IMDb > Postman Pat: The Movie (2014) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Postman Pat: The Movie More at IMDbPro »

Too scary for a 3 year old

Author: Richard-Vialls from North Wales
11 August 2014

I took my three year old son to see this movie as his first experience of cinema. I thought I was fairly safe with Postman Pat, but we left the film early with my son in floods of tears.

So if you've got a captive audience of young kids with a favorite character, what do you don't want to do is make a movie that rides roughshod over him. You don't want to replace the characterful hand animation with flat and poorly executed CGI. You don't want to base the plot on concepts that a 5 year old would struggle with let alone a 3 year old. You don't want to introduce lots of examples of things like newspaper cuttings that your average 3 year old can't actually read. And top of the list, you REALLY don't want to populate the film with robot versions of the children's' favorite characters that march menacingly towards them while firing lasers from red eyes! This movie is not just a flop, it's an open invitation for parents of traumatised children with recurrent nightmares to sue the film's makers. For heaven's sake, if you're going to make a film for small children, get advice on what's appropriate for that age group!

Postman Pat hits the big screen

Author: stephenwilletts68 from United Kingdom
27 May 2014

Just been to see this with my 2 year old. Didn't have any real expectations, I was just hoping my little girl would enjoy the film. However I was very much surprised. Firstly the negative stuff: The animation wasn't very good. The CGI looked a little cheap. Also It would have been good if they could have used the same voices for the main characters. Saying that these things things spoil the film. The makers of the film have really thought of the adults who will be seeing this film with their little ones. Simon Cowbell is a good example. A miserable headhunter, hosting a talent show. He even wore clothes very much similar to a certain person with a similar name. The plot wasn't anything new, but as it's for very little children that can be forgiven. My two year old was laughing and clapping to the film.

However their are a few scenes that might scare some children.

Above all a great young children's film that parents will enjoy watching too.

Postman pat: not for the younger ones...

Author: f_boekhoorn from Netherlands
15 June 2014

We've been enjoying Postman Pat for years, but this new movie wasn't what we expected at all. The Robots in the movie were actually quite scary for the youngest children. Several kids were crying during the movie. The storyline is more suitable for children for ages up from 7 or something like that. A pity...

The older, short, stories never even had bad guys in it. Just normal things happening to people in normal life. And that might be quite interesting enough for young kids...

So, a great person he remains, our beloved hero Postman Pat. But the story he's in didn't touch our hearts.

for children??

Author: Reinier De Vlaam from Netherlands
31 July 2014

I saw this movie with my 4 year old, his first real movie experience, and a disappointing one. At home he loves the postman pat short movies so he was excited to go and see this one. Now he is an always happy kind of guy and sat through the movie. But the excitement was quickly gone I noticed.

Simply too much references to adult-world kind of things like ... got talent, work problems, etc etc that are outside his world. It simply lasted too long.

At the end he was more interested in the different flavors popcorn then the movie. Too bad, missed opportunity

A part of me feels like I should hate this, so why don't I?

Author: ndunsmo from Canada
18 January 2015

I'll admit, for the first half-hour, I really didn't see what was so bad about this film. The first little while felt like an episode of the series and even the talent show story line at least made sense as Pat was doing it for his wife and not for himself, and Pat's always been selfless so that was great. I was already a little sceptical when they revealed the whole Robot Pat thing, but when it escalated into a bigger plot, this was where the movie almost lost me. I was able to accept the existence of cellphones and a PS Vita, of all things, in the world of Postman Pat, but the evil robot thing really shouldn't be connected to this.

And before you say anything, yes, I know movies connected to cartoon shows usually try to differentiate themselves from their source material. And honestly, I think the talent show plot was good enough. You could have had the fame and attention get to Pat's head only for him to learn a lesson in the end and that would have been fine. As if that's not enough, we also get a terminator reference and, yeah, is this really Postman Pat?

However, in spite of all of this, I found this strangely enjoyable, but more as its own stand-alone sort of thing. Like Tom and Jerry the movie, I don't really like this as something connected to its respective series but rather its own entity. Every time the movie did something to make me groan, like when the villain revealed his evil plan before it was too late for Pat to stop him and, probably the most painful of all, Jess not being able to tell the difference between his beloved owner and a robot, it managed to pull me back with either a decent joke or something equally entertaining.

All-in-all, I can see why a lot of Pat fans don't like this movie. After the first half-hour, it starts to lose a lot of its charm in favour for something I'd accept in any other animated film, but I still found it strangely entertaining. I can't recommend it, really, but it's a guilty pleasure for me.

Postman Pat in the 21st century but with disappointing results

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
26 August 2014

Postman Pat was always a family favourite which we still all have a fondness for. Despite being warned very strongly against going to see this film and despite the trailer looking unappetising, I still saw it anyway. It was always going to be a film that would go either way, the amount of talent on board, my general love for family films and for Postman Pat could have suggested that the film would be fun and charming, but there was the worry also that it would look as muddled, target-audience-confused and hasty-looking as the trailer suggested. The film has its moments and it is not from personal opinion quite as bad as heard, but it was a big disappointment. The film begins very promisingly with a very idyllic opening that was the closest the film ever got in resembling the show, the Big Time song is a great upbeat song that has some very funny visual gags, the montage where Pat meets his wife for the first time was very touching and the "Faster Pussy-Bot, Kill Kill!" seemed like a Daleks reference and it was if the case a clever one at that. The soundtrack is catchy and bring energy to the film and the voice cast are good and very enthusiastic, David Tennant sounds like he's having a whale of a time but Steven Mangan, who's very sympathetic and dead-on as Pat, and Jim Broadbent acquit themselves very well too.

Sadly, Postman Pat: The Movie is let down by that it didn't seem to know what to do with itself or know who to aim the film at. The story is rather over-complicated and confused focusing mainly on the talent show subplot and also including a Dr Who-like robot invasion/world domination one, neither of which show any originality, cleverness or charm. The satire for the former is nowhere near sharp enough, the humour actually felt to me rather forced mostly throughout the film and borders on vulgar while the latter felt thrown in and like it belonged in another film altogether, is not all that cleverly or thrillingly done and may contain bits that the younger audience may find scary or upsetting. The script would have benefited from a far more simpler approach and less going on and while it is admirable that the film did clearly think of the adult audience I think it could have done a better job at having more for the youngsters. Some of the jokes will go over their heads, unless they were introduced to Dr Who at a very young age, and if they are familiar with the whimsy and warmth that the show had the film sadly is a far cry from that. The characters are bland, the exceptions being Pat who is very likable and possibly Jess as well but the others lacked personality. The film was unevenly paced with some of the earlier parts in need of more zip and some of the later parts in need of a slow-down, most apparent in a climax that was action-packed but too busy and dark compared to the rest of the film. The soundtrack is one of the best things about Postman Pat: The Movie and Ronan Keating does a great job as Pat's singing voice but it is a case of the singing voice not matching the speaking voice especially in the tone. Just as disappointing as the writing was the animation, the opening was really promising but the rest looked like it was made in a lot of haste and had some very over-saturated and too bright colours, the characters also lack expression and on occasions look creepy, Pat is the one exception. Overall, a disappointing feature film debut of a much cherished classic character, not an awful film and has some good assets but it felt over-stuffed, muddled and bland with some cheap direct-to-video-like visuals with the opening being the only time where it bared any resemblance to the show. 4/10 Bethany Cox

Rather disappointing

Author: Ilias Manos from Lillehammer, Norway
16 August 2014

Both my son and I, anticipated for the movie as we have loved the series, but after watching it, got let down. It has a rather OK "starting point" for the storyline, which consumes all movie with, and just finishes all well out of sudden. More like 5 min intro, 75 min gap and 5 min happy ending. Most annoying part was that this movie is rated universal by both MPAA and BBFC, something rather questionable, considering a whole theater of 4 and 5yo crying because one of the most peaceful and kind heroes, turned into a big bad mean monster for 70+ minutes, letting every parent to explain what's up. Nothing to do with the series, completely different feeling, mentality and atmosphere. 3* max.

Disappointing, the writers loosing a chance to make something good.....

Author: Tekura Maeva from United Kingdom
22 June 2014

As a parent who can enjoy children's animations, this was a disappointment to say the least. I think the writers completely missed an opportunity to make a kids film that could've been endearing, funny, and true to the original TV series. The characters voices were not right, and I think this was mainly because bringing in big name actors to voice was more important than delivering a product- sorry film - to its fans.

The story started quite promising, (a huge smile on my children's face during the opening credits) but very quickly diverted in a direction that just didn't tie in with the whole film. The introduction of a mainstream 'talent' show was unnecessary and didn't work,(in my opinion) and was just far removed from what a child watching would expect - not all children watch British talent shows - and if this was introduced only to make fun of Simon Cowell, then thats just poor writing. All the characters had tiny quirky moments, but it was sporadic throughout, and lost in amongst the poor storyline. Characters such as Ted Glen didn't get much air time, when he could've added a funny slapstick element to it all.

Very disappointed by the this, a completely lost opportunity....

A film that needed to focus more on the youngsters

Author: rogerdarlington from United Kingdom
7 June 2014

I took my three year old granddaughter to see this film but it had nothing like the appeal to her of her earlier visit to "Frozen".

As a familiar character from television and books, Postman Pat (voiced by TV actor Stephen Mangan but with Ronan Keating as the singing voice) has an immediate attraction for young children and the cartoon has plenty of colour, action and songs, although it looks more like a television production than a big screen affair.

However, the storyline's weak double satire - of management efficiency measures in a postal operation called Special Delivery Service and of an overpowering game show host named Simon Cowbell - are better understood by parents than children, so neither age group was terribly enthused.

What has happened to our beloved Postman Pat?

Author: Prez Ez from United Kingdom
2 January 2015

Postman Pat enters the 21st Century and loses its magic.

The original series was a classic (one of my childhood favourites) and obviously you can never recreate that but they have made it worse in trying.

Things in the story like Jess the Cat delivering letters and picking up sheep whilst dangling from a helicopter being flown by Pat are just silly. Or how about Pat's van that still has a knob tuning style radio? Is this a dig at Royal Mail (antiquated?). And at the start Pat enters the sorting office and it is chaos but for some reason there are lots of little bits of paper raining down, which means that customers' letters must be being shredded in the sorting process? Little things like this that do not make sense are all over the place.

OK so kids are going to worry about the little things. The storyline does get quite evil with the plotting bad guy trying to take over in a maniacal Dr Evil style and the robots are scary as has been mentioned in previous reviews.

The opening titles fly-through of the local area was OK but in this day and age the CGI could have been so much better with a more breathtaking world and scenics.

Voices are OK, some could have been better like the more-Scottish-than-the-original Mrs Goggins (voiced by an English actor!?). David Tennant sounds like he's having fun and giving it his all, as usual.

Overall it's OK but could have been so much better. Perhaps I'm being too critical being used to the original series, I don't know.

P.S. Thanks IMDb for suggesting 'favourite' was 'spelt' wrong (see what I did there?), you seem to have the Microsoft default to US syndrome.