IMDb > "Perception" Messenger (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

« Prev | 5 of 39 Episodes | Next »

Another winner

Author: kols from United States
7 August 2012

Watching this week, I saw the unfolding of an interesting but mundane who-dun-it until Joan D'Arc got involved, getting an impassioned denunciation of God for her efforts and totally engaging me for the rest of the episode. Eric McCormack's delivery of that denunciation was a tour de force. Writing wasn't bad, either. Turned a "Yes delete" into a keeper.

Given the context - a murder committed among a bunch of people who think they have a direct line to that God - it was a miracle that I'd hadn't fast forwarded to "delete" long before Joan showed up. That speaks to the writing, which kept me interested enough to put up with the irritating piety, and the characters of Pierce, Moretti and Vincent, who I just plain like watching.

Joan's presence even made what would have been a nice but too "miraculous" ending both palatable and believable, kinda.

Anyway, while not within a candle's length of last week's episode (nothing much could be), writing and acting kicked this episode at least one standard deviation above the norm. Maybe two.