie would not be as bad as the trailer looked. The rest of the movie however was very generic, over-scored stuff with a number of the cues/music choices being wildly inappropriate and too stuck in the 80s. It was the script where Gingerclown falls down hardest on, it's just appalling and should never have been approved. You know that something is wrong when the still face palm-inducing "quack quack quacker..." is the most memorable line of the entire script and movie. The comedic lines and the slapstick are not funny in the slightest, if anything it's immaturity at its worst that was best flushed down the toilet(the big names were most likely secretly wishing they had). Every single one of the one-liners(childish and over-used), irrelevant ramblings and ridiculous over-load of cussing(some of it clearly there with no reason other than for the sake of it) were mind-numbingly annoying and enough to make anybody cringe.

The story is pretty much the same, improving very little over the cringe-worthy plot synopsis. Quite a lot of it is uneventful and randomly structured actually with padded scenes, a lot of rambling and little if any exposition and also consists of all the characters constantly making decisions that don't make any sense and that it never explains the origins of the creatures. What hurts the story even more is the complete lack of atmosphere. The setting made for such a great idea and could have provoked thrills, scares and a glimpse of innocent fun but Gingerclown is not scary at all, the bad visuals are part of the problem but that the movie is never sure where and when to focus on comedy slapstick or on house of horrors. It's too padded out to be thrilling, as well as being so painfully predictable, and while this viewer likes to think themselves as very patient they found themselves looking at the clock before the halfway mark(which has not happened in some time). And it's too crude and structurally and tonally messy to be any fun.

Gingerclown has terrible characters too, the lead trio are so annoying in personality and in their decision making that you wish they'd be done away with quickly. They're horrendously acted too, can't decide which is the worst of the three as they are as bad as each other. Erin Hayes seemed to mistake screaming her lines for acting, Ashley Lloyd whines and whimpers through his role and Michael Cannell-Griffiths' constant yelling is assault on the ears. Which brings us onto the celebrities(Tim Curry, Brad Dourif, Lance Henriksen, Michael Winslow and Sean Young) voicing the creatures. The good news is, their acting is undoubtedly far better than that of the lead trio and there is no problem recognising the voices. The bad news is, they are woefully under-used, no matter how hard all of them tried( the voice acting itself actually is not bad at all) their characters just aren't on screen anywhere near long enough and their material is too awful to properly do anything with it. The most memorable of them- and of the movie in fact- is by far Tim Curry, as the voice of Gingerclown he is genuinely creepy, he's also badly used and has worthless material but he does manage to make it come alive through his menacing delivery. While the script and story are the biggest failings in Gingerclown, it is the waste of these talented celebrities that angers me the most.

Overall, terrible in almost every way apart from the sets, the music in the opening credits and Tim Curry. The script, story, characters, acting and puppetry are all of Z-grade quality, and you'd expect the big names to liven things up. Instead they're saddled with pretty insignificant characters and worthless dialogue which wastes them in what is most likely the worst film for all 5 of them(yes Henriksen's been in a fair few stinkers but at least they utilised him better). Waste of talent is a pet peeve of mine when it comes to films/movies, they deserved much better than this. 1/10 Bethany Cox

nice but....

Author: bekker-balazs from Hungary
16 March 2014

I was really looking forward this movie because it's the first Hungarian- American movie for a long time. And I tought this could be an interesting film. Well it was. Partly. The dialogs are very very poorly written, if you give me a keyboard with missing 'e' and 't' keys, I write a better textbook. The story is easily predictable but i could still pretend better that I am afraid than the actors. They were playing really really badly. BUT. Why i gave a 5 out of 10 for this movie is: The picture. It's pretty impressive. I liked it. And the other thing i liked is the place where the film was shooted. The Budapest Amusement park is a part of my childhood. And now that it's closed, only the memories stayed. And this movie, where i could find all the places there which worth a mention. :)

Cool idea. Poor execution.

Author: Joe from United States
17 February 2014

Well, if Tim Burton directed this movie, it might have been a masterpiece. Unfortunately, he didn't and it's far from a masterpiece.

It's not the 80's style that disappointed me. I love 80's flicks especially the cheesy horror ones. This film just seemed so rushed and sloppily put together. The actors were lame and the creatures could have been in the movie a bit more.

On the bright side, some favorites in horror movies do the voices for the clowns including Tim Curry who was Pennywise and Brad Douriff who was Chucky. Also set in an abandoned amusement park in Hollywood. Horror movies about clowns in amusement parks pretty much sell me especially with these voices.

Overall the whole idea was cool, but the execution was poor. Only watch it if your curious.

What?

Author: kosmasp
20 March 2015

I do watch strange movies all the time and this ranks as one of them. Although it does have the added "value" of all those known actors (starting with Tim Curry to Lance Henriksen and some others), lending their talent to this. You might wonder how they got involved, but I reckon it might have been easy money for them.

Clichés aside (Jocks bullying a nerd into going into a haunted place, GF of Jock turning against him and going with the shy "fella" and many more) this has some interesting choices in "monsters". I'm not sure how we're supposed to be scared of them, rather than mildly bemused and completely bewildered. Also completely annoyed ... A strange movie with more than just a clown, though no guarantee you'll have a good time ...

I don't even know...

Author: havenceles from United States
13 July 2014

This movie...

It was like a bad train wreck. I knew I shouldn't look, I really didn't want to keep looking, but I just couldn't tear my eyes away.

It was just...um...yeah. I honestly do not know what to say about it. It did have it's moments, usually when the 2 main actors were not on the screen and the known voice actors were having a go at it. But other then that, it was just bad, but good, but still kind of bad.

I kind of got the whole "Killer Clowns from Outer Space" feeling with it. You know, the kind of movie that is so horrible and cheesy that you have to watch it a couple of times before you can honestly say whether you actually love it or hate it.

So, if you like your movies with an extra helping of cheesiness with a side of "This makes no sense at all" then this is the movie for you.

If you can't stand movies that make as much sense as say, sea-monkey enhanced vodka flavored cheese curls... then just back away slowly and don't even give this movie a second thought.. just go.. now... while you have the chance.

Trust me, it's for your own good.