"2 Broke Girls" And the Break-Up Scene (2011)

« Prev | 2 of 73 Episodes | Next »

Kat Dennings and Beth Behrs reinvent the 1/2 hour sit-com.

Author: Doug Winters (dougwintersmusic@gmail.com) from Pleasantville, NY
21 September 2011

It's not often that I laugh out loud at a half-hour sit-com. As a matter of fact, I think the last time might have been the first few years of "The Cosby Show." I loved "Entourage" and will sorely miss "Vince," "Ari," "E" and the gang, but that wasn't really a sit-com. But this week I received a delightful surprise. "2 Broke Girls" is truly hilarious. I mean laugh-out-loud hilarious. Kat Dennings was charming, smart and delightful in "Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist" with Michael Cera, and she was the the only reason to see the movie "Thor." The show does have an extraordinary advantage, being executive produced by Michael Patrick King (of "Sex & The City") and comedian Whitney Cummings who has her own self-titled sit-com "Whitney" coming out this week. Ms. Dennings plays "Max" a beautiful young waitress in a Brooklyn diner trying to make ends meet by moonlighting as a baby-sitter to an Manhattan socialite played by Brooke Lyons, who is also hilarious. Along walks Beth Behrs as Caroline, the daughter of a "Bernie Madoff-esque" character. She also has a more-than-vague resemblance to Paris Hilton. Caroline is now completely broke because "they" have frozen all the families assets. She literally owns what she is wearing. But instead of making her some ditzy airhead, we find out that she got a 2300 on her SATs and has a business degree from Wharton. The show starts out as a hilarious one woman show with Ms. Dennings showing off her finely honed comedy chops, and is slowly developed into a well-rounded story with Caroline establishing herself as Max's new friend and roommate. To relate any of Denning's brilliant, sarcastic one-liners would ruin it. But this is one sit-com to truly treasure. It's brilliantly written and brilliantly performed. Even the smallest touches are wonderful. Garrett Morris (late of "Saturday Night Live") is hilarious as the check-out clerk. He might have only had 3-4 lines, but they were memorable to mention here. Kudos to Kat Dennings & Beth Behrs. Lucy & Ethel for the 21st century.

Not as good.

Author: ROUS Reviews from Maine
27 September 2011

Reviews Of Unusual Size! Re: The girls get in a fight about breaking up with Max's boyfriend, eat cupcakes and fall in horse poo.

Outstanding: Still somewhat amusing. The cute old black guy was cuter and blacker than before.

Unacceptable: The horse poo looked nothing like actual horse poo, the Bacon and Cool Ranch chips they were eating only said "Ranch" on the package. A drop in quality from the last episode.

Summary: A pretty severe drop. Either that, or I was in an easier to please mood for that last episode. The jokes were worse and came less often than the last episode. I'll still watch a couple, but this was disappointing.