"Penn & Teller: Fool Us" Teller Sucks ... Helium (2011)

« Prev | 9 of 10 Episodes | Next »

Meh - a vapid 40 minute commercial for contrived magic acts.

Author: huxley edwards from Canada
25 September 2014

Because I see clearly the actual function of this TV show (to promote the lagging magic industry based in Las Vegas) I give this a low rating.

From the first episode - to now the 9th episode of 1st season which I will be using as my prime example that it's rigged.

It's essentially a showcase for up and comers and some veterans. Now that concept is not a bad thing at all! But the fact they veil it in some show which is based on 'stumping' P & T - but since when they do see what the magic act's basis is- they don't bother to break it down for the audience (to keep that act on the road- so to speak) But most tricks are so elementary and many simply rely upon the fixed lens of the camera and simple angle obscuration techniques. So the opener of episode 9 is PERFECT example of exposing the rigging. Penn was asked to help the first act. The guy from Canada. Penn was helping him the whole time achieve this impossible trick to do alone. Notice when there are reveals, both of them act as a team to transfer / obscure. And of course at the end of that act, Penn is stumped - to perpetuate the 'trick' to leave it on the shelf so this act can use it in the future Vegas shows. Plain and simple TV magic of today.