IMDb > Smashed (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

One Fine piece of Filmmaking

Author: KM_391 from New Jersey
18 February 2012

This film was one of two real standouts for me at the Sundance Film Festival 2012. Lead by two Oscar-worthy performances from Mary Elizabeth Winstead (Kate) and Aaron Paul (Charlie), "Smashed" accomplishes the impossible by addressing a very serious topic with depth and sympathy and realism, while still finding time to make the audience laugh hysterically now and then. Director James Ponsoldt and his co-writer Susan Burke deserve high praise for pulling off that feat. Additional kudos go to "Parks and Recreation's" Nick Offerman, as the deadpan sad- sack co-worker who takes Kate to AA and starts her on the road to sobriety. In a role that's the opposite of uber-confident Ron Swanson, he's hilarious as the always-ill-at-ease Dave.

This is one of those rare movies that is just like life: sometimes very funny, sometimes very sad, but always real. I hope it gets the audience it deserves.

Seriously relevant.

Author: soupster1 from United Kingdom
8 March 2013

Writing as an alcoholic... I have 2 things to say about this film. The first is that the learnt ability to 'deal' with life through alcohol abuse, was entirely authentic... and the second is that the loss of important relationships was inevitable with the life changes that salvation demands.

Writing as a film critic... that this taught me something about my own alcoholism... makes it an impressive film from my point of view. The inter-dependent relationship at the centre of this story is entirely real, as is it's eventual de-construction. Only a non-addict would see the interventions contained within the story as being sanctimonious or having some political agenda. This is not an argument... alcohol destroys lives.

The acting from the two 'leads' was excellent. The bigotry towards alcoholism was treated in a perfunctory way... but was still relevant to the story. Most of all... this film portrays the isolation felt by those who escape their entrapments. We all have to take giant steps in our lives... those steps rarely coincide with anyone else's. This film demonstrates that very well.

This was never going to be a film that excites the majority movie-goers...but for those that like films that can tell you something you didn't already know... it is well worth watching.

'Smashed' gets it right

Author: dlrturtle from United States
11 August 2013

I am a recovering alcoholic, 23 years sober. Over the years, I've developed somewhat of an obsession with films on this subject, always looking for my own story. 'Smashed' is that film. Mary Elizabeth Winstead captures the essence of the functional alcoholic perfectly. Her character, Kate, is two people - the respected, enthusiastic teacher by day and the out of control drunk by night. This can work for a while, but there will always come a day when these two worlds literally collide.

This movie hits that mark perfectly. Kate's recognition that she is an alcoholic is tough to watch, but so realistic. I knew I had a problem, but denied it until that one morning I woke up in my car and had flashes of memories from a crazy, chaotic night before. Like Kate, I went to AA that same day, and while I hated it at first, those people saved my life.

This movie is about redemption and loss. Getting sober isn't easy. Life continues and we are left to deal with the wreckage of our past. Those problems we ignored, suddenly explode in our faces. But we deal with them. 'Smashed' should be required viewing at rehab because it's real.

Terrific drama

Author: Robert Splaine from Phoenix, Az.
27 October 2012

A young woman who works as an elementary school teacher confronts her problem with alcoholism. She is forced to deal with her problem after vomiting in front of her 1st grade class. The AA meetings lead to the usual difficulties of recovering alcoholics, regarding marriage and work. An outstanding performance by Mary Elizabeth-Winstead highlights this terrific drama, as she effectively portrays the travails of addiction without being overly dramatic, she realistically dives into this role, carrying the entire film. This movie avoids slow pacing, and really kept me engaged, with a likable lead character, and believable surrounding acquaintances and family members. This is certainly one of the finest films of the year.

Whiskey Lullaby

Author: valis1949 from United States
26 July 2013

SMASHED (dir. James Ponsoldt) Kate and Charlie are 'twenty-something' married alcoholics who live a boozy and carefree life in a working class section of Los Angeles. The problem is that when Kate hits bottom first they soon find themselves emotionally and psychologically at odds. Mary Elizabeth Winstead turns in a stunning performance as a winsome primary school teacher who realizes that alcohol has made her life unmanageable, but her new-found sobriety seems to have accentuated subliminal problems in her married and professional life. The film offers the uncommon insight that an alcoholic's last drink really only marks the beginning of the true struggle. SMASHED is a film of redemption that rings true. Worth A Look

Really touching

Author: Red_Identity from United States
26 February 2013

I think Smashed starts off pretty rough, and the first ten minutes or so don't really have much of an impact. But the film manages to hit its emotional levels pretty hard from then on, and the characters become some truly fascinating and heartbreaking people to watch. I've never really seen Mary Elizabeth Winstead do any worthy acting. Not that she's bad, but I had no idea she was capable of doing what she does here. Of course, it didn't come as a surprise after waiting months for it because of the hype built around her performance. I found some of her drunk moments unconvincing though. Not all, but a few didn't work for me. But even with those flaws, she gives one of the best leading female turns of 2012, and her AA meeting scenes are brilliant, especially her first AA introduction. That scene alone is worth several nominations. Being a huge fan of Aaron Paul in Breaking Bad, I don't think this role was anything out of the ordinary for him, but boy does he make an impact. I'm surprised that he's actually on Winstead's level in several of their scenes together, and they play off each other brilliantly. Spencer also did some fine work, nice to see her here. I found Nick Offerman unconvincing though, and didn't buy him at all.

Overall, very well acted, really good film.

A nearly great movie about the struggles with addiction with a great performance by Winstead. I recommend this. I say high B+

Author: Tony Heck (cosmo_tiger@hotmail.com) from United States
2 March 2013

"I don't think I can do this anymore, I think I need to slow down and I might need help." Kate (Winstead) is an elementary school teacher who loves her job. She is married to a man she loves. One day at school she throws up in class and the class asks if shes pregnant. What starts off as a little lie snowballs until she reveals the truth. Kate is an alcoholic. This is one of the best under the radar movies that I have seen in a long time. While not as intense as Flight was at showing the effects and struggles with addiction this is still a very well done and disturbing look at the problem. Winstead gives an amazing performance in this and deserves to be nominated or at the very least talked about. The movie is depressing and a little hard to watch but it really should be seen by a bigger audience then it will get. I know movies about addiction aren't at the top of everyone's list but this is a movie that I do recommend. Overall, a movie that is hard to watch in some parts but deserves to be seen by more people then will see it. I give it a high B+.

Low Key

Author: kosmasp
3 February 2014

The movie itself is not really a big shouting message to tell people what to do. And even Aaron Paul, whose character may seem one dimensional does have things you'll discover about him. There are more layers there and some need looking at them to see them. Nick Offerman plays it almost silently, but has one completely over the top scene (a scene with a follow-up joke that would fit in any other comedy too), that still does not derail the movie.

But the main protagonist, our woman that we follow is what it's all about. And she delivers in a way that is very heartbreaking to watch. And very real too. Everyday problems and things that get out of hand. You may cringe here and there, but the movie is still able to affect you very deeply.

Not perfect, but a brilliant performance from Mary Elizabeth Winstead

Author: tbmforclasstsar from United States
29 October 2012

Whether it is us or one of the many people we know, it is hard for anyone to say they have never been around someone who has gotten far too drunk; someone that should have been cut off sooner than they were. The mess that results can often times be humorous, while other times it can become a concern. And if it is something that starts to control your life, then it has become a sickness.

This is the subject of the film Smashed, the story of an alcoholic first grade teacher named Kate (Mary Elizabeth Winstead). Married to Charlie (Aaron Paul), Kate has grown up in a world of drinkers; her friends, her family, even strangers she has only just met all seem to live the same lifestyle as she does. But reality sets in when Kate gets to the limits of lying to the children in her class and waking up underneath a highway. Kate has a problem and it is affecting her life and those around her dramatically.

Deciding she needs to make a change, Kate finds her way to an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting through one of her co-workers, Dave (Nick Offerman). Finding she starts to like getting her life together an being sober, Kate continues on with AA through the support of Dave and her sponsor, Jenny (Octavia Spencer). The support she lacks is that of her husband, Charlie, who continues to drink and causes a struggle for Kate in her everyday living. With struggles in her home and work life, Kate realizes that becoming sober and stopping her urge to drink isn't even the strongest challenge in her life. The biggest struggle is mending and holding relationships with the people around her and finding a way to be an honest and good person in her own life.

As I mentioned earlier, drunken behavior is not something many of us are foreign to, whether it is ourselves or someone we have been around during a crazy night. This is important because it is how we judge many portions of this movie. Both Winstead and Paul have to act through multiple scenes where their character is belligerent. Knowing how a drunk would act, walk, and speak becomes an immediate factor, but it is something that both actors perform brilliantly. And this isn't as simple as being able to stumble around or slur words. Dramatic sequences involving violent arguments in a drunken state become the major conflicts in the film and the at ions and words that are said in these moments are the true colors of these characters. As it is said, what we say and do in our drunkest moments are often times our most honest.

But what is more important is those scenes in which Kate is sober or trying to talk to Charlie about their relationship. The raw emotion and power that Winstead displays is not only realistic and strong, it is some of the most powerful acting we have seen from an actress this year. While Winstead has been seen before in films such as Scott Pilgrim vs, the World, The Thing, Live Free or Die Hard, and Final Destination 3, Smashed is her coming out as a very serious and talented actress. She absolutely blew me away this movie and deserves recognition come award season.

To read the rest (IMDb form too short) visit: http://custodianfilmcritic.com/smashed/

Days Of Wine & Roses For A New Millennium

Author: georgep53 from Boston, MA
28 October 2012

The title SMASHED may make you think this is some lurid story about alcoholism but it's not. It's a very straightforward, sensitive treatment on the subject of addiction as seen through the eyes of an elementary schoolteacher, Hannah, beautifully played by Mary Elizabeth Winstead in one of the best performances this year. Winstead is wonderfully authentic as a young woman whose excessive drinking begins to interfere with her job. She's someone we don't expect to find battling this kind of problem which makes the film all the more poignant. Her marriage to a rather shiftless man who spends his time drinking and cavorting with friends doesn't help. As we learn more about her past we begin to understand how she ended up in this relationship. The good supporting cast includes Aaron Paul as her husband, Charlie, who's even more oblivious than Hannah; Oscar winner Octavia Spencer adds some humor to the otherwise grim gospel of withdrawal and recovery; Megan Mullally is the principal of Hannah's school; Nick Offerman is a colleague who takes an interest in Hannah's troubles and Mary Kay Place is her mother who insists she can still mix a great Bloody Mary. The screenplay by director James Ponsoldt and Susan Burke is determined to avoid the melodramatic pitfalls and clichés of similar stories and purposely takes a lighthearted, sometimes comedic approach. SMASHED is an honest, contemporary look at the bad choices we make and impact they have on our lives.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]